USMB Coffee Shop IV

A thought came to me tonight while I was taking my shower. I remember it coming to me just after I had soaped up my right arm but before I had rinsed it off. A simple idea but a really good one. I shall share it with you for your opinion. Everybody knows that bologna comes round because that is the way they make it. It comes in a long round tube and you slice off what you want or if you buy it in the store already sliced it's still round. Well, seems to me that it would be better to make it square. The round slices don't fit on your bread real well when you make a sandwich. There are places on your sandwich that don't have any bologna on it like around the corners of the bread. If bologna was made in a square shape it would fit your bread perfectly and there would be no corners of your bread that didn't have bologna on it. Also the cheese you could put on your sandwich would fit perfectly too. Who's in charge of bologna? I mean if I wrote somebody a letter to discuss this issue, who would I send it to? Is there something like a Bologna Advisory Board or something? I think this is a great idea. What say you?

Deep-Thoughts-Hulu.jpg

About movies:
I watched Bone Tomohawk last night.

Worst Movie Ever.

Kurt Russell must have really needed the money to star in that horribly written mess.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

That movie is actually pretty well reviewed. 7.1/10 on IMDB, 90% tomato rating on rotten tomatoes with 72% of audience members liking it. However, it is supposed to be an odd mix of genres, combining western, horror, and action/adventure, so I guess it's something of a niche film. I haven't seen it myself, but I've had it on my list of 'give it a try at some point' movies. :p
A lot of people supposedly liked The Hateful Eight, thought it was the most idiotically made/directed movie I've ever seen, it stunk. Maybe the younger generation likes that sort of movie. :dunno:

Do you like Tarantino's other movies? I don't think it was his best work, but it was enjoyable enough.
I never pay attention to who directs movies so I have no idea. :dunno:

From first to last, Tarantino's (main) movies are : Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill (Vol 1 & 2), Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight. While I enjoyed all of them, I think that Kill Bill Vol 1, Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction are all very good movies, while the rest aren't up to that level.

Tarantino has a fairly distinctive style. He borrows a lot from exploitation style films of the 60s and 70s, he uses over-the-top dialog and violence, and he likes to have Samuel L Jackson in his films being vulgar. :lol:

What about "From dusk till dawn"? :) Another awesome movie from Tarantino

Oh, I almost forgot to add "Memphis Belle" as one of Hombre and my favorites of WWII movies. It usually winds up on the 'worst WWII films' lists but we love it.

Hmmm... It seems, I'll find this film at torrents this night to watch it on holidays :)

As for Russian WWII films - many of them are seriously distort past for ideology or because of wrong stereotypes :) Maybe, I'm mistaking "how it was" too, but I try to find real picture.

Another good movie, I remember - "The dawns here are quiet" - by a famous book of Boris Vasiliev. It has many screen versions, last years Chinese made series by this book, and also we got a new screen version last years, but for me it seems not so good, as old. Technically, new version much better (old is filmed partially as colored and b&w, I don't understand, for what), but the central hero is wrong played. As original it could be "not so litereted, but experienced sergeant-redneck" - it awesome represented in old movie and not believeable - in modern...
So, here and old version:

Most earlier WWII movies are heavily Hollywooded and barely resemble the actual events, some are just plain patriotic, dramatic, comedic, human interest angle, love story or antiwar fiction, doesn't mean they are all bad it's just Hollywood always thought fantasy adaptation was more interesting than reality. I've found it's typically just the opposite but Hollywood never asked me......... :D

Offhand, the best WWII movie I can think of is Saving Private Ryan. I can't think of another I thought was even close. I never saw Schindler's List, though, and that was supposed to be very good.

Oh yes, "Schindler's List". Nothing much joyful about it, but exquisitely done and historically accurate. I can't say it is a favorite. But I would certainly rate it very high in the most well done movies of all time.

"Saving Private Ryan" was indeed well done. But having seen it once, I did not care to see it again. So, it didn't make my list of favorites.

