USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hubbie just got back from Tucson, he says our friend is doing fine.
I gotta go now, need to make us some lunch up, for 3. :)

As with all good things, our streak of wonderful weather has come to an end just in time for the weekend. The remnants of tropical storm Cindy have drifted up the western slope of the Appalachians and elbowed their way into the sunny skies we enjoyed all week. No use watering the flowers today. No use dragging out the mower or hedge trimmers.

All the windows save the one in the bathroom and the one facing north from my office are shut. Those two particular windows are sheltered beneath the roof overhang. What I call my office was at one time a side porch. Previous owners enclosed it years before I bought the house.

Daisy the Mutt is content to sleep on the fleece blanket folded on the hearth of the fireplace here in the Great Hall. If I offered her a walk in the park, she would come to life and huff and puff her way through the room until I dangle her collar before her. But there's no point in getting her worked up over something that, according to the weather radar, ain't gonna happen today.

But Game Night is set for this evening. Tonight we'll have at least four players around the table for the first time in a month or two. We have a few new games to play tonight. As we are avid board gamers, a few game publishers send us prototypes to play and review.

This is a Golden Age of board games. There are so many new, challenging and fun games published since 2007 it's hard to keep up. I know that many more folks play computer based games and enjoy them thoroughly. But the camaraderie shared around a table cannot be found around a keyboard.

As with all good things, our streak of wonderful weather has come to an end just in time for the weekend. The remnants of tropical storm Cindy have drifted up the western slope of the Appalachians and elbowed their way into the sunny skies we enjoyed all week. No use watering the flowers today. No use dragging out the mower or hedge trimmers.

All the windows save the one in the bathroom and the one facing north from my office are shut. Those two particular windows are sheltered beneath the roof overhang. What I call my office was at one time a side porch. Previous owners enclosed it years before I bought the house.

Daisy the Mutt is content to sleep on the fleece blanket folded on the hearth of the fireplace here in the Great Hall. If I offered her a walk in the park, she would come to life and huff and puff her way through the room until I dangle her collar before her. But there's no point in getting her worked up over something that, according to the weather radar, ain't gonna happen today.

But Game Night is set for this evening. Tonight we'll have at least four players around the table for the first time in a month or two. We have a few new games to play tonight. As we are avid board gamers, a few game publishers send us prototypes to play and review.

This is a Golden Age of board games. There are so many new, challenging and fun games published since 2007 it's hard to keep up. I know that many more folks play computer based games and enjoy them thoroughly. But the camaraderie shared around a table cannot be found around a keyboard.

I agree. I so enjoy our weekly 42 games with friends. An experience that cannot be duplicated on line.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's the mind-numbingly boring nature of the work, but I think my Database Management text contradicts itself sometimes. I'm reading a chapter for this week's work, and this paragraph sounds to me to be contradicting itself:
"
There are three types of primary keys that you can use in your database design. A natural key (also called a logical key or an intelligent key) is a primary key that consists of a column that uniquely identifies an entity, such as a person’s Social Security number, a book’s ISBN (International Standard Book Number), a product’s UPC (Universal Product Code), or a vehicle’s VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). These characteristics are inherent to the entity and visible to users. If a natural key exists for an entity, you usually can select it as the primary key."

So if a natural key is, by definition, a primary key, how can it go on to say that if a natural key exists, you can usually select it as the primary key? Wouldn't that mean it is not a primary key by definition?

I think this is poor writing/editing, and doesn't make me feel good about learning the material, when I'm unsure I can trust the authors. :p

And he is out the door again to put his Quarter into the pot at Eagles Club and gossip. :)
He won 200.00 last week from the weekly draw.
His daily walks around the inside of the entire Wal-Mart Store is paying off.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's the mind-numbingly boring nature of the work, but I think my Database Management text contradicts itself sometimes. I'm reading a chapter for this week's work, and this paragraph sounds to me to be contradicting itself:
"
There are three types of primary keys that you can use in your database design. A natural key (also called a logical key or an intelligent key) is a primary key that consists of a column that uniquely identifies an entity, such as a person’s Social Security number, a book’s ISBN (International Standard Book Number), a product’s UPC (Universal Product Code), or a vehicle’s VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). These characteristics are inherent to the entity and visible to users. If a natural key exists for an entity, you usually can select it as the primary key."

So if a natural key is, by definition, a primary key, how can it go on to say that if a natural key exists, you can usually select it as the primary key? Wouldn't that mean it is not a primary key by definition?

I think this is poor writing/editing, and doesn't make me feel good about learning the material, when I'm unsure I can trust the authors. :p

:)) Just remove word "primary" in second sentence. Natural key is a key, and only can be primary... But, frankly speaking, using a natural key as primary is not a good idea. At first, author gives an intricate examples, but don't say, natural key cannot be changeable. What would you do, if your natural key would number of Driver License, and you'll lose one?
At second, natural keys have different types. When you should build API at this database - it would make your work much more difficult and full of bugs...

