USMB Coffee Shop IV

One thing I enjoy on rare occasions is butterscotch sauce over ice cream, went to the store the other day and they had it on sale........ Read the ingredients, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup followed by a string of unrecognizable ingredients........ That is not butterscotch

Gracie, Gracie, Gracie. There that should fix it any minute now...

So what's happening with you Save? Any leads on a new job that you would love? And resolution yet on the old one?

Going to take the civil service test for postal carrier Sunday. Mensa is taking their own sweet time in sending my test results. The state is busy with my complaints against my old boss. I don't expect much from that until the end of August or a little later.

Will keep our fingers crossed and keep you in our prayers that you find just what you need at this point in your life. I would think being a postal carrier might be a mite less challenging than sales but would be consistently steady work and much less stressful. Can you do that and your landscape business? Or would you want to?

Probably try to do both.

One thing I enjoy on rare occasions is butterscotch sauce over ice cream, went to the store the other day and they had it on sale........ Read the ingredients, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup followed by a string of unrecognizable ingredients........ That is not butterscotch
I think you just very slowly cook sugar until it turns brown, add butter and cream. Pinch of salt. But you better look it up.

Gracie, Gracie, Gracie. There that should fix it any minute now...

So what's happening with you Save? Any leads on a new job that you would love? And resolution yet on the old one?

Going to take the civil service test for postal carrier Sunday. Mensa is taking their own sweet time in sending my test results. The state is busy with my complaints against my old boss. I don't expect much from that until the end of August or a little later.

Will keep our fingers crossed and keep you in our prayers that you find just what you need at this point in your life. I would think being a postal carrier might be a mite less challenging than sales but would be consistently steady work and much less stressful. Can you do that and your landscape business? Or would you want to?

Probably try to do both.
I work with a teacher who delivered the mail for a couple of years here, part-time. He was always called in to work weekends and whenever the roads were bad, though. He kinda liked the work itself, though, he said.
Good luck, Save. I'd hire you in a flash.

Have one of those large Ortho disposable indoor/outdoor bug sprayers, used it a couple of days ago around the outside of the house and left it on the porch table. The sprayer has a red cap and the wife was sitting out on the porch when a hummingbird flew up to the sprayer, tapped the cap twice with it's beak then flew off......... :lol:
About ten minutes ago Giz caught a Sparrow, carried it around for a minute then it got away when Giz went to get a better grip on it. Given that he's fed well I seriously doubt he would have tried to eat it, he was just honing his skills..........
Cats are like that. Even though my barn cats are well fed, dry kibble and goat milk, they still kill and eat mice and other varmints. I've even watched them teaching the kittens to hunt. I've only seen evidence of bird predation 2-3 times in the ten years I've been harboring my feral colony.

Well, 40 pounds of pulled pork is in the oven reheating for my birthday party tonight at Doc Holliday's We have a reggae band tonight that has kind of a Southern Rock component. Imagine "Sweet Home Alabama" with a reggae back beat.
I lit the fire about noon on Thursday and had the meat shredded and in the fridge about 4:30 yesterday morning. I showered before bed, but woke up about 10 still smelling like pecan smoke.
2 more showers and the smell was gone, but now, I'm handling the meat again and my hands smell real good.
Happy Birthday, Ernie!

I told him when he got home.
He's OK with it. He said he would have been more upset if he tried to open the garage door from the outside and wouldn't be able to ,due to the drywall wedged up against it on either side.
He said he would have thought the new door might be broke.
I never thought of that. Oops!

He said it's fine to get a drywall guy to do it.
He wanted to hire someone for the hot water closet anyway.
He also does not want me out there till it gets fixed.
I'm still gonna have to clean that insulation though. The ceiling is already down where I'll have to clean up.
It sort looks like it snowed in there.

It's a relief for me cuz it was tearing me up to keep it from him.
Like Ernie and Foxfyre says, it's not in me to be like that. :)
I hope you're wearing a mask and gloves. Fiberglass can be pretty nasty if you breath it, and it can get itchy on your skin.

He's OK with it. He said he would have been more upset if he tried to open the garage door from the outside and wouldn't be able to ,due to the drywall wedged up against it on either side.

I'm still gonna have to clean that insulation though. The ceiling is already down where I'll have to clean up.

I hope you're wearing a mask and gloves. Fiberglass can be pretty nasty if you breath it, and it can get itchy on your skin.

