USMB Coffee Shop IV

With plentiful citrus around these days, you don't hear much about scurvy any more.

Our breakfast consists of

One serving:
6 tablespoons low fat cottage cheese and 3 tablespoons of unprocessed organic flaxseed oil blended with an immersion blender until no more oil is visible--about one minute. 2 tablespoons organic flaxseed ground to a fluff in the coffee grinder. (The flaxseed loses its punch after 20 minutes or so of being ground so it is necessary to make it fresh for each serving.)

Dump that with some crushed ice, a whole orange (peeled), a whole apple (peeled or unpeeled), some raw honey, and cinnamon in the blender and mix. If too thick, the mixture can be thinned down with cold water. Puree into a smoothie that is nutritious, filling, and over time usually remedies a whole host of autoimmune issues like allergies, arthritis, and other uglies.

Once my system adjusted, this recipe is extremely filling and lasts me pretty much all day until dinner. I might have something really light for lunch or a snack in between.

You can use other fresh fruit or even veggies instead of the apple and orange if you have them too.
Not even sure I could get that past my eyesight, just the thought of what it looks like gives me serious pause as I don't like purees simply because of the "grainy" texture and how they look.

Speaking of GRAINY, I am reminded of this article on Soylent. A poor dweeb I used to work with actually buys and consumes this stuff.

Two Months of Soylent
sylnt.jpg

If you have the time, reading the saga of Soylent is pretty intresting, although I'm not interested in giving up real food in favor of tasteless pancake batter.

I've considered trying Soylent. I'd hate to give up tasty food, but I have some digestive issues and I've wondered if they might be fixed with a diet that regular. Between worry about how much I'd 'cheat' and the price, I decided against it.

If I lived in a higher cost of living area, and maybe only as a 1 meal a day thing, it might be worthwhile. :dunno:

I know a couple of people who use it as a meal substitute to save time when they are busy. Using it in place of all food is not at all appealing...unless one is selected for a mission to Mars.

The crust is what makes or breaks a good pie in my book...

Pie crust should be sweet, but almost never is. It doesn't have to be all sugar, but a bit of sweetness rather than the usual dry, bland bread-like crust makes a huge difference IMO. People too often seem to just use the crust as a way to hold the filling together and don't think of it as an integral part of the pie. :)

I disagree. Pie crust is best when it is slightly savor and salty.

Ack, not salty! I'm eating dessert, not dinner. :)

Yes, salty. Haven't you ever had a sea salt caramel dipped in dark chocolate? Heavenly!

Nope, never had that that I'm aware of. I wouldn't choose one, either.

Of course, these days I don't eat a lot of chocolate, as it's supposed to be bad for reflux.

That's too bad. They are really delicious!

Speaking of rice wild rice is and always has been the staple food of my grandfather's people, the Anishinaabeg (Ojibwa/Chippewa), it's 10 times more healthy than even brown rice and I hate the taste of wild rice....... :lol:

Yes, I haven't been able to develop a taste for wild rice either. But we adjusted to brown rice quite easily.
Brown rice is good and I can even handle long grain and wild rice mix. Be careful with brown rice, read the label as some is nothing more than dyed white rice. Another I have had that is wonderful is black or Emperor's rice but it ain't cheap....... not by a long shot.

Brown rice is good with mushrooms, onions and pork. Better than white actually.
Mushrooms is another thing I like but the wife won't eat.

Red Wine mushroom reduction?...she eat that?
Nothing like a good filet with a mushroom reduction sauce over it....okay...seriously I have no steak in the house, butcher is closed on Sundays and I had to bring this up.. :eusa_doh:

I really don't have that much of a sweat tooth. I like bittersweet chocolate and fruit that is tart.

I prefer dark bittersweet also.
I have a definite weakness for a good cheesecake though. And cake doughnuts. And good pie. I think I will place an internet order for one of Ringels...cause I never bake. I can cook just about anything, but never baked.

