USMB Coffee Shop IV

1390598342795660_tall.jpg

I am upgrading my linux distribution to from 15.02 to 15.10; much like upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
Unlike with Windows, my computer is fully functional while the process is underway. When done, I will get a notification to reboot if I want to

Ubuntu?
Kubuntu, actually. I HATE Gnome. I've been running Linux since 1995 and still use KDE or occasionally Xfrce as my window manager.
And I'm a Gnome fan...... :dunno:

Last week was not a very good week at all for us.

Not only did we have to get a new fridge, but one of our best friends, fiancé died.
They had just recently gotten engaged 2 weeks before right after her birthday.
She had double pneumonia.
She went into the hospital on Tue. night and by Thur. morning she was dead.
She had just turned 50 just a few weeks ago.
It is hard to deal with when it happens so quickly and when they die so young like that.
So sorry to read that, Peach! Best wishes to all.

Still not below freezing here. The termination dust is barely frosting the tops of the surrounding mountains. My only complaint is, the goats' pens are still almost knee deep mud. If it would freeze up, things would be easier for all concerned.
I finally got my application for the full-time professorship at the University posted on line. The woman who runs HR let the powers-that-be know a new application was available. But really, after teaching as an adjunct for 15 years, I would be very curious if I did not get this position. I'm just wondering if I'll withstand the stress of changing not just my job, but my entire lifestyle. I've worked graveyard shift since I got my license. Now, it's an 8-to-5, Mon-to-Fri job with summers and Christmas off.
....wait...that doesn't really look so bad, does it? I think it's going to depend on the salary they offer more than anything. I know what I need to equal what I earn now.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre,
Pogo's brother,
Gracie's Karma,
GW's new job and water logged goats,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern with a special RIP for Bert.

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Alan1 and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

hotel-troll_1487452i.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre,
Pogo's brother,
Gracie's Karma,
GW's new job and water logged goats,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern with a special RIP for Bert.

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Alan1 and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

hotel-troll_1487452i.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

That house needs to blow its nose! :p

I am upgrading my linux distribution to from 15.02 to 15.10; much like upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
Unlike with Windows, my computer is fully functional while the process is underway. When done, I will get a notification to reboot if I want to

Ubuntu?
Kubuntu, actually. I HATE Gnome. I've been running Linux since 1995 and still use KDE or occasionally Xfrce as my window manager.

I think I tried Kubuntu for a bit. I didn't like it enough to stick with it, but I think that was an issue with Ubuntu in general. Mint seems a bit more GUI oriented.

I don't know what to compare GNOME to really. :dunno:

Ubuntu?
And I'm a Gnome fan...... :dunno:
I liked it around redhat 2 or so, but they started with that file manager that did everything but close. I don't even remember the name of it, just that I found it more obnoxious than Windows 95. KDE seemed to be intuitive and easy to use without cluttering my screen with something that did everything, but did it poorly.
Until the latest version, KDE did let you assign different wallpaper to your virtual desktops,a feature that WILL be back if I have anything to do with it.

Ubuntu?

I think I tried Kubuntu for a bit. I didn't like it enough to stick with it, but I think that was an issue with Ubuntu in general. Mint seems a bit more GUI oriented.

Windows only uglier?

Was bad today...... made a pot roast....... with lots of gravy....... :D

My idea of cooking a meal is a tin of spaghetti and a tin of stewed steak. Mostly I eat chicken salads.
I often do quick meals, fry up some chicken breasts or thighs and heat up some frozen veggies in the microwave. Another easy one is a cook up a tube of breakfast sausage, add frozen green beans and whatever seasoning you like. Quick and easy.
Then there's always cheap hotdogs cut up into a can of pork and beans with diced onions and hot sauce.
(I add a little molasses, brown sugar and ketchup).

A regular gourmet chef, you are! :D You guys and your microwave cooking!
I use the microwave to warm up leftovers, "cook" frozen dinners and heat frozen veggies, I refuse to actually cook anything in the microwave.

I won't even do that anymore. I find things like veggies, fried rice, etc. are much better if you heat them in a pan on the stove top, and chicken wings, etc., in the oven. I hardly ever use my microwave anymore, except for when I have hot coffee, I heat that in the microwave. I simply don't like the texture it gives to food, but I have a really old one too.

The wife goes in Wednesday for a possible full knee replacement. They were thinking it would only be a partial but after the CT Scan they're not so sure, the Doc will make an inter-operative decision once he's able to see it with his own eyes.
OMG! That sounds complicated...and painful!
Not really complicated these days, actually quite routine but yes it's painful. They've come a long way with it, in the "old days" they would literally replace the knee with a whole new section, now it's much less drastic. Here's what a full replacement looks like;

knee_fixed_bearing-300x177.jpg

The parts are rated for 28 years with average usage, obviously less with heavy usage like serious sports competition, running, etc.
A partial would be only one side which is what they (and we) are hoping for but if the medial (inside) is also bad enough they'll do the whole thing because she's young enough that they don't want to have to go back in a couple of years down the road and redo it all.
It's what I need for both knees........ Mine are in much worse shape than hers but I have to wait for the VA to finally approve it........ They'll try everything else first including waiting for me to die before they have to do it........ :eusa_whistle:

