USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning everybody. Hope all are having a pleasant weekend. Glorious weather in Albuquerque these days--glorious bright blue skies dotted with white thunderheads in the afternoons. Temps in low 80's now as far ahead as they forecast--we expect temps like this in late September or early October. So it may just be a temporary blip or we may be headed for an early winter. Too soon to tell.
We're overcast with sprinkles down here.
Been watching the hummingbirds, three of them keep chasing each other off the feeder and around the yard. One will land on the feeder then another will come and hover above him and the chase is on. :lol:
I don't understand why they make hummingbird feeders with multiple ports. They're the most territorial birds I can think of (except maybe crows).

Good morning everybody. Hope all are having a pleasant weekend. Glorious weather in Albuquerque these days--glorious bright blue skies dotted with white thunderheads in the afternoons. Temps in low 80's now as far ahead as they forecast--we expect temps like this in late September or early October. So it may just be a temporary blip or we may be headed for an early winter. Too soon to tell.
Been watching the hummingbirds, three of them keep chasing each other off the feeder and around the yard. One will land on the feeder then another will come and hover above him and the chase is on. :lol:
I don't understand why they make hummingbird feeders with multiple ports. They're the most territorial birds I can think of (except maybe crows).
Pretty much every National Park office out west has hummingbird feeders outside and they're always in constant use by multiple hummingbirds. Besides not all hummingbird species are territorial all the time.

My neighbor has a bird sanctuary (that's what I call it - she has a bird bath and a feeder and a hummingbird feeder and tons of beautiful flowers and plants), so there are always birds over there. There is this one hummingbird who is particularly territorial. He won't let others drink from the feeder or from the flowers, and will chase them away every time. He is the bully of the hummingbirds. Lol. :D

When you have large flocks of hummers though and plenty of feeders for them, sometimes all ports on the feeder will be occupied. Just those who aren't hungry yet will try to guard a feeder, but won't attack a feeder full of birds so it sort of all works out. You would have to have tons of single spout feeders if you have lots of hummers.

Pulled out my small 12X25 binocs, they're young Ruby Throats.

Probably migrating. We don't have feeders but our friends do and they advise us the ruby throats are leaving. So they likely would be passing through your area on the way to their winter habitat. We were up on the mountain last week with our house guests and we noticed the ruby throats normally up there is large numbers were really scarce.

I must be the Chuck Norris of car salespersons. I am the last fulltime person standing. Sure hope that I am the Norris character and not Norbert.

upload_2016-8-20_20-50-56.png

Norbert #1

upload_2016-8-20_20-52-0.png

Norbert #2

Ah...yes, the Norris one...

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-20_20-51-45.png
    upload_2016-8-20_20-51-45.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 50
Gonna share this. Debated with myself whether to or not, but I think I wanna. So I am.

I have been praying a lot. And mood swings? omg. Thoughts of just saying fuckit and not deal with life any more? Yup, that too. Thinking thinking thinking, calling calling calling, hunting hunting hunting. And lots of praying and just talking with God..begging, pleading, then finally saying ok...lead me. I will go. Sometimes I know you hafta say no. I might not like it, but...I'll do it. Tell me what to do. SHOW ME.

And He did. He is closing this door. But he opened other doors and left it to me to choose which one to walk through. So I chose wicked LA area. Then I begged, pleaded, cried, sobbed, and questioned my decision and asked if I am taking the path He hoped I would take because it was my decision, after all. At least He opened the doors to 3 places..not counting living in our vehicles. To be honest, I am still musing over that one too. I shouldn't though, because yet another 2 doors opened yesterday and today.

We are on 3 waiting lists here locally, for low income housing. It is a 3 to 5 year wait. Lots of people are on that list..us included. But I called all three and gave them the updated info to the LA area, and when a unit comes available..they can reach us and we can come back home. One of those places has a landlady that spoke with me almost an hour on the phone..just chatting about how hard it is nowadays, and she might be in the same boat herself soon, and general chitchat. But she also said she would do what she could to get us in as fast as she could because us being retired property managers...well..she has no relief if she wants a vacation, or family problems where she needs some days off to go to them, etc...and she was going to speak to her bosses about us being back up managers for that possible scenario. I won't hold my breath cuz she said not to, but she would try. I perked me up a bit, but as soon as I saw the 12 boxes in the dining room stuffed with things I could not bear to get rid of and everything else gone..I burst into tears. That was yesterday.