I really don't have that much of a sweat tooth. I like bittersweet chocolate and fruit that is tart.

I have a definite weakness for a good cheesecake though. And cake doughnuts. And good pie. I think I will place an internet order for one of Ringels...cause I never bake. I can cook just about anything, but never baked.

Cheesecake is one of my special desserts. I have a fabulous old family recipe. It's not overly sweet, either - the cheese makes it a tad savory. It also has a sour cream layer.

Cheesecake is one of my special desserts. I have a fabulous old family recipe. It's not overly sweet, either - the cheese makes it a tad savory. It also has a sour cream layer.

Your trying to torture me now. Sounds awesome. That is the best thing about a good cheesecake, the fact it isn't too sweet.
So...this recipe...

I hope I never happen to find myself relying on you for dessert! :lol:

I don't eat cheesecake at all. Yuck. I'm not a fan of cheese most of the time with dinner, certainly not as part of dessert. I also don't like sour cream.

And while I'm talking about putting non-dessert foods into dessert, what's with carrot cake? Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good cake by making it with carrots? I like carrots as a snack, or in salad, but cake? :p

I don't eat cheesecake at all. Yuck. I'm not a fan of cheese most of the time with dinner, certainly not as part of dessert. I also don't like sour cream.

And while I'm talking about putting non-dessert foods into dessert, what's with carrot cake? Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good cake by making it with carrots? I like carrots as a snack, or in salad, but cake? :p

The only reason to eat carrot cake is for the delicious cream cheese frosting!

"COLD WATER" is the secret to making a good home made pie crust. Mom used to make what she called "Apple Dumplings". 8 individual cored peeled apples wrapped in a pie dough. A sugar cinnamon butter combination dropped in the core of the apples. More cinnamon sugar mixture sprinkled on top after cooking. My favorite part was the dough under the apple that had soaked in the juices.
Richer than 5 foot up a bull's butt...

Apple+Dumpling+and+Ice+Cream.jpg

I recall a dish like that from my youth too. Did she fry them or were they baked?

So I am going to go out on a limb and say you don't like zucchini bread either?

I agree. I love raw carrots, carrot juice, properly seasoned cooked carrots, carrot soufflé, but have never found carrot cake to be anything I would intentionally order. But I do love the cream cheese frosting so I just use that on other things.

I agree. I love raw carrots, carrot juice, properly seasoned cooked carrots, carrot soufflé, but have never found carrot cake to be anything I would intentionally order. But I do love the cream cheese frosting so I just use that on other things.

That frosting is perfect on red velvet cake...just sayin'.

Speaking of rice wild rice is and always has been the staple food of my grandfather's people, the Anishinaabeg (Ojibwa/Chippewa), it's 10 times more healthy than even brown rice and I hate the taste of wild rice....... :lol:

Yes, I haven't been able to develop a taste for wild rice either. But we adjusted to brown rice quite easily.
Brown rice is good and I can even handle long grain and wild rice mix. Be careful with brown rice, read the label as some is nothing more than dyed white rice. Another I have had that is wonderful is black or Emperor's rice but it ain't cheap....... not by a long shot.

Nothing like a good filet with a mushroom reduction sauce over it....okay...seriously I have no steak in the house, butcher is closed on Sundays and I had to bring this up.. :eusa_doh:
Wine = sulfates = one of her allergies.

Grape Jelly

Oh and I remember the first frozen dinners...... Not very fondly...... However I did love the old Morton and Banquet pot pies, two at a time....... Hey I was a growing boy with two hollow legs, two hollow arms and a hollow head...... :lol:

Oh and I remember the first frozen dinners...... Not very fondly...... However I did love the old Morton and Banquet pot pies, two at a time....... Hey I was a growing boy with two hollow legs, two hollow arms and a hollow head...... :lol:

Haha..I did the same thing! Sometimes i would mix it up and fix one chicken and one turkey...I was such a wild child.

Grape Jelly
Have fun, I rarely if ever eat jelly or peanut butter.

Forum List

Back