USMB Coffee Shop IV

Dang! I would have added that rabbit to some fresh veggies and made a stew of it all. Shouldn't waste good meat, yanno!

That's exactly what I thought also !

I would have said a prayer for the beautiful creature and thanked the creator who supplied a wonderful meal. :)
I realize the prospect of a rabbit dinner appeals to some of you. I live in the heart of white tail deer country and many of my friendbors will have a buck or doe hanging from a tree in their yards come late November and deer season.

Pnted. I have never hunted. As my Brooklyn friend Lucille would say, "A salute" to the hunters. Go with God and be safe.

Wild game was never presented on our dinner table. Not for an aversion to it, but our collective ignorance on the proper methods of dressing and preparing it.

Twenty odd years ago, as we built the Greater Pittsburgh Area International Airport, my job was to over see the removal of a hazardous waste landfill just west of the site. A company began disposing of the most God awful chemicals in a ravine back in the 1970s. There it laid until a developer decided to construct a hotel and restaurant complex at the new airport.

One of the scariest things I found there was a barrel of naphthalene. Naphthalene is a coal tar derivative used in every thing from the familiar (mothballs) to the exotic (high tech cleaning solutions). Once naphthalene is exposed to air transforms from an amber liquid to a dark brown solid looking like beer bottle glass.

I would watch deer licking up that naphthalene every morning as I did paper work and prepared sampling kits for the day. I figured some hunter would eventually shoot, kill and eat that deer. I knew he would not have much of a taxidermy bill to pay as the epidermis of that deer would be pretty much preserved given the amount of naphthalene it consumed. I wonder if any hunter did bag that deer? I wonder if that hunter has a second head growing from his neck today?

With all due respect, it was not about hunting. I also am not a hunter.

It was about a one in gazillion shot and a gift from our creator. The way I see it.
It's too bad you did not accept the learning opportunity he gave to you all, to expand your knowledge.
Nevertheless, we would have no idea how to clean and prepare a dead rabbit. Our meat opportunities have always come by the grace of a butcher.

You never had access to a Library ?
Sure we did. But quite honestly, the thought of eating a rabbit killed in our backyard never crossed our minds. We did not see it as a delicacy, nor as a gift from the Almighty. Our protein needs were always fulfilled, albeit Mom cooked every cut of meat until it was dried and devoid of flavor and had the texture of shoe leather.

Eating an invading rodent kind of has the taint of the Clampetts about it.

Maybe it's one of those weird taboos we humans have about our food? Maybe an accidental kill is viewed more as 'road kill' while something dispatched on purpose was intended to be food? I dunno. Just a thought. I know people that the officials offered a fresh road killed deer but the folks just couldn't bring themselves to accept that it was okay to eat it. But like Nosmo's family, ours is not really up on how to cook wild game even though we enjoy it immensely with our hunter friends. (We aren't hunters either.) We can make good use of fresh fish we catch or that are given to us though.

Right now I'm dealing with some major pain following my dental procedure this morning, even though I'm really loopy from the pain meds. So if these aren't as funny to you as they are to me in my drugged state, please accept my apology and scroll over them:

1sign-4.jpg

2sign-2.jpg

4sign-2.jpg

My question on the last one was whether the beer, chicken, and sex swing were included or were for sale.

My point was that it should be a skill we all should know , in case of any disaster for more than just a few days
I don't mean all should try, but just a skill to know from reading how to books.

Right now I'm dealing with some major pain following my dental procedure this morning, even though I'm really loopy from the pain meds. So if these aren't as funny to you as they are to me in my drugged state, please accept my apology and scroll over them:

1sign-4.jpg

2sign-2.jpg

4sign-2.jpg

My question on the last one was whether the beer, chicken, and sex swing were included or were for sale.

Hugs BFF!!

My point was that it should be a skill we all should know , in case of any disaster for more than just a few days
I don't mean all should try, but just a skill to know from reading how to books.

Honestly, if I get to a point where I have to be able to kill and prepare my own food to survive, I don't think I'm going to want to survive anyway. :lol:

I agree with this, but I figure at my age, somebody will feed me something so I'll leave that particular skill to others.

Honestly, if I get to a point where I have to be able to kill and prepare my own food to survive, I don't think I'm going to want to survive anyway. :lol:

Interesting conversations happen at work while being muted on boring conference calls. Today it was about who would be prepared for a zombie apocalypse. Some in the room had no desire, and would prefer to eat a bullet than battle zombies.:D

1sign-4.jpg

2sign-2.jpg

4sign-2.jpg

You are either joining the party or can have one of your own if you buy the stuff.

Interesting conversations happen at work while being muted on boring conference calls. Today it was about who would be prepared for a zombie apocalypse. Some in the room had no desire, and would prefer to eat a bullet than battle zombies.:D

I suppose I could kill a few, but I have family members with years invested in killing them on video games. Hate to see all that talent wasted.

Hmmm. I can/t say I have ever been presented with a choice between eating a bullet and battling zombies. I would have to think about that.

And here is something else to ponder. (Disclaimer: this was posted on Facebook by my cousin who has a PhD in a scientific field):

14445972_1019602591483628_20644233134785556_n.jpg

However, today is the first day of autumn, 2016. Our forecast is for possible snow in the high mountains by the weekend--our furnace isn't supposed to be turned on for a week yet--and the aspens are sporting their full glory along with the darker hues of the oak and the red maple in New Mexico. . .

1400-ss-best--fall-foliage-trips-1-aspen-colorado.imgcache.rev1410886198138.web.jpg

I can't even cook grocery store meat very well, I'm certainly not going to try to skin and prepare a rabbit unless I absolutely have to. :lol:

Then there is the problem of picking out the shotgun pellets, and crushing the fleas that jump off dead rabbits.
I have been there and done that.

Forum List

Back