USMB Coffee Shop IV

I've seen Gone With the Wind! Beautiful movie! :)
Rossella O'Hara was splendid :bow2:

Was it the original? Vivian Leigh played Scarlett O'Hara. :) I love the dresses! Imagine getting all dressed up like that?

Leigh,%20Vivien%20(Gone%20With%20the%20Wind)_01.jpg
Hi ChrisL :bye1:
I thought it was the original one but in the movie I saw they called her Rossella and not Scarlett! Really strange! :)
I wish I could dress like that just once in my life! The dress is as beautiful as she is! :bow3::bowdown:

Ha-ha, it's really interesting ;)

Rossella O'Hara - Wikipedia

I didn't thought, Scarlett could be named anyhow else in different translations... Sometimes translators thinking up very interesting variants :)))

Did they really call her "Rossella O'Hara" in the version you saw? Originally, her name I "Scarlet" (bright red).
Strange! In the version I've seen they called her Rossella! :dunno:
Maybe the movie I saw wasn't the original version (but I did download the movie from Emule and the title says "original version" :eusa_think:)
I've never seen the movie in English, but in French with German subtitles. The books explain her name "Angelique".

Do you know, how many variants of "Bilbo Baggins", translated in Russian. THREE! :)

Mrg said no more. Moki was his dog..His best buddy. He said he can't do it anymore, plus pets cost too much now and we don't have the money we used to have to make sure they stay healthy. And he is right. We are too old now, and we can no longer watch our fur children die of old age because we don't know how long WE have and it would be awful to not be able to take care of an animal we love and it winds up at the pound if both of us get sick...Or die.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Was it the original? Vivian Leigh played Scarlett O'Hara. :) I love the dresses! Imagine getting all dressed up like that?

I thought it was the original one but in the movie I saw they called her Rossella and not Scarlett! Really strange! :)
I wish I could dress like that just once in my life! The dress is as beautiful as she is! :bow3::bowdown:

I didn't thought, Scarlett could be named anyhow else in different translations... Sometimes translators thinking up very interesting variants :)))

I've never heard of her referred to as "Rossella" before Esther mentioned it. I wonder where they came up with Rossella? Is that how the name Scarlet is translated in Italian?

So in Italian they used the name Rossella for Scarlett? Really strange because I've seen the movie in English :eek::eek:
Why did they do that? :dunno:

Difficult to say. I know using my rather primitive LogoTrans software to do simple translations, I have no idea how translating from English to some other language actually appears to those who actually speak that other language.

For instance, If I put that first paragraph from the Italian language discussion of Scarlett O'hara or as it appears in Wiki:

Katie Scarlett O'Hara (Rossella O'Hara nella versione italiana) è un personaggio immaginario, protagonista femminile dell'unico romanzo di Margaret Mitchell Via col vento (1936, vincitore del Premio Pulitzer l'anno dopo) e di varie pellicole cinematografiche e televisive, in modo particolare l'omonimo film del 1939 di Victor Fleming, celeberrimo e vincitore di 10 Oscar.​

The translation in English is:
Katie Scarlett O'Hara (Rossella O'Hara in the Italian version) it is an imaginary character, female protagonist of the only novel of Margaret Mitchell Street with the wind (1936, winning of the Pulitzer Prize the year later) and of various cinema and television films, in particular way the homonym film of the 1939 of Victor Fleming, very famous and winning of 10 Oscars.​

So I can get the gist of what the paragraph in Italian is, but it comes out in English a bit strange. I can only imagine how strange my English paragraph would appear to an Italian in the translation. :)

My German friends that I have attempted to converse with in their language are often amused. :)

Mrg said no more. Moki was his dog..His best buddy. He said he can't do it anymore, plus pets cost too much now and we don't have the money we used to have to make sure they stay healthy. And he is right. We are too old now, and we can no longer watch our fur children die of old age because we don't know how long WE have and it would be awful to not be able to take care of an animal we love and it winds up at the pound if both of us get sick...Or die.

We are

I've never heard of her referred to as "Rossella" before Esther mentioned it. I wonder where they came up with Rossella? Is that how the name Scarlet is translated in Italian?

Apparently so - see my Post #42868. When I use the Logotrans software to translate "Scarlet" from French to English, I get "Scarlet" in both languages. Ditto "Rosella". And in Italian, when I put "Scarlet" in the program it comes out "Scarlet" in English.

But when I put "Rosella" in the Italian to translate to English, it translates "Rosella" in Italian to "Gnawed her/it" in English????

Language can be so confusing sometimes. :)

To each his or her own. No more for us.

