USMB Coffee Shop IV

Was bad today...... made a pot roast....... with lots of gravy....... :D

That's not bad. That sounds yummy. When I went for my late September appointment with my doctor, she did not want me to lose any more weight until everything stabilizes after my surgery and according to blood work last week, I am guessing I am still aways out from that happening--haven't talked with her about it yet. But got on the scales while ago and I'm down another 10 pounds in the last couple of weeks. While I think most of that was excess fluid I was carrying, I think I do need to slow the weight loss and roast and gravy just might help. The problem is, with this painful shoulder it hurts to do almost anything including cooking and that takes away a lot of motivation.

Oh and good morning everybody. Fell asleep again last night without posting the vigil list, but Mrs. Ringel's knee will go on it tonight. Almost all of those kinds of knee replacement surgeries, while one of the most painful, do produce very good results.

We are concerned about our daughter who has developed a bone spur kind of issue in her cervical spine. While not incapacitating, it is painful and requires surgery to remove--she is schedule to meet with a neurosurgeon and get that going. It is so much harder when it is one of your kids though.

But in keeping with all the computer discussion stuff lately:

10850071_1513215285604849_7884613285611984999_n.jpg

Well, its 5.40 in the morning and I could not sleep for thinking about how it would cost me about £500 to upgrade my computer just to play a couple of games. Then it occurred to me to try tweaking the settings of the video card. So I got up and reduced the definition of the screen and blow me, it works. I now seem to be able to play 'Wolfenstein the old blood' I hope the same trick works on Doom 4 when it comes out, if so I will not have to upgrade for some time.
I was also considering trying to overclock my processor, but that's a little scary.

Oh, yeah, always turn your settings down as far as you can if you are having choppiness or freezing issues. If you don't mind playing at the lowest settings (and usually these days those low settings aren't that bad) you can play a lot of games. :)

My idea of cooking a meal is a tin of spaghetti and a tin of stewed steak. Mostly I eat chicken salads.
I often do quick meals, fry up some chicken breasts or thighs and heat up some frozen veggies in the microwave. Another easy one is a cook up a tube of breakfast sausage, add frozen green beans and whatever seasoning you like. Quick and easy.
Then there's always cheap hotdogs cut up into a can of pork and beans with diced onions and hot sauce.
(I add a little molasses, brown sugar and ketchup).

A regular gourmet chef, you are! :D You guys and your microwave cooking!
I use the microwave to warm up leftovers, "cook" frozen dinners and heat frozen veggies, I refuse to actually cook anything in the microwave.

Back in March I mentioned resigning from our local airport advisory committee. I cited several reason in my letter of resignation, most of them pointing to an uncooperative airport manger. I happened to read a local newspaper the other day and found an article talking about the airport manager's firing and what the reasons for his dismal were. No one would give a reason, but apparently reference was given to my letter and all of what I had stated has been revealed to be factual. On the one hand I feel vindicated about my decision to leave the board and write the resignation letter. I feel some good can come out of my frustration. On the other hand I am saddened the manager could not change for his own benefit.
We all have a voice. Not many use that voice. Thank you for making a difference!

Mostly likely I saved a pilot's life between the PAPI being repaired and the fuel pump filter replaced (last time was 1989).

Well, its 5.40 in the morning and I could not sleep for thinking about how it would cost me about £500 to upgrade my computer just to play a couple of games. Then it occurred to me to try tweaking the settings of the video card. So I got up and reduced the definition of the screen and blow me, it works. I now seem to be able to play 'Wolfenstein the old blood' I hope the same trick works on Doom 4 when it comes out, if so I will not have to upgrade for some time.
I was also considering trying to overclock my processor, but that's a little scary.

Oh, yeah, always turn your settings down as far as you can if you are having choppiness or freezing issues. If you don't mind playing at the lowest settings (and usually these days those low settings aren't that bad) you can play a lot of games. :)
Yeah, forgot about that one...... Tried that on the old DDR 2 machine not long ago, worked...... mostly.

