USMB Coffee Shop IV

Basmati, not sticky like Jasmine.

You don't seem like the Minute Rice type...I was at least hoping not that

I won't use Minute Rice but I have succumbed to the 'boil in the bag' rice -- it comes packaged in a pourous bag--you drop it into boiling water for 10 minutes or so and then pull the bag out--squish it a little to expel the excess water and voila--perfect rice every time in just the right quantity for the two of us with virtually no clean up and no waste. You can get it in white, brown, or flavored.

We don't make rice very often, but use a Zojirushi cooker when we do. The rice comes out perfect. They're a bit pricey (we got one for a wedding present), but if one eats a lot of rice, it's the way to go.

We live in a rice and beans state, but neither of us like Spanish rice all that much. About the only time we have rice is when I prepare something Asian that screams for rice. We do like Asian cuisine but not enough that the rice becomes an issue. Hombre and I are both misplaced Texans and the potato still reigns supreme.

We're surrounded by Cal-Mex, and I can completely forego the rice. I generally don't eat much carbs; mr. boe is a bread fiend, so it's easy just to have some sourdough on hand for him.

Yup. Hombre thinks a meal without some sort of bread is only half a meal. :)

The crust is what makes or breaks a good pie in my book...

My mother was the worlds best cook! Bottom line... She was definitely a depression era child from a family of 12 kids. Slim Pickens was a everyday guest in their home. They used what they had. We all know how staples were bought back then. If you had anything it was in bulk. Mom's mother dies when she was 11 and the older sisters flew the coop and left my mother to be the chief cook and bottle washer for the younger kids. This is how she developed her skill as a top class home maker and cook. I was very fortunate. Growing up we mostly lived in rural or suburban environments. Always had gardens and when possible we raised our own livestock. We appreciated everything we had.
I am almost 62 years old and I miss my parents everyday...

Peach pie is wonderful if the peaches are tart

Pie crust should be sweet, but almost never is. It doesn't have to be all sugar, but a bit of sweetness rather than the usual dry, bland bread-like crust makes a huge difference IMO. People too often seem to just use the crust as a way to hold the filling together and don't think of it as an integral part of the pie. :)

Sounds like my childhood to the T.
My mother was, and still is, a terrible cook. Her idea of Sunday dinner was those "Banquet Salisbury Steaks" ...canned corn and boxed mash potato mix.
Her entire spice collection was salt. pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder...that's about it. EVerything was canned and boxed, that was the 60's and 70's.
Same as you, I discovered real food in my early 20's...and learned to cook..and never went back. I buy so little processed foods, almost zero. Ketchup, mustard and Hellman's mayo is pretty much the only prepared things I eat.
And one other thing...canned carrots...why in all that is holy do these things exist? They taste absolutely dreadful, and it's not like slicing real carrots is that hard.
I was the oldest of 4 boys, military brats and while the food was mostly processed fake food we didn't know the difference and we never went hungry. There were times we had breakfast dinners, lots of Spam and Army noodles with ketchup (spaghetti), my mom's spaghetti was always watery. We always ate Wonder and Rainbow bread (I won't touch it today), when she would make toast she would toast a whole loaf and we would scarf it down. One aspect of her cooking I learned early on how to not repeat was her use of salt, she would salt the food while cooking and we would add more at the table.

Yep, that was our generation. Salt was pretty much everything. I bet when you was a kid you put sugar in your cereal too. Frosted flakes...with a teaspoon of sugar added in. Good Lord.
Not so much the sugar for me, the salt and the fat, hell yeah!!!! :lol:
Granted we would toast and butter bread sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar but i tended to use more cinnamon. With pancakes and french toast I rarely used syrup but would drown them in margarine.
Ya have to realize our parents were depression era kids, most everything was still being salted to preserve it so it's what they knew.

