USMB Coffee Shop IV

I've seen Gone With the Wind! Beautiful movie! :)
Rossella O'Hara was splendid :bow2:

Was it the original? Vivian Leigh played Scarlett O'Hara. :) I love the dresses! Imagine getting all dressed up like that?

Leigh,%20Vivien%20(Gone%20With%20the%20Wind)_01.jpg

Was it the original? Vivian Leigh played Scarlett O'Hara. :) I love the dresses! Imagine getting all dressed up like that?

That's when ladies knew how to dress as ladies. So classy and elegant. My fav era for women's elegant apparel are the 1940s and 50s.

Meanwhile, whatcha been up to Chris?

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

That's when ladies knew how to dress as ladies. So classy and elegant. My fav era for women's elegant apparel are the 1940s and 50s.

She'd have killed for a pair of jeans instead of the corset.

Most earlier WWII movies are heavily Hollywooded and barely resemble the actual events, some are just plain patriotic, dramatic, comedic, human interest angle, love story or antiwar fiction, doesn't mean they are all bad it's just Hollywood always thought fantasy adaptation was more interesting than reality. I've found it's typically just the opposite but Hollywood never asked me......... :D

Offhand, the best WWII movie I can think of is Saving Private Ryan. I can't think of another I thought was even close. I never saw Schindler's List, though, and that was supposed to be very good.
Band of Brothers and the Pacific series were very close, Empire of the Sun is very close in some aspects fairly close in others, fantasy in a couple of character areas. Stalingrad was very good in some ways, not so much in others, Downfall, Das Boot and Letters from Iwo Jima are awesomely close. There are others but that'll do for now.
I've never seen any of these movies. I don't like war movies too much :)
I just remember one war movie I've seen few years ago with my father :biggrin:
The Great Escape with Steve McQueen!
Great movie for sure! :bowdown:
Great movie, very, very loosely based on a real event.

I prefer movies that make me feel like I am part of it

That's one of the attractions of computer games. They are like films that you participate in. I like first person shooters that show you the barrel of a gun in front of you. I quite enjoy sniping, where you get to look through a telescopic sight, and take out the enemies before they see you. But you probably would not like the violence.

Naw computer games are okay UNLESS they are just gratuitous blood and gore. My Rise of Nations game, for instance, involves destroying ALL the armed forces of the nations you conquer, and you get extra points if you take out certain citizens. One thing that bugs me a bit is that you are allowed only so much population for your own country, including the military, and in order to build your army sufficiently, you sooner or later have to kill off some of the non essential and idle citizens. And they groan or scream when you eliminate them. :(

But since it is a computer game, I can do that.

Well, according to my gyno doc, I am diabetic. According to my reg doc, I am not.
Sigh

Sounds like a third opinion is in order.

Sure, how about prediabetic, so adhering to diabetic guidelines could be helpful.

Probably, but I would want to know if I should be monitoring my blood sugar regardless of my diet. Most late onset Type II diabetes really doesn't require a huge change in diet, if any, but it is wise to know what your blood sugar numbers are.

1940s and 50s not so bad, 1860s........ Most women didn't dress like that, most wore simple day dresses without corsets and the 4+ layers of skirts, they worked hard from before sunup to often after sundown. Makeup contained lead, mercury and arsenic and most women did not wear makeup. Think no air conditioning, no central heating, bad oral hygiene, etc, etc........

About movies:
I watched Bone Tomohawk last night.

Worst Movie Ever.

Kurt Russell must have really needed the money to star in that horribly written mess.

That movie is actually pretty well reviewed. 7.1/10 on IMDB, 90% tomato rating on rotten tomatoes with 72% of audience members liking it. However, it is supposed to be an odd mix of genres, combining western, horror, and action/adventure, so I guess it's something of a niche film. I haven't seen it myself, but I've had it on my list of 'give it a try at some point' movies. :p
A lot of people supposedly liked The Hateful Eight, thought it was the most idiotically made/directed movie I've ever seen, it stunk. Maybe the younger generation likes that sort of movie. :dunno:

Do you like Tarantino's other movies? I don't think it was his best work, but it was enjoyable enough.
I never pay attention to who directs movies so I have no idea. :dunno:

I usually do. If it is Spielburg for instance I know it is going to have all the qualities that make a movie special to me except for "War Horse" where he absolutely blew it. And I generally trust Clint Eastwood to get it right, but he really blew it with "Sully" in my opinion. I was really disappointed.
You didn't like "War Horse"? Are we thinking of the same movie? I really liked "War Horse", reminded me of "Black Beauty" in many ways.

Talking of bad movies, I just watched the remake of Ben Hur, and it was not a patch on the original.
A lot of people go to see remakes expecting to watch the same thing over again just with different actors. Personally I've found many (not all) modern remakes are better than the originals, Total Recall remake beats out Arnold's original by leaps and bounds, I prefer the newer Conan remake over Arnold's campy original. I didn't mind the new Be Hur but there are aspects of the original I liked better.

Ugh. The new Total Recall I never finished, it was too boring. The new Conan was prettier than the original, but much less original. The original Total Recall and Conan were both cheesy, but they didn't seem like cookie-cutter versions of other movies from their respective genres. ;) I haven't seen either version of Ben Hur.
Some movies are better when campy and cheesy in their original forms. That's part of their charm.

