USMB Coffee Shop IV

I just had a screen come up telling me I had a virus, and asking me to ring up and report it. It said do not restart your computer and gave a telephone number. But Microsoft security has not registered any threat. I am wondering what to do. The phone number could be a scam itself, and there might be hackers trying to get my info.

What kind of screen? Was it in the browser or just a pop-up screen on your desktop? Do you have any anti virus programs installed and running? Did it say it was from Microsoft?

I just had a screen come up telling me I had a virus, and asking me to ring up and report it. It said do not restart your computer and gave a telephone number. But Microsoft security has not registered any threat. I am wondering what to do. The phone number could be a scam itself, and there might be hackers trying to get my info.

What kind of screen? Was it in the browser or just a pop-up screen on your desktop? Do you have any anti virus programs installed and running? Did it say it was from Microsoft?

The whole screen showed a load of data and some pop up messages giving me a telephone number. and a code word. The computer also spoke the warning on speakers. I took down the telephone number and the code, and closed the page and it has not happened since.

I ran Microsoft windows ten system security and it found nothing.

Got a bit bored in Algebra last night and wrote a quick PHP script for calculating the Pythagorean Theorem.

Code:
<!-- PHP statements for multiplying exponents, adding variables, and reducing square roots --> 

<?php
    if ($_POST["a"] != "") {
            $a = pow($_POST["a"], 2);
            $a1 = $_POST["a"];}
    if ($_POST["b"] != "") {
            $b = pow($_POST["b"], 2);
            $b1 = $_POST["b"];}
    if ($_POST["c"] != $_POST["a"]) {
            $c = sqrt(pow($_POST["a"], 2) + pow($_POST["b"], 2));
            $c1 = pow($_POST["a"], 2) + pow($_POST["b"], 2);}
?>

<!-- make it pretty and organized with outdated HTML 4.0 tags -->

<table width="390">
<font face="verdana" size="4">
<td width="25%"></td>
<td width="50%" align="left">
<center><b>Pythagorean Theorem</b>
<br><font size="3">
<i>c = sqrt(a² + b²)</i><br>
<b>a² + b² = c²</b>
</center></font><br></td>
<td></td>
<table width="410">
<form action="index.php" method="Post">
<tr><td><b>a </b></td><td>
<input name="a" type="text" value="<?php echo $a1;?>"><b>²</b> =</td><td><input name="a1" type="text" value="<?php echo $a;?>"></td><td><b>a²</b></td>
<tr><td></td><td></td><td></td><td align="right"><b>+</b></td><tr><td><b>b </b></td><td>
<input name="b" type="text" value="<?php echo $b1;?>"><b>²</b> =</td><td><input name="b1" type="text" value="<?php echo $b;?>"></td><td><b>b²</b></td>
<tr><td align="left"><input type="submit" value="Solve!"></td><td></td><td></td><td align="right"><b>=</b></td><tr><td><b>c </b></td><td>
<input name="c" type="text" value="<?php echo $c;?>"><b>²</b> =</td><td><input name="c1" type="text" value="<?php echo $c1;?>"></td><td><b>c²</b></td>

This will probably never serve anyone any kind of purpose, but the code does translate easily to other languages (for those of you just starting off with Java Programming, for example...).

I have a rule that I have to give away every rudimentary code creation, even if it doesn't get used by anyone.

Here's what the output looks like:

upload_2016-9-7_12-13-8.png

It's a typical phishing attack. You call the number, they tell you your computer in infected and claim they can fix it for a specific amount of money then ask for you credit card or banking information then empty your accounts.
The fact that you're relying on M$ security has me concerned, one of the lowest rated security programs available. If you have Malwarebytes I suggest you run it.

It's a typical phishing attack. You call the number, they tell you your computer in infected and claim they can fix it for a specific amount of money then ask for you credit card or banking information then empty your accounts.
The fact that you're relying on M$ security has me concerned, one of the lowest rated security programs available. If you have Malwarebytes I suggest you run it.

Yes, that is a very common scam. I don't trust ANYTHING that claims to be Microsoft that pops up on my screen. I don't click on them either, even to try to close them out, but immediately restart my computer. And if I have any concern that the warning is valid I go to the Microsoft website to investigate. These things are generally picked up on unsecured websites. Rule of thumb, unless you know who a popup on your screen is from, don't mess with it.

And trust me, nobody from Microsoft or any of their contractors are ever going to call you about a problem with your computer. So any such call you get will be a pure scam.