Today...MrG and I went to the bank to start a new account for our SS checks to be direct deposited since the bank we have used for 30 years here, does not have a branch anywhere in LA. So..I found two local banks that have two branches no more than 1 mile from where we are going to be living. I chose one of the two because they said "we do this all the time. We can help you". And boy, did they. THEY sent a fax to SS with the new routing number, new bank, etc...which means MrG and I don't have to sit in the SS office for hours. The bank is doing it. Plus, they said I qualified..ME...for a cc if I wanted one. Did I? I said sure. I have a secured card for only 300 bucks so I can build my credit and she said its BUILT, missy. I have a credit amount of 2500.00. I was amazed. The new checks will go straight to our new address, the CC will come here where we are now because it will arrive in a few days and I am going to use that to pay for my new eyeglasses because I have been going without any since the surgery and have been stressing where to find the money to pay for the new lenses. I don't have to stress any more. I have a new CC coming.

I take that as a sign that the paths He showed me...I chose the right one. I may not like living there, but its a roof. I may have had to sell all my stuff, but I can get different stuff. I may only be there a year but at least I can come home cuz I am on the list to come home. And my family...MrG, my 2 furkids and I...will survive. Hell, I may keel over dead before I get to come home from some ailment, but at least I know I CAN, when they call. IF I don't like it there.

So..I am still moody. Still sad. Still stressed a bit over this. But doors keep opening. I kinda like that. Whats on the other side, I ask myself. I'll find out soon enough. :)

Good Morning Everyone
had fruit for breakfast and a coffee :coffee:
got to take my nieces back to there grans even thought there old enough to go on there own
there gran says that 15 ( one of my nieces just turned 15 ) isnt old enough for my 15 year old niece to keep an eye on her sister and make its home
so we have to get up early and get there breakfast and then go and take them home
Unsure what else we are up to , going to church Tonight looking forward to it
love the music there .

Gonna share this. Debated with myself whether to or not, but I think I wanna. So I am.

I have been praying a lot. And mood swings? omg. Thoughts of just saying fuckit and not deal with life any more? Yup, that too. Thinking thinking thinking, calling calling calling, hunting hunting hunting. And lots of praying and just talking with God..begging, pleading, then finally saying ok...lead me. I will go. Sometimes I know you hafta say no. I might not like it, but...I'll do it. Tell me what to do. SHOW ME.

And He did. He is closing this door. But he opened other doors and left it to me to choose which one to walk through. So I chose wicked LA area. Then I begged, pleaded, cried, sobbed, and questioned my decision and asked if I am taking the path He hoped I would take because it was my decision, after all. At least He opened the doors to 3 places..not counting living in our vehicles. To be honest, I am still musing over that one too. I shouldn't though, because yet another 2 doors opened yesterday and today.

We are on 3 waiting lists here locally, for low income housing. It is a 3 to 5 year wait. Lots of people are on that list..us included. But I called all three and gave them the updated info to the LA area, and when a unit comes available..they can reach us and we can come back home. One of those places has a landlady that spoke with me almost an hour on the phone..just chatting about how hard it is nowadays, and she might be in the same boat herself soon, and general chitchat. But she also said she would do what she could to get us in as fast as she could because us being retired property managers...well..she has no relief if she wants a vacation, or family problems where she needs some days off to go to them, etc...and she was going to speak to her bosses about us being back up managers for that possible scenario. I won't hold my breath cuz she said not to, but she would try. I perked me up a bit, but as soon as I saw the 12 boxes in the dining room stuffed with things I could not bear to get rid of and everything else gone..I burst into tears. That was yesterday.

Today...MrG and I went to the bank to start a new account for our SS checks to be direct deposited since the bank we have used for 30 years here, does not have a branch anywhere in LA. So..I found two local banks that have two branches no more than 1 mile from where we are going to be living. I chose one of the two because they said "we do this all the time. We can help you". And boy, did they. THEY sent a fax to SS with the new routing number, new bank, etc...which means MrG and I don't have to sit in the SS office for hours. The bank is doing it. Plus, they said I qualified..ME...for a cc if I wanted one. Did I? I said sure. I have a secured card for only 300 bucks so I can build my credit and she said its BUILT, missy. I have a credit amount of 2500.00. I was amazed. The new checks will go straight to our new address, the CC will come here where we are now because it will arrive in a few days and I am going to use that to pay for my new eyeglasses because I have been going without any since the surgery and have been stressing where to find the money to pay for the new lenses. I don't have to stress any more. I have a new CC coming.

