USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hi CS!

180744-Happy-Saturday-Happy-Weekend.jpg

Good morning everybody. Hope all are having a pleasant weekend. Glorious weather in Albuquerque these days--glorious bright blue skies dotted with white thunderheads in the afternoons. Temps in low 80's now as far ahead as they forecast--we expect temps like this in late September or early October. So it may just be a temporary blip or we may be headed for an early winter. Too soon to tell.

Good morning everybody. Hope all are having a pleasant weekend. Glorious weather in Albuquerque these days--glorious bright blue skies dotted with white thunderheads in the afternoons. Temps in low 80's now as far ahead as they forecast--we expect temps like this in late September or early October. So it may just be a temporary blip or we may be headed for an early winter. Too soon to tell.
We're overcast with sprinkles down here.
Been watching the hummingbirds, three of them keep chasing each other off the feeder and around the yard. One will land on the feeder then another will come and hover above him and the chase is on. :lol:

Can you bloody well believe that channel 5 TV have put on Christmas films all afternoon tomorrow. Even I am not going to stoop to watching those. Its bad enough with all the Christmas TV in December.

Been watching the hummingbirds, three of them keep chasing each other off the feeder and around the yard. One will land on the feeder then another will come and hover above him and the chase is on. :lol:

The Fox watching season is over. There were eight cubs running around for a few months, but now they seem to have left the lair.

We've had one very bossy hummingbird that does that too. Must be the male. :D

It's a strong trait of hummingbirds, especially the ruby throat and rufus. They can be very territorial especially when there is only one feeder. There is less fighting over the feeder when you put out 10 or 12.

The Fox watching season is over. There were eight cubs running around for a few months, but now they seem to have left the lair.

But what a joy it must have been to have them for the summer.

Can you bloody well believe that channel 5 TV have put on Christmas films all afternoon tomorrow. Even I am not going to stoop to watching those. Its bad enough with all the Christmas TV in December.

I so agree. There ought to be a law that you have to wait until after Halloween to start hawking Thanksgiving. And you should have to wait until after Thanksgiving before they start hawking Christmas. And I don't want to see any valentine stuff in stores until well after New Years.

I so agree. There ought to be a law that you have to wait until after Halloween to start hawking Thanksgiving. And you should have to wait until after Thanksgiving before they start hawking Christmas. And I don't want to see any valentine stuff in stores until well after New Years.

They are catering to all those who get their shopping done MONTHS in advance. I have a friend like that. She is already done with her Christmas shopping by the end of the summer. Lol. I am more of a procrastinator.

But what a joy it must have been to have them for the summer.

It was more of an ordeal, as I spent at least six weeks straining my neck to look out of the window every couple of minutes. Not to mention the £100 I spent on a Nikon digital camera to photograph them with.

They are catering to all those who get their shopping done MONTHS in advance. I have a friend like that. She is already done with her Christmas shopping by the end of the summer. Lol. I am more of a procrastinator.

I used to do all my Christmas shopping from a TV channel called bid TV but it went bust. Now I try to think of something, then look it up on Amazon and get it delivered. I already have a lovely brooch for my sisters main present. So I won't have to worry nearer the time. I hate to have to panic trying to think of something in the last few weeks.

I used to do all my Christmas shopping from a TV channel called bid TV but it went bust. Now I try to think of something, then look it up on Amazon and get it delivered. I already have a lovely brooch for my sisters main present. So I won't have to worry nearer the time. I hate to have to panic trying to think of something in the last few weeks.

I do my best work under pressure. :cool:

It's a strong trait of hummingbirds, especially the ruby throat and rufus. They can be very territorial especially when there is only one feeder. There is less fighting over the feeder when you put out 10 or 12.
Ours look like Black Chinned Hummingbirds.

The best time to shop for Christmas is the week after Christmas when retailers are trying to get rid of their excess stock.

Well in truth we usually have our Christmas shopping done by Thanksgiving. But that is without any Christmas promos.

I do my best work under pressure. :cool:

Sometimes that is true for me too, but I hate to be under pressure when it wasn't necessary. Takes a lot of the joy out of it. So I try to allow myself plenty of time now to do things I actually enjoy doing--decorating, craft projects, shopping, etc. The things I do best under pressure are things like housecleaning when we need to get ready for company or whatever. I dislike that under all circumstances so pressure is an excellent way to motivate me to do it. :)

Yes, they are very common to this area too, especially in southern New Mexico of which El Paso is the same area. Almost all the hummers in this area will winter in Mexico. Another sign of a possible early winter here is that our friends who have feeders out are already noticing that some varieties are leaving the area.

Your black chinned hummer:
black_chinned_hummingbird_glamor12.jpg

Yes, they are very common to this area too, especially in southern New Mexico of which El Paso is the same area. Almost all the hummers in this area will winter in Mexico. Another sign of a possible early winter here is that our friends who have feeders out are already noticing that some varieties are leaving the area.

Then I may be wrong as these birds have a nearly black head, white neck band and a medium gray brown body with a slightly iridescent green on the back that shows in the right light.

Looks more like this one only the bodies are darker. It's listed as a Black Chinned.

DSC3546.jpg

Last edited:

Then I may be wrong as these birds have a nearly black head, white neck band and a medium gray brown body with a slightly iridescent green on the back that shows in the right light.

Looks more like this one only the bodies are darker. It's listed as a Black Chinned.

DSC3546.jpg
These could also be young Ruby Throats as young Black Chins and young Ruby Throats look almost identical.

I put several feeders out on different walls. Invariably at least one of them assesses the placement and takes a position in a bush on the corner where he can see both walls and attack either one.

Forum List

Back