USMB Coffee Shop IV

We haven't heard from Hossfly have we?

I hope everything is OK.

No, he hasn't chimed in. He's probably out of the hospital by now but if he is having to endure most of the pain involved after that particular surgery, he is almost certainly in no mood to be social. Send a LOT of prayers and/or positive vibes his way please.

Mr. P is out and about on his trike having a good ole time. :)
He says if I don't receive a call from my calls today he's going back tomorrow to the office again.
This is ridiculous.
It will 3 weeks from tomorrow that he went in for an emergency appointment , was told he will get call soon for outpatient surgery.
We still have Aug. 17th appt. with him at the Benson office. Which was the original one to begin with.
What's he going to do, say the same thing again? Because he does that surgery in Tucson.

If you are on good terms with your local doctor, maybe he/she could light a fire under them?

Mr. P is out and about on his trike having a good ole time. :)
He says if I don't receive a call from my calls today he's going back tomorrow to the office again.
This is ridiculous.
It will 3 weeks from tomorrow that he went in for an emergency appointment , was told he will get call soon for outpatient surgery.
We still have Aug. 17th appt. with him at the Benson office. Which was the original one to begin with.
What's he going to do, say the same thing again? Because he does that surgery in Tucson.

If you are on good terms with your local doctor, maybe he/she could light a fire under them?

The local docs front office is even more of a disaster than the heart docs.
You always have to go in and ask things, they never return calls.

YES!
We finally got a call from Docs office, they said the heart doc has a new nurse assistant and things are a little backed up.
They will be calling soon as they get an opening.
At least we aren't in limbo about it any longer.
Whew!

YES!
We finally got a call from Docs office, they said the heart doc has a new nurse assistant and things are a little backed up.
They will be calling soon as they get an opening.
At least we aren't in limbo about it any longer.
Whew!

Well that is a good thing. And it does explain it. Most professionals absolutely cannot do their job in any kind of efficient fashion when they are without key personnel who actually run things.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana!!!! (Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant.)
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Sherry and daughter and family,
Hossfly's knee surgery,
ricechickie and BBD for continued wellness,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, and all others we hope will return.

Sunset over Willow Lake, Alaska
17b-38451-pano.jpg

Yep, Foxy, we are back from Hawaii. Had a wonderful time. Did lots of fun stuff. Spent a lot of money! Saw things I've never seen before. Took a swim on the famous Waikiki Beach!!! Now for the bad news... I must be the most unlucky person in the whole world!!! Plane got to O'Hare Airport at 0500 as planned, took the bus to Rockford and picked up the truck from the parking lot and drove home. Wasn't feeling too well. Got home at about 0830 on Wednesday morning. Well, at 0300 on Thursday I woke up and found it very difficult to breathe. Went to the hospital emergency room to find out that somehow I had pneumonia!!! Who goes to Hawaii in July, when it's 85 dregrees with a nice mild breeze and comes home with pneumonia? I was admitted into the hospital and not let out until Friday afternoon. Feeling better now and nearly finished taking the antibiotics and steroids. It's the strangest thing I have ever heard of. Still a bit weak but feeling better everyday. It's an odd thing I tell you. Really really odd!

The one time I flew any distance (it was to Hawaii, too), I came home sick. I thought I was just jet-lagged, so I slept, but then I spiked a fever! It was the damnedest thing. I did recover without a doctor visit. Of course, I was 18, too.

I think sometimes those long flights on airplanes that just keep circulating the same air are conducive to concentrating whatever bugs the passengers are spreading.

And how are you doing now ricechickie after your own recent bout in the hospital? On a normal diet yet?
I can confirm that they do not recirculate the air in airplanes. Actually, many planes have a nitrogen-oxygen separator that provides inert nitrogen to the fuel tanks (less potential of explosion or fire) with the separated oxygen used to supplement that provided to the cabin by pressurization alone. Alas, close proximity with other people and/or lack of appropriate hygienic practices do contribute to the spread of various germs.

