USMB Coffee Shop IV

We like lots of storage in the kitchen and all around the house but we are not modern traditionalists when it comes to kitchens, we love the old colorful retro look.

digsdigs.com4_.jpg

bhg.com6_.jpg

digsdigs.com9_.jpg

thekitchn.com_.jpg
Too bright, too pastel! Especially that first turquoise one. :p
Color stimulates the mind.......... (beige is not a color, it's an abomination.......) :eusa_whistle:

But I don't see beige. I see earth tone accented with colors that change with the seasons, functional, aesthetically pleasing, and (for Montro) all would be as easy to clean as would be any other kitchen.

We like lots of storage in the kitchen and all around the house but we are not modern traditionalists when it comes to kitchens, we love the old colorful retro look.

digsdigs.com4_.jpg

bhg.com6_.jpg

digsdigs.com9_.jpg

thekitchn.com_.jpg
Color stimulates the mind.......... (beige is not a color, it's an abomination.......) :eusa_whistle:

But I don't see beige. I see earth tone accented with colors that change with the seasons, functional, aesthetically pleasing, and (for Montro) all would be as easy to clean as would be any other kitchen.

All kitchens are not equal when it comes to cleaning! Not only is there the issue of size, some have more nooks and crannies to get to than others. I'd like a kitchen where everything was rectangular and fit seamlessly together, so I had as few surfaces to get clean as possible. :)

digsdigs.com4_.jpg

bhg.com6_.jpg

digsdigs.com9_.jpg

thekitchn.com_.jpg

Light shade "earth tone" is a code for all shades of beige........ :D

But "beige" was a random thought, an add on not necessarily associated with the pictures you posted.

digsdigs.com4_.jpg

bhg.com6_.jpg

digsdigs.com9_.jpg

thekitchn.com_.jpg

But "beige" was a random thought, an add on not necessarily associated with the pictures you posted.

My problem with your retro kitchens you offered as examples is that every splatter, every scratch, every smudge would show up glaringly. In an earth tone kitchen you can get away with a few flaws for awhile until you have time to do necessary cleaning and repair. And the colors are so overwhelming and unable to be modified with other decor is I think I would tire of them quickly. But who knows? I haven't actually tried it.

When we bought our new kitchen stove we went with the smooth ceramic top. It also shows every splatter and smudge but at least is fairly easy to clean and once clean it is clean with no further maintenance needed. No discolored burners or cooked on junk on the drip pans to clean--no cleaning out spills under the drip pans. I didn't realize what messy cooks we were until we got it though. :)

digsdigs.com4_.jpg

bhg.com6_.jpg

digsdigs.com9_.jpg

thekitchn.com_.jpg

My problem with your retro kitchens you offered as examples is that every splatter, every scratch, every smudge would show up glaringly. In an earth tone kitchen you can get away with a few flaws for awhile until you have time to do necessary cleaning and repair. And the colors are so overwhelming and unable to be modified with other decor is I think I would tire of them quickly. But who knows? I haven't actually tried it.

When we bought our new kitchen stove we went with the smooth ceramic top. It also shows every splatter and smudge but at least is fairly easy to clean and once clean it is clean with no further maintenance needed. No discolored burners or cooked on junk on the drip pans to clean--no cleaning out spills under the drip pans. I didn't realize what messy cooks we were until we got it though. :)

The kitchen is one of the few rooms where people will generally accept a lot of black, I think that's the way to go! >:)

digsdigs.com4_.jpg

bhg.com6_.jpg

digsdigs.com9_.jpg

thekitchn.com_.jpg

I used to have a black smooth top and it showed all the dirt, as well as streaks when not cleaned perfectly. Now I have a speckled pattern, and it's so much nicer.:thup:

amana-white-smooth-top-range-stove-oven-used-americanlisted_37091477.jpg

The kitchen is one of the few rooms where people will generally accept a lot of black, I think that's the way to go! >:)

My preference is lighter cabinets, and I love blue with some yellow accents...bright and cheery.:)

Blue-and-Yellow-Kitchens-in-French-Styles-600x400.jpg

amusing-traditional-blue-and-white-kitchen-design-also-light-blue-wall-color-also-white-kitchen-island-and-kitchen-table-with-gray-granite-countertops-also-unique-pendant-lights-and-stainless-cooker.jpg

My preference is lighter cabinets, and I love blue with some yellow accents...bright and cheery.:)

amusing-traditional-blue-and-white-kitchen-design-also-light-blue-wall-color-also-white-kitchen-island-and-kitchen-table-with-gray-granite-countertops-also-unique-pendant-lights-and-stainless-cooker.jpg

Pretty but not quite me. In southwestern décor it might look something like this:

a-KITCHEN-UPDATE-640x468.jpg

I am a generally dark person. :FIREdevil:

Been playing with the wife's desktop (the one she hasn't used in 3+ years). It's RAID configured I tried to load Ubuntu on it....... It wouldn't take the RAID configuration and wiped the Root systems. Ended up disconnecting one HD and am now loading Windows back on it so I have a properly formatted HD to install Ubuntu. I also ordered a new 1TB HD (hard drive) though I might cancel the order if the Windows reload/Ubuntu install works.