Yes I am.
I have the professional masks that catches that stuff and gloves too.
Thank you for your concern. :)

This has been a day of extreme happiness and sadness. After completion of radiation and 3 rounds of chemo, the doctor informed us that my Mom is in remission. All they see is scar tissue in the upper right lobe, and it is gone from the lymph node. He recommends that she still complete the 4th round of chemo, and she has a brain MRI at the end of August as a precaution to check that it did not spread. That was the best news we could have hoped to hear. My daughter had her 12 week check up, and they could not find the baby's heartbeat. After some further procedures, they discovered that the baby had passed. As I held my sobbing daughter, my heart hurt deeply for her. She wants to be a Mom so much, and I believe she will when the time is right. I am thankful for my faith in moments like this.
Sorry for your loss, Sherry. I'll be sending all the best "vibes" I can for your mom, and good thoughts for your daughter and her husband.

Yes I am.
I have the professional masks that catches that stuff and gloves too.
Thank you for your concern. :)
Good for you! Too many people either don't know about the dangers of fiberglass (or asbestos), or they just ignore them because, well, that thing never happens to them. I'm getting ready to go tear down some fiberglass and you better bet I'll be wearing a mask, gloves, and long sleeves.

I've had a bad couple of days. Wednesday, my stomach and my back hurt, so I rested up on the couch, thinking I strained some muscles due to painting. But by evening, I threw up and the pain was getting worse. Having a history of hernias, I know the symptoms for a strangulated one. Both kids took me to the ER, where I threw up a few more times and the pain got steadily worse. Regardless, I waited about two hours. Now, I have to mention, I am not a complainer about pain. If I say it hurts, it's bad. I think I was scaring my kids because they don't ever see me like this.

Anyway, I've been admitted for a bowel blockage. I haven't had anything by mouth since Wednesday afternoon, and I have a tube up my nose and down to my stomach. But today is looking up; I can order from the clear liquids menu. I never though I'd be so happy to look forward to a ginger ale!
Dang rice! Hope everything will be ok!
:smiliehug:

It's all about gas. Now, as a lady, I don't do that, but the doctors and nurses insist that I have to!
Have the kids smuggle in some curry powder. Put a spoonful in your broth. At least, it always does the trick for me.

Maybe i can get my wife to make her some of her red beans and rice and send to her? Lol...
Send them to ME! I love rice and beans. Ricechickie is on clear liquids, anyway, so she'll never miss 'em.
Could always run 'em through a blender, no?

I've had a bad couple of days. Wednesday, my stomach and my back hurt, so I rested up on the couch, thinking I strained some muscles due to painting. But by evening, I threw up and the pain was getting worse. Having a history of hernias, I know the symptoms for a strangulated one. Both kids took me to the ER, where I threw up a few more times and the pain got steadily worse. Regardless, I waited about two hours. Now, I have to mention, I am not a complainer about pain. If I say it hurts, it's bad. I think I was scaring my kids because they don't ever see me like this.

Anyway, I've been admitted for a bowel blockage. I haven't had anything by mouth since Wednesday afternoon, and I have a tube up my nose and down to my stomach. But today is looking up; I can order from the clear liquids menu. I never though I'd be so happy to look forward to a ginger ale!

Do they allow jello shots?
Ooohh! No! The needles for jello shots are GINORMOUS! That might smart a bit...

I think you just very slowly cook sugar until it turns brown, add butter and cream. Pinch of salt. But you better look it up.
That's caramel if you use white granulated sugar, butterscotch is made with brown sugar.

We're going to see the movie Dunkirk this weekend. It has gotten good reviews. I'll let you folks know what we think. :)

Please do. Hombre especially likes historically based war movies and I enjoy them too.

Hey Foxy....

Sherry, my stepson, and I saw Dunkirk today. I wish I could give it a great review but I cannot. The film conveys the horror and chaos of war well, but all three of us were disappointed in the lack of character development. You do not even know the name of the protagonist as an example. The British soldiers are generally depicted as confused or cowardly. There is no moral center to the film.

The battle of Dunkirk was really about the amazing courage of the British people, but that is completely ignored until the very end.

Basically.....as Shakespeare said....full of sound and fury....signifying nothing. And it's a shame because Hacksaw Ridge from last year was a great movie. So was Unbroken and Saving Private Ryan back int he day. But those movies contained characters you cared about. Dunkirk does not imho.

I thought Hacksaw Ridge was OK, but not on the level of Saving Private Ryan. I haven't seen Unbroken. I'll probably wait for DVD for Dunkirk; I don't go to the theater that often.
I'm with you, Montro. Theaters are expensive and the rude level is often out the roof. While some value that big-screen, Dolby sound experience, I prefer my regular screen and the ability to watch the best parts over again.

