USMB Coffee Shop IV

Mussels too. Mussels are SOOOO good.

23473328-clams-and-mussels-in-a-white-wine-and-garlic-broth-Stock-Photo.jpg

That has to be a mostly East coast thing. I don't recall mussels being on the menu in any restaurant around here, even the most prestigious fine dining ones. And they sure aren't on the traditional menus of folks around here whether Mexican, southwestern, New Mexican, Texan, Italian, various Asian cuisines, or southern which pretty well makes up the standard home fare around here. Nor were they in Texas or Kansas when I lived there.

So alas, I have never tasted mussels. :(
No one in Maine ate them until 20 years ago, either, because they were just all over the beach like seaweed at low tide. Then seafood restaurants realized if you put garlic and wine and lemon on them, they're a cheap substitute for clams, which are harder to dig.

Interesting. And I believe this is your first visit to the Coffee Shop, OldLady, and welcome. We are so happy you dropped in and we hope you find a refuge here from all the craziness out there on the board as many have. Of course you have to put up with our own brand of craziness in here. :) Just teasing. Anyway we're glad you came.

Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

upload_2016-4-6_10-21-6.png

That has to be a mostly East coast thing. I don't recall mussels being on the menu in any restaurant around here, even the most prestigious fine dining ones. And they sure aren't on the traditional menus of folks around here whether Mexican, southwestern, New Mexican, Texan, Italian, various Asian cuisines, or southern which pretty well makes up the standard home fare around here. Nor were they in Texas or Kansas when I lived there.

No one in Maine ate them until 20 years ago, either, because they were just all over the beach like seaweed at low tide. Then seafood restaurants realized if you put garlic and wine and lemon on them, they're a cheap substitute for clams, which are harder to dig.

Interesting. And I believe this is your first visit to the Coffee Shop, OldLady, and welcome. We are so happy you dropped in and we hope you find a refuge here from all the craziness out there on the board as many have. Of course you have to put up with our own brand of craziness in here. :) Just teasing. Anyway we're glad you came.

View attachment 70445
Or you could head to Doc Hollidays for one of these:

348s.jpg

View attachment 70445
Thanks! It looks lovely! Thanks, Ernie, too--depending on the day, they are both tempting.

View attachment 70445
Or you could head to Doc Hollidays for one of these:

348s.jpg

Well hmm. I have come to think of Doc Hollidays as a second home, Ernie, but in all due respect, I think I would prefer the Coffee shop beverage. :) (Even though I have no idea what is in that either.)

I was just reading a piece that said Cracker Barrel has just regained the No. 1 spot as the favorite family restaurant in America. We hadn't been to Cracker Barrel in maybe 20 years, and in the last month we have been there twice. Do you suppose that is what put them over the top?

You need to come visit New England! :)

I like seafood, but clams, mussels, squid, eel, octopus. Not so much.

Have you ever tried steamed clams? You dip them in clarified butter. They are so good.

What I did not know was these preparation drops actually make my vision worse.

I was driving to the northern part of the county this morning at 9:00, about 90 minutes after finishing all three of the drops, when I perceived a shape in front of me that made me beieve there was a slower car up front. It turned pit to be a shady spot.

I have taken myself off the road until things clear up.

The one drop I take three times daily seems to be made of lemon juice. The twice daily drops must contain Vasoline petroleum jelly. Quite a potent mixture f you expect to see anything.

I'm thinking about putting a seeing eye dog harness on Daisy the Mutt. But she would have me running into trees as she chases squirrels. I have to face facts. Daisy has no career path as a working dog. She will not pull her weight in greater service to mankind. Unless she can earn her way by sleeping 18 hours a day or chasing squirrels or rolling on her back to have her belly rubbed. She is merely ornamental.

Are they the kind of drops that dilate your pupils? My ex's mother had drops that actually made her pupils dilate, and it really affected her vision. Hopefully you have this taken care of soon and will be better.

Have you ever tried steamed clams? You dip them in clarified butter. They are so good.

Clarified butter? What, is that when someone explains what butter means in simple terms? :lol:

Clarified butter? What, is that when someone explains what butter means in simple terms? :lol:

It's butter that's heated up with the milk "solids" removed, so that it's clear.

Clarified Butter : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

No, I haven't. My dad used to eat steamed clams on the half shell but it still has quite the "ick" factor for me. Hey Chris, have you seen my Recovery thread in Health and LIfestyle? I'd love your opinion on it.

So good morning everybody. The birds are having some kind of party in the juniper near my office window, the sun is shining brightly. A bit nippy out now at 40 degrees but we'll see temps in the mid 70's today with abundant sunshine. I need to get started on our taxes, but seem to find all sorts of other things I would rather do. Everybody have the best hump day possible.

And for today's math pop quiz:

12932897_10209680377113083_1141558062106368113_n.jpg

Normally I would give it a go, but I'm a bit tired today, so it just looks confusing right now! :lol: I just woke up at like 12:45, and I'm still drinking my coffee.

Forum List

Back