Been playing with the wife's desktop (the one she hasn't used in 3+ years). It's RAID configured I tried to load Ubuntu on it....... It wouldn't take the RAID configuration and wiped the Root systems. Ended up disconnecting one HD and am now loading Windows back on it so I have a properly formatted HD to install Ubuntu. I also ordered a new 1TB HD (hard drive) though I might cancel the order if the Windows reload/Ubuntu install works.

Can you use gparted or something like that on a flash drive to format it for Ubuntu? I've never messed with a RAID configuration. I've only got 2 HDs in the Vista PC and 1 in the Linux anyway. I have a 1TB HD upstairs in the closet, but that is the old external that I couldn't read with Windows and had to use MacPup to get the data from. I don't think I should be messing with that too much. :lol:

Considering the size of SATA drives these days, I doubt I'll end up trying a RAID.

Maybe Daschal can fill us in on the details?

12002032_10206596879515039_4924957688331365403_n.jpg
I've seen that up close.

About 20 years ago, I went to Manchester on a service call.
I worked my butt off on my first day and had Saturday to kill. I took a train to London. I arrived at Houston (pronounced Usten) Station. I had about 10 hours to spend there, so I took the underground to go see Westminster Abby, Buckingham Palace, and whatever else I could manage in such a short time. My little pamphlet told me to go to Westminster Station. The system is very well marked and finding the right train was quite easy.
I got to my stop and hopped on the longest escalator I have ever seen. I arrived at street level and moved to my left to get out of the way. I pulled out my pamphlet and was looking for the clock tower when a Cockney woman selling pansies asked if she could help.
It took a while to understand her, but finally I told her that I thought I should be able to see Big Ben from where I was.
Her eyes just about danced and I doubt she has smiled so broadly since. Her eyes moved from mine to a point far above my head, just as I heard this deafening BONG.
I was standing within arm's length of the tower.

Last edited:
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre,
Hossfly for wellness for his trip this week,
Gracie's Karma,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Alan1 and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

8cbc2c0264e08dd081cee71ce7407876.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Can you use gparted or something like that on a flash drive to format it for Ubuntu? I've never messed with a RAID configuration. I've only got 2 HDs in the Vista PC and 1 in the Linux anyway. I have a 1TB HD upstairs in the closet, but that is the old external that I couldn't read with Windows and had to use MacPup to get the data from. I don't think I should be messing with that too much. :lol:

Considering the size of SATA drives these days, I doubt I'll end up trying a RAID.
It was two older SATA 1 250GB drives, one was the original I kept Vista on as a D: drive for the wife to access her old files, the other was the one I installed when I rebuilt her old HP after the mobo started to go bad, Ubuntu saw it as a RAID configuration and tried to set it up that way, when it failed it killed the root on the primary. I was able to load Win 7 back on the original but it's a Win 7 already in use on another computer so will not be authenticated and though I tried to install Ubuntu over it Ubuntu would not recognize the root. For now I'll put the new HD in when it arrives and then load Ubuntu but most likely it will be a test computer or I'll just donate it as the wife isn't interested, she has her laptop and is happy with it.
As it is I have to go through all my computer parts, destroy the old hard drives and cull all the older hardware that I will never use not to mention the 100 or so assorted cables...... I can empty 2 or 3 boxes that will never have to be packed or moved again. :thup:

Hello everybody... I'm still around. Happily so too! Today was an interesting kind of day. I took the RV down to the dealer to have it winterized. Before I left the house, Mrs. BBD suddenly said that she would like to go. I said "Great. I'll even take you out to lunch when they finish up the winterization of the RV." So, off to Rockford we went. We got to the dealership and they carried it into the shop to begin to winterize it. Mrs. BBD said we should look at some Fifth Wheels to pass the time. So we began to look at them. To make a long story short, we no longer own the RV but we do own a very pretty fifth wheel that Mrs. BBD is in love with. I was going to buy a new truck next month but it looks like I need to move up the purchase of the new truck so I can haul the new fifth wheel home. I got an excellent deal on the fifth wheel and am having them add a tankless hot water heater so Mrs. BBD will be able to take her 45 minute showers she is so famous for. I got my tummy rubbed earlier this evening and she even scratched me behind my ears. It's been an interesting day.

Hello everybody... I'm still around. Happily so too! Today was an interesting kind of day. I took the RV down to the dealer to have it winterized. Before I left the house, Mrs. BBD suddenly said that she would like to go. I said "Great. I'll even take you out to lunch when they finish up the winterization of the RV." So, off to Rockford we went. We got to the dealership and they carried it into the shop to begin to winterize it. Mrs. BBD said we should look at some Fifth Wheels to pass the time. So we began to look at them. To make a long story short, we no longer own the RV but we do own a very pretty fifth wheel that Mrs. BBD is in love with. I was going to buy a new truck next month but it looks like I need to move up the purchase of the new truck so I can haul the new fifth wheel home. I got an excellent deal on the fifth wheel and am having them add a tankless hot water heater so Mrs. BBD will be able to take her 45 minute showers she is so famous for. I got my tummy rubbed earlier this evening and she even scratched me behind my ears. It's been an interesting day.
Good to see you're doin' well!

Are you a sock?

Forum List

Back