So, author is right :) - it's a bad idea to use natural key as primary. Use surrogate key! :)

Morning everybody!

Hubby took a good friend up to the VA in Tucson this morning for outpatient sholder surgery, they had to be there at 6:00 a. m. :eek-52: !
It's great that he can return the favor because he was there for us when hubby had his heart attack.

Mean while, I'm here at the home front while the roof guys are here fixing the drain pipe and roof tiles that got damaged from a huge dust devil that came through here and right over our house. Their like mini tornados ya know. :)

Your husband's health is really remarkable.

Morning everybody!

Hubby took a good friend up to the VA in Tucson this morning for outpatient sholder surgery, they had to be there at 6:00 a. m. :eek-52: !
It's great that he can return the favor because he was there for us when hubby had his heart attack.

Mean while, I'm here at the home front while the roof guys are here fixing the drain pipe and roof tiles that got damaged from a huge dust devil that came through here and right over our house. Their like mini tornados ya know. :)

It's his positive attitude as well as the remarkable way his body was able to recuperate although it took a little longer than most. He had less than 15% of his heart working to begin with and they gave him a 20% chance of him living overnight when he was
admitted the day of Jan. 8th.

According to the Doc's he should be in a wheelchair from his MS and should have needed oxygen with less than 10 to 15% of the heart working, but he has remained in the high 98 to 99% this entire time. They are still baffled by it and can't explain it. :biggrin:

The power of prayer with all of our wonderful different denominational churches and others here on this board is the miracle. :)

Last edited:
Just got back from the dentists. As usual I did not need any fillings. Just a quick check up. I am ok for another six months.

You're lucky. I have been blessed with good health my whole life except for teeth. Every trip to the dentist pretty much requires something unpleasant that costs a lot of money.

Sorry to hear that. I am lucky because I seem to have hard teeth. I only lost one tooth in my 71 years, and that was because I once had a bad dentist who drilled so badly that the tooth died, and I got an abscess under it. So I had to have it taken out by another dentist. It was a back tooth, so it does not show.
Ditto here, the only tooth I've ever lost was a bad job by a bad dentist.
Did you ever find out about the fox kits? Did they get buried?

I was
Morning everybody!

It's his positive attitude as well as the remarkable way his body was able to recuperate although it took a little longer than most. He had less than 15% of his heart working to begin with and they gave him a 20% chance of him living overnight when he was
admitted the day of Jan. 8th.

According to the Doc's he should be in a wheelchair from his MS and should have needed oxygen with less than 10 to 15% of the heart working, but he has remained in the high 98 to 99% this entire time. They are still baffled by it and can't explain it. :biggrin:

The power of prayer with all of our wonderful different denominational churches and others here on this board is the miracle. :)

I sure would like to think so Peach. I know prayer and positive thoughts when I had my surgery made all the difference. I still think about how risky that surgery was and all the things that could have gone wrong but didn't. And how quick my recuperation was. The doctors couldn't explain that either but I felt great from Day 1. I wasn't supposed to. I was supposed to be in the hospital a minimum of 10 to 14 days. I was discharged on Day 6. :)

Im not quite sure what to do with myself. I have no tears left. Maybe because I either sweat them all out or cried them all out. And I have a horrible headache. Tried to nap..couldn't. Gave the german sheperd down the street karmas coat brush. Put the case of ID Hills Diet in the van for tomorrows visit to my friend that used to have 7 dogs..but now has 9. I think visiting her and her huge furkid family may help us a bit.

But for now...not sure what to do. Not hungry, haven't eaten at all today and don't feel like it either. Maybe I will go clean out watched threads cuz it gets really full. I am still in shock she is not under my feet at the pc desk. And when I go outside...she is not here to say "lets go".
So sad, that empty place, all those empty places. I won't tell you it will get better, but time will allow your pain to dull and fade. It's how we are built.
So, so sorry, Gracie.

Local sunset 8:56 pm. The summer solstice, our longest day. I just spent a few moments out on the North Lawn watching the fireflies. A good crop of fireflies this year.

When I was a kid I was fascinated by them, as most kids are. Light, actual light from a bug flying at kid height, flying slowly. Take a mayonnaise jar, a Phillips screwdriver and a hammer. Punch holes in the lid of the jar using the screwdriver and hammer. Get scolded by Pop for misusing the screwdriver and hammer. Then Pop helps you catch the mfireflies. So,e scolding.

I didn't take any notice of a pattern between the fireflies, or lightening bugs as they are called in these parts. I noticed that one firefly on the ground would blink. Those hovering above would then blink back. Seven or eight of them at a time would respond to the one on the ground. I'm not an entomologist but I'm imagining the ground based bug to be a female and her suitors are the ones fluttering above. I don't know for sure. Maybe it's just the romantic in me to think so.

I sat in the twilight's last gleaming, the sky golden in sunset, clouds drifting by like the tall ships in New York harbor at the Bicentennial. No breeze to disturb the fireflies and, incredibly, no mosquitoes.