I made the same decision after my last one died.

We did too after we had to put down our last little dog. I am always the one who has to have it done though--Hombre just can't. And we did love that dog so much--it was especially terrible for Hombre. But we are blessed with lots of grand dogs, my aunt's little dog, and friend Dana's dog who come to visit or are left in our care that we do have a chance to get a fix now and then.

I would love to have another fur baby or two, but on a rather limited retirement income, we simply cannot afford the vet bills any more. And if I cannot give them the care they need. . .

My brother is smoking up a pork shoulder even as I write this . It's time to get cleaned up and go over there for dinner!
How did the pork shoulder come out? I regularly smoke up Boston butt. They tell me it's pretty good, but insist that I need more practice.
On February 11th, I will be serving roughly 40 pounds at a benefit for one of our customers.
jeremiah_event.png

Just finished watching a WWII movie that actually left me in tears, Hacksaw Ridge.
It's about Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector who became an Army medic and during the bloodiest battle on Okinawa managed to win the Congressional Medal of Honor without ever firing a shot.
It's a brutally realistic movie but what he did was beyond heroic, it was miraculous.

That one is on my to-watch list. The previews look good and the subject is an interesting one.

Bonsoir, i like this forum but i find strange that some of my threat are not working well
Just finished watching a WWII movie that actually left me in tears, Hacksaw Ridge.
It's about Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector who became an Army medic and during the bloodiest battle on Okinawa managed to win the Congressional Medal of Honor without ever firing a shot.
It's a brutally realistic movie but what he did was beyond heroic, it was miraculous.

That one is on my to-watch list. The previews look good and the subject is an interesting one.

Hello, it's strange that the subjects I create do not interest the members ... I have presented nice little games and nobody play.

Maybe some people (like me) don't have enough time to rake all forum, only threads, they know? :) Give me a link on your game and I'll try to upkeep your activity! :)

Bonsoir, i put a new person to find...and this person i think will be easy to find the name :)

The Link Who is it ?

Ah. My fav movies...Hobbit and lotrs!

Yes, such an epic film! :) And we have here two translation of LOTR movie, official and "humorous" - with a lot of jokes and citations from Russian movies... It's very interesting variant, but, I think, not able to translate back to English without thick footnotes :)
Bonsoir, i realy like black and white film...i give you a link like you ask this little game is about finding the name of a film :)

The Name of a Film

My brother is smoking up a pork shoulder even as I write this . It's time to get cleaned up and go over there for dinner!
How did the pork shoulder come out? I regularly smoke up Boston butt. They tell me it's pretty good, but insist that I need more practice.
On February 11th, I will be serving roughly 40 pounds at a benefit for one of our customers. View attachment 109548
He rubbed it with only salt and ground black pepper then slapped it in his Weber Smoky Mountain 18.5" cooker for five hours. He has a thermometer that takes the temperature of the meat with one probe, and the surface of the grate with another. Then this thermometer radios the readings to his remote thermometer reader as he luxuriates in his recliner.

The pork, cooked low and slow, was juicy and tender and had a great smoke flavor, too much and the meat can get bitter.

I smoke mine for 12 hours with pecan wood chunks. I rub it with a product called Butt Rub and add a light coat of a heavily doctored barbecue sauce.
It has never come out bitter. After 10 hours at about 175 degrees in the smoker, I raise the temp to 200 - 225 for the last 2 hours and if necessary. will move it to the oven to get to 195 to 200 degrees internal temperature. I don't go with the probes and stuff. I use a simple cabinet smoker with hardwood chunk charcoal and pecan chunks I collect from the hundreds of pecan orchards in the area. I generally keep a battery operated Sawzall in the truck and will stop to harvest a limb when I see one down and have a few minutes.

Update on Boo. He's definitely getting worse pretty much he's starving himself, we don't see him eating anything and he's starting to look severely emaciated. He basically lays in one spot at a time for a while and seems to stare at nothing, when he moves it's slowly with difficulty then suddenly he seems to perk up for a day but the end is inevitable even though his good days give us hope of a miracle. We'd like to put him to sleep at home where he's comfortable but haven't found anyone here who does in home euthanasia. Really don't want to do this but we see no other option especially if he's suffering.
My experience is that once they stop eating, it's all over except the fat lady singing. Last fall, when the dog died, the old lady cat quit eating. She'd been eating well up until then. I started hydrating her in hope that she'd revive but after accepting the inevitability of a 22-yr-old cat's surviving much longer, I just made her as comfortable as possible and loved her. She passed peacefully while I was out doing chores, looked like she just curled up and went to sleep.

Forum List

Back