USMB Coffee Shop IV

Looks like I'll be going home today! I am super hydrated, my digestive system is chugging along, whatever was kinked up in my small intestine is unkinked. I have been tolerating the clear liquid diet and can move on to solid food, which honestly, still doesn't appeal all that much.

Hurrah!
You will be much more comfy at home.
You get some good rest and take it easy for a little while. :)

Oh my God! :eek-52:

We had a very heavy windy monsoon rain last night and we had flooding in all of our yards like every year, not out of the ordinary.

I went into the garage to do some laundry in the utility room and the drywall ceiling has collapsed.

Hubbie has enough to deal with right now and he hasn't gone into the garage since his heart attack.
I don't know if I should tell him now or wait till he gets better after his surgery.
I think I'll wait it's a mess behind the garage door.
I really don't known why the dry wall should fall like that.
We have no infestations of any kind like termites. It's all dry so it didn't get wet.:dunno:

Should I tell him now or wait?

If you can work around it, and there's a good chance he won't see it, maybe you could wait.

Thank you for your help.
The thing of it is, that is where I sit to read my books or nook in a chair, sort of my little (was) safe place to not be interrupted and quite time.
If it had happened while I was sitting there I could have gotten seriously hurt or killed!
Who knows . :eek-52:
Scary

Yikes! Maybe you should just call someone to come repair it for you? Maybe while your hubby is out of the house for the day or something?

Looks like I'll be going home today! I am super hydrated, my digestive system is chugging along, whatever was kinked up in my small intestine is unkinked. I have been tolerating the clear liquid diet and can move on to solid food, which honestly, still doesn't appeal all that much.

Just start off slowly and don't try to push it. Eat frequently but in small portions. Hope you are feeling back to yourself very soon. :)

Just start off slowly and don't try to push it. Eat frequently but in small portions. Hope you are feeling back to yourself very soon. :)

Thank you. I was scared for a while. But this reminds me that once you take care of yourself, things in a generally healthy body bounce back fairly quickly. Time to fix what's broken.

We had a very heavy windy monsoon rain last night and we had flooding in all of our yards like every year, not out of the ordinary.

I went into the garage to do some laundry in the utility room and the drywall ceiling has collapsed.

Hubbie has enough to deal with right now and he hasn't gone into the garage since his heart attack.
I don't know if I should tell him now or wait till he gets better after his surgery.
We have no infestations of any kind like termites. It's all dry so it didn't get wet.:dunno:

If you can work around it, and there's a good chance he won't see it, maybe you could wait.

Thank you for your help.
The thing of it is, that is where I sit to read my books or nook in a chair, sort of my little (was) safe place to not be interrupted and quite time.
If it had happened while I was sitting there I could have gotten seriously hurt or killed!
Scary

Yikes! Maybe you should just call someone to come repair it for you? Maybe while your hubby is out of the house for the day or something?

I was thinking about it last night.
I forgot that when we first got the house in the 80's we found out that they put the drywall ceiling up with flat head nails and not dry wall screws. He put up dry wall screws in all of the house but not the garage. When we discovered it.
The front porch drywall panel fell and that's when we discovered that they had put up all of the dry wall ceilings with nails. They built these homes as cheap as they could possibly could get away with. :)
We never did put in drywall screws in the garage though. :eek-52:
I think it was the heavy wind that vibrated it lose.
All of our windows was rattling but our new roof tile did just fine. :)
That wind also tilted one of the roofs wind turbines.
That storm was horrible and scary.

Last edited:

Thank you for your help.
Scary

I forgot that when we first got the house in the 80's we found out that they put the drywall ceiling up with flat head nails and not dry wall screws. He put up dry wall screws in all of the house but not the garage.l
The front porch drywall panel fell and that's when we discovered that they had put up all of thhe dry wall ceilings with nails. They built these homes as cheap as they could possibly could get away with. :)

Better wear a hard hat if you go out there! :lol:

Thank you for your help.
Scary

I forgot that when we first got the house in the 80's we found out that they put the drywall ceiling up with flat head nails and not dry wall screws. He put up dry wall screws in all of the house but not the garage.l
The front porch drywall panel fell and that's when we discovered that they had put up all of thhe dry wall ceilings with nails. They built these homes as cheap as they could possibly could get away with. :)

Better wear a hard hat if you go out there! :lol:

I know!
I'm sorta scared to do the laundry now. :)

I am going to at least sweep up the ceiling insulation, its all over the front of garage. It's that blow in kind. Not the roles.
Maybe move the drywall panel over the chair to see if it's alright.
I'll do it this morning while he's out riding his bike with his buddy this morning.

We will have to hire a drywall repair guy.
He can also do the dry wall in the hot water closet also.
Last year hubbie tried to install a new hot waster heater and fell through the wall.
His MS was just starting to go into remission and that back bruise retriggerd it for another two months. :(

I'm still wrestling with not telling him though.
It goes against our foundation of not keeping any secrets from each other. It's one of those a rock and hard place thingy's. :)
But he has enough stress and worries right now not knowing when he can get his surgery.
Sigh...........

