USMB Coffee Shop IV

I just had a screen come up telling me I had a virus, and asking me to ring up and report it. It said do not restart your computer and gave a telephone number. But Microsoft security has not registered any threat. I am wondering what to do. The phone number could be a scam itself, and there might be hackers trying to get my info.
It's a typical phishing attack. You call the number, they tell you your computer in infected and claim they can fix it for a specific amount of money then ask for you credit card or banking information then empty your accounts.
The fact that you're relying on M$ security has me concerned, one of the lowest rated security programs available. If you have Malwarebytes I suggest you run it.

Yes, that is a very common scam. I don't trust ANYTHING that claims to be Microsoft that pops up on my screen. I don't click on them either, even to try to close them out, but immediately restart my computer. And if I have any concern that the warning is valid I go to the Microsoft website to investigate. These things are generally picked up on unsecured websites. Rule of thumb, unless you know who a popup on your screen is from, don't mess with it.

And trust me, nobody from Microsoft or any of their contractors are ever going to call you about a problem with your computer. So any such call you get will be a pure scam.

I do have Avast anti-virus--their free program is very good but I pay for their internet security program--it's very reasonable--and use the free malwarebyte program. So far--knock on wood--they haven't allowed a single virus or Trojan through in several years now.

I clicked on an add on facebook and that's when the warning screen appeared. Thanks for the info Ringel. I have not called the number, and I am going to restart my computer to see what happens.
What browser are you using? Chrome and Firefox have an addon called WOT (Web of Trust), it will warn you if a site is potentially dangerous before allowing you to continue to the site, some anti-virus programs like Avast have an addon that is similar. It's not 100% but it does help a lot.

I am using the latest internet explorer, and I have just started downloading Malwarebytes, but its running very slowly. Edit, I cancelled that download because it stopped at 1%

Edit 2; I succeeded in downloading Malwarebytes and ran it and it found nothing.

Last edited:
I just had a screen come up telling me I had a virus, and asking me to ring up and report it. It said do not restart your computer and gave a telephone number. But Microsoft security has not registered any threat. I am wondering what to do. The phone number could be a scam itself, and there might be hackers trying to get my info.
It's a typical phishing attack. You call the number, they tell you your computer in infected and claim they can fix it for a specific amount of money then ask for you credit card or banking information then empty your accounts.
The fact that you're relying on M$ security has me concerned, one of the lowest rated security programs available. If you have Malwarebytes I suggest you run it.

Yes, that is a very common scam. I don't trust ANYTHING that claims to be Microsoft that pops up on my screen. I don't click on them either, even to try to close them out, but immediately restart my computer. And if I have any concern that the warning is valid I go to the Microsoft website to investigate. These things are generally picked up on unsecured websites. Rule of thumb, unless you know who a popup on your screen is from, don't mess with it.

And trust me, nobody from Microsoft or any of their contractors are ever going to call you about a problem with your computer. So any such call you get will be a pure scam.

I do have Avast anti-virus--their free program is very good but I pay for their internet security program--it's very reasonable--and use the free malwarebyte program. So far--knock on wood--they haven't allowed a single virus or Trojan through in several years now.

I clicked on an add on facebook and that's when the warning screen appeared. Thanks for the info Ringel. I have not called the number, and I am going to restart my computer to see what happens.
What browser are you using? Chrome and Firefox have an addon called WOT (Web of Trust), it will warn you if a site is potentially dangerous before allowing you to continue to the site, some anti-virus programs like Avast have an addon that is similar. It's not 100% but it does help a lot.

I am using the latest internet explorer, and I have just started downloading Malwarebytes, but its running very slowly. Edit, I cancelled that download because it stopped at 1%
That's your choice....... I won't go anywhere near IE for security reasons (and because I really do hate Microsoft but not Windows..........) :lol:
Here is the direct Malwarebytes download page;
Free Anti-Malware & Malware Removal
When installing any third party software always select Custom Install and look for any piggybacked programs. Been a while since I installed Malwarebytes so I don't remember if it has any piggybacked programs but look for options like "Make Chrome your default browser", the box next to it will be automatically checked, you have to uncheck it.

Oh and Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program, it's an anti-malware program.

Hmmm. I'm needing a few things for my fall wardrobe. Which one do you think I should order?

14264195_10208838215050370_5789272962376785694_n.jpg

Actually the gray one isn't all that bad, but that color of gray makes me look as dead as the model.

The outfit on the far left seems fine to me. The one next to that looks like a fuzzy Star Trek uniform, and the one with the candy cane legs looks like a child put it together. :D

It made me think of Star Trek, too.:lol:

Hmmm. I'm needing a few things for my fall wardrobe. Which one do you think I should order?

14264195_10208838215050370_5789272962376785694_n.jpg
the red and blue tie dye and the gray!! LOVE the gray.
If you like boho stuff like I do...check out TiendaHo.com based in Santa Barbara. I used to have oodles of their outfits. I might need to start doing that again.

Meanwhile....I got my new glasses today. I loathe them. Double vision. The reading glasses frame I gave them, they broke at the company. So I had to go in and pic out a new pair of el cheapo frames...free of charge of course...and now I wait for those to come in. Once we get where we are going, I am going to see another eye doc cuz this can't be right. How the hell am I to see long distance and drive when its all double vision and it makes me nauseated to wear them?

Meanwhile....I got my new glasses today. I loathe them. Double vision. The reading glasses frame I gave them, they broke at the company. So I had to go in and pic out a new pair of el cheapo frames...free of charge of course...and now I wait for those to come in. Once we get where we are going, I am going to see another eye doc cuz this can't be right. How the hell am I to see long distance and drive when its all double vision and it makes me nauseated to wear them?
No line bi-focals? They did that to me when I first got them, after a week of nausea and double vision I turned them back in and got my money back then went with the lined bi-focals. Now I simply wear reading glasses when I need them as my distance vision (which wasn't that bad in the first place) improved by not wearing long distance corrective glasses.

