USMB Coffee Shop IV

About movies:
I watched Bone Tomohawk last night.

Worst Movie Ever.

Kurt Russell must have really needed the money to star in that horribly written mess.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Thanks for the warning. I generally like Kurt Russell films--we watched one "Overboard" just last night--but I guess everybody has a blooper now and then.

That's one thing I like about the demand feature on our cable. I can start watching a movie and if it is unsatisfactory in the first 20 minutes, we just back out and choose another.

Now is good snowy day, when the sleeping in warm place - a best idea for all. Yesterday I was watching some movies, trailers, reading reviews and now want to make "an impudent advertising" - to share my opinion about some Russian movies :)

First, I re-watch "28 Panfilov's men" at my home TV and strongly recommend to see it, if it would be in US distribution, or you don't afraid an subtitles... It's a film, crowd-funded by Russian people and it's reconstruction of awesome quality, at level of best world reconstruction movies. It's about WWII from Russian side. I've seen "Fury" (excellent film), and "Unser mütter unsere väter" (very interesting, except some rude mistakes ;)), but "28 Panfilov's men" also made at level of "every rivet is right" style...

Second, I do not recommend to perceive seriously new Russian blockbuster "Viking'. It's a large project of our "1st channel" (big media company), with large finances, with good actors and stuntmen, promoted everywhere... I know it would be in US distribution too.. But all declarations about "it close to history" and so on are full nonsense. Nothing similar to real history. Story is far from historic chronicles, costumes are without any critic, logic of characters is misunderstandable and as "historic movies" it's just another brilliant of anti-Russian propaganda... So, as fantasy movie - it's really nice.

And third, I'm waiting new film of Bondarchuk "Attraction" (see trailer) - it's seems very interesting. Fedor Bondarchuk is a master of battle fantasy movies. His "Inhabited Island" was excellent. His "9th company" and "Stalingrad" are very awful as historic films, but as fantasy - also very good. Awaiting release with impatience...

What movies could you recommend for me now? Do you like a films about WWII, and which films do you like?
As for me, I'm dreaming now about this evening, warm tea and another new movie at my TV... or in cinema at holidays - I like it too... ;)

I do enjoy well done WWII movies that keep the history pretty accurate. Some of my favorites are "The Longest Day", "Patton", "The Great Escape", "The Bridge on the River Kwai", "The Dirty Dozen", "Where Eagles Dare". The only one of these featuring the Russians is "Patton" who didn't like the Russians back then, but there was a rather endearing scene where he and the Russian general toasted each other.

It would be interesting to me to watch a WWII movie from the Russian perspective. I've seen those from the German, Japanese, French, and English perspectives but I don't think ever from the Russian point of view.

Last edited:
Weather prognostication for our area: mid-20s (about -4C), cloudy with a 90% probability of precipitation, and high wind alerts. Crap! That means blowing snow at work tonight. With windy conditions, even the warmer temps are useless because wind chill rules.
I'll definitely have to start keeping a list of recommended movies, especially the Russian ones. My Russian is very disused right now and I could use the listening practice.

About movies:

Worst Movie Ever.

Kurt Russell must have really needed the money to star in that horribly written mess.

That movie is actually pretty well reviewed. 7.1/10 on IMDB, 90% tomato rating on rotten tomatoes with 72% of audience members liking it. However, it is supposed to be an odd mix of genres, combining western, horror, and action/adventure, so I guess it's something of a niche film. I haven't seen it myself, but I've had it on my list of 'give it a try at some point' movies. :p

Now is good snowy day, when the sleeping in warm place - a best idea for all. Yesterday I was watching some movies, trailers, reading reviews and now want to make "an impudent advertising" - to share my opinion about some Russian movies :)

First, I re-watch "28 Panfilov's men" at my home TV and strongly recommend to see it, if it would be in US distribution, or you don't afraid an subtitles... It's a film, crowd-funded by Russian people and it's reconstruction of awesome quality, at level of best world reconstruction movies. It's about WWII from Russian side. I've seen "Fury" (excellent film), and "Unser mütter unsere väter" (very interesting, except some rude mistakes ;)), but "28 Panfilov's men" also made at level of "every rivet is right" style...

Second, I do not recommend to perceive seriously new Russian blockbuster "Viking'. It's a large project of our "1st channel" (big media company), with large finances, with good actors and stuntmen, promoted everywhere... I know it would be in US distribution too.. But all declarations about "it close to history" and so on are full nonsense. Nothing similar to real history. Story is far from historic chronicles, costumes are without any critic, logic of characters is misunderstandable and as "historic movies" it's just another brilliant of anti-Russian propaganda... So, as fantasy movie - it's really nice.

And third, I'm waiting new film of Bondarchuk "Attraction" (see trailer) - it's seems very interesting. Fedor Bondarchuk is a master of battle fantasy movies. His "Inhabited Island" was excellent. His "9th company" and "Stalingrad" are very awful as historic films, but as fantasy - also very good. Awaiting release with impatience...