That's good to know. I just assumed that all those folks coughing or breathing germs into the air for hours and hours was why so many folks do get sick after flying.
I work on those systems, and teach up-n-coming, wanna-be aircraft mechanics about them, too. But the cabins are closely packed and just that proximity can transfer any contagious vectors. Also, touching things that others with illnesses have touched will cause you to get sick. Have you ever heard about the "cruise ship sickness"? Any of a group of noro viruses that are transmitted by contact. Best solution, wash your hands and try to avoid touching your nose, eyes, and mouth in such conditions of close contact with others.

I never considered it prudent or logical to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
It's the perfectly good ones that provide enough room between you and the ground!

Skydiving is first, the most fun you can have with your trousers on and second, The ruination of roller coasters forever. No coaster can compare.

Skydiving will open your sinuses!
I've always wanted to buzz around on a kite...hanglider sorta thing with a fan on the back to keep me going for as long as I could. Over fields of flowers, rivers, streams, above tall trees like my avie...what a raven would see during a leisurely flight. THAT would be awesome.
I've done the hang gliding thing, sans power, long ago...Sand City on the other side of the bay from Monterey, and a couple of places along the Big Sur coast. Quit a quick, but lots of work to get there for a few minutes of "hang time". I actually built an Icarus, long ago and far away, and flew it off the Big Sur...quite a rush, I'll admit!

Albuquerque elevation ranges from 4900 feet on the river banks in the south valley to roughly 6500 feet in the highest residential area in the northeast heights close to the mountain. The Sandia mountains form the eastern boundary of the city. We have folks who launch their unpowered hang gliders from Sandia Crest, the highest point of the mountain at 10,600+ feet, sail around on the strong thermal currents close to the mountain for awhile and eventually land in the valley below somewhere.

As a personal aside, it looks like it would be glorious, but I don't know how many strong people it would take to push me over that cliff. :) (Or out of that airplane for that matter.)

0.jpg

HangGlider2.jpg

sandiahanglider.jpg
I fly hang gliders long ago. I'm not sure I'd do it now. Of course, I used to ride motorcycles, once coast-to-coast.

We've had reports of a black bear prowling the neighborhood here near the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate. Black bears are common in the woods, but not so much in and around town. I'm sure this one is one of the picnic basket swiping variety. Those who have encountered the pesky bear say it has found something of a smorgasbord at bird feeders. The black oil sunflower seeds are a favorite and the bear has been known to chug-a-lug the sugar water from hummingbird feeders.

Black bears are fairly benign, easily distracted and intimidated. Folks here have been advised to bang pots and pans together in order to chase it back into the wild. I've heard that way out west were black bears, brown bears and grizzly bears are common hikers are advised to carry small bells and pepper spray with them as they venture into bear country. When grizzly bears are present bear experts can tell by the scat found near trails. When there are grizzly bears about the scat found has bits of bell in it and smells of pepper spray.

Meanwhile I have Daisy the Mutt standing watch.
Bells and pepper spray = dinner bells and seasoning.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Hossfly's knee surgery,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, and all others we hope will return.

17b-38451-pano.jpg
Looks like home! That's Denali in the background.

Back in Birchwood. Blech! But I have a lot to do here before the girls arrive Monday morning. While I did not get nearly as much done in Willow as I wanted, people might not recognize the place if they've been there recently.
I have a list of errands for tomorrow and chores, too. I was very happy to discover that my shower works again now that I'm on "city" water. A long, hot shower worked out the kinks and sluiced the dirt away just right.