God but I do love summertime.
Solstice here means it never really gets nighttime at all. It gets twi-lighty for about 15-20 minutes but the sun only dips briefly below the horizon. Now, the days will begin getting shorter and night will once more take over an increasing portion of our lives.

Hello everyone, In France we have a heatwave in several departments in my region for 5 days the temperatures in the day are 38 ° and the morning 22 ° we are Knock Out but I see on TV that California is much worse with températures in the 50 ° at some place
Several power cuts have been reported across California, with the population increasingly using air-conditioning units, which puts the power grid beyond its capabilities. Several fire starts have also been recorded in the state, particularly in the San Bernardino National Forest.

In Death Valley, one of the hottest places on the planet, a temperature of 54 ° C (130 ° F) was recorded.
And to think, we're holding around 15C and suffering a heat wave. It's almost too hot to work, and I sleep in a sweat!

"

:)) Just remove word "primary" in second sentence. Natural key is a key, and only can be primary... But, frankly speaking, using a natural key as primary is not a good idea. At first, author gives an intricate examples, but don't say, natural key cannot be changeable. What would you do, if your natural key would number of Driver License, and you'll lose one?
At second, natural keys have different types. When you should build API at this database - it would make your work much more difficult and full of bugs...

So, author is right :) - it's a bad idea to use natural key as primary. Use surrogate key! :)

I wish I just had to answer whether I prefer a natural or surrogate key. :p

I read an article about a Scottish couple offering $64000 or so per year (50000 pounds) for a live in nanny for their 2 kids. Supposedly they have gone through a number of previous employees who say the house is haunted.

A couple of things. First, holy crap! According to the article, that money is in addition to free room and board. I'd go live in Scotland for 64 grand a year that I can pretty much just save. I'm not worried about any ghosts. Second, the article said that salary is about twice the usual rate for a live in nanny. WTF! A live in nanny usually makes $32,000 a year, not including the free room and board? Maybe I should be thinking about trying to be a nanny in Britain!

I wish I could find an offer like that near here. Hell, give me $10,000 a year and free room and board and I'd be thrilled. :lol:

Been without my Flowmax for at least 5 days and I'm having serious issues, still waiting on the meds from El Paso to arrive, don't know how long that'll be but the post office sent someone back to the old house to retrieve them. The VA won't fix their fuck up so screw em and won't see me until the end of August, I now have Medicare so I made an appointment with a GP for Monday then went into an Urgent Care right around the corner. They sent a month supply script to the Albertsons and I just got home from picking it up, thank God someone was willing to help.
Also after much research and discussion we bought a Sleep Number bed, it'll be delivered in around two weeks. :thup:

Local sunset 8:56 pm. The summer solstice, our longest day. I just spent a few moments out on the North Lawn watching the fireflies. A good crop of fireflies this year.

When I was a kid I was fascinated by them, as most kids are. Light, actual light from a bug flying at kid height, flying slowly. Take a mayonnaise jar, a Phillips screwdriver and a hammer. Punch holes in the lid of the jar using the screwdriver and hammer. Get scolded by Pop for misusing the screwdriver and hammer. Then Pop helps you catch the mfireflies. So,e scolding.

I didn't take any notice of a pattern between the fireflies, or lightening bugs as they are called in these parts. I noticed that one firefly on the ground would blink. Those hovering above would then blink back. Seven or eight of them at a time would respond to the one on the ground. I'm not an entomologist but I'm imagining the ground based bug to be a female and her suitors are the ones fluttering above. I don't know for sure. Maybe it's just the romantic in me to think so.

I sat in the twilight's last gleaming, the sky golden in sunset, clouds drifting by like the tall ships in New York harbor at the Bicentennial. No breeze to disturb the fireflies and, incredibly, no mosquitoes.

God but I do love summertime.
Solstice here means it never really gets nighttime at all. It gets twi-lighty for about 15-20 minutes but the sun only dips briefly below the horizon. Now, the days will begin getting shorter and night will once more take over an increasing portion of our lives.
How hard is it maintaining a regular sleep schedule? Since the temperatures have been running in the mid sixties overnight, I keep the bedroom windows open and the roman shade drawn up to catch the breezes. With the shade up, the dawn's early night is a natural alarm clock.

Hello everyone, In France we have a heatwave in several departments in my region for 5 days the temperatures in the day are 38 ° and the morning 22 ° we are Knock Out but I see on TV that California is much worse with températures in the 50 ° at some place
Several power cuts have been reported across California, with the population increasingly using air-conditioning units, which puts the power grid beyond its capabilities. Several fire starts have also been recorded in the state, particularly in the San Bernardino National Forest.

In Death Valley, one of the hottest places on the planet, a temperature of 54 ° C (130 ° F) was recorded.
And to think, we're holding around 15C and suffering a heat wave. It's almost too hot to work, and I sleep in a sweat!

15 C? A heat wave? Really? Here in late June on the high desert, I hope you understand it's really hard to work up a lot of sympathy for you GW, but I'll try. :)

Forum List

Back