USMB Coffee Shop IV

We have 32 Celsius degrees here today (which means 90 Fahrenheit degrees) :)

Well of course would be living in Vietnam :)
Its about the same as Florida it's tropical. :)
How have you been?
Hi Peach How you doing? :bye1:
I'm ok! But the weather here is killing me! Insects and mosquitos everywhere :D

Yuk!
I hate bugs.
I live in the desert not many mosquitos here, we have tarantulas.
Tarantulas!! :scared1:
You guys have tarantulas over there?

yeoow go swimming!
It should be wonderful! But I can't swim! :)

No, this cant be true! you must learn how. everyone should learn, its an incredible experience
No it's true I can't swim :)
I'm afraid of the ocean. I go to the beach sometimes but I spend my time "tanning":biggrin:
I used inverted commas because my skin is and remains pale! Even if I spent 15 hours at the beach :laugh:

If I spent one hour or so at the beach without a very good sunscreen, I would be red as a lobster. I don't tan easily either but I do sunburn easily.

I used to teach swim classes now and then and specialized in working with those truly terrified of the water. I only had one failure and that was one of my very best friends. She was the most aquaphobic person I have ever known. She so badly wanted to conquer her fear, but just could not. After about a year of trying we both agreed to give up.

But she was the rare exception. If you ever have the need to know how to swim or ever decide that you just want to, I'm sure you would master that ability in a short time.
I'm not much of a fan of the sun, or tanning. Being a "ginger", albeit a dark one, means I'll burn before I tan. I like to swim, though.

I have targeted December 17 as the Day of the Tree. I've got a beauty tagged out at the Christmas tree farm. On the Day of the Tree, I'll drive out there, have my friend and owner of the Christmas tree farm cut it down, put it on the shaker to remove as many loose needles as possible (there's always some dried grass stuck in the tree and a few needles close to the trunk hang on desperately). then he'll toss it in the baler which wraps the boughs up and makes it easier to toss into the car for the trip back to the luxurious Pimplebutt Estate.

Time between the saw blade touching the trunk and the tree up in its holder filled with water: 45 minutes! You can't get fresher than that! The tree will be untwined from its wrapping and the boughs will unfold. Dozen strings of miniature lights later and we're ready for trimming. A silver Moravian star tops the tree, silver, red, gold and green ornaments adorn it and a garland of silver beads drapes elegantly from the boughs. An ivory and gold embroidered tree skirt is placed around the base. Then my tragically wrapped gifts are arraigned around that.

I know where the mistletoe is in the oak forests. I gather up some of that and make a kissing ball that goes in the center of the ceiling in the Great Hall. The arched doorways to the kitchen, front portico and bedchambers are decked with red berry and grapevine garlands. The mantle gets slabs of green Styrofoam into which artificial pine boughs, artificial red berry sprigs and small ornaments are stuck. The whole thing is topped off with miniature Christmas lights.

I'll begin vacuuming that day and repeat every day until mid April once all the errant needles have been removed from the floors. This season drives Daisy the Mutt absolutely ape as she and the vacuum sweeper do not agree on anything.

Because I am blessed to be married to a 30-year general insurance adjuster who worked mostly the big, complicated losses/claims, we are not allowed a real tree. He worked too many Christmas fires. If I insisted he would probably reluctantly agree, but because it would be so uncomfortable or worrisome for him, we enjoy our little 4' table top tree that is already wired with lights and sets up and decorates in a few minutes. And it is good.

But it sure doesn't smell like that freshly cut real Christmas tree. :)

Morning!

It's 8:32 and 20 degrees.
Way to cold for us desert dwellers. :eek-52:

Yes for this desert dweller too. It is 20 degrees at our house as well. Certainly way too cold for November.
Whew! 20 degrees would bring out the Speedos and Coppertone right now. It's 5 degrees here and -9 up at the cabin.

Brrr. I would love Alaska in the summertime I think. But those winters. . . .I think you would have to be a special kind of person to enjoy them.

Yuk!
I hate bugs.