What movies could you recommend for me now? Do you like a films about WWII, and which films do you like?
As for me, I'm dreaming now about this evening, warm tea and another new movie at my TV... or in cinema at holidays - I like it too... ;)

I do enjoy well done WWII movies that keep the history pretty accurate. Some of my favorites are "The Longest Day", "Patton", "The Great Escape", "The Bridge on the River Kwai", "The Dirty Dozen", "Where Eagles Dare". The only one of these featuring the Russians is "Patton" who didn't like the Russians back then, but there was a rather endearing scene where he and the Russian general toasted each other.

It would be interesting to me to watch a WWII movie from the Russian perspective. I've seen those from the German, Japanese, French, and English perspectives but I don't think ever from the Russian point of view.

My favorite so far is The Brest Fortress.

About movies:

Worst Movie Ever.

That movie is actually pretty well reviewed. 7.1/10 on IMDB, 90% tomato rating on rotten tomatoes with 72% of audience members liking it. However, it is supposed to be an odd mix of genres, combining western, horror, and action/adventure, so I guess it's something of a niche film. I haven't seen it myself, but I've had it on my list of 'give it a try at some point' movies. :p
A lot of people supposedly liked The Hateful Eight, thought it was the most idiotically made/directed movie I've ever seen, it stunk. Maybe the younger generation likes that sort of movie. :dunno:

About movies:

Worst Movie Ever.

A lot of people supposedly liked The Hateful Eight, thought it was the most idiotically made/directed movie I've ever seen, it stunk. Maybe the younger generation likes that sort of movie. :dunno:

Do you like Tarantino's other movies? I don't think it was his best work, but it was enjoyable enough.

About movies:

Worst Movie Ever.

Do you like Tarantino's other movies? I don't think it was his best work, but it was enjoyable enough.
I never pay attention to who directs movies so I have no idea. :dunno:

About movies:

Worst Movie Ever.

I never pay attention to who directs movies so I have no idea. :dunno:

I usually do. If it is Spielburg for instance I know it is going to have all the qualities that make a movie special to me except for "War Horse" where he absolutely blew it. And I generally trust Clint Eastwood to get it right, but he really blew it with "Sully" in my opinion. I was really disappointed.

Talking of bad movies, I just watched the remake of Ben Hur, and it was not a patch on the original.
A lot of people go to see remakes expecting to watch the same thing over again just with different actors. Personally I've found many (not all) modern remakes are better than the originals, Total Recall remake beats out Arnold's original by leaps and bounds, I prefer the newer Conan remake over Arnold's campy original. I didn't mind the new Be Hur but there are aspects of the original I liked better.

Oh, we have a lot of movies about WWII, from different generations of directors. As I see, you love an "old school" movies, not in style of "Pearl Harbor" or "Saving Private Ryan". I've got trailers of movie, you told - very interesting. By the way, I've watch the "Down Pericope", you recommended, cheerful film. It remember me Russian "In attention zone", but I don't know, is it on English, or with English subtitles anywhere...

Hmm, have you seen this movie (by the real memories of pilots about war. colored version):

I'll try to make a catalogue of WWII movies, I prefer, step by step, as I remember them :)

Weather prognostication for our area: mid-20s (about -4C), cloudy with a 90% probability of precipitation, and high wind alerts. Crap! That means blowing snow at work tonight. With windy conditions, even the warmer temps are useless because wind chill rules.
I'll definitely have to start keeping a list of recommended movies, especially the Russian ones. My Russian is very disused right now and I could use the listening practice.

Here is the same temperature, but more dry - we're not close to ocean :)

My favorite so far is The Brest Fortress.

Good movie, I remember it ;) Have you seen "In an August of 44", I cannot find version with english subtitles right now... An awesome film about specific of Russian intelligence during WWII :)

Mr.P's 2nd nurse came this morning.
We like her too! Really nice woman.
Then I had to take hubby into the Benson Hospital in the early afternoon to get his blood drawn for his blood thiner reading.
He used to do it every Wednesday with a machine here at home, but they have him on much more thinner meds, they aren't taking any chances of him getting any blood clots right now.

Oh, we have a lot of movies about WWII, from different generations of directors. As I see, you love an "old school" movies, not in style of "Pearl Harbor" or "Saving Private Ryan". I've got trailers of movie, you told - very interesting. By the way, I've watch the "Down Pericope", you recommended, cheerful film. It remember me Russian "In attention zone", but I don't know, is it on English, or with English subtitles anywhere...

Hmm, have you seen this movie (by the real memories of pilots about war. colored version):

I'll try to make a catalogue of WWII movies, I prefer, step by step, as I remember them :)

From what I've read, in Russia and the former Soviet satellite states it's mostly called the Great Patriotic War.

Talking of bad movies, I just watched the remake of Ben Hur, and it was not a patch on the original.
A lot of people go to see remakes expecting to watch the same thing over again just with different actors. Personally I've found many (not all) modern remakes are better than the originals, Total Recall remake beats out Arnold's original by leaps and bounds, I prefer the newer Conan remake over Arnold's campy original. I didn't mind the new Be Hur but there are aspects of the original I liked better.

Ugh. The new Total Recall I never finished, it was too boring. The new Conan was prettier than the original, but much less original. The original Total Recall and Conan were both cheesy, but they didn't seem like cookie-cutter versions of other movies from their respective genres. ;) I haven't seen either version of Ben Hur.

Forum List

Back