USMB Coffee Shop IV

Bone Tomohawk is claimed to be a cult classic....Or will be. The ones saying this are insane. T really, REALLY bad. From the words they use in conversation, to the stupid name of the so called native American name of trogladites, from the neverending dragging of scenes that serve no purpose, to wrong limbs being bandaged, etc. Whomever gave rave reviews must have been paid very well.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

About movies:
I watched Bone Tomohawk last night.

Worst Movie Ever.

Kurt Russell must have really needed the money to star in that horribly written mess.

That movie is actually pretty well reviewed. 7.1/10 on IMDB, 90% tomato rating on rotten tomatoes with 72% of audience members liking it. However, it is supposed to be an odd mix of genres, combining western, horror, and action/adventure, so I guess it's something of a niche film. I haven't seen it myself, but I've had it on my list of 'give it a try at some point' movies. :p
A lot of people supposedly liked The Hateful Eight, thought it was the most idiotically made/directed movie I've ever seen, it stunk. Maybe the younger generation likes that sort of movie. :dunno:

Do you like Tarantino's other movies? I don't think it was his best work, but it was enjoyable enough.
I never pay attention to who directs movies so I have no idea. :dunno:

From first to last, Tarantino's (main) movies are : Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill (Vol 1 & 2), Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight. While I enjoyed all of them, I think that Kill Bill Vol 1, Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction are all very good movies, while the rest aren't up to that level.

Tarantino has a fairly distinctive style. He borrows a lot from exploitation style films of the 60s and 70s, he uses over-the-top dialog and violence, and he likes to have Samuel L Jackson in his films being vulgar. :lol:

Bone Tomohawk is claimed to be a cult classic....Or will be. The ones saying this are insane. T really, REALLY bad. From the words they use in conversation, to the stupid name of the so called native American name of trogladites, from the neverending dragging of scenes that serve no purpose, to wrong limbs being bandaged, etc. Whomever gave rave reviews must have been paid very well.

It might end up a cult classic, but I think the movie is too new for that status. There are almost 12,000 audience ratings on rotten tomatoes for it and almost 43,000 ratings on IMDB. That's enough to make me think there is a niche of viewers who honestly think it is a good movie. :dunno:

See for yourself, lol.

Remember that dumb movie Travolta was in as some alien warrior and took forever to live down? Russell is going to have the same trouble with this one, it is so awful.

I loathe Tarantino, but he makes good movies.

About movies:
I watched Bone Tomohawk last night.

Worst Movie Ever.

Kurt Russell must have really needed the money to star in that horribly written mess.

That movie is actually pretty well reviewed. 7.1/10 on IMDB, 90% tomato rating on rotten tomatoes with 72% of audience members liking it. However, it is supposed to be an odd mix of genres, combining western, horror, and action/adventure, so I guess it's something of a niche film. I haven't seen it myself, but I've had it on my list of 'give it a try at some point' movies. :p
A lot of people supposedly liked The Hateful Eight, thought it was the most idiotically made/directed movie I've ever seen, it stunk. Maybe the younger generation likes that sort of movie. :dunno:

Do you like Tarantino's other movies? I don't think it was his best work, but it was enjoyable enough.

From first to last, Tarantino's (main) movies are : Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill (Vol 1 & 2), Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight. While I enjoyed all of them, I think that Kill Bill Vol 1, Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction are all very good movies, while the rest aren't up to that level.

Tarantino has a fairly distinctive style. He borrows a lot from exploitation style films of the 60s and 70s, he uses over-the-top dialog and violence, and he likes to have Samuel L Jackson in his films being vulgar. :lol:
Out of all of those Reservoir Dogs wasn't too bad the rest I thought were just stupid, not my brand of cult film. I did check and the only others he did that I liked were Natural born Killers (loosely based on Caril Fugate and Charles Starkweather) and Sin City.

Out of all of those Reservoir Dogs wasn't too bad the rest I thought were just stupid, not my brand of cult film. I did check and the only others he did that I liked were Natural born Killers (loosely based on Caril Fugate and Charles Starkweather) and Sin City.

