USMB Coffee Shop IV

Mussels too. Mussels are SOOOO good.

23473328-clams-and-mussels-in-a-white-wine-and-garlic-broth-Stock-Photo.jpg

That has to be a mostly East coast thing. I don't recall mussels being on the menu in any restaurant around here, even the most prestigious fine dining ones. And they sure aren't on the traditional menus of folks around here whether Mexican, southwestern, New Mexican, Texan, Italian, various Asian cuisines, or southern which pretty well makes up the standard home fare around here. Nor were they in Texas or Kansas when I lived there.

So alas, I have never tasted mussels. :(
No one in Maine ate them until 20 years ago, either, because they were just all over the beach like seaweed at low tide. Then seafood restaurants realized if you put garlic and wine and lemon on them, they're a cheap substitute for clams, which are harder to dig.

I like them just as much as steamers. Yum! I went to Newport to the Red Parrot and had them. My God, they were so good.

Blast Microsoft. They are trying to railroad me into loading down windows 10. A message just came up asking me to schedule a download on Sunday, and cancelling the schedule was misleading. I very nearly clicked on the wrong button. The bastards had better not download it.

The girl is already seeing two guys, I'm adding a dentist. She makes apple sauce and needs to see the dentist. There, fixed.

That has to be a mostly East coast thing. I don't recall mussels being on the menu in any restaurant around here, even the most prestigious fine dining ones. And they sure aren't on the traditional menus of folks around here whether Mexican, southwestern, New Mexican, Texan, Italian, various Asian cuisines, or southern which pretty well makes up the standard home fare around here. Nor were they in Texas or Kansas when I lived there.

I like seafood, but clams, mussels, squid, eel, octopus. Not so much.

Have you ever tried steamed clams? You dip them in clarified butter. They are so good.
No, I haven't. My dad used to eat steamed clams on the half shell but it still has quite the "ick" factor for me. Hey Chris, have you seen my Recovery thread in Health and LIfestyle? I'd love your opinion on it.

Okay. I'll go look at it in a few! :)

One of my friends had never had a steamed clam, so I had her try one, and she ran to the bathroom and spit it out in the toilet. :lol:

What I did not know was these preparation drops actually make my vision worse.

I was driving to the northern part of the county this morning at 9:00, about 90 minutes after finishing all three of the drops, when I perceived a shape in front of me that made me beieve there was a slower car up front. It turned pit to be a shady spot.

I have taken myself off the road until things clear up.

The one drop I take three times daily seems to be made of lemon juice. The twice daily drops must contain Vasoline petroleum jelly. Quite a potent mixture f you expect to see anything.

I'm thinking about putting a seeing eye dog harness on Daisy the Mutt. But she would have me running into trees as she chases squirrels. I have to face facts. Daisy has no career path as a working dog. She will not pull her weight in greater service to mankind. Unless she can earn her way by sleeping 18 hours a day or chasing squirrels or rolling on her back to have her belly rubbed. She is merely ornamental.

Are they the kind of drops that dilate your pupils? My ex's mother had drops that actually made her pupils dilate, and it really affected her vision. Hopefully you have this taken care of soon and will be better.
They dilate alright! I'm wearing what are essentially welder's goggles right now. I get operated on tomorrow morning.

No one in Maine ate them until 20 years ago, either, because they were just all over the beach like seaweed at low tide. Then seafood restaurants realized if you put garlic and wine and lemon on them, they're a cheap substitute for clams, which are harder to dig.

Interesting. And I believe this is your first visit to the Coffee Shop, OldLady, and welcome. We are so happy you dropped in and we hope you find a refuge here from all the craziness out there on the board as many have. Of course you have to put up with our own brand of craziness in here. :) Just teasing. Anyway we're glad you came.

Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

View attachment 70445
Thanks! It looks lovely! Thanks, Ernie, too--depending on the day, they are both tempting.
If you decide to visit the coffee shop regularly, you'll get to know as friends some of the people you don't care much for on the rest of the board.
For instance, you'll learn that Foxfyre is everyone's mom. She loves us all but frowns on sibling rivalry. You'll learn that SaveLiberty is the world's first feline automotive sales manager. You'll learn that Galiant Warrior is a goat farmer, a professor and aircraft mechanic and is our representative from Alaska.
Me? I own a bar in Foley Alabama called Doc Holliday's.

I'm about the opposite. Don't much care for seafood with fins and scales. Love me some calamari oysters (cooked only) clams lobster crawfish shrimp etc.