Foxy, looks like the hurricane remnants went mostly west of us so we didn't get a whole lot of rain here, more than usual but not the deluge they were initially predicting. You all in Albuquerque look to be in the sights though, looks to be coming right at you. Don't drive through high flowing water.........

Actually the gray one isn't all that bad, but that color of gray makes me look as dead as the model.

The outfit on the far left seems fine to me. The one next to that looks like a fuzzy Star Trek uniform, and the one with the candy cane legs looks like a child put it together. :D

It made me think of Star Trek, too.:lol:

I think it's because of the pin. :D

movie-uniforms-class-b.jpg

STAR-TREK-PICARD.jpg
I prefer my Tribble outfit........

No line bi-focals? They did that to me when I first got them, after a week of nausea and double vision I turned them back in and got my money back then went with the lined bi-focals. Now I simply wear reading glasses when I need them as my distance vision (which wasn't that bad in the first place) improved by not wearing long distance corrective glasses.
No..not bifocals. Just distance glasses...which SUCK. I ain't wearing 'em. Nope.

I always did enjoy the animal exhibits the most.
Dad and I did that. Went to the county fairs just to see the animals. My sister and mom thought it a dirty place and preferred to have tea parties sucking up to the mayor while Daddy and I sloshed thru stinky mud looking at cows, pigs and chickens.

Oh..and don't watch it with kids around. Lots of sex scenes. LOTS.
Have you seen any of the 3 Spartacus series? Talk about sex and violence. Its over the top with both.
I bought the set and its more than 3 seasons. :lol:

It kinda lost its flavor after Andy Whitfield died. :(
When GoT is over...I might buy that set too.
I've been binging on GoT since the beginning. Each new season requires a review of at least the previous season before the new one is watched.

I always did enjoy the animal exhibits the most.
Dad and I did that. Went to the county fairs just to see the animals. My sister and mom thought it a dirty place and preferred to have tea parties sucking up to the mayor while Daddy and I sloshed thru stinky mud looking at cows, pigs and chickens.
I have an affinity for animals, any way you look at it, but my partner beats all when it comes to pigs. I've seen the man "speak" to the pigs and they come right up to him, "talking" back and let him scratch and rub their ears and heads. I wish my granddaughters were here so they could participate in 4H.

So, I woke up a little while ago to the police at my door. My car and my neighbor's car were broken into last night (more like very early this morning). Stupid me, I left my car unlocked with my bank debit card in there along with probably around $40 in cash (including both change and paper money), which was stolen. I guess I am way too complacent. My neighborhood is pretty safe and we don't have a whole lot of crime. Soooo . . . that's how my day is going so far.

Yuck Chris. So you did cancel your debit card yes? Not much to do about the theft unless you have a zero deductible insurance policy. Damage to your car? I hate hate HATE that we live in a time in which people assault people in so many ways. I know what you mean about not expecting these kinds of things though--we live in a higher crime area than you but that kind of thing is very rare in our neighborhood too. Still it happens. The sense of violation is usually harder to take than the loss of your property.

Yup. That was the first thing I did after talking with the police. I already got my replacement card (for an extra $12, rush shipping) instead of having to wait 5-10 business days. I know that's a scam, but I really need my card. Lol.

Meh, I don't feel violated. I feel more annoyed. The only reason why my car was targeted was because I left it unlocked.
The only time I left one of our vehicles unlocked was when the primary battery in the Prius was almost dead and I didn't know it, a crack addict picked that night to hit our neighborhood.
I have a backhoe and 200 acres, I just dare someone to show up and try to rob the place...
Being rural Alaska, though, most of the crooks prefer to stick closer to "civilization". It's safer for them.

So, I woke up a little while ago to the police at my door. My car and my neighbor's car were broken into last night (more like very early this morning). Stupid me, I left my car unlocked with my bank debit card in there along with probably around $40 in cash (including both change and paper money), which was stolen. I guess I am way too complacent. My neighborhood is pretty safe and we don't have a whole lot of crime. Soooo . . . that's how my day is going so far.

Yuck Chris. So you did cancel your debit card yes? Not much to do about the theft unless you have a zero deductible insurance policy. Damage to your car? I hate hate HATE that we live in a time in which people assault people in so many ways. I know what you mean about not expecting these kinds of things though--we live in a higher crime area than you but that kind of thing is very rare in our neighborhood too. Still it happens. The sense of violation is usually harder to take than the loss of your property.

Yup. That was the first thing I did after talking with the police. I already got my replacement card (for an extra $12, rush shipping) instead of having to wait 5-10 business days. I know that's a scam, but I really need my card. Lol.

Meh, I don't feel violated. I feel more annoyed. The only reason why my car was targeted was because I left it unlocked.
The only time I left one of our vehicles unlocked was when the primary battery in the Prius was almost dead and I didn't know it, a crack addict picked that night to hit our neighborhood.

A good thing is that I've noticed the police have been patrolling my neighborhood in the last couple of days. My neighbor told me that she saw the police here in our parking lot at like 2 in the morning. I guess there have been quite a few car break ins around here in the last several weeks.
No neighborhood is safe, I always take precautions, lock everything and keep my eyes open no matter where I am. Even when driving the vehicle is locked, especially in town where a carjacking is most likely to occur.
The police will provide temporary increased patrols in your area but like temporary means they will eventually have to focus elsewhere. A slight amount of paranoia is healthy, it's our built in defense mechanism, keeps us safer.
Dude, you live in El Paso, or course no neighborhood is safe. (Further comment might become too political for the CS.)

Forum List

Back