They aren't as bad as you might think. They are huge among spiders and are mildly poisonous but not deadly. And they won't bite unless provoked. If you are gentle you can safely hold them in your hand. (So I've been told. I haven't actually done that and probably won't.) A lot of people keep them as pets.

I had a friend who had one as a pet. *shudder* I'll pass!

I have one that lives in my front yard. He keeps the bugs down around the front porch.
He's black and white, a very unusal color from the rest who are tan and dark brown.

Tarantula Facts

We don't kill or remove every daddy longleg spider we see in the house either for the same reason. They don't make huge webs and they are harmless to humans, but if they are around, we don't have to worry about getting any bad spiders in the house. So I can appreciate you having a 'guard' tarantula on your place. I wouldn't bother him/her either. For the same reason when we lived out on the mountain, we cautioned our house guests not to kill the couple of king snakes that lived somewhere close to the house. They are harmless to humans but deadly to any rattlesnake that happened to venture onto the property.

The highway from I-40 to Santa Fe that goes along the east side of our mountain--our road to town when we lived out there--is two lane traveling through really rugged country. I often drove it when we were still working as I worked in Santa Fe quite a bit.

One day I was headed to Santa Fe when I pulled over to watch a tarantula migration that happens now and then. Thousands of tarantulas all moving together across the highway. An amazing thing to see. And I was a bit amused to see how many people in vehicles will swerve to avoid hitting a spider. :)
While I generally find spiders to be...well, icky, I have become more welcoming to the spiders who set up shop in the windows around my house. They nab flies and ants and keep those populations in check, to some extent. They haven't bothered me, or mine, so far, so I'm OK if they keep up their fly abatement programs.

I have targeted December 17 as the Day of the Tree. I've got a beauty tagged out at the Christmas tree farm. On the Day of the Tree, I'll drive out there, have my friend and owner of the Christmas tree farm cut it down, put it on the shaker to remove as many loose needles as possible (there's always some dried grass stuck in the tree and a few needles close to the trunk hang on desperately). then he'll toss it in the baler which wraps the boughs up and makes it easier to toss into the car for the trip back to the luxurious Pimplebutt Estate.

Time between the saw blade touching the trunk and the tree up in its holder filled with water: 45 minutes! You can't get fresher than that! The tree will be untwined from its wrapping and the boughs will unfold. Dozen strings of miniature lights later and we're ready for trimming. A silver Moravian star tops the tree, silver, red, gold and green ornaments adorn it and a garland of silver beads drapes elegantly from the boughs. An ivory and gold embroidered tree skirt is placed around the base. Then my tragically wrapped gifts are arraigned around that.

I know where the mistletoe is in the oak forests. I gather up some of that and make a kissing ball that goes in the center of the ceiling in the Great Hall. The arched doorways to the kitchen, front portico and bedchambers are decked with red berry and grapevine garlands. The mantle gets slabs of green Styrofoam into which artificial pine boughs, artificial red berry sprigs and small ornaments are stuck. The whole thing is topped off with miniature Christmas lights.

I'll begin vacuuming that day and repeat every day until mid April once all the errant needles have been removed from the floors. This season drives Daisy the Mutt absolutely ape as she and the vacuum sweeper do not agree on anything.

Because I am blessed to be married to a 30-year general insurance adjuster who worked mostly the big, complicated losses/claims, we are not allowed a real tree. He worked too many Christmas fires. If I insisted he would probably reluctantly agree, but because it would be so uncomfortable or worrisome for him, we enjoy our little 4' table top tree that is already wired with lights and sets up and decorates in a few minutes. And it is good.

You can get air freshener that smells like spruce or pine, or a nice candle.

Morning!

It's 8:32 and 20 degrees.
Way to cold for us desert dwellers. :eek-52:

Yes for this desert dweller too. It is 20 degrees at our house as well. Certainly way too cold for November.
Whew! 20 degrees would bring out the Speedos and Coppertone right now. It's 5 degrees here and -9 up at the cabin.