I didn't like Natural Born Killers much. That wasn't really a Tarantino movie; he wrote the original screenplay but apparently Oliver Stone and a couple of others did a lot of editing of the script. Sin City was a good movie, but also not really a Tarantino movie. He was only involved with one scene.

Now is good snowy day, when the sleeping in warm place - a best idea for all. Yesterday I was watching some movies, trailers, reading reviews and now want to make "an impudent advertising" - to share my opinion about some Russian movies :)

First, I re-watch "28 Panfilov's men" at my home TV and strongly recommend to see it, if it would be in US distribution, or you don't afraid an subtitles... It's a film, crowd-funded by Russian people and it's reconstruction of awesome quality, at level of best world reconstruction movies. It's about WWII from Russian side. I've seen "Fury" (excellent film), and "Unser mütter unsere väter" (very interesting, except some rude mistakes ;)), but "28 Panfilov's men" also made at level of "every rivet is right" style...

Second, I do not recommend to perceive seriously new Russian blockbuster "Viking'. It's a large project of our "1st channel" (big media company), with large finances, with good actors and stuntmen, promoted everywhere... I know it would be in US distribution too.. But all declarations about "it close to history" and so on are full nonsense. Nothing similar to real history. Story is far from historic chronicles, costumes are without any critic, logic of characters is misunderstandable and as "historic movies" it's just another brilliant of anti-Russian propaganda... So, as fantasy movie - it's really nice.

And third, I'm waiting new film of Bondarchuk "Attraction" (see trailer) - it's seems very interesting. Fedor Bondarchuk is a master of battle fantasy movies. His "Inhabited Island" was excellent. His "9th company" and "Stalingrad" are very awful as historic films, but as fantasy - also very good. Awaiting release with impatience...

What movies could you recommend for me now? Do you like a films about WWII, and which films do you like?
As for me, I'm dreaming now about this evening, warm tea and another new movie at my TV... or in cinema at holidays - I like it too... ;)

I do enjoy well done WWII movies that keep the history pretty accurate. Some of my favorites are "The Longest Day", "Patton", "The Great Escape", "The Bridge on the River Kwai", "The Dirty Dozen", "Where Eagles Dare". The only one of these featuring the Russians is "Patton" who didn't like the Russians back then, but there was a rather endearing scene where he and the Russian general toasted each other.

It would be interesting to me to watch a WWII movie from the Russian perspective. I've seen those from the German, Japanese, French, and English perspectives but I don't think ever from the Russian point of view.

Oh, we have a lot of movies about WWII, from different generations of directors. As I see, you love an "old school" movies, not in style of "Pearl Harbor" or "Saving Private Ryan". I've got trailers of movie, you told - very interesting. By the way, I've watch the "Down Pericope", you recommended, cheerful film. It remember me Russian "In attention zone", but I don't know, is it on English, or with English subtitles anywhere...

Hmm, have you seen this movie (by the real memories of pilots about war. colored version):

I'll try to make a catalogue of WWII movies, I prefer, step by step, as I remember them :)

You liked "Down Periscope?" It is one of my favorite comedies. And yes, I do prefer those that have a little more sympathetic characters and aren't so much of a downer. "Where Eagles Dare" isn't an upbeat film by any means, so I can't explain why I like it, but I do. "Pearl Harbor" was okay for what it is, but I thought it lacked a certain kind of heart that separates the just okay films from the special ones.

And yes, with just a few exceptions, I do prefer the older movies with stronger story lines, strong characters, and that draw me in and make me part of the experience. These days gratuitous sex, violence, and special effects have taken the place of most of that. So me being of my generation just don't relate as well as the younger folks do.

Oh, I almost forgot to add "Memphis Belle" as one of Hombre and my favorites of WWII movies. It usually winds up on the 'worst WWII films' lists but we love it.