The last couple of movies I've seen in the theater, the experience itself was actually quite good. There is a theater near a friend of mine that has comfortable, roomy seats, where you get a menu and can order a meal to be delivered during the movie. It hasn't been too crowded when I've gone, and there haven't been any particularly rude theater goers. The cost, however, is still more than I'm comfortable with.
There are a couple of dinner theater types places in Anchorage, too. They usually don't screen the most recent films, preferring more vintage, classic movies. And they are pretty pricey. Also, not really a place I would go to alone, everyone stares.

That's caramel if you use white granulated sugar, butterscotch is made with brown sugar.
Here's a recipe a buddy of mine shared: take a can of sweetened, condensed milk and put it into a slow cooker, immersed in water. Allow it to cook for several hours and when you open the can, you have caramel. You have to keep the water at least 2 inches over the can and cook it 5-8 hours, depending on how thick you want the finished product to be. (Longer = thicker)

Whew! The demon spawn is cycling through phase three of his life cycle. Some may recall I mentioned acquiring a young kitten, probably about three weeks old at the time. He's grown a lot, and has become a small cyclone of kitten energy, at least during phase two of his life cycle.
Phase one: eating. He eats well, mostly we food but dry kibble, too. He probably eats at least three times his body weight daily (OK, it seems like it, though). After eating, he has to shift ballast to lighten the load, so to speak. But don't let his diminutive size fool you, that king-sized stink comes from him.
Phase two: play. At first, he toddled about and made some rather...lame attempts at smacking a string. Well, that's all behind him now. At about six weeks, he swings from the tablecloth like Tarzan, climbs my legs like a motivated monkey, runs about as quickly as a roach when you turn the lights on, and he can climb just about anywhere, including my work table. Oh, yes, the keyboard is fascinating and has to be jumped upon, making work difficult. I bought him some toys, I have no idea where they are now. I gave him some tinfoil balls and a box, those last longer, but I suspect I'll be sweeping tinfoil out from under everything in the place. He stalks me, the dog, and the adult cats as ferociously as a starving lion. While entertaining, reading with him attacking the book is...challenging.
Phase three: my favorite, sleeping. As most all cats, he finds the most comfortable, warmest spot available and settles down to prepare a repeat of his life-cycle phases.
I'm happy to know he'll be going to his new home in a couple of days. He's healthy, happy, well-socialized...and he'll have another kitten and a couple of children to keep him occupied.

Introductory civil service exam done and passed. Scheduled for the second phase on Thursday in person. I may learn to hate junk mail even more than I already do. :lol:

Please do. Hombre especially likes historically based war movies and I enjoy them too.

Hey Foxy....

Sherry, my stepson, and I saw Dunkirk today. I wish I could give it a great review but I cannot. The film conveys the horror and chaos of war well, but all three of us were disappointed in the lack of character development. You do not even know the name of the protagonist as an example. The British soldiers are generally depicted as confused or cowardly. There is no moral center to the film.

The battle of Dunkirk was really about the amazing courage of the British people, but that is completely ignored until the very end.

Basically.....as Shakespeare said....full of sound and fury....signifying nothing. And it's a shame because Hacksaw Ridge from last year was a great movie. So was Unbroken and Saving Private Ryan back int he day. But those movies contained characters you cared about. Dunkirk does not imho.

I thought Hacksaw Ridge was OK, but not on the level of Saving Private Ryan. I haven't seen Unbroken. I'll probably wait for DVD for Dunkirk; I don't go to the theater that often.
I'm with you, Montro. Theaters are expensive and the rude level is often out the roof. While some value that big-screen, Dolby sound experience, I prefer my regular screen and the ability to watch the best parts over again.

The last couple of movies I've seen in the theater, the experience itself was actually quite good. There is a theater near a friend of mine that has comfortable, roomy seats, where you get a menu and can order a meal to be delivered during the movie. It hasn't been too crowded when I've gone, and there haven't been any particularly rude theater goers. The cost, however, is still more than I'm comfortable with.
There are a couple of dinner theater types places in Anchorage, too. They usually don't screen the most recent films, preferring more vintage, classic movies. And they are pretty pricey. Also, not really a place I would go to alone, everyone stares.

This is very much like a normal theater, just with better seating and meals available. It plays the latest movies like any usual movie theater.

Ernie S.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERNIE!!!!

Ernie21.jpg

Forum List

Back