That movie is actually pretty well reviewed. 7.1/10 on IMDB, 90% tomato rating on rotten tomatoes with 72% of audience members liking it. However, it is supposed to be an odd mix of genres, combining western, horror, and action/adventure, so I guess it's something of a niche film. I haven't seen it myself, but I've had it on my list of 'give it a try at some point' movies. :p
A lot of people supposedly liked The Hateful Eight, thought it was the most idiotically made/directed movie I've ever seen, it stunk. Maybe the younger generation likes that sort of movie. :dunno:

Do you like Tarantino's other movies? I don't think it was his best work, but it was enjoyable enough.

From first to last, Tarantino's (main) movies are : Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill (Vol 1 & 2), Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight. While I enjoyed all of them, I think that Kill Bill Vol 1, Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction are all very good movies, while the rest aren't up to that level.

Tarantino has a fairly distinctive style. He borrows a lot from exploitation style films of the 60s and 70s, he uses over-the-top dialog and violence, and he likes to have Samuel L Jackson in his films being vulgar. :lol:
Out of all of those Reservoir Dogs wasn't too bad the rest I thought were just stupid, not my brand of cult film. I did check and the only others he did that I liked were Natural born Killers (loosely based on Caril Fugate and Charles Starkweather) and Sin City.
I did like "Sin City". That's my kind of comic...and Frodo was a mass murderer.

Most earlier WWII movies are heavily Hollywooded and barely resemble the actual events, some are just plain patriotic, dramatic, comedic, human interest angle, love story or antiwar fiction, doesn't mean they are all bad it's just Hollywood always thought fantasy adaptation was more interesting than reality. I've found it's typically just the opposite but Hollywood never asked me......... :D

Offhand, the best WWII movie I can think of is Saving Private Ryan. I can't think of another I thought was even close. I never saw Schindler's List, though, and that was supposed to be very good.
I like both. "Schindler's List" is a tear-jerker, though. I liked it.

Schindler's list was very good. I also enjoy many of the war movies... Saving private Ryan is one, full metal jacket, etc.
Some of the best one liners came out of that one, lol.

I will watch anything except chick flicks or movies about animals because the animal always dies. Tear jerker a. Blech. I also don't like slasher flicks. Scarey, yes, but not stupid scarey like Freddy and jason etc. I prefer historical, action, drama...Without the chicks.

"The Thin Red Line" was another good, modern WWII movie.

Good morning all. A chilly 20f at our house this morning and it will stay cold today with highs only in the low to mid 30s. It is just a reminder that it is still mid winter and cold weather is normal for winter on the high desert. But the sun is shining and all is good. We have our weekly 42 game this afternoon and will take my 90-yr-old aunt pizza and have dinner with her this evening.
HaHaHa!!! A chilly 40+ here. Of course, everything is melting and the roads are made of ice. No sun to speak of, but lots of chinook winds. Can you believe this, Alaska is warmer than you are, and windier, too!

I usually do. If it is Spielburg for instance I know it is going to have all the qualities that make a movie special to me except for "War Horse" where he absolutely blew it. And I generally trust Clint Eastwood to get it right, but he really blew it with "Sully" in my opinion. I was really disappointed.
You didn't like "War Horse"? Are we thinking of the same movie? I really liked "War Horse", reminded me of "Black Beauty" in many ways.

No. I didn't like it at all. Even setting aside the suffering of the horse--like Gracie I don't enjoy that kind of thing at all--I thought the character development weak and the story line confusing. But maybe that's just me. I wouldn't watch the movie a second time if somebody paid me to. Well, maybe if they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. . .

Good morning all. A chilly 20f at our house this morning and it will stay cold today with highs only in the low to mid 30s. It is just a reminder that it is still mid winter and cold weather is normal for winter on the high desert. But the sun is shining and all is good. We have our weekly 42 game this afternoon and will take my 90-yr-old aunt pizza and have dinner with her this evening.
HaHaHa!!! A chilly 40+ here. Of course, everything is melting and the roads are made of ice. No sun to speak of, but lots of chinook winds. Can you believe this, Alaska is warmer than you are, and windier, too!

Sometimes it is strange that way-- like when we are warmer than Florida, etc. Got up to 35 today but now below 30 and the thermometer is sinking fast. We'll be in the mid teens overnight.

There are two Aussie films that are very good to great, one is The Lighthorsemen set in what is now southern Israel during WWI. The Lighthorsemen were mounted infantry which charged the Turkish lines at Beersheba, a 5 mile charge which broke the Turkish lines and took the town with its all important wells.
The movie events pretty much follow the actual events and the charge shown in the movie was actually recreated, not digital. Amazingly no horses were injured during the filming.

The other is Kokoda about the Aussies during the Kokoda Track campaign in Paupa during WWII. This one spares nothing in the showing of what these men endured fighting the Japanese in the jungle. This is a brutally honest movie.

One other I almost forgot about is Days of Glory, Indigènes (Natives) is the mildly offensive French title.
It's about the Third Algerian Infantry Division, Muslim men who saw France as their "homeland" and willingly signed up to fight with the Free French. The characters are fictional but the story is mostly accurate especially in the treatment of the Algerians by the French and their heroism despite that treatment.
In the Italian campaign they were used as cannon fodder......... They eventually helped liberate Marseilles.

Forum List

Back