USMB Coffee Shop IV

Happy Labor Day, y'all!
I haven't labored much today, though.
It's been gorgeous weather here, highly unusual as it is State Fair time. Usually the weather is wet, windy, and generally shitty this time of year. Well, today it reverted to the normal wet, shitty weather. I used that as an excuse to just relax and goof off. Kicked my partner's butt playing cribbage, twice. I've been working on a jigsaw puzzle and finally got a good enough signal to hop on line and catch up in the CS. Tomorrow, I will venture out and learn how to operate the new "toy", Ho'zilla.

I always like going to the state fair..

So, I woke up a little while ago to the police at my door. My car and my neighbor's car were broken into last night (more like very early this morning). Stupid me, I left my car unlocked with my bank debit card in there along with probably around $40 in cash (including both change and paper money), which was stolen. I guess I am way too complacent. My neighborhood is pretty safe and we don't have a whole lot of crime. Soooo . . . that's how my day is going so far.

So, I woke up a little while ago to the police at my door. My car and my neighbor's car were broken into last night (more like very early this morning). Stupid me, I left my car unlocked with my bank debit card in there along with probably around $40 in cash (including both change and paper money), which was stolen. I guess I am way too complacent. My neighborhood is pretty safe and we don't have a whole lot of crime. Soooo . . . that's how my day is going so far.

Yuck Chris. So you did cancel your debit card yes? Not much to do about the theft unless you have a zero deductible insurance policy. Damage to your car? I hate hate HATE that we live in a time in which people assault people in so many ways. I know what you mean about not expecting these kinds of things though--we live in a higher crime area than you but that kind of thing is very rare in our neighborhood too. Still it happens. The sense of violation is usually harder to take than the loss of your property.

Criminals now have pocket scanners that can steal all your credit and debit card details by wireless, just by walking past you. I was thinking if getting a scan proof metal card case.

Criminals now have pocket scanners that can steal all your credit and debit card details by wireless, just by walking past you. I was thinking if getting a scan proof metal card case.
They've been doing that for years, my dad used to wrap his cards in aluminum foil.

Hurricane Newton hit the Baja near Cabo San Lucas this morning, we're predicted to get up to 3 inches of rains up through Thursday all the way up to Raton, New Mexico, the areas around Tuscon are expected to get upwards of 5 inches.
We're getting outer bands right now, that's over 500 miles away.

They've been doing that for years, my dad used to wrap his cards in aluminum foil.

The question, though, is what they can do with the information they can actually scan. Do they get everything they need to actually use the card, like the 3 digit code written on the back?

Not that I find anything wrong with someone protecting themselves against that kind of thing.

When I am out and about, all the cards and ID I carry are safely inside a metal, scan proof, case.

I just ordered a leather card case with a radio proof lining from amazon. Its fun to go shopping at night.

Hurricane Newton hit the Baja near Cabo San Lucas this morning, we're predicted to get up to 3 inches of rains up through Thursday all the way up to Raton, New Mexico, the areas around Tuscon are expected to get upwards of 5 inches.
We're getting outer bands right now, that's over 500 miles away.

Wow. I better check our weather. We're between you and Raton. :)

The question, though, is what they can do with the information they can actually scan. Do they get everything they need to actually use the card, like the 3 digit code written on the back?

Not that I find anything wrong with someone protecting themselves against that kind of thing.

Not sure. I don't take any chances though.

Thanks for the heads up Ringel. A huge amount of wet headed straight at us. I haven't seen our radar look like that in a very long time.

Just got back from taking the van in to the mechanic we use. The fan on the ac/heater is LOUD and messed up. Here, no ac or heat was ever needed. Where we are going...we need both. But not with a wonky fan system. So...I asked how much it would cost to fix it and he said $120 bucks. Ouch. Just more money we have to spend to get out of here. But then I remembered..I have that new 32" tv in the van, under the seat, in its original box cuz I only had it a short time. And to make room for stuff to haul to the new place, I shoved it under Moki's bed. I asked if he was interested in it. He asked how much. I said $120 bucks. :lol:

I take the van in at 1:15 on friday. ;)

Just got back from taking the van in to the mechanic we use. The fan on the ac/heater is LOUD and messed up. Here, no ac or heat was ever needed. Where we are going...we need both. But not with a wonky fan system. So...I asked how much it would cost to fix it and he said $120 bucks. Ouch. Just more money we have to spend to get out of here. But then I remembered..I have that new 32" tv in the van, under the seat, in its original box cuz I only had it a short time. And to make room for stuff to haul to the new place, I shoved it under Moki's bed. I asked if he was interested in it. He asked how much. I said $120 bucks. :lol:

I take the van in at 1:15 on friday. ;)
Where are you going?

Thanks for the heads up Ringel. A huge amount of wet headed straight at us. I haven't seen our radar look like that in a very long time.
Looks like you and us may get upwards of three inches, stay away from arroyos.......

Three inches will flood our back porch unless it is spread out over a long period. :( But the rain has started here too, coming in waves. I guess we'll take it even if we get too much.

Looks like you and us may get upwards of three inches, stay away from arroyos.......

Three inches will flood our back porch unless it is spread out over a long period. :( But the rain has started here too, coming in waves. I guess we'll take it even if we get too much.
Pretty sure our streets will become rivers, I'll need to get the kayak ready....... :D

My binge of watching Penny Dreadful is now complete. MrG is in his room as I type, just starting his binge of season 2. I eagerly await Season 3!!

But...now it is time to go water the back yard since I have been in front of this pc bingeing for the past 48 hours, lol.

I don't have time to binge watch, but my daughter told me yesterday that my son and I would really enjoy a Stephen King like show called Stranger Things. I watched the first 2 episodes last night and it's super creepy. I hope to have the first season finished by the end of the weekend, but we'll see.

Forum List

Back