BINGO. There was a British cook book writer, Elisabeth David who had a mission to teach British women how to cook again after the Depression and War Years. The lack of ingredients and rationing had caused a full generation to not learn proper ways to cook. Her baking book "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" is a classic.
In the 1800s, specifically in the south the primary foods were meat, meal and molasses, scurvy was an ever present problem.

With plentiful citrus around these days, you don't hear much about scurvy any more.

Our breakfast consists of

One serving:
6 tablespoons low fat cottage cheese and 3 tablespoons of unprocessed organic flaxseed oil blended with an immersion blender until no more oil is visible--about one minute. 2 tablespoons organic flaxseed ground to a fluff in the coffee grinder. (The flaxseed loses its punch after 20 minutes or so of being ground so it is necessary to make it fresh for each serving.)

Note: It is critical to use the immersion blender to mix the cottage cheese and flaxseed oil before anything else is added. It changes the chemistry so that the oil becomes a 'quark' that is 100% water soluble and usable by the body. If you add anything to it before blending those two items, it doesn't happen.

Dump that with some crushed ice (you can crush the ice with a good blender), a whole orange (peeled), a whole apple (peeled or unpeeled but remove the core and seeds), some raw honey, and cinnamon in the blender and mix. If too thick, the mixture can be thinned down with cold water. Puree into a smoothie that is nutritious, filling, and over time usually remedies a whole host of autoimmune issues like allergies, arthritis, and other uglies.

Once my system adjusted, this recipe is extremely filling and lasts me pretty much all day until dinner. I might have something really light for lunch or a snack in between. We pretty much eat whatever we're hungry for or have on hand for dinner but I have been more conscientious in our later years to cook healthier. Processed and artificial foods are kept to a minimum. (Except for our Miracle Whip :) )

You can use other fresh fruit or even veggies instead of the apple and orange if you have them too.

Last edited:

My mother was the worlds best cook! Bottom line... She was definitely a depression era child from a family of 12 kids. Slim Pickens was a everyday guest in their home. They used what they had. We all know how staples were bought back then. If you had anything it was in bulk. Mom's mother dies when she was 11 and the older sisters flew the coop and left my mother to be the chief cook and bottle washer for the younger kids. This is how she developed her skill as a top class home maker and cook. I was very fortunate. Growing up we mostly lived in rural or suburban environments. Always had gardens and when possible we raised our own livestock. We appreciated everything we had.
I am almost 62 years old and I miss my parents everyday...
My mom was called the rich bitch by some in her home town, her step father was the Post Master so they did well during the depression, my dad was raised in a dirt floor cabin in the woods of Wisconsin and learned to hunt when he was only 8 years old. For Christmas each one of the kids would receive one Hershey's Kiss as a present, his oldest brother and friends built a car from junked vehicles abandoned in the woods, they would make knives from old car springs. He started out working the railroad but quickly joined the Air Force and became a radio electrician/operator, eventually he switched to the Army as a Warrant Officer.
His dream was to buy a farm or ranch and have all of use sons help him work it....... Fat chance, we were raised and are all still confirmed suburbanites/city dwellers....... :lol:

Pie crust should be sweet, but almost never is. It doesn't have to be all sugar, but a bit of sweetness rather than the usual dry, bland bread-like crust makes a huge difference IMO. People too often seem to just use the crust as a way to hold the filling together and don't think of it as an integral part of the pie. :)
The wife would make what is called a "biscuit" crust, no sugar at all, I've become lazy in my old age and just use the store bought crusts.

I was the oldest of 4 boys, military brats and while the food was mostly processed fake food we didn't know the difference and we never went hungry. There were times we had breakfast dinners, lots of Spam and Army noodles with ketchup (spaghetti), my mom's spaghetti was always watery. We always ate Wonder and Rainbow bread (I won't touch it today), when she would make toast she would toast a whole loaf and we would scarf it down. One aspect of her cooking I learned early on how to not repeat was her use of salt, she would salt the food while cooking and we would add more at the table.

