USMB Coffee Shop IV

I pissed off a state worker this morning on an employer unemployment quarterly filing. :)

Then I made changes to an investment this afternoon.

Guessing we will be correcting both later in the month :(

Well, no worries, my car will be paid off by November of this year. :D

I just had to get my motor mount fixed. Apparently, they design things in newer cars to purposefully not last. There are actually PLASTIC pieces in the motor mount. It cost me around $260 dollars to have it repaired because they purposefully make it difficult to get at, so most of those charges are labor charges.

Mussels too. Mussels are SOOOO good.

23473328-clams-and-mussels-in-a-white-wine-and-garlic-broth-Stock-Photo.jpg

That has to be a mostly East coast thing. I don't recall mussels being on the menu in any restaurant around here, even the most prestigious fine dining ones. And they sure aren't on the traditional menus of folks around here whether Mexican, southwestern, New Mexican, Texan, Italian, various Asian cuisines, or southern which pretty well makes up the standard home fare around here. Nor were they in Texas or Kansas when I lived there.

So alas, I have never tasted mussels. :(
No one in Maine ate them until 20 years ago, either, because they were just all over the beach like seaweed at low tide. Then seafood restaurants realized if you put garlic and wine and lemon on them, they're a cheap substitute for clams, which are harder to dig.

I like them just as much as steamers. Yum! I went to Newport to the Red Parrot and had them. My God, they were so good.
To me they have a lot stronger flavor. But I'm not too proud to eat them, especially with garlic. Right now I'm off bivalves. Ordered fried clams in September and they had started to turn. Tasted faintly of ammonia and had softened to mushy consistency. The restaurant hurriedly gave me my money back. It's a wonder I wasn't ill, but I stopped eating them in time, I guess. So even looking at them right now makes me feel a little green around the gills.

I have to figure out how much a used vehicle is worth as a trade in in under 30 minutes. I am the service department's biggest customer.

I am proud to say I have not killed any of them yet.

Last edited:

That has to be a mostly East coast thing. I don't recall mussels being on the menu in any restaurant around here, even the most prestigious fine dining ones. And they sure aren't on the traditional menus of folks around here whether Mexican, southwestern, New Mexican, Texan, Italian, various Asian cuisines, or southern which pretty well makes up the standard home fare around here. Nor were they in Texas or Kansas when I lived there.

No one in Maine ate them until 20 years ago, either, because they were just all over the beach like seaweed at low tide. Then seafood restaurants realized if you put garlic and wine and lemon on them, they're a cheap substitute for clams, which are harder to dig.

I like them just as much as steamers. Yum! I went to Newport to the Red Parrot and had them. My God, they were so good.
To me they have a lot stronger flavor. But I'm not too proud to eat them, especially with garlic. Right now I'm off bivalves. Ordered fried clams in September and they had started to turn. Tasted faintly of ammonia and had softened to mushy consistency. The restaurant hurriedly gave me my money back. It's a wonder I wasn't ill, but I stopped eating them in time, I guess. So even looking at them right now makes me feel a little green around the gills.

Oh yeah, they shouldn't have a smell like that. I've never had a bad batch thankfully. If you are ever in Newport, RI, go to the Red Parrot and order the mussels. You won't be sorry! :D

Interesting. And I believe this is your first visit to the Coffee Shop, OldLady, and welcome. We are so happy you dropped in and we hope you find a refuge here from all the craziness out there on the board as many have. Of course you have to put up with our own brand of craziness in here. :) Just teasing. Anyway we're glad you came.

Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

View attachment 70445
Thanks! It looks lovely! Thanks, Ernie, too--depending on the day, they are both tempting.
If you decide to visit the coffee shop regularly, you'll get to know as friends some of the people you don't care much for on the rest of the board.
For instance, you'll learn that Foxfyre is everyone's mom. She loves us all but frowns on sibling rivalry. You'll learn that SaveLiberty is the world's first feline automotive sales manager. You'll learn that Galiant Warrior is a goat farmer, a professor and aircraft mechanic and is our representative from Alaska.
Me? I own a bar in Foley Alabama called Doc Holliday's.
I try not to be rude regardless, unless they really, really beg for it. I doubt I'll be making it to Alabama anytime soon, but if I do, I'll be chasing your bloody mary. When I was in New Orleans a few years ago, it was the first time I had one that had pickled vegetables in it, and it was fun having something to munch on besides a naked celery stalk. Love the pickled green beans; they were hot, too (spicy). What a concept.
QUESTION for all: Why do people who live in hot climates like Louisiana and New Mexico eat the spicy-hottest foods that make you sweat even more? You'd think us people freezing our tails off in Maine would want spicy stuff to warm up, but no--1/4 tsp of Franks in a recipe and all the neighbors run away screaming

Interesting. And I believe this is your first visit to the Coffee Shop, OldLady, and welcome. We are so happy you dropped in and we hope you find a refuge here from all the craziness out there on the board as many have. Of course you have to put up with our own brand of craziness in here. :) Just teasing. Anyway we're glad you came.

