USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ringel surely you have had a Beef Manhattan...well maybe not...midwest/southern thing
Never even heard of it and I've lived all over the country.

A staple in just about every Diner and Café menu throughout the Midwest...
Damn good if you like meat and tators...
I prefer tators and meat myself...

upload_2016-6-25_20-55-33.png

Ho hum ! I got up at 7am this morning and began work on my large painting (5 feet by 6 feet) of a field of sunflowers. I am doing it as a homage to Van Gogh, but unlike him I am paying close attention to the contra flow spirals at their centre . I am currently drawing them in yellow coloured pencil but will ultimately paint them in oils.

Up to now I have been daunted by the size of the picture ,and the amount of work it entails, but now I have at least made a start.

Ringel surely you have had a Beef Manhattan...well maybe not...midwest/southern thing

View attachment 79441

Okay. I know now that I must go to bed. I thought that was a chocolate sandwich...:lol:

I have posted my mornings work in the thread 'my paintings' in the arts and crafts forum. I have decided to photograph the picture in various stages as I paint it and post them the 'my paintings' thread. I thought it might interest some people to watch how the painting develops.

Made my Poor Man's Fried Rice for dinner. :thup:

1 pound breakfast sausage
1 12 oz bag frozen cut green beans
Cooked rice (about 3 cups)
Onion powder, garlic powder and ginger to taste
Soy sauce to taste.
Jasmine rice...hmmmm?
Basmati, not sticky like Jasmine.

You don't seem like the Minute Rice type...I was at least hoping not that
No, was raised on that kind of crap, margarine, Miracle Whip, Velveeta, etc. When I discovered real food I never went back. The primary reason I use the powdered forms is when I'm cooking for the wife, she likes the flavor but onions and garlic don't like her in their normal state, she will bur them all night long. Frozen veggies means I don't have to make a trip to the store every day to buy fresh and considering I was raised on over cooked, mushy canned vegetables frozen is a huge step up. Don't get me wrong I prefer fresh veggies but I don't have a problem with frozen either.

View attachment 79441
Twenty years ago, yeah, I would have eaten that probably 5 times a week but the sandwich would be drowning in gravy as well as the taters. Alas now, maybe once a decade followed by a week of fasting......... :lol:

Twenty years ago, yeah, I would have eaten that probably 5 times a week but the sandwich would be drowning in gravy as well as the taters. Alas now, maybe once a decade followed by a week of fasting......... :lol:

I have given up so many of my vices (alcohol, Drugs, Wild women and fast cars) I refuse to give up my palate. I enjoy cooking and eating and in moderation it won't kill me. And if it does I will go out with a smile. One thing I have learned in life is, you don't get out alive...

I have given up so many of my vices (alcohol, Drugs, Wild women and fast cars) I refuse to give up my palate. I enjoy cooking and eating and in moderation it won't kill me. And if it does I will go out with a smile. One thing I have learned in life is, you don't get out alive...
It was exaggeration for comedic effect, I do that a lot...... :D

Soy sauce to taste.
Jasmine rice...hmmmm?

No, was raised on that kind of crap, margarine, Miracle Whip, Velveeta, etc. When I discovered real food I never went back. The primary reason I use the powdered forms is when I'm cooking for the wife, she likes the flavor but onions and garlic don't like her in their normal state, she will bur them all night long. Frozen veggies means I don't have to make a trip to the store every day to buy fresh and considering I was raised on over cooked, mushy canned vegetables frozen is a huge step up. Don't get me wrong I prefer fresh veggies but I don't have a problem with frozen either.

Sounds like my childhood to the T.
My mother was, and still is, a terrible cook. Her idea of Sunday dinner was those "Banquet Salisbury Steaks" ...canned corn and boxed mash potato mix.
Her entire spice collection was salt. pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder...that's about it. EVerything was canned and boxed, that was the 60's and 70's.
Same as you, I discovered real food in my early 20's...and learned to cook..and never went back. I buy so little processed foods, almost zero. Ketchup, mustard and Hellman's mayo is pretty much the only prepared things I eat.
And one other thing...canned carrots...why in all that is holy do these things exist? They taste absolutely dreadful, and it's not like slicing real carrots is that hard.