I take that as a sign that the paths He showed me...I chose the right one. I may not like living there, but its a roof. I may have had to sell all my stuff, but I can get different stuff. I may only be there a year but at least I can come home cuz I am on the list to come home. And my family...MrG, my 2 furkids and I...will survive. Hell, I may keel over dead before I get to come home from some ailment, but at least I know I CAN, when they call. IF I don't like it there.

So..I am still moody. Still sad. Still stressed a bit over this. But doors keep opening. I kinda like that. Whats on the other side, I ask myself. I'll find out soon enough. :)
Hang right in there, Gracie. You're going to be okay.

Pretty much every National Park office out west has hummingbird feeders outside and they're always in constant use by multiple hummingbirds. Besides not all hummingbird species are territorial all the time.
Each year there is a very territorial one who keeps the others at bay in his spare time. I have never gotten a "flock," though, so maybe that's why I've never seen them share.

Lord, please allow my friend Gracie some peace and prosperity. I do not know Your will, but opening up a home in her city seems most loving and sensible. Please open that door.

Some of us deal with change better than others so don't beat yourself up over the mood swings Gracie. Giving up a life you love for the unknown is an emotionally wrenching experience but been there done that and all and I can assure you it won't be as traumatic as you think. Most especially since you have the emotional underpinning of a chance to return to where you want to be now and it may be in the cards you get a whole new gig in your current location. Who knows? After a year or two in your new digs you may find yourself emotionally attached there. But I am thinking what you describe is most likely a higher power guiding the process. We can hope so. You and Mr. G will remain on the vigil list unless you ask us to take it off.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone
had fruit for breakfast and a coffee :coffee:
got to take my nieces back to there grans even thought there old enough to go on there own
there gran says that 15 ( one of my nieces just turned 15 ) isnt old enough for my 15 year old niece to keep an eye on her sister and make its home
so we have to get up early and get there breakfast and then go and take them home
Unsure what else we are up to , going to church Tonight looking forward to it
love the music there .

Good morning Ella. Was just discussing on a thread elsewhere the pros and cons of allowing children to sink or swim on their own and how kids grow up a lot more clueless when there are no consequences for the choices they make. But when it isn't your kids, you are sort of stuck with the wishes of their parents or other person in responsibility. I sometimes wish we had an evening service at our church. Hombre (that's Mr. Foxfyre) and I are playing hooky from church again. Just haven't been motivated to go in these waning days of summer, but I'm sure we'll get back into the swing of things after Labor Day (first Monday in September here in the states.)

My brother treated me to a night at the ball yard last night. The Porates unfortunately lost to the Miami Marlims 3-1. But, it was a beautiful evening, a cool breeze scrubbed the humidity away, a big crowd filled PMC Park and our seats were five rows up from the field along the right field line. And it was fireworks night! As I have explained before, Pittsburghers are wild for fireworks and last night's show was spectacular!

We parked at Staion Square on the banks of the Monogahela and took the Gateway Clipper river shuttle boat ride around The Point and the headwaters of the Ohio and turned north up the Allegheny to the wharf at the ballpark.

There was a father and young son seated in the row in front of us. They had flown down from Vermont Friday evening and were flying back north today. At the end of the game I volunteered to take their photograph posed with the PNC Park scoreboard in the background. So we went down to the fence, they stood together with big happy smiles crossing their faces. I stood one row up to ensure there would be good composition. "One, two, three!" and I pushed the button on their phone. But at that very instant, the chance to have a wonderful photo of the two of them happily taking in one of the great experiences of our fair city, the moment they would cherish, the stadium lights went out and the fireworks began in the darkness.

Best laid plans, or so the poet said.

One of the big red harvester ants found it's way onto my right foot when I was outside, as I felt it and looked it bit...... That was hours ago and it still hurts.

Good night Darlinks. I hope all sleep well. And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in their transition and Gracie's eye surgery,
Saveliberty in job transition,
Montrovant's transition,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, 007, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Famous-Struggles-Challenges-and-Obstacles-Quotes-with-Images-Photos-Pictures-The-greater-the-obstacle-the-more-glory-in-overcoming-it.-Moliere.jpg

Forum List

Back