Brrr. I would love Alaska in the summertime I think. But those winters. . . .I think you would have to be a special kind of person to enjoy them.
Most people who come here like Alaskan summers. For me, the best thing about winter is you stay inside and get a lot of "indoor" projects done. Nothing like working, or just sitting, in front of a wood stove.

Well of course would be living in Vietnam :)
Its about the same as Florida it's tropical. :)
How have you been?
Hi Peach How you doing? :bye1:
I'm ok! But the weather here is killing me! Insects and mosquitos everywhere :D

Yuk!
I hate bugs.
You guys have tarantulas over there?

I found this graphic showing tarantula ranges. . .though it is incorrect in not including almost all of the southern two thirds of New Mexico.

map-tarantula-160-cb1438267545.gif

And Asia:
asia-map.gif

So looks possible, yes?

Last edited:

Back in the days of my youth, Christmas trees stood erect by way of a cross of wood tacked to the base of the trunk. No reservoir of fresh water to keep the tree sated. Then they put a wire insulated with asbestos laden cloth and carrying sockets for 7 watt light bulbs around those dried branches.

The home was heated by a coal furnace. Little clumps of soot would swirl around on the front porches like tiny black tornados. The air hung thick with the aroma of burning coal. Every day, embers were removed from the furnace. Some folks put the coal ash in pasteboard boxes and then spread them out on snow covered streets in lieu of rock salt. Sometimes a clinker, an unburned pebble of coal, would show up in those pasteboard boxes.

I swear to God, I don't know how houses just didn't explode with dry Christmas trees, hot lights, coal embers and faulty knob and tube wiring.

You can get air freshener that smells like spruce or pine, or a nice candle.

I know. But it really isn't the same. Nobody has been able to 100% duplicate what Mother Nature offers us.

Back in the days of my youth, Christmas trees stood erect by way of a cross of wood tacked to the base of the trunk. No reservoir of fresh water to keep the tree sated. Then they put a wire insulated with asbestos laden cloth and carrying sockets for 7 watt light bulbs around those dried branches.

The home was heated by a coal furnace. Little clumps of soot would swirl around on the front porches like tiny black tornados. The air hung thick with the aroma of burning coal. Every day, embers were removed from the furnace. Some folks put the coal ash in pasteboard boxes and then spread them out on snow covered streets in lieu of rock salt. Sometimes a clinker, an unburned pebble of coal, would show up in those pasteboard boxes.

I swear to God, I don't know how houses just didn't explode with dry Christmas trees, hot lights, coal embers and faulty knob and tube wiring.

No kidding. I imagine a lot of them actually did. :( Those of us in small towns lucky enough to not have that happen and without television informing us of tragedies happening elsewhere, we just weren't aware of it.

There was a sort of blessing in not having all that instant information.

Welcome Dalia. Many years ago when I was in the Navy I found myself in France a few times. I enjoyed it there and had a great time.
Thank you Big Black Dog...the food is great and so good and like a lot frog legs with butter garlic and parsley where i am going for christmas the French woman cook so well French as a thing with cooking and we stay at the table for a long long time.

French food is right up at the top among my favorite cuisines. And I love a good French restaurant.
Bonsoir, Frog legs are not a meal that American or English peoples like a lot but French Peoples don't like Eggnog :) i mean they will never be able to try it. i like Eggnog with a little bit of rhum :)

That must be the Canadian influence. :) From our perspective France and England have never been really warm friends, so I guess the French wouldn't appreciate a drink that originated in England. I do love good eggnog though. I just don't love the really high calorie content that is typical of American recipes.
Bonsoir à vous tous, Hello everybody Yes we could say that France and England are the best enemies and the French really don't like the cooking from England they don't like were frogs legs but we don't like they pudding...and they put mint almost in all there recipes:)

No kidding. I imagine a lot of them actually did. :( Those of us in small towns lucky enough to not have that happen and without television informing us of tragedies happening elsewhere, we just weren't aware of it.

There was a sort of blessing in not having all that instant information.
Given our hilly topography, houses are generally built cheek to jowl. From your second floor side window, you would have an excellent view of your neighbor on the right's roof and your neighbor on the left's dining room! And in some neighborhoods, there's just enough room between houses to put up a ladder. You couldn't climb it due to the tight squeeze, but you could probably put one up none the less.

