USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay boys and girls, it's time for our semi-occasional lesson. Today's lesson will be on nutrition.

For some time now I have been using dietary means to correct some medical issues I have had and am enjoying considerable success with that. We all know that highly processed foods are not good for us, but haven't we been taught that for heart health, potatoes and cereals are preferable to high fat foods and red meat? So today I run across this article that says just the opposite--all that good cheese and butter and red meat is good for us while breads, cereals, and potatoes are increasing heart disease and type II diabetes.

I will have to admit that since I have added more protein and highly saturated fat into my diet (flax seed oil and flax seed for instance), I am getting great blood tests and I feel much better.

But with them changing the rules every few weeks, who do we trust? Sometimes I think we know better what works for us than the experts do.

Potatoes and cereals are health risk, while dairy is good for you, says new study
I think it depends a lot on your metabolic make-up, Foxy. I did some research on a "Eat Right for your Blood Type" diet a couple of years ago and had pretty good success with that. Being a more primitive, type-O, it is recommended that I eat more meat and green veggies, nuts, etc, leaving dairy and cultivated grains for others.

Again if that works for you, I say you're doing what works for you GW. I am not about to tell anybody that they are doing it wrong when it is working for them. I am a bit dubious about the blood type diet in general though--Web MD also discards it as bogus--but maybe it is because I don't want to be a vegetarian which is what the blood type diet recommends for us A positive types.

The blood type diet apparently became popular when published by naturopath Peter D'Adamo. For me: ("Type A blood: A meat-free diet based on fruits and vegetables, beans and legumes, and whole grains -- ideally, organic and fresh, because D'Adamo says people with type A blood have a sensitive immune system.")

I have a powerful immune system--rarely catch anything going around, not even head colds, and am almost never sick. In all honesty I do go heavier on the non meat sides--fruit, veggies, etc.--instead of the featured meat most of the time--the exception would be with fish and seafood that I love-- but I do enjoy at least a small portion of almost all animal proteins and I feel better when I get more protein. My main source of intentional fats though comes from flax oil (specially prepared to be water soluble) and flax seed which are of course vegetarian and are working well for me.

D'Adamo also says you Type O people should be doing vigorous aerobic exercise while my blood type should be doing yoga and tai chi. :) I think I prefer aerobics--primarily vigorous walking on the treadmill that also should reverse a bit of bone thinning noted at my age. I had become more sedentary that last few years and I think that caused that. So I'm mending my ways and making sure I do get some intentional physical conditioning every day.

Here's a very condensed summary of D'Adamo's plan on Web MD. But again, if it is working for you or anybody, then it is working. I don't trust the medical profession all that much when it comes to nutrition.
Blood Type Diet: Eating for Types O, A, B, & AB

Last edited:
Greetings, All!
It's been a while, again.
The boss came by a couple of mornings ago and asked how I was doing. I told him he owed me a nickel. He pulled one out of his pocket and asked "Why?". I informed him that I've been working like a nickel whore and wanted to be paid. (We are short-handed and the rest of us are doing lots more than usual.) He laughed and gave me the coin. I wonder if asking for a raise would be as effective?
I attended my first "adoption clinic" Sunday. I've decided I'd like another little dog and would rather adopt a needy adult than some cutsie puppy. The only dog that seemed to be interested in me was a 17-month-old Great Dane. Sorry, that doesn't fit into my definition of "small". I was told that the "Chihuahua people" should be there next weekend. I'll go by and see what happens. I miss my Uschi soooo much!
It's full blown fall, winter waiting in the wings here. The leaves are all gone from the trees, we've had a couple of layers of termination dust (which melted), and they are telling us that there should be flurries of snow tonight. We'll see...
Fall here too. Bitterly cold mornings in the mid 60s. About ready to head south.

Went up to Ft Stanton Saturday and showed off my not quite finished frock mostly for critique by one of the guys who's been making his own for at least a decade. He was able to point out why it looked "frumpy", the shoulders are too long and the sleeves are too baggy, pretty much what I already thought. Everyone thinks I did a much better job than I thought I did so I need to work on those two issues, add buttons and button holes then look at making civilian trousers.