I didn't like Natural Born Killers much. That wasn't really a Tarantino movie; he wrote the original screenplay but apparently Oliver Stone and a couple of others did a lot of editing of the script. Sin City was a good movie, but also not really a Tarantino movie. He was only involved with one scene.
No wonder I liked em....... :D

Most earlier WWII movies are heavily Hollywooded and barely resemble the actual events, some are just plain patriotic, dramatic, comedic, human interest angle, love story or antiwar fiction, doesn't mean they are all bad it's just Hollywood always thought fantasy adaptation was more interesting than reality. I've found it's typically just the opposite but Hollywood never asked me......... :D

Oh, I almost forgot to add "Memphis Belle" as one of Hombre and my favorites of WWII movies. It usually winds up on the 'worst WWII films' lists but we love it.

It's been years since I saw it, but I remember Memphis Belle as being a pretty good movie. Pearl Harbor, on the other hand, I thought deserved to be as critically panned as it was.

Most earlier WWII movies are heavily Hollywooded and barely resemble the actual events, some are just plain patriotic, dramatic, comedic, human interest angle, love story or antiwar fiction, doesn't mean they are all bad it's just Hollywood always thought fantasy adaptation was more interesting than reality. I've found it's typically just the opposite but Hollywood never asked me......... :D

Offhand, the best WWII movie I can think of is Saving Private Ryan. I can't think of another I thought was even close. I never saw Schindler's List, though, and that was supposed to be very good.

Offhand, the best WWII movie I can think of is Saving Private Ryan. I can't think of another I thought was even close. I never saw Schindler's List, though, and that was supposed to be very good.
Band of Brothers and the Pacific series were very close, Empire of the Sun is very close in some aspects fairly close in others, fantasy in a couple of character areas. Stalingrad was very good in some ways, not so much in others, Downfall, Das Boot and Letters from Iwo Jima are awesomely close. There are others but that'll do for now.

Band of Brothers and the Pacific series were very close, Empire of the Sun is very close in some aspects fairly close in others, fantasy in a couple of character areas. Stalingrad was very good in some ways, not so much in others, Downfall, Das Boot and Letters from Iwo Jima are awesomely close. There are others but that'll do for now.

I've never seen any of those. I was going to watch The Pacific and Band of Brothers, but somehow never did.

I've never seen any of those. I was going to watch The Pacific and Band of Brothers, but somehow never did.
The Band of Brothers was done first, I met some of the actual Easy Company men while reenacting at the Reading Air show. Also met some Tuskegee men, a couple survivors of the Malmedy Massacre, a couple of Luftwaffe aces and many others, Pearl Harbor survivors, etc.
The Pacific is brutal to watch more so than and of Brothers but that part of the war was brutal, no quarter, no prisoners was the norm rather than the exception.

Schindler's list was very good. I also enjoy many of the war movies... Saving private Ryan is one, full metal jacket, etc.
Some of the best one liners came out of that one, lol.

I will watch anything except chick flicks or movies about animals because the animal always dies. Tear jerker a. Blech. I also don't like slasher flicks. Scarey, yes, but not stupid scarey like Freddy and jason etc. I prefer historical, action, drama...Without the chicks.

The Band of Brothers was done first, I met some of the actual Easy Company men while reenacting at the Reading Air show. Also met some Tuskegee men, a couple survivors of the Malmedy Massacre, a couple of Luftwaffe aces and many others, Pearl Harbor survivors, etc.
The Pacific is brutal to watch more so than and of Brothers but that part of the war was brutal, no quarter, no prisoners was the norm rather than the exception.
I distinctly remember when I met Spears, always dead serious, military from head to toe. I was in my German General's getup, Spears took a hard look at me, turned to a couple of GI reenactors with him and said; "Is he a real German or a reenactor, you know how I feel about Germans." After we assured him that I was a reenactor simply playing a part he shook my hand so hard I thought he was going to crush it..........

Kat, I am very sorry to hear of your Mom's passing...I hope that all your beautiful memories will help to bring peace and comfort to your mind and heart.:smiliehug:

Forum List

Back