:coffee::bye1:

Doc's Saturday night Special...

View attachment 79345
Can't stand BBQ sauce on potatoes (or veggies), don't even use ketchup on fries so that would be a definite no for me. :thup:

A little mayo with sriracha is better.

I don't actually know what sriracha is, but nothing is better for having mayo on it. :lol:

Gotta have mayo, preferably Miracle Whip, on my sandwich, except that I will let Subway substitute sweet onion sauce on their sandwiches.
Miracle Whip is not mayo by any stretch of the imagination. To me using Miracle Whip would be the same as eating processed cheese food or worse, Velveeta, plastic cheese.........

I know a lot of folks feel that way about it. But what can I say? I love the taste of it. It is about the last concession I've made to processed foods though. So I figure a couple of guilty pleasures won't kill me.

Soy sauce to taste.
Jasmine rice...hmmmm?

My mother was, and still is, a terrible cook. Her idea of Sunday dinner was those "Banquet Salisbury Steaks" ...canned corn and boxed mash potato mix.
Her entire spice collection was salt. pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder...that's about it. EVerything was canned and boxed, that was the 60's and 70's.
Same as you, I discovered real food in my early 20's...and learned to cook..and never went back. I buy so little processed foods, almost zero. Ketchup, mustard and Hellman's mayo is pretty much the only prepared things I eat.
And one other thing...canned carrots...why in all that is holy do these things exist? They taste absolutely dreadful, and it's not like slicing real carrots is that hard.

I don't know if I consider myself above average, but I love to cook and people seem to like my food.

But one Christmas, long, long ago, Hombre and the kids and I found ourselves spending a first Christmas in a new town where we had spent most of the year in a woefully inadequate house for the four of us. So on Christmas Eve we had just found and rented a wonderful place to live--a wonderful place for kids--a dream house to us. And we were all excited to move in so agreed we would do it on Christmas Day right after the gifts were opened. But I was uncomfortable not having something Christmassy for dinner.

You walk into the grocery store on Christmas Eve and check out with nothing but four turkey TV dinners and see how people look at you. :)

Jasmine rice...hmmmm?

I don't know if I consider myself above average, but I love to cook and people seem to like my food.

But one Christmas, long, long ago, Hombre and the kids and I found ourselves spending a first Christmas in a new town where we had spent most of the year in a woefully inadequate house for the four of us. So on Christmas Eve we had just found and rented a wonderful place to live--a wonderful place for kids--a dream house to us. And we were all excited to move in so agreed we would do it on Christmas Day right after the gifts were opened. But I was uncomfortable not having something Christmassy for dinner.

You walk into the grocery store on Christmas Eve and check out with nothing but four turkey TV dinners and see how people look at you. :)

Great story...hilarious

Soy sauce to taste.
Jasmine rice...hmmmm?

Actually the frozen fruits and veggies are just as nutrious and sometimes moreso because they are frozen at their peak freshness and quality. Sometimes some of the 'fresh' stuff at the grocery store is past its peak quality. Fresh out of the garden is best though.

Can't stand BBQ sauce on potatoes (or veggies), don't even use ketchup on fries so that would be a definite no for me. :thup:

A little mayo with sriracha is better.

I don't actually know what sriracha is, but nothing is better for having mayo on it. :lol:

Gotta have mayo, preferably Miracle Whip, on my sandwich, except that I will let Subway substitute sweet onion sauce on their sandwiches.
Miracle Whip is not mayo by any stretch of the imagination. To me using Miracle Whip would be the same as eating processed cheese food or worse, Velveeta, plastic cheese.........

Indeed. Miracle Whip is positively Revolting.

I suppose we should break the habit. But we use so little of it--a small jar will last us a month--and I do confess. I just like it.

Soy sauce to taste.

Do you cook the sausage before adding the other stuff? That seems like a LOT of sausage though for somebody who generally eats really healthy.

Forum List

Back