So with all these developing tailoring skills, what's the chances we'll see you on Project Runway soon?
At my age I definitely won't be doing any modeling soon........ :eusa_whistle:

LOL. They furnish you some really great models. What you do on Project Runway is design and sew the clothing the models will wear and receive feedback from the judges. The winner of the show gets some pretty impressive stuff though.

14681629_10153783086771891_5226892935795075841_n.jpg

For you punny people. ;)

I had a friend called Aidan Shingler who organised an art exhibition at the royal college of art in the 1990s I exhibited and sold a painting there. I lost touch with Aidan when he moved up north but I did a google search on him and found the following. I am very proud of his success. I purchased his book, 'one in a hundred' from amazon

StarDisc Introduction

Went up to Ft Stanton Saturday and showed off my not quite finished frock mostly for critique by one of the guys who's been making his own for at least a decade. He was able to point out why it looked "frumpy", the shoulders are too long and the sleeves are too baggy, pretty much what I already thought. Everyone thinks I did a much better job than I thought I did so I need to work on those two issues, add buttons and button holes then look at making civilian trousers.

So with all these developing tailoring skills, what's the chances we'll see you on Project Runway soon?

LOL. They furnish you some really great models. What you do on Project Runway is design and sew the clothing the models will wear and receive feedback from the judges. The winner of the show gets some pretty impressive stuff though.
I'll redesign some early bathing suits........ :eusa_whistle:

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

Okay, so I buy some property with a house for me and I build a bunch of small mini houses out in the woods. Connect them all with tin can phones. Does that work for everyone?

:lol: I was thinking Alaska. I was thinking I had discussed with him a little.

He works in Anchorage but I believe his farm is in or near Willow which is about halfway between Anchorage and Talkeetna, northwest of Anchorage. Very rural but within an hour or to the city, doctors, shopping, etc. Sun lovers though would have a tough time during an Alaska winter I would think. Better suited for somebody like me who is a winter person and a night person. The first years we lived on the mountain, nightfall comes quickly because our place was near Sandia Crest (10,600+ ft) that was between us and the western sun. Some people out there that bothered but not me. And the first winters we were out there, we got a LOT of snow--snow is measured in feet instead of inches there--and there is something wonderful sitting by the wood fire watching the snowly falling outside.

Last edited:

I'll redesign some early bathing suits........ :eusa_whistle:

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

You would have to appreciate that high fashion is not really my thing--I'm a jeans and sweatshirt kind of person--but I do enjoy Project Runway seeing what the contestants do starting from scratch and designing and sewing something within a day or two they have to do it, put it on a fashion model, and have it judged by very picky high fashion judges.

And what I have observed is retro is okay so long as it is fashion forward. :) (In all honesty I've never quite understood what that term meant to those judges.)

Okay, so I buy some property with a house for me and I build a bunch of small mini houses out in the woods. Connect them all with tin can phones. Does that work for everyone?

I'm thinking about that. I could deal with the mini house so long as there was a kitchen, bed, and a place for both our computers. But I really do need high definition and wifi.

I'm thinking about that. I could deal with the mini house so long as there was a kitchen, bed, and a place for both our computers. But I really do need high definition and wifi.

I guess, as long as you don't hog bandwidth. ;)

I would use so much bandwidth. :D

I would use so much bandwidth. :D

Yes, well I have five grandkids, so extra babysitting for you.

omg...Project Runway has judges that think Fugly is Chic!!!

omg...Project Runway has judges that think Fugly is Chic!!!

Their taste is very often not my taste for sure. Some outfits I think are really nice they hate, and some they love I wouldn't put in my closet if they paid me--well, maybe if they paid me. But I sure wouldn't want to wear them.

Same judges, same lame oohs and aahs on crap I wouldn't put on my dog, same boney models, same drama in the sewing room. I watch it mostly just to laugh at the idiocy of it all.

Forum List

Back