USMB Coffee Shop IV

Happy Birthday, Nosmo King! I was 60 five years ago. Not a bad year. Hope you have many more birthdays and all of them better and better.

Mrs. BBD fried me up some chicken livers, gizzards and hearts for supper. Good stuff. YUM!

Speaking of lard. My Grandmother used to make the best lard biscuits. They were so light and fluffy that when she put them on the table in the bread basket she had to put a brick on top of them to keep them from floating up to the ceiling.
I'll bet your Grandmother made some killer pie crusts, too.

Nope. No breading. Just lightly fried, seasonings, and shoveling the oil as it cooks over the top til done. Then peel the skin off and chow down.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app
No skin, either wrapped in foil with seasoning and baked, or braised on the stovetop.
Extra skin, layered in between lard, crusted in salt and deep fried in peanut oil...........
Sometimes i miss the "good old days"......... NOT!!!!!

I've seen Gone With the Wind! Beautiful movie! :)
Rossella O'Hara was splendid :bow2:

Was it the original? Vivian Leigh played Scarlett O'Hara. :) I love the dresses! Imagine getting all dressed up like that?

Leigh,%20Vivien%20(Gone%20With%20the%20Wind)_01.jpg

What a beauty she was. It's a shame how she suffered so much with mental illness.
Her beauty was stunning! I'm really sorry she suffered from a mental illness :(
So sad :cry:

Did they really call her "Rossella O'Hara" in the version you saw? Originally, her name I "Scarlet" (bright red).
Strange! In the version I've seen they called her Rossella! :dunno:
Maybe the movie I saw wasn't the original version (but I did download the movie from Emule and the title says "original version" :eusa_think:)

Was it the original? Vivian Leigh played Scarlett O'Hara. :) I love the dresses! Imagine getting all dressed up like that?

That's when ladies knew how to dress as ladies. So classy and elegant. My fav era for women's elegant apparel are the 1940s and 50s.

Meanwhile, whatcha been up to Chris?

1940s and 50s not so bad, 1860s........ Most women didn't dress like that, most wore simple day dresses without corsets and the 4+ layers of skirts, they worked hard from before sunup to often after sundown. Makeup contained lead, mercury and arsenic and most women did not wear makeup. Think no air conditioning, no central heating, bad oral hygiene, etc, etc........
Ok you're right Ringel05 but they were so elegant. I want to say they were noble in all their dresses in 40s and 50s :)
Today we have too much vulgarity everywhere (not only in women fashion style...) :(

Hi ChrisL :bye1:
I thought it was the original one but in the movie I saw they called her Rossella and not Scarlett! Really strange! :)
I wish I could dress like that just once in my life! The dress is as beautiful as she is! :bow3::bowdown:

Did they really call her "Rossella O'Hara" in the version you saw? Originally, her name I "Scarlet" (bright red).
Strange! In the version I've seen they called her Rossella! :dunno:
Maybe the movie I saw wasn't the original version (but I did download the movie from Emule and the title says "original version" :eusa_think:)
I've never seen the movie in English, but in French with German subtitles. The books explain her name "Angelique".

Update on Boo. He's definitely getting worse pretty much he's starving himself, we don't see him eating anything and he's starting to look severely emaciated. He basically lays in one spot at a time for a while and seems to stare at nothing, when he moves it's slowly with difficulty then suddenly he seems to perk up for a day but the end is inevitable even though his good days give us hope of a miracle. We'd like to put him to sleep at home where he's comfortable but haven't found anyone here who does in home euthanasia. Really don't want to do this but we see no other option especially if he's suffering.

Update on Boo. He's definitely getting worse pretty much he's starving himself, we don't see him eating anything and he's starting to look severely emaciated. He basically lays in one spot at a time for a while and seems to stare at nothing, when he moves it's slowly with difficulty then suddenly he seems to perk up for a day but the end is inevitable even though his good days give us hope of a miracle. We'd like to put him to sleep at home where he's comfortable but haven't found anyone here who does in home euthanasia. Really don't want to do this but we see no other option especially if he's suffering.
That's what Pretties did. Vet could not find anything wrong with her either.
She starved herself when Gracie died. That was the conclusion.

Keep looking for a vet that comes to your home. Many do that.

I'm so sorry.

That's what Pretties did. Vet could not find anything wrong with her either.
She starved herself when Gracie died. That was the conclusion.

Keep looking for a vet that comes to your home. Many do that.

I'm so sorry.

Boo's condition is Feline Leukemia that's apparently gone full blown blood/marrow cancer, there is no cure other than divine intervention. I'm sure he knows it's the end which is why he's not eating any more. Generally he tends to find places out of the way where he can hide but occasionally will sleep on the bed (where he is right now), we talk to him and most often he doesn't even look at us. He's also not grooming himself anymore and is starting to stink, something a healthy or recovering cat would never allow to happen. It's time, he's suffering and though it hurts so much it's better for him for us to let him go.

I understand. And your decision to help Boo get over rainbow Bridge is the most loving thing you can do..And he knows it.
I just hope you can find a vet that will come to the house. If not, Boo will understand. I hate to take my other car in because they would not come to me. He sat in my lap, curled in a blanket. Vet got on the floor with us and I held him until he drew his last breath. Did the same with Moki 3 months ago. :(

I understand. And your decision to help Boo get over rainbow Bridge is the most loving thing you can do..And he knows it.
I just hope you can find a vet that will come to the house. If not, Boo will understand. I hate to take my other car in because they would not come to me. He sat in my lap, curled in a blanket. Vet got on the floor with us and I held him until he drew his last breath. Did the same with Moki 3 months ago. :(

Sounds interesting... I'm eating simple chicken but dreaming about something more exotic :)

What is a simple chicken recipe in Russia? Here it would be:
- baked hen
- fried chicken
- rotisserie chicken
- grilled chicken
- bar-b-qued chicken

Just salt, pepper, and/or a sauce.

As for me, I have fried chicken. I've bought about 1 kg of freezed chicken parts and fried them at frying pan, using only about two spoons of vegetable oil (before the chicken would give own fat). Some salt and pepper - just as you want, after cooking. It's a "man" recipe, while my wife is busy Better result could be, if I use fresh meat and condiments, but shop with it is further and today I'm lazy :)

You don't bread the chicken when you fry it? I've never tried it any other way. Here fried chicken, at least the way I do it, is to dip the chicken pieces in milk--preferably half & half or evaporated milk--seasoned with salt and pepper, then roll it in seasoned flour or bread crumbs--I prefer flour actually--and then cook it until done in hot oil, lard, or shortening. Nothing really healthy about it and high calorie, but oh so good.
Probably shallow fried as opposed to deep fried, I do that all the time.

I do it both ways. Back when I used to use more lard or shortening, it works better deep fried. But now that we try to use healthier oils--which probably will be shown to be less healthy after they complete the next study(ies)--shallow frying works better.

I actually prefer chicken with glazes or baked or grilled instead of fried.

Forum List

Back