I'm with you Ernie. I don't like anything that has a strong fishy taste. I had swordfish once. Blech! It was way too fishy tasting for my liking. I only like the flaky white fish, and I love shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster, clams and mussels. Never had a crawfish before though. :)

I was driving to the northern part of the county this morning at 9:00, about 90 minutes after finishing all three of the drops, when I perceived a shape in front of me that made me beieve there was a slower car up front. It turned pit to be a shady spot.

The one drop I take three times daily seems to be made of lemon juice. The twice daily drops must contain Vasoline petroleum jelly. Quite a potent mixture f you expect to see anything.

I'm thinking about putting a seeing eye dog harness on Daisy the Mutt. But she would have me running into trees as she chases squirrels. I have to face facts. Daisy has no career path as a working dog. She will not pull her weight in greater service to mankind. Unless she can earn her way by sleeping 18 hours a day or chasing squirrels or rolling on her back to have her belly rubbed. She is merely ornamental.

Are they the kind of drops that dilate your pupils? My ex's mother had drops that actually made her pupils dilate, and it really affected her vision. Hopefully you have this taken care of soon and will be better.
They dilate alright! I'm wearing what are essentially welder's goggles right now. I get operated on tomorrow morning.

Good luck to you! It'll all be worth it when you are able to see better, I'm sure. :)

Interesting. And I believe this is your first visit to the Coffee Shop, OldLady, and welcome. We are so happy you dropped in and we hope you find a refuge here from all the craziness out there on the board as many have. Of course you have to put up with our own brand of craziness in here. :) Just teasing. Anyway we're glad you came.

Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

View attachment 70445
Or you could head to Doc Hollidays for one of these:

348s.jpg

Well hmm. I have come to think of Doc Hollidays as a second home, Ernie, but in all due respect, I think I would prefer the Coffee shop beverage. :) (Even though I have no idea what is in that either.)
That's a bloody Mary. Not ours, but approaching our level. It is essentially tomato juice and vodka. The juice tends to be spicy, Ours is borderline brutal to anyone but Cajuns and people who live in the Southwest. The garnishes vary from a single stalk of celery to an array of picked veggies, chunks of citrus, slabs of cheese chunks of sausage and in rare instances a whole barbecues chicken.
At Doc's we hold the chicken and not much else.

Clams are a texture issue for me.

I was raised on that kind of food. My grandfather used to have a clambake every summer, so the texture is not a big deal for me.
Oysters are my texture thing. I can do clams raw but okra and oysters feel like something I should be spitting out.

They all have to be properly breaded, seasoned, and fried to be palatable for me. I just can't cotton to anything I don't have to swallow to eat.

Depends on how you look at it. Sometimes things that seem only 'ornamental' justify themselves by how they enhance our lives and are sometimes therapeutic. I'm guessing your daisy has great value in both categories.
It's funny that you used the word "therapeutic". I saw an article about Therapy Dogs on my local PBS station. Friendly happy dogs were taken to nursing homes and children's hospital wards and mental health shelters. The folks all seemed to love the visits from the dogs and the dogs loved the attention, as all dogs do.

Bingo! I thought 'here's a chance for Daisy the Mut to serve others. Daisy is born and bred to crawl up on laps and get her belly rubbed. She does it naturally. She was trained to be friendly and happy. I believe that dogs will behave exactly how they have been treated.

So I made a call to the folks who coordinate the therapy dog program. It turns out that Daisy would have to undergo more formal training to become a therapy dog than I would have to take to be a butcher in a butcher shop! Instincts and natural personality get you in the door, but 40 hours of training over several weekends are required to be petted by the elderly.

Last edited:

I'm about the opposite. Don't much care for seafood with fins and scales. Love me some calamari oysters (cooked only) clams lobster crawfish shrimp etc.

I'm with you Ernie. I don't like anything that has a strong fishy taste. I had swordfish once. Blech! It was way too fishy tasting for my liking. I only like the flaky white fish, and I love shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster, clams and mussels. Never had a crawfish before though. :)
They goo-oood you betcha when deyz boit up wid some gid hot Cajun spices.

A lot of work though; smaller than most shrimp and you gotta snap off their heads and peel back the shell.

They goo-oood you betcha when deyz boit up wid some gid hot Cajun spices.

A lot of work though; smaller than most shrimp and you gotta snap off their heads and peel back the shell.

It's a whole lot easier just to go to Pappadeaux.

Forum List

Back