The wife goes in Wednesday for a possible full knee replacement. They were thinking it would only be a partial but after the CT Scan they're not so sure, the Doc will make an inter-operative decision once he's able to see it with his own eyes.
OMG! That sounds complicated...and painful!
Not really complicated these days, actually quite routine but yes it's painful. They've come a long way with it, in the "old days" they would literally replace the knee with a whole new section, now it's much less drastic. Here's what a full replacement looks like;

knee_fixed_bearing-300x177.jpg

The parts are rated for 28 years with average usage, obviously less with heavy usage like serious sports competition, running, etc.
A partial would be only one side which is what they (and we) are hoping for but if the medial (inside) is also bad enough they'll do the whole thing because she's young enough that they don't want to have to go back in a couple of years down the road and redo it all.
It's what I need for both knees........ Mine are in much worse shape than hers but I have to wait for the VA to finally approve it........ They'll try everything else first including waiting for me to die before they have to do it........ :eusa_whistle:

Are they going to wait until you're in a wheelchair and have lost mobility? WTH is wrong with them? :rolleyes-41: I find this kind of thing to be very aggravating, and there are no excuses.
Let's put it this way, I know a girl who's dad went in to the VA complaining of severe headaches, they told him to take aspirin and made an appointment to see his provider 3 months down the road, a week later he had a stroke........
Granted the VA care providers are generally understaffed, overworked and underpaid, most of the primary care providers are not MDs, they're Nurse Practitioners, Physicians Assistants, Medical Chiropractors, etc. Many are really good, not all are.
As for my issue it's the government, start at step one and proceed onward step by step to step one thousand, mostly based on medical practices from a couple of years (or decades) ago and never perform a procedure unless absolutely medically (or politically) necessary so yeah, they may be waiting for me to become wheelchair bound.

My idea of cooking a meal is a tin of spaghetti and a tin of stewed steak. Mostly I eat chicken salads.
I often do quick meals, fry up some chicken breasts or thighs and heat up some frozen veggies in the microwave. Another easy one is a cook up a tube of breakfast sausage, add frozen green beans and whatever seasoning you like. Quick and easy.
Then there's always cheap hotdogs cut up into a can of pork and beans with diced onions and hot sauce.

I use the microwave to warm up leftovers, "cook" frozen dinners and heat frozen veggies, I refuse to actually cook anything in the microwave.

Same here. I love those 'steamable' veggies they put out now. Throw the package in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes, open, season, and serve a generous portion to the two of us to compliment whatever protein and starch we are having. They look and taste farm fresh which essentially they are. Stouffer's frozen lasagna and things like that are excellent after a bit in the microwave too but you are mostly heating and not cooking. Otherwise, except for popcorn and bacon, we don't 'cook' in the microwave either.

Same here. I love those 'steamable' veggies they put out now. Throw the package in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes, open, season, and serve a generous portion to the two of us to compliment whatever protein and starch we are having. They look and taste farm fresh which essentially they are. Stouffer's frozen lasagna and things like that are excellent after a bit in the microwave too but you are mostly heating and not cooking. Otherwise, except for popcorn and bacon, we don't 'cook' in the microwave either.

Um....isn't cooking heating? :p

Um....isn't cooking heating? :p

In my never to be considered humble opinion, cooking is both a science and an art and will result in a chemical reaction or change in the ingredients used. Heating simply changes the temperature of that which has already been cooked or is not intended to be cooked.

Last week was not a very good week at all for us.

Not only did we have to get a new fridge, but one of our best friends, fiancé died.
They had just recently gotten engaged 2 weeks before right after her birthday.
She had double pneumonia.
She went into the hospital on Tue. night and by Thur. morning she was dead.
She had just turned 50 just a few weeks ago.
It is hard to deal with when it happens so quickly and when they die so young like that.

Not only did we have to get a new fridge, but one of our best friends, fiancé died.
It is hard to deal with when it happens so quickly and when they die so young like that.

Especially when almost nobody dies of pneumonia any more. I can fully empathisze wtth you on the new fridge project having gone through our own odyssey on that this past year, and also know how much you care for your friend especially when there is nothing to do for him but be there for him.

Especially when almost nobody dies of pneumonia any more. I can fully empathisze wtth you on the new fridge project having gone through our own odyssey on that this past year, and also know how much you care for your friend especially when there is nothing to do for him but be there for him.

My husband and his other friends who have trucks are going to help him and her family move her things out over the next few days.

My husband and his other friends who have trucks are going to help him and her family move her things out over the next few days.

Heartbreaking duty.

I am upgrading my linux distribution to from 15.02 to 15.10; much like upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
Unlike with Windows, my computer is fully functional while the process is underway. When done, I will get a notification to reboot if I want to

I am upgrading my linux distribution to from 15.02 to 15.10; much like upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
Unlike with Windows, my computer is fully functional while the process is underway. When done, I will get a notification to reboot if I want to

Ubuntu?
Kubuntu, actually. I HATE Gnome. I've been running Linux since 1995 and still use KDE or occasionally Xfrce as my window manager.

Forum List

Back