Thank you for your help.
Scary

I forgot that when we first got the house in the 80's we found out that they put the drywall ceiling up with flat head nails and not dry wall screws. He put up dry wall screws in all of the house but not the garage. When we discovered it.
The front porch drywall panel fell and that's when we discovered that they had put up all of the dry wall ceilings with nails. They built these homes as cheap as they could possibly could get away with. :)
Drywall screw usage is relatively new (the last twenty years) so most older houses are drywalled with drywall nails not screws and drywall nails were half the price of screws at the time and still cheaper today just not as much difference as twenty years ago. Don't blame the contractor for using what was common back then. Nails are still one of the best lower cost methods of hanging gypsum on walls but for ceilings screws are the best.

Have one of those large Ortho disposable indoor/outdoor bug sprayers, used it a couple of days ago around the outside of the house and left it on the porch table. The sprayer has a red cap and the wife was sitting out on the porch when a hummingbird flew up to the sprayer, tapped the cap twice with it's beak then flew off......... :lol:
About ten minutes ago Giz caught a Sparrow, carried it around for a minute then it got away when Giz went to get a better grip on it. Given that he's fed well I seriously doubt he would have tried to eat it, he was just honing his skills..........

I don't know what they were called back in 88 but he put in the right kind drywall screw thing a ma jiggey. :)

I had a neighbor stop by this morning for some coffee and a chat.
I showed him the garage and he said the same thing happened in his garage too, but not as many panels. He replaced it with the right type of what he called dry wall screws.
In the house and garage.
He also agrees with me, that I should not go out there till we get someone to fix it.

Hubbie is still out riding and should be home shortly.

I have the lose whoosh of insulation at the back half of the garage dusted off the shelves, and things on them, got the floor swept up.
2 -33 gal. Trash bags packed down full and haven't even gotten to the big piles of it at the front half of the garage and my completely buried chair. :(

I decided I have to tell him, because he's gonna notice that I'm not out there in it reading and listening to my music.
He knows the one in the closet needs to be fixed and I think he be ok knowing.
He'd be more upset that I kept it from him.
This is a mess and it's going to take me awhile to stuff & pack down many, many bags
of this stuff.
When this insulation is packed it's heavy. :)

I have the lose whoosh of insulation at the back half of the garage dusted off the shelves, and things on them, got the floor swept up.
2 -33 gal. Trash bags packed down full and haven't even gotten to the big piles of it at the front half of the garage and my completely buried chair. :(

I decided I have to tell him, because he's gonna notice that I'm not out there in it reading and listening to my music.
This is a mess and it's going to take me awhile to stuff & pack down many, many bags
of this stuff.

Oh retrospect, I think you're right. And I think you ought to pay somebody to come load it all up and haul it out of there.

Well, 40 pounds of pulled pork is in the oven reheating for my birthday party tonight at Doc Holliday's We have a reggae band tonight that has kind of a Southern Rock component. Imagine "Sweet Home Alabama" with a reggae back beat.
I lit the fire about noon on Thursday and had the meat shredded and in the fridge about 4:30 yesterday morning. I showered before bed, but woke up about 10 still smelling like pecan smoke.
2 more showers and the smell was gone, but now, I'm handling the meat again and my hands smell real good.

Well, 40 pounds of pulled pork is in the oven reheating for my birthday party tonight at Doc Holliday's We have a reggae band tonight that has kind of a Southern Rock component. Imagine "Sweet Home Alabama" with a reggae back beat.
I lit the fire about noon on Thursday and had the meat shredded and in the fridge about 4:30 yesterday morning. I showered before bed, but woke up about 10 still smelling like pecan smoke.
2 more showers and the smell was gone, but now, I'm handling the meat again and my hands smell real good.

Happy birthday!

of this stuff.
I agree that you should tell him. He will take it hard, knowing he isn't up to fixing it, but keeping it a secret is not who you are.

Happy birthday!
My birthday is actually tomorrow, but thank you.

Happy birthday!
My birthday is actually tomorrow, but thank you.

Happy Birthday tomorrow Ernie S.! :biggrin:

Last edited:
I told him when he got home.
He's OK with it. He said he would have been more upset if he tried to open the garage door from the outside and wouldn't be able to ,due to the drywall wedged up against it on either side.
He said he would have thought the new door might be broke.
I never thought of that. Oops!

He said it's fine to get a drywall guy to do it.
He wanted to hire someone for the hot water closet anyway.
He also does not want me out there till it gets fixed.
I'm still gonna have to clean that insulation though. The ceiling is already down where I'll have to clean up.
It sort looks like it snowed in there.

It's a relief for me cuz it was tearing me up to keep it from him.
Like Ernie and Foxfyre says, it's not in me to be like that. :)

Last edited:
Hey Ringel05,
Hubby says to tell you they used penny nails on the ceiling.
He replaced it with dry wall nails, like you said. :)

Forum List

Back