I could easily understand how a fire next door could endanger your home. Fires must have leapt from one home to another with the same ease a small boy jumps across a forest stream. Fire fighters had their hands full on an alarm.

I have a question : i receive in my inbox a invitation to the new Group
Allah Snackbar! Global Islamic Terrorism Group Invitation ...and if i accept i clic on the link but the member as no message at the forum.
Is it credible ?

Hey everbody

I just got thru talking to Mr. & Mrs. Gracie on the phone.
They might have a place, still in the works.
Lets keep our fingers crossed for them.

She says Hi and to tell you all that they are doing alright.
She misses everybody and her computer.

Hope Gracie will be able to post again soon. Miss her. And hope and hope and hope they have found a solution to their dilemma.

I have a question : i receive in my inbox a invitation to the new Group
Allah Snackbar! Global Islamic Terrorism Group Invitation ...and if i accept i clic on the link but the member as no message at the forum.
Is it credible ?

Here at US Message Board? No idea. But I would sure be careful until I knew what I was getting myself into Dalia. All sorts of red flags went up in my head.

Who has two thumbs and just finished his Christmas shopping? This guy!

Now all I have to do is wait for Santa's sleigh decked out with a UPS logo and painted drab brown rather than merry red to deliver the goods!

There are two fleece pullovers that must get here before next Friday so I can take them to the embroiderers for customization. Those are for my board game night buddies.

A magic set is on its way for my six year old nephew, a smart lock should be delivered today for my brother and sister-in-law. That way their robot overlord can remotely lock and unlock their back door. Mom's heated throw blanket came yesterday and her new Roku device for her TV set will be here before too long. The Weber Smoky Mountain 18.5" smoker is in the back of my work SUV destined to stay there until Christmas Eve.

I think I remember where I stashed Daisy the Mutt's velvet jingle bell ensconced collar so she can make an even more impressive entrance at the Big House Christmas Eve. I'll buy the standing rib roast about ten days before Christmas Eve and dry age it in the refrigerator.

I mop off any juices and blood with paper towels then put the meat, unwrapped, on a dinner plate at the bottom of the frig. I change out the paper towels every day until the meat looks like a beat up old maroon handbag at the bottom of the lost and found box in a bus depot. It ain't pretty, but it does yield the juiciest, most flavorful prime rib
Hey everbody

I just got thru talking to Mr. & Mrs. Gracie on the phone.
They might have a place, still in the works.
Lets keep our fingers crossed for them.

She says Hi and to tell you all that they are doing alright.
She misses everybody and her computer.

Hope Gracie will be able to post again soon. Miss her. And hope and hope and hope they have found a solution to their dilemma.

Me too!

Welcome Dalia. Many years ago when I was in the Navy I found myself in France a few times. I enjoyed it there and had a great time.
Thank you Big Black Dog...the food is great and so good and like a lot frog legs with butter garlic and parsley where i am going for christmas the French woman cook so well French as a thing with cooking and we stay at the table for a long long time.

French food is right up at the top among my favorite cuisines. And I love a good French restaurant.
Bonsoir, Frog legs are not a meal that American or English peoples like a lot but French Peoples don't like Eggnog :) i mean they will never be able to try it. i like Eggnog with a little bit of rhum :)

That must be the Canadian influence. :) From our perspective France and England have never been really warm friends, so I guess the French wouldn't appreciate a drink that originated in England. I do love good eggnog though. I just don't love the really high calorie content that is typical of American recipes.
Bonsoir à vous tous, Hello everybody Yes we could say that France and England are the best enemies and the French really don't like the cooking from England they don't like were frogs legs but we don't like they pudding...and they put mint almost in all there recipes:)

Well there are one or two British recipes in my recipe book that we enjoy, but I hope Dajjal will forgive me for really preferring French cuisine to British. :)
(Except maybe for the frog legs and escargot. I'll have to work up some courage to try either.)

Forum List

Back