USMB Coffee Shop IV

Went up to Ft Stanton Saturday and showed off my not quite finished frock mostly for critique by one of the guys who's been making his own for at least a decade. He was able to point out why it looked "frumpy", the shoulders are too long and the sleeves are too baggy, pretty much what I already thought. Everyone thinks I did a much better job than I thought I did so I need to work on those two issues, add buttons and button holes then look at making civilian trousers.

So with all these developing tailoring skills, what's the chances we'll see you on Project Runway soon?

landing_image.png

Pretty sure it's in most US grocery stores.

Is the other 5% glue?
Mix flour and water ya get glue........ :eusa_whistle:

Went up to Ft Stanton Saturday and showed off my not quite finished frock mostly for critique by one of the guys who's been making his own for at least a decade. He was able to point out why it looked "frumpy", the shoulders are too long and the sleeves are too baggy, pretty much what I already thought. Everyone thinks I did a much better job than I thought I did so I need to work on those two issues, add buttons and button holes then look at making civilian trousers.

So with all these developing tailoring skills, what's the chances we'll see you on Project Runway soon?
At my age I definitely won't be doing any modeling soon........ :eusa_whistle:

Okay boys and girls, it's time for our semi-occasional lesson. Today's lesson will be on nutrition.

For some time now I have been using dietary means to correct some medical issues I have had and am enjoying considerable success with that. We all know that highly processed foods are not good for us, but haven't we been taught that for heart health, potatoes and cereals are preferable to high fat foods and red meat? So today I run across this article that says just the opposite--all that good cheese and butter and red meat is good for us while breads, cereals, and potatoes are increasing heart disease and type II diabetes.

I will have to admit that since I have added more protein and highly saturated fat into my diet (flax seed oil and flax seed for instance), I am getting great blood tests and I feel much better.

But with them changing the rules every few weeks, who do we trust? Sometimes I think we know better what works for us than the experts do.

Potatoes and cereals are health risk, while dairy is good for you, says new study

I was told to stop eating cheese years ago. I still used to have cheese sandwiches for breakfast, but now I have stopped that and I have been eating Weetabix instead. I have noticed a distinct loss of stomach fat since then.

I don't know what Weetabix is, but if it's working for you, then it must be good for you.

You don't have Weetabix in America ? It's a whole wheat cereal. Comes in a dry slab , you just add milk.

Well apparently most of the Coffee Shoppers have heard of it but I sure hadn't. But then I rarely look at ads and if our local super market carries it, it is really not prominently featured on the shelves. Here shredded wheat is the more common whole wheat cereal sold by almost all breakfast cereal manufacturers. Like Peach I use very little processed food of any kind except sometimes for those very occasional guilty pleasures, and I do think we do our bodies a favor by buying wholesome ingredients and making our own stuff within reason.

Okay boys and girls, it's time for our semi-occasional lesson. Today's lesson will be on nutrition.

For some time now I have been using dietary means to correct some medical issues I have had and am enjoying considerable success with that. We all know that highly processed foods are not good for us, but haven't we been taught that for heart health, potatoes and cereals are preferable to high fat foods and red meat? So today I run across this article that says just the opposite--all that good cheese and butter and red meat is good for us while breads, cereals, and potatoes are increasing heart disease and type II diabetes.

I will have to admit that since I have added more protein and highly saturated fat into my diet (flax seed oil and flax seed for instance), I am getting great blood tests and I feel much better.

But with them changing the rules every few weeks, who do we trust? Sometimes I think we know better what works for us than the experts do.

Potatoes and cereals are health risk, while dairy is good for you, says new study

I was told to stop eating cheese years ago. I still used to have cheese sandwiches for breakfast, but now I have stopped that and I have been eating Weetabix instead. I have noticed a distinct loss of stomach fat since then.

I don't know what Weetabix is, but if it's working for you, then it must be good for you.

You don't have Weetabix in America ? It's a whole wheat cereal. Comes in a dry slab , you just add milk.

Well apparently most of the Coffee Shoppers have heard of it but I sure hadn't. But then I rarely look at ads and if our local super market carries it, it is really not prominently featured on the shelves. Here shredded wheat is the more common whole wheat cereal sold by almost all breakfast cereal manufacturers. Like Peach I use very little processed food of any kind except sometimes for those very occasional guilty pleasures, and I do think we do our bodies a favor by buying wholesome ingredients and making our own stuff within reason.