View attachment 70445
Thanks! It looks lovely! Thanks, Ernie, too--depending on the day, they are both tempting.
If you decide to visit the coffee shop regularly, you'll get to know as friends some of the people you don't care much for on the rest of the board.
For instance, you'll learn that Foxfyre is everyone's mom. She loves us all but frowns on sibling rivalry. You'll learn that SaveLiberty is the world's first feline automotive sales manager. You'll learn that Galiant Warrior is a goat farmer, a professor and aircraft mechanic and is our representative from Alaska.
I try not to be rude regardless, unless they really, really beg for it. I doubt I'll be making it to Alabama anytime soon, but if I do, I'll be chasing your bloody mary. When I was in New Orleans a few years ago, it was the first time I had one that had pickled vegetables in it, and it was fun having something to munch on besides a naked celery stalk. Love the pickled green beans; they were hot, too (spicy). What a concept.
QUESTION for all: Why do people who live in hot climates like Louisiana and New Mexico eat the spicy-hottest foods that make you sweat even more? You'd think us people freezing our tails off in Maine would want spicy stuff to warm up, but no--1/4 tsp of Franks in a recipe and all the neighbors run away screaming

Lol! I like some hot and spicy foods, but some are just TOO hot. I remember ordering buffalo wings once, and those things were SO hot that they burned not only my mouth but my lips too! I think when food is too hot it ruins the flavor.

I marinated wings once in some Chinese hot sauce. I did not realize just how hot it was, and we couldn't even eat them. It was just unpleasant, to be honest. Lol.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

View attachment 70445

Lol! I like some hot and spicy foods, but some are just TOO hot. I remember ordering buffalo wings once, and those things were SO hot that they burned not only my mouth but my lips too! I think when food is too hot it ruins the flavor.

I marinated wings once in some Chinese hot sauce. I did not realize just how hot it was, and we couldn't even eat them. It was just unpleasant, to be honest. Lol.

I am the same way. While I do like hot, don't make it so hot until I can't taste it, and all I do is burn.

View attachment 70445
Want to know the real reason? The hot peppers disguise the taste of the rotten meat. Remember that when people started using hot peppers, there was no refrigeration.
You folks (especially Maineacs) even before electricity and refrigerators could cut ice in the winter and keep food cold all summer.

View attachment 70445

I am the same way. While I do like hot, don't make it so hot until I can't taste it, and all I do is burn.
The heat is all relative. You get used to it. Rarely do I find the hottest wings too hot or lacking in taste. My tolerance is lower than it was when I was living a few miles from Foxy. In those days, I could eat a habenero like an apple. These days, that would be painful for me, but I might just push myself if I had a glass of milk close by.

The heat is all relative. You get used to it. Rarely do I find the hottest wings too hot or lacking in taste. My tolerance is lower than it was when I was living a few miles from Foxy. In those days, I could eat a habenero like an apple. These days, that would be painful for me, but I might just push myself if I had a glass of milk close by.

LOL I hear ya, but why do it? Sweat pouring...eyes watering, nose burning and running. LOL

LOL I hear ya, but why do it? Sweat pouring...eyes watering, nose burning and running. LOL
It's a guy thing. Kind of "Hold my beer and watch this."

<loosens sugar dispenser tops>
my kick is salt shakers
Well... you guys got me a free meal at Olive garden one night. Someone loosened the cap on the red pepper flakes and I emptied the whole shaker on my lasagna. I ate just about all of it before complaining and got a second order. My whole bill was comped Thank you!
I'm not 100% sane anyway. I've always pushed a bit too hard and taken chances, though I generally knew that I could get away with a stunt. In my 20's (when men believe they are bullet proof) I jumped over a car with my motorcycle. Perfect landing and never was tempted to try it again.

Well... you guys got me a free meal at Olive garden one night. Someone loosened the cap on the red pepper flakes and I emptied the whole shaker on my lasagna. I ate just about all of it before complaining and got a second order. My whole bill was comped Thank you!

So you're saying a shaker of red pepper flakes is not a single serving size?

View attachment 70445

Some Vietnamese and Thai food is very hot But the hottest food I've EVER eaten is Bhutanese.

My granddaughter Harper likes wasabi at age three. To which I wondered what was Nana thinking to let her try. She ate a lemon in front of me once too.

Bhutanese women train their babies to like hot food at a young age. After breastfeeding they dip whole chilies into the baby's food. Gradually the child grows up with a fire belly!

So you're saying a shaker of red pepper flakes is not a single serving size?
It's about 10% over my limit.

Forum List

Back