USMB Coffee Shop IV

Went up to Ft Stanton Saturday and showed off my not quite finished frock mostly for critique by one of the guys who's been making his own for at least a decade. He was able to point out why it looked "frumpy", the shoulders are too long and the sleeves are too baggy, pretty much what I already thought. Everyone thinks I did a much better job than I thought I did so I need to work on those two issues, add buttons and button holes then look at making civilian trousers.

So with all these developing tailoring skills, what's the chances we'll see you on Project Runway soon?
At my age I definitely won't be doing any modeling soon........ :eusa_whistle:

LOL. They furnish you some really great models. What you do on Project Runway is design and sew the clothing the models will wear and receive feedback from the judges. The winner of the show gets some pretty impressive stuff though.
I'll redesign some early bathing suits........ :eusa_whistle:

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

You would have to appreciate that high fashion is not really my thing--I'm a jeans and sweatshirt kind of person--but I do enjoy Project Runway seeing what the contestants do starting from scratch and designing and sewing something within a day or two they have to do it, put it on a fashion model, and have it judged by very picky high fashion judges.

And what I have observed is retro is okay so long as it is fashion forward. :) (In all honesty I've never quite understood what that term meant to those judges.)

Most of the clothes that they present in runway shows are not what normal people are wearing, and to be brutally honest, are just butt UGLY. I don't know how they make any money off some of those clothes. It's a mystery to me. I can't imagine anyone buying/wearing this!

Burberry-Runway-Show-September-2016.png

So with all these developing tailoring skills, what's the chances we'll see you on Project Runway soon?

LOL. They furnish you some really great models. What you do on Project Runway is design and sew the clothing the models will wear and receive feedback from the judges. The winner of the show gets some pretty impressive stuff though.

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

You would have to appreciate that high fashion is not really my thing--I'm a jeans and sweatshirt kind of person--but I do enjoy Project Runway seeing what the contestants do starting from scratch and designing and sewing something within a day or two they have to do it, put it on a fashion model, and have it judged by very picky high fashion judges.

And what I have observed is retro is okay so long as it is fashion forward. :) (In all honesty I've never quite understood what that term meant to those judges.)

Most of the clothes that they present in runway shows are not what normal people are wearing, and to be brutally honest, are just butt UGLY. I don't know how they make any money off some of those clothes. It's a mystery to me. I can't imagine anyone buying/wearing this!

Love the jacket, though. And why do models think they're becoming when they put on such an unhappy face? Looks like a moody teenager whose just been told no cellphone for a week.

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

Love the jacket, though. And why do models think they're becoming when they put on such an unhappy face? Looks like a moody teenager whose just been told no cellphone for a week.

Half of them probably ARE moody teenagers. :lol:

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

Some of them are probably just sick or not feeling well from starving themselves half to death too. Gosh, look at how THIN she is!

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

Some of them are probably just sick or not feeling well from starving themselves half to death too. Gosh, look at how THIN she is!
If I were her mother....but then, odds are she wouldn't be long legged and definitely not blonde.

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

If I were her mother....but then, odds are she wouldn't be long legged and definitely not blonde.

Yes, most of them are really tall. The purpose of the runway model is basically a clotheshanger. They want them to be thin so that their bodies aren't distracting attention away from the clothes. That's my theory. A shame because you can tell some of these girls are sick by just looking at them. No way can you be that thin and that tall and still be healthy.

Turned down two life insurance jobs so far this week. There is one in waste management that sounds worth looking into.

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

I think the theory is that the model is to show off the clothes and not divert attention to her. So the model is trained to be emotionless and not demonstrate any personality.

Last edited:

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

The quote function got messed up and some of the phrases you quoted are mine and some are Gracies. But I agree the models are really too thin. I think there is probably a trend now for more 'normal' models because these, even plus size, in the off the rack fashion magazines are selling clothes as efficiently as the emaciated ones. And I think that is a good thing.

Turned down two life insurance jobs so far this week. There is one in waste management that sounds worth looking into.

When we first married, Hombre was working for Sears as a salesman as a department manager in paint and hardware. But because his management duties were so demanding and took so much time, he had less time to sell and his commissions suffered accordingly. So he left that to sell life insurance with American National Insurance and did that for a year, making fair money but hating every minute of it. Finally got work with a finance/insurance company and did that for several years and became a branch manager before he was offered a job to train as an insurance adjuster. That turned out to be his calling and he was brilliant at it. But by the time he retired he was completely burned out and ready to go into business with me and we ran our own business until we both had had enough and retired for good.

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

The jacket isn't me but I agree I do like it. Put it over a white, navy, or red shirt and shorts and it would work for me. The mixed prints just look messy, unappealing, and are a complete turn off for me. Even by themselves those prints are unappealing and a turn off for me.

But the designers also offer looks that are really pretty and I love to see even though I probably wouldn't buy or wear them either:

project-runway3_1318794i.jpg

Last edited:
I went grocery shopping yesterday, and I saw the biggest onion I've ever seen in my life! It was YUGE. Almost as big as my head! :ack-1: It was the onion of all onions!

But that is only half the story. Did you BUY the onion?

No, I didn't need one THAT big! :lol: All of them were pretty big, but that one was the biggest one I've ever seen. I wonder why they're so big?

Went up to Ft Stanton Saturday and showed off my not quite finished frock mostly for critique by one of the guys who's been making his own for at least a decade. He was able to point out why it looked "frumpy", the shoulders are too long and the sleeves are too baggy, pretty much what I already thought. Everyone thinks I did a much better job than I thought I did so I need to work on those two issues, add buttons and button holes then look at making civilian trousers.

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

I know about the show, seen the ads for it in the past and never been interested. As for fashion forward, it's a couturier phrase for modern with a retro feel/look.

That big onion was most likely grown near a nuclear power plant. I worked at a nuclear power plant for nearly 15 years. We had cats there nearly the size of a mountain lion. Some sparrows were the size of a condor. After I retired from that job it took me three years to quit glowing in the dark.

swimearlyvics400new.jpg

The jacket isn't me but I agree I do like it. Put it over a white, navy, or red shirt and shorts and it would work for me. The mixed prints just look messy, unappealing, and are a complete turn off for me. Even by themselves those prints are unappealing and a turn off for me.

But the designers also offer looks that are really pretty and I love to see even though I probably wouldn't buy or wear them either:

project-runway3_1318794i.jpg

Those are pretty, but I wonder where on earth would I wear something like that? A little overdressed for most of the things I like to do . . . or can afford to do! :lol: Those dresses probably cost a lot of money.

Forum List

Back