USMB Coffee Shop IV

I just loaded serious sam 2nd edition on my computer and it was made for windows xp, but it does run on windows 7. But after a few minutes of playing it I uninstalled it, because it is to much of a come down compared to modern games.

You have to be prepared when you decide to play older games. :p

Yea, it seemed like a good idea until I saw the cheezy graphics. I guess that means my fantasy of playing some of my really old windows 98 games would be a downer too. I bet I could not bother with them when I see what they are like. Memory fails me, and I tend to think they were better than they are.

The wife goes in Wednesday for a possible full knee replacement. They were thinking it would only be a partial but after the CT Scan they're not so sure, the Doc will make an inter-operative decision once he's able to see it with his own eyes.

Nope, the first time I played it was a fluke, now the game keeps locking up. Bummer.
My old duo-core would play that with no problem.
I keep tellin' ya, you need a new computer......... :D
Or add a 1 gig (minimum) graphics card.

I had my computer built to my specs one year ago and it has 8megs ram and a 1 gig video gforce card.
But the processor is only 3.2 gig intel and it is clearly the problem. What is worse I just checked the system requirements and I will not be able to play doom 4 either. CURSES, CURSES.

Clearly you meant 8 gigs of RAM. :)

You should check what kind of chip your motherboard can handle. It might not cost that much to upgrade if it will help and you don't want to put together a whole new machine. :dunno:

I was just looking at processors and an intel i7 costs over three hundred pounds. that is almost as much as I paid for my entire base unit. In any case I doubt my motherboard would handle it.
No it wouldn't but why go Intel when AMD is pretty much as good and half the price. My gaming rebuild cost me around $500 but only because I installed 32 GBs Ram and had to replace the CD/DVD drive that went bad. What size power supply do you have?

Nope, the first time I played it was a fluke, now the game keeps locking up. Bummer.

I had my computer built to my specs one year ago and it has 8megs ram and a 1 gig video gforce card.
But the processor is only 3.2 gig intel and it is clearly the problem. What is worse I just checked the system requirements and I will not be able to play doom 4 either. CURSES, CURSES.

You should check what kind of chip your motherboard can handle. It might not cost that much to upgrade if it will help and you don't want to put together a whole new machine. :dunno:
Depends on how old his mobo is, the way he was talking before it's really old original DDR 1 technology, no hyper-threading or crossfire. If the case is fine, his PS is 450Watts and above, his optical player is good and his HHD is good he can upgrade with a $50 mobo, a $100 AMD quad core, a 2GB graphics card for around $60 and 8GBs ddr3 RAM for around $80, under $300 max.

My motherboard is a gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2. It currently has an intel processor and I do not know if I can fit an AM3 processor in this motherboard. As far as I recall I have a 500watt power supply.

Edit: I have been reading the motherboard manual and it says the gigabyte web site has a list of supported processors. So I will be able to check it out.

Last edited:
My motherboard is a gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2. It currently has an intel processor and I do not know if I can fit an AM3 processor in this motherboard. As far as I recall I have a 500watt power supply.
No, you would need a new motherboard. That is a 2013 (year) release so it should support DDR3. What graphics card are you using or are you using on board graphics?

No, you would need a new motherboard. That is a 2013 (year) release so it should support DDR3. What graphics card are you using or are you using on board graphics?

Thanks for the info. I just spent twenty minutes on the gigabyte web site without finding out anything.

My video card appears to be an Asus GT 630 1Gig ddr3

Thanks for the info. I just spent twenty minutes on the gigabyte web site without finding out anything.

My video card appears to be an Asus GT 630 1Gig ddr3
Okay, you shouldn't be having any problems unless your RAM is 4GBs or less and/or you're using an older solo core. With what you have you wouldn't need to upgrade to an i7 processor. With 8GBs of ram (minimum and a good i5 processor it should run all but the newest super high graphics games fairly well.
You have a socket 1150, it you're not already running a quad core here's one that will fit.
https://www.allhdd.com/?subcats=Y&p...ducts.search&gclid=CPSWy6uV4cgCFRAvaQod7sIGwQ

$142 is a great price for that processor.

Or if you're already running a quad then upgrade your graphics card to a 4GB card.

https://www.allhdd.com/?subcats=Y&p...ducts.search&gclid=CPSWy6uV4cgCFRAvaQod7sIGwQ

I finally figured out the Gigabyte web site and my motherboard will support an intel i7 4 gig processor.
Trouble is they cost £329, that's a lot of money, just to play a couple of games. I would get a better video card too so upgrading will end up costing me more than the original computer.