I do have Avast anti-virus--their free program is very good but I pay for their internet security program--it's very reasonable--and use the free malwarebyte program. So far--knock on wood--they haven't allowed a single virus or Trojan through in several years now.

Last edited:

View attachment 88587

So what do you do for a living Sixfoot besides write incomprehensible (to people like me) things that amaze me?

As of now? I'm just a disabled combat veteran trying to get a college edumacation.

Back when I was working though, I did freelance web design for about 15 years.
Other jobs have included heavy construction equipment operator (Engineer), Infantryman, EMT, janitor, carhop, driver, office administration, organic farming, ranching, tire & lube express tech at walmart, etc..

I'm a true Jack of all Trades - good at everything, master of nothing.

Yes, that is a very common scam. I don't trust ANYTHING that claims to be Microsoft that pops up on my screen. I don't click on them either, even to try to close them out, but immediately restart my computer. And if I have any concern that the warning is valid I go to the Microsoft website to investigate. These things are generally picked up on unsecured websites. Rule of thumb, unless you know who a popup on your screen is from, don't mess with it.

And trust me, nobody from Microsoft or any of their contractors are ever going to call you about a problem with your computer. So any such call you get will be a pure scam.
Restarting isn't always the best idea as the virus could already be waiting for you to do that then load itself into the boot sequence, or BIOs a very, very bad situation especially if it gets into the BIOs. You should open Task Manager and end the process (shut down the browser) then run anti-malware/anti-virus scans.

View attachment 88587
Ever cince I tok the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Redding Corce my comprension has improved conciderably. And you herd it rite here on Roller Derby.........

My English Comp teacher would likely have a heart attack reading this post. I think it's great how many different ways something can be misspelled, yet understood as if it were proper in the first place. lol

Restarting isn't always the best idea as the virus could already be waiting for you to do that then load itself into the boot sequence, or BIOs a very, very bad situation especially if it gets into the BIOs. You should open Task Manager and end the process (shut down the browser) then run anti-malware/anti-virus scans.

Make sure that ethernet cable is disconnected too!!!

Stranger Things was awful. Bad writing, bad acting, and rip offs of at least 6 movies. But..that is just my opinion. Many liked it. Many more hated it, lol. Wanna see a great show? Watch Penny Dreadful.

Stranger Things is pretty well liked. 9.1/10 on IMDB, 9.1/10 by viewers on Metacritic, 95% liked with an average score of 4.7/5 on Rotten Tomatoes.

I've thought about watching Penny Dreadful before but never got around to actually doing it. :p

I thought Stranger Things was a great 80's'esque show. Penny Dreadful is the same thing as every other thriller show out there, IMO. Since there' nothing really original anymore, I like getting my retro on, especially when it's a new show.

Last edited:

Unless you have wifi........

I do have Avast anti-virus--their free program is very good but I pay for their internet security program--it's very reasonable--and use the free malwarebyte program. So far--knock on wood--they haven't allowed a single virus or Trojan through in several years now.

I clicked on an add on facebook and that's when the warning screen appeared. Thanks for the info Ringel. I have not called the number, and I am going to restart my computer to see what happens.

Unless you have wifi........

Well, even my routers use ethernet cables. lol I get ya though, turn that radio off!

I clicked on an add on facebook and that's when the warning screen appeared. Thanks for the info Ringel. I have not called the number, and I am going to restart my computer to see what happens.

At worst, you probably got your homepage settings altered. There's only so much malicious webscripts can do. If you downloaded and installed a program that turned out to be (or contained one within) a virus, THEN you'd be a bit fooked.

Windows Defender will likely have the cure if you caught a cold.

What browser are you using? Chrome and Firefox have an addon called WOT (Web of Trust), it will warn you if a site is potentially dangerous before allowing you to continue to the site, some anti-virus programs like Avast have an addon that is similar. It's not 100% but it does help a lot.

View attachment 88587

So what do you do for a living Sixfoot besides write incomprehensible (to people like me) things that amaze me?

As of now? I'm just a disabled combat veteran trying to get a college edumacation.

Back when I was working though, I did freelance web design for about 15 years.
Other jobs have included heavy construction equipment operator (Engineer), Infantryman, EMT, janitor, carhop, driver, office administration, organic farming, ranching, tire & lube express tech at walmart, etc..

I'm a true Jack of all Trades - good at everything, master of nothing.

My kind of guy. I describe myself the same way except that I'm not a combat veteran and you wouldn't call me to fix anything mechanical. I have to have somebody else change the mini light bulb in the hall light fixture. But I can do a lot of different stuff. I remember now that you had started back to school and kudos to you for doing that.

Forum List

Back