I'd never heard of it either, and I'm a big cereal eater. Of course, I don't like having to break up my cereal before I eat it, I prefer it being packaged in much smaller pieces. :lol:

I guess it never gets cold in Southern California. I am tired of the heat.

Meanwhile...I think Friend is bi polar. More switcheroos happenin'. MrG told me to stay in our room, ask nothing, do nothing, keep a low profile cuz as soon as we can, we will get out of here. So..thats the plan. At least we have a roof, internet, tv, a place to cook and pee and shower.

I got two pleasant surprises today, which put a better spin on the misery of being here in jail, and those surprises were from the vet here that sent a nice note of condolences for Moki where ALL the vets and staff signed it (12 total) and in the mail was another sympathy card from our old vet back home..also signed by staff and the vet himself (he has no more partners now..just him and his staff). I guess the two hospitals were convo'ing with each other and this vet told my old vet and that is how he found out. Regardless...it was a nice thing to get in the mail.

Today I took moki out of his pretty box and poured his ashes in with Gracie's..which is what I have wanted to do but had to take some time before I could. today was the day.

And that is about all that is going on here. Same shit, different day. I did sell the zuni necklace...still waiting on someone to buy the rest of it. MrG went yard salin' with FH (Friends Husband) and got a pair of leather motorcycle chaps..so I slapped those on CL along with the rest of the jewelry. He scored a ULU...which gallantwarrior would appreciate, lol. Soon as I saw it, I thought of GW :lol:. He also bought me a lounge chair with a pad, but Friend said no when I asked if I could put it in the back yard. Which was no surprise although she has been helping in looking for one cuz she knew I wanted one but now all of a sudden its "no" again. So...right now I have it over by the trash cans where there is nothing but flies. When it starts to rain here eventually, we will store it in MrGs truck since all of a sudden no lounge chairs are allowed in her back yard. *eye roll*
So sorry about your living arrangements, Gracie. I certainly hope you find a better situation sooner than later. (I guarantee, you could put anything you want in the yard here, heh-heh-heh!) I cannot imagine having to share a roof with too many other people. Hell, I even bought and moved into a 28' travel trailer rather than continue sharing with my hoarder partner. Even when I was in the Army, I preferred having a place off-post rather than living in the barracks (dorm).

I think it depends a lot on your metabolic make-up, Foxy. I did some research on a "Eat Right for your Blood Type" diet a couple of years ago and had pretty good success with that. Being a more primitive, type-O, it is recommended that I eat more meat and green veggies, nuts, etc, leaving dairy and cultivated grains for others.

Greetings, All!
It's been a while, again.
The boss came by a couple of mornings ago and asked how I was doing. I told him he owed me a nickel. He pulled one out of his pocket and asked "Why?". I informed him that I've been working like a nickel whore and wanted to be paid. (We are short-handed and the rest of us are doing lots more than usual.) He laughed and gave me the coin. I wonder if asking for a raise would be as effective?
I attended my first "adoption clinic" Sunday. I've decided I'd like another little dog and would rather adopt a needy adult than some cutsie puppy. The only dog that seemed to be interested in me was a 17-month-old Great Dane. Sorry, that doesn't fit into my definition of "small". I was told that the "Chihuahua people" should be there next weekend. I'll go by and see what happens. I miss my Uschi soooo much!
It's full blown fall, winter waiting in the wings here. The leaves are all gone from the trees, we've had a couple of layers of termination dust (which melted), and they are telling us that there should be flurries of snow tonight. We'll see...

Flurries. That sounds so....refreshing. Have I said how much I loathe the desert? Why yes, I believe I have. Many times. But just in case...I LOATHE it here. Not just the area, but the house I am in jail in. Loathe it.

Found a mobile home in Magalia Ca (upper northern calif), where I have been looking for a year or two anyway, and its 15K. I wish I could win the lottery. I would buy it sight unseen and leave tomorrow. Space rent is 500 bucks per month but fuck...the home itself is only 15K! Only, says I. Only. Like, that is like a million bucks. And, we were told by a mortgage company that we would be approved for a home no more than 100K but the payments would be higher so we should look to the 50/60K range. And I don't want a home on a residential street. No control over the neighbors if you have bad ones on each side of ya and behind ya. Especially here in this area. Hell, everywhere I look that isn't gated, is the hood. No thanks. I'll stick with hunting for a 55+ age mobile home park where they control what everyone does noise wise..and pig wise. I want no dump but I don't want the taj mahal either.