Yep, that was our generation. Salt was pretty much everything. I bet when you was a kid you put sugar in your cereal too. Frosted flakes...with a teaspoon of sugar added in. Good Lord.
Granted we would toast and butter bread sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar but i tended to use more cinnamon. With pancakes and french toast I rarely used syrup but would drown them in margarine.
Ya have to realize our parents were depression era kids, most everything was still being salted to preserve it so it's what they knew.

BINGO. There was a British cook book writer, Elisabeth David who had a mission to teach British women how to cook again after the Depression and War Years. The lack of ingredients and rationing had caused a full generation to not learn proper ways to cook. Her baking book "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" is a classic.
In the 1800s, specifically in the south the primary foods were meat, meal and molasses, scurvy was an ever present problem.

With plentiful citrus around these days, you don't hear much about scurvy any more.

One serving:
6 tablespoons low fat cottage cheese and 3 tablespoons of unprocessed organic flaxseed oil blended with an immersion blender until no more oil is visible--about one minute. 2 tablespoons organic flaxseed ground to a fluff in the coffee grinder. (The flaxseed loses its punch after 20 minutes or so of being ground so it is necessary to make it fresh for each serving.)

Dump that with some crushed ice, a whole orange (peeled), a whole apple (peeled or unpeeled), some raw honey, and cinnamon in the blender and mix. If too thick, the mixture can be thinned down with cold water. Puree into a smoothie that is nutritious, filling, and over time usually remedies a whole host of autoimmune issues like allergies, arthritis, and other uglies.

Once my system adjusted, this recipe is extremely filling and lasts me pretty much all day until dinner. I might have something really light for lunch or a snack in between.

You can use other fresh fruit or even veggies instead of the apple and orange if you have them too.
Not even sure I could get that past my eyesight, just the thought of what it looks like gives me serious pause as I don't like purees simply because of the "grainy" texture and how they look.

The wife would make what is called a "biscuit" crust, no sugar at all, I've become lazy in my old age and just use the store bought crusts.

I'm a much bigger fan of sugar than you are. I hate having a yummy sweet pie filling surrounded by a bland, dry, crust. When I put whipped cream on pie, it's usually to mask the taste of the crust. :p

I'm a much bigger fan of sugar than you are. I hate having a yummy sweet pie filling surrounded by a bland, dry, crust. When I put whipped cream on pie, it's usually to mask the taste of the crust. :p
The vast majority of Americans wouldn't touch my deserts as they would find them terribly bland, waaaaay too much sweetener in our American cultural foods.

One serving:

Dump that with some crushed ice, a whole orange (peeled), a whole apple (peeled or unpeeled), some raw honey, and cinnamon in the blender and mix. If too thick, the mixture can be thinned down with cold water. Puree into a smoothie that is nutritious, filling, and over time usually remedies a whole host of autoimmune issues like allergies, arthritis, and other uglies.

Once my system adjusted, this recipe is extremely filling and lasts me pretty much all day until dinner. I might have something really light for lunch or a snack in between.

Not even sure I could get that past my eyesight, just the thought of what it looks like gives me serious pause as I don't like purees simply because of the "grainy" texture and how they look.

This isn't really grainy at all especially if you leave out the flaxseed. We like to use the flaxseed in some way though and that is the simplest solution to get it into our diet. And the color and texture is quite pleasant - if you use a whole orange it will be a light orange color. And I like the taste. We buy an unprocessed organic flaxseed oil made by Puritan--I order it through Amazon but you can order it direct too--and it is pretty colorless and tastes good. Infused with healthy fat that our body needs plus all the omegas in just the right proportions.

"COLD WATER" is the secret to making a good home made pie crust. Mom used to make what she called "Apple Dumplings". 8 individual cored peeled apples wrapped in a pie dough. A sugar cinnamon butter combination dropped in the core of the apples. More cinnamon sugar mixture sprinkled on top after cooking. My favorite part was the dough under the apple that had soaked in the juices.
Richer than 5 foot up a bull's butt...