Edit, you posted while I was writing the above. I have tried playing the game again but it is hopeless, it just freezes up all the time. I will look at the specs of the processor you mentioned.

Depends on how old his mobo is, the way he was talking before it's really old original DDR 1 technology, no hyper-threading or crossfire. If the case is fine, his PS is 450Watts and above, his optical player is good and his HHD is good he can upgrade with a $50 mobo, a $100 AMD quad core, a 2GB graphics card for around $60 and 8GBs ddr3 RAM for around $80, under $300 max.

I got an FX6300 6-core for $100 when I put my PC together. I think it is still around that price on amazon or newegg. My video card is only a 1GB but it uses DDR5, which I had read might be more important for performance than extra RAM. It was around $60. I got an 8G stick of DDR3 for about $45 I think.

I've always gotten AMD. There isn't enough difference between AMD and Intel to spend the extra IMO. :)

I finally figured out the Gigabyte web site and my motherboard will support an intel i7 4 gig processor.
Trouble is they cost £329, that's a lot of money, just to play a couple of games. I would get a better video card too so upgrading will end up costing me more than the original computer.

Edit, you posted while I was writing the above. I have tried playing the game again but it is hopeless, it just freezes up all the time. I will look at the specs of the processor you mentioned.

It's also possible that you either had a problem with the install or have some sort of virus/malware on your PC. You should run scans and try to uninstall/reinstall the game before you buy anything if you aren't certain the chip is the problem. :)

I just checked the page you listed and I see it is an i5 processor. The shop I had my computer built at does not have one listed in its components list, but I dare say I can get them to order one.

It's also possible that you either had a problem with the install or have some sort of virus/malware on your PC. You should run scans and try to uninstall/reinstall the game before you buy anything if you aren't certain the chip is the problem. :)

Hi, no I do not have any running problems on my computer and I recently played deus ex on it without troubles.
In any case I tried to play rage on my old computer and it did the same thing, freezing up all the time. But rage ran perfectly on my new computer,I am sure it is just not powerful enough to handle wofenstein.

I have made a decision. I am not going to upgrade my computer until next spring, when doom 4 is released.
By that time intel i7 processors might have come down in price. In any case I have other games to play.
So I will have to put 'wolfenstein the old blood' on one side until next year.

Last edited:

I got an FX6300 6-core for $100 when I put my PC together. I think it is still around that price on amazon or newegg. My video card is only a 1GB but it uses DDR5, which I had read might be more important for performance than extra RAM. It was around $60. I got an 8G stick of DDR3 for about $45 I think.

I've always gotten AMD. There isn't enough difference between AMD and Intel to spend the extra IMO. :)
People try to compare AMD to Intel based on how Intel processors work, AMD works differently but even so Intel currently has the speed advantage but not by much.

I have made a decision. I am not going to upgrade my computer until next spring, when doom 4 is released.
By that time intel i7 processors might have come down in price. In any case I have other games to play.
Save up your money and for around $600 (just under 400 GBP) you can have an awesome AMD gaming machine.

Save up your money and for around $600 (just under 400 GBP) you can have an awesome AMD gaming machine.

With the decline of games for personal computers I am wondering if it is worth the money. I might take a look at playstation and xbox games to see if the games I want are on them. If I got one of those consoles I could connect it to my 32 inch 3D TV and play the games in 3D.
Of course I could connect my computer to the TV but it would be awkward to operate from a chair using a keyboard and mouse. I have a 19 inch LCD monitor, and I sit at a desk to use my computer.

With the decline of games for personal computers I am wondering if it is worth the money. I might take a look at playstation and xbox games to see if the games I want are on them. If I got one of those consoles I could connect it to my 32 inch 3D TV and play the games in 3D.
Of course I could connect my computer to the TV but it would be awkward to operate from a chair using a keyboard and mouse. I have a 19 inch LCD monitor, and I sit at a desk to use my computer.
Hey, whatever works for you but last I checked when they make games for gaming consoles they also make them for PCs. Despite the prediction of the demise of large desktops that market seems to be doing fine. While people like their portables they also like having a home system for many things, especially gaming, heck desktop sales are on the rise and there was more than one reason Microsoft developed Windows 10, they realized the desktop wasn't an endangered species.

Forum List

Back