So...my next plan of action is already in motion. I am going home. We will rent a uhaul and take the small amount of stuff we bought after we got here...store it..and live in our cars. No rent. No jail. No "no, no, no". No tippy toeing except hiding from cops cuz we are sneak sleeping in our cars. Rent a motel room once a week for showers, otherwise wash in public restrooms at the beach the surfers use. Get general delivery for mail. Go to social services and tell them we are truly homeless now and maybe they will bump us up on the housing list. And maybe..just maybe..I will find a Owner Finance home that will accept rent we can afford and we buy the damn place. And in return for that kindness...once we are dead, they can have the damn thing back and resell it. Win win. We get a roof, we pay for that roof, then give it back to the one that we bought it from and he/she gets double money.

Is someone out there that would do that? I have no clue, but I plan to look for one and at least I will be in familiar surroundings.

Lee, I sure wish you were not so far away. I'd be there in a heartbeat and bring you a lap dog just for yourself even though you would love Karma, lol.

Flurries. That sounds so....refreshing. Have I said how much I loathe the desert? Why yes, I believe I have. Many times. But just in case...I LOATHE it here. Not just the area, but the house I am in jail in. Loathe it.

Found a mobile home in Magalia Ca (upper northern calif), where I have been looking for a year or two anyway, and its 15K. I wish I could win the lottery. I would buy it sight unseen and leave tomorrow. Space rent is 500 bucks per month but fuck...the home itself is only 15K! Only, says I. Only. Like, that is like a million bucks. And, we were told by a mortgage company that we would be approved for a home no more than 100K but the payments would be higher so we should look to the 50/60K range. And I don't want a home on a residential street. No control over the neighbors if you have bad ones on each side of ya and behind ya. Especially here in this area. Hell, everywhere I look that isn't gated, is the hood. No thanks. I'll stick with hunting for a 55+ age mobile home park where they control what everyone does noise wise..and pig wise. I want no dump but I don't want the taj mahal either.

So...my next plan of action is already in motion. I am going home. We will rent a uhaul and take the small amount of stuff we bought after we got here...store it..and live in our cars. No rent. No jail. No "no, no, no". No tippy toeing except hiding from cops cuz we are sneak sleeping in our cars. Rent a motel room once a week for showers, otherwise wash in public restrooms at the beach the surfers use. Get general delivery for mail. Go to social services and tell them we are truly homeless now and maybe they will bump us up on the housing list. And maybe..just maybe..I will find a Owner Finance home that will accept rent we can afford and we buy the damn place. And in return for that kindness...once we are dead, they can have the damn thing back and resell it. Win win. We get a roof, we pay for that roof, then give it back to the one that we bought it from and he/she gets double money.

Is someone out there that would do that? I have no clue, but I plan to look for one and at least I will be in familiar surroundings.

Lee, I sure wish you were not so far away. I'd be there in a heartbeat and bring you a lap dog just for yourself even though you would love Karma, lol.

Sorry things aren't better, Gracie. :(

Last I had read you were thinking you were going to the in-laws. Did that fall through??

Sorry things aren't better, Gracie. :(

Last I had read you were thinking you were going to the in-laws. Did that fall through??
Pretty much. I don't want to go there and a month later they say "welp, we are off to arizona. Wanna come with?" and we have to pack up and move AGAIN. I am NOT going further east to the damn desert where it is even more deserty!!

Gracie, I wish I were in a better position to help out. I know how far away I am, and we are "slipping into darkness" as the season progresses. Oh, but maybe if you could see the Aurora playing overhead, and relish the toasty warmth of a wood fire while watching the snow fall outside...Still, I do hope you find your peace. Luvs ya!

Aww....aurora sounds so peaceful. Hell, who knows. Some day you might hear a knock on the door and on the other side, two voices mumbling "FUCKDAMN ITS COLD HERE!" :lol:

MrG asked if you could send pitchers of da hood of where you is. I googled it but he wants to see da goats.

:lol: I was thinking Alaska. I was thinking I had discussed with him a little.

Forum List

Back