Apple+Dumpling+and+Ice+Cream.jpg

The vast majority of Americans wouldn't touch my deserts as they would find them terribly bland, waaaaay too much sweetener in our American cultural foods.

Because it's delicious! :D

I try not to overdo the junk food nowadays because of health concerns, but I still want my sweets to be sweet. ;)

"COLD WATER" is the secret to making a good home made pie crust. Mom used to make what she called "Apple Dumplings". 8 individual cored peeled apples wrapped in a pie dough. A sugar cinnamon butter combination dropped in the core of the apples. More cinnamon sugar mixture sprinkled on top after cooking. My favorite part was the dough under the apple that had soaked in the juices.
Richer than 5 foot up a bull's butt...

ice water in fact.

One serving:

By the way, the quark (cottage cheese blended with the flaxseed oil) works as a dish on its own if you prefer to eat it instead of drink it. Here is a demonstration of how it is done:

Coupled with a healthy diet otherwise, the record shows this will help and even cure folks with cancer--a much more rigid diet is required there--and also folks with serious allergies, RA, fibromyalgia, and other autoimmune issues.

Last edited:

One serving:

By the way, the quark (cottage cheese blended with the flaxseed oil) works as a dish on its own if you prefer to eat it instead of drink it. Here is a demonstration of how it is done:

When I eat cottage cheese I prefer it with crushed pineapple.
I hate shakes of any kind, just the thought of drinking one makes me want to puke and that's not a joke. :dunno:
I hate anything with what I consider a gritty texture so those foods are out for me. I make a mean cornbread but I won't eat it, too dry and gritty, everyone else loves it when I make it.

Can't stand BBQ sauce on potatoes (or veggies), don't even use ketchup on fries so that would be a definite no for me. :thup:

A little mayo with sriracha is better.

I don't actually know what sriracha is, but nothing is better for having mayo on it. :lol:

Gotta have mayo, preferably Miracle Whip, on my sandwich, except that I will let Subway substitute sweet onion sauce on their sandwiches.
Miracle Whip is not mayo by any stretch of the imagination. To me using Miracle Whip would be the same as eating processed cheese food or worse, Velveeta, plastic cheese.........

I know a lot of folks feel that way about it. But what can I say? I love the taste of it. It is about the last concession I've made to processed foods though. So I figure a couple of guilty pleasures won't kill me.

Miracle Whip is a staple in our house...tuna and deviled eggs couldn't exist without it.:thup:

One serving:

I hate shakes of any kind, just the thought of drinking one makes me want to puke and that's not a joke. :dunno:
I hate anything with what I consider a gritty texture so those foods are out for me. I make a mean cornbread but I won't eat it, too dry and gritty, everyone else loves it when I make it.

I think you will find the above recipe not at all gritty especially as demonstrated in the You Tube video. (I put all sorts of stuff in my breakfast shake as previously described, but the recipe she is demonstrating is the classic one.) The flaxseed is ground to a fine fluff approximating dryer lint. Nothing else is gritty at all unless you consider berry seeds or broken up nuts gritty. With your RA, I would think it might be worth a try. It sure has relieved all my arthritis symptoms for the most part.

One serving:

I think you will find the above recipe not at all gritty especially as demonstrated in the You Tube video. (I put all sorts of stuff in my breakfast shake as previously described, but the recipe she is demonstrating is the classic one.) The flaxseed is ground to a fine fluff approximating dryer lint. Nothing else is gritty at all unless you consider berry seeds or broken up nuts gritty. With your RA, I would think it might be worth a try. It sure has relieved all my arthritis symptoms for the most part.

I'd have to get it past my mindset first, that is the greatest challenge which I'm not sure I can overcome or even want to.

One serving:

I'd have to get it past my mindset first, that is the greatest challenge which I'm not sure I can overcome or even want to.

Well I wish you would try it. I think you'll find it a whole lot less offensive than you imagine, and the health benefits are huge. Here's what Lifescripts has to say about it.

Flaxseed

Forum List

Back