Are they going to wait until you're in a wheelchair and have lost mobility? WTH is wrong with them? :rolleyes-41: I find this kind of thing to be very aggravating, and there are no excuses.
Let's put it this way, I know a girl who's dad went in to the VA complaining of severe headaches, they told him to take aspirin and made an appointment to see his provider 3 months down the road, a week later he had a stroke........
Granted the VA care providers are generally understaffed, overworked and underpaid, most of the primary care providers are not MDs, they're Nurse Practitioners, Physicians Assistants, Medical Chiropractors, etc. Many are really good, not all are.
As for my issue it's the government, start at step one and proceed onward step by step to step one thousand, mostly based on medical practices from a couple of years (or decades) ago and never perform a procedure unless absolutely medically (or politically) necessary so yeah, they may be waiting for me to become wheelchair bound.

I don't think it's a very good idea for them to wait when it comes to something like that because they longer they wait, the more damage is done.

The wife goes in Wednesday for a possible full knee replacement. They were thinking it would only be a partial but after the CT Scan they're not so sure, the Doc will make an inter-operative decision once he's able to see it with his own eyes.
Not really complicated these days, actually quite routine but yes it's painful. They've come a long way with it, in the "old days" they would literally replace the knee with a whole new section, now it's much less drastic. Here's what a full replacement looks like;

The parts are rated for 28 years with average usage, obviously less with heavy usage like serious sports competition, running, etc.
A partial would be only one side which is what they (and we) are hoping for but if the medial (inside) is also bad enough they'll do the whole thing because she's young enough that they don't want to have to go back in a couple of years down the road and redo it all.
It's what I need for both knees........ Mine are in much worse shape than hers but I have to wait for the VA to finally approve it........ They'll try everything else first including waiting for me to die before they have to do it........ :eusa_whistle:

Are they going to wait until you're in a wheelchair and have lost mobility? WTH is wrong with them? :rolleyes-41: I find this kind of thing to be very aggravating, and there are no excuses.
Let's put it this way, I know a girl who's dad went in to the VA complaining of severe headaches, they told him to take aspirin and made an appointment to see his provider 3 months down the road, a week later he had a stroke........
Granted the VA care providers are generally understaffed, overworked and underpaid, most of the primary care providers are not MDs, they're Nurse Practitioners, Physicians Assistants, Medical Chiropractors, etc. Many are really good, not all are.
As for my issue it's the government, start at step one and proceed onward step by step to step one thousand, mostly based on medical practices from a couple of years (or decades) ago and never perform a procedure unless absolutely medically (or politically) necessary so yeah, they may be waiting for me to become wheelchair bound.

I don't think it's a very good idea for them to wait when it comes to something like that because they longer they wait, the more damage is done.
For all intent and purposes it's the government, it's how they work. :dunno:

Okay, in bed this morning at 1AM, up at 3:45AM to be at the medical center by 5:00AM for the wife's knee surgery. The doors didn't open till 5:00AM and registration didn't open till 5:30........ 6AM back in pre-op, 7:30 the doc shows up........ Oh and the cafeteria didn't open till 7:30..... Good thing I brought my travel mug full of coffee......
Sitting in the cafeteria now, she should be in surgery for a couple of hours then a couple of hours in post op. If they have to do a full knee they'll keep her overnight otherwise I'll take her home this afternoon.

For all intent and purposes it's the government, it's how they work. :dunno:

Lol! I hate the government! :mad:

Ubuntu?

If you're using Cinnamon (Mint version) you're using Muffin, a Gnome 3 fork, close but not truly Gnome 3.
One of the biggest issues people had with Gnome 3 was Ubuntu's Unity desktop, radically new and not as configurable as the old Gnome 2. It's become much more polished now and much more configurable though still not as much as KDE and others.

Okay, in bed this morning at 1AM, up at 3:45AM to be at the medical center by 5:00AM for the wife's knee surgery. The doors didn't open till 5:00AM and registration didn't open till 5:30........ 6AM back in pre-op, 7:30 the doc shows up........ Oh and the cafeteria didn't open till 7:30..... Good thing I brought my travel mug full of coffee......
Sitting in the cafeteria now, she should be in surgery for a couple of hours then a couple of hours in post op. If they have to do a full knee they'll keep her overnight otherwise I'll take her home this afternoon.

This afternoon? Wow that seems really quick especially for something that needs intense pain management. But she's at the top of my prayer/positive vibes list today.

I'll be leaving in roughly 15 minutes for my first physical therapy session on this frozen shoulder thing I have. I don't remember when I have experienced anything quite this persistently painful so I am not looking forward to it. I've been out of the hard drugs for awhile and really don't want to ask for more. After this session I may be begging though. :)

This afternoon? Wow that seems really quick especially for something that needs intense pain management. But she's at the top of my prayer/positive vibes list today.
Looks like they had to do a full knee, they're keeping her overnight. Just talked to the OR nurse, she's in post op now and will be going up to her room in about an hour.
She's still young and the procedure is so routine now that partial knee replacements are often done on an outpatient basis plus pain management has come a long way with portable narc pumps (PCAs).

Forum List

Back