"The Caine Mutiny" probably does belong on my list of favorites since it is a movie I cannot not watch if I run across it.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Saveliberty for wellness,
Ringel's Gizmo and Boo and wellness for Ringel,
Ernie for wellness,
Sbiker for wellness,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days.
Grace for wellness and Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition who need a break big time right now.
Comfort for Kat and her family in the passing of her mom.

All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, and all others who need to find their way back.

Luray Caverns, West Virginia
Titanias-Veil.jpg

Good morning all. A chilly 20f at our house this morning and it will stay cold today with highs only in the low to mid 30s. It is just a reminder that it is still mid winter and cold weather is normal for winter on the high desert. But the sun is shining and all is good. We have our weekly 42 game this afternoon and will take my 90-yr-old aunt pizza and have dinner with her this evening.

That movie is actually pretty well reviewed. 7.1/10 on IMDB, 90% tomato rating on rotten tomatoes with 72% of audience members liking it. However, it is supposed to be an odd mix of genres, combining western, horror, and action/adventure, so I guess it's something of a niche film. I haven't seen it myself, but I've had it on my list of 'give it a try at some point' movies. :p
A lot of people supposedly liked The Hateful Eight, thought it was the most idiotically made/directed movie I've ever seen, it stunk. Maybe the younger generation likes that sort of movie. :dunno:

Do you like Tarantino's other movies? I don't think it was his best work, but it was enjoyable enough.
I never pay attention to who directs movies so I have no idea. :dunno:

From first to last, Tarantino's (main) movies are : Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill (Vol 1 & 2), Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight. While I enjoyed all of them, I think that Kill Bill Vol 1, Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction are all very good movies, while the rest aren't up to that level.

Tarantino has a fairly distinctive style. He borrows a lot from exploitation style films of the 60s and 70s, he uses over-the-top dialog and violence, and he likes to have Samuel L Jackson in his films being vulgar. :lol:

What about "From dusk till dawn"? :) Another awesome movie from Tarantino

I went back and watched that again when the TV series was getting ready to come out, and I realized I don't like the movie much. :p

It was Rodriguez that directed that.

Most earlier WWII movies are heavily Hollywooded and barely resemble the actual events, some are just plain patriotic, dramatic, comedic, human interest angle, love story or antiwar fiction, doesn't mean they are all bad it's just Hollywood always thought fantasy adaptation was more interesting than reality. I've found it's typically just the opposite but Hollywood never asked me......... :D

Offhand, the best WWII movie I can think of is Saving Private Ryan. I can't think of another I thought was even close. I never saw Schindler's List, though, and that was supposed to be very good.
Band of Brothers and the Pacific series were very close, Empire of the Sun is very close in some aspects fairly close in others, fantasy in a couple of character areas. Stalingrad was very good in some ways, not so much in others, Downfall, Das Boot and Letters from Iwo Jima are awesomely close. There are others but that'll do for now.
I've never seen any of these movies. I don't like war movies too much :)
I just remember one war movie I've seen few years ago with my father :biggrin:
The Great Escape with Steve McQueen!
Great movie for sure! :bowdown:

Band of Brothers and the Pacific series were very close, Empire of the Sun is very close in some aspects fairly close in others, fantasy in a couple of character areas. Stalingrad was very good in some ways, not so much in others, Downfall, Das Boot and Letters from Iwo Jima are awesomely close. There are others but that'll do for now.
I've never seen any of these movies. I don't like war movies too much :)
I just remember one war movie I've seen few years ago with my father :biggrin:
The Great Escape with Steve McQueen!
Great movie for sure! :bowdown:

Yes it was a good movie though it had a sad ending. I prefer movies that make me feel like I am part of it and have endings that leave me satisfied and happy. I don't like the newer war movies because there is too much graphic violence and too many sad endings.

And there are a few great movies that don't have happy endings that I still enjoy just because of the great story line, great acting, and beautiful cinematography. Movies like "Gone With the Wind" and "Out of Africa" come to mind.

I prefer movies that make me feel like I am part of it

That's one of the attractions of computer games. They are like films that you participate in. I like first person shooters that show you the barrel of a gun in front of you. I quite enjoy sniping, where you get to look through a telescopic sight, and take out the enemies before they see you. But you probably would not like the violence.

Forum List

Back