When I get maudlin, Casey comes over to visit. He was here today, keeping me company for an hour or so. :)

zApT6UpbG-7FQkAVs2bTng0hD0Nzujh0Ujz6AlncQ5XkbX2ffjGVzAQFF0pPY2U1USiaB051BxA0fp6nIbN3L1gOqQeCl-GQYH_-1Tqnj0SeFBtdyvTU_sXFz-5FElXBchYyxlRVlZa2rFpc1cEWxs7Ztv82DpfMNesmgAOtLKYQKUx0QU2Bi6PeAoMFVdr5A6g_bEdu1LsDr6Kmu15BgUd4mcmN-PpZsN_XtlM2WzGTE2BZqEztQI-ufzdTJOsTBxkZtGKOa2eNSXiDzWvajbDxRK-y3BXlJXAoDk8AHD9oObcwWWaxaE0HBvlTr2r0e5861YY1Me_s69mzwifT544opsvO0mhNNaaDNafE-S9bXBR3aS8GoFhF9T7ZhncmqqxFa2s5b5Ul0oQ8HixrfD6kgRl0y1A_yT_TO3cD09kB47fIwt2fhiZgsAFcvWSyUci66EeTMFjUIPEvLbFC0g60Qu-tMkspFiVozD0vwuhZ_kDcsrNnVQnR5d8OdusfDn5HWwj2MUDh6o6hMuiUG4dZqvVzCyrr0F_KgdM_qhvgagE8FKf9nfWkTyCExv0BC9dGhzIhGlVfSHRyYvDEcaWjO6e1n6zZmHFfuWNu8fnj8qfO2aKhuHAbnefwgLs4ow3wba-IUD8ZOOpCRWDl4XHNi56c3mM8wwdZNJ12_pcAtA=w810-h608-no

My near neighbor is a sweetheart. She knows I need a dose of Dog now and then. Casey loves coming to visit me cuz he gets dollies to tear up and I get to hug all over him. :D

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

17b-38451-pano.jpg

:) That's why I selected it for the sign off photo last night.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

17b-38451-pano.jpg

I have a similar view from my Willow place, no lake, though.

Back from the postal test. I passed, but apparently it is based on your overall score. They list people from highest to lowest and then they pick. It is wait and see time. Been a very good week so far, looking forward to the next few days and see what gets done or unfolds.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

17b-38451-pano.jpg

But Willow Lake is fairly near your place, yes?

Back from the postal test. I passed, but apparently it is based on your overall score. They list people from highest to lowest and then they pick. It is wait and see time. Been a very good week so far, looking forward to the next few days and see what gets done or unfolds.

When we first moved back to New Mexico, Hombre, a senior master all lines adjuster with all kinds of management experience plus being a licensed insurance agent in two states, applied to head the New Mexico insurance commission, a salaried state position. He went to Santa Fe and took the test and scored the highest percentile ever scored on that test, far surpassing all the others, plus his experience and credentials were the best. He didn't get the job. At that time nepotism and cronyism were rampant and if you didn't 'know somebody' and have some connections, you didn't get hired.

Hopefully the U.S. Post Office is large enough that more objectivity will be applied.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

17b-38451-pano.jpg

But Willow Lake is fairly near your place, yes?
Yup! About 5-6 miles. They use it as a float plane base in the summer and use skis on the planes in the winter. That picture looks like late fall, before it freezes, but it's cold at night and "warm" during the day. Hunting season would be my guess.

When we first moved back to New Mexico, Hombre, a senior master all lines adjuster with all kinds of management experience plus being a licensed insurance agent in two states, applied to head the New Mexico insurance commission, a salaried state position. He went to Santa Fe and took the test and scored the highest percentile ever scored on that test, far surpassing all the others, plus his experience and credentials were the best. He didn't get the job. At that time nepotism and cronyism were rampant and if you didn't 'know somebody' and have some connections, you didn't get hired.

Hopefully the U.S. Post Office is large enough that more objectivity will be applied.
I'm not sure about the USPO, but I can vouch that Homeland Security up here in AK is pretty loaded with good ole boys at the higher levels. When they first started setting things up, I applied for the Asst Director's job for the State of AK. In addition to top-notch training and experience, I had great scores on all their tests. For over a year, they called every couple of weeks to see whether I had changed my mind about the $35,000-yr trainer's job they offered me instead. The Asst Director's job had already been parceled out to someone's political buddy. I've never regretted not taking that piddly job.
I am of the opinion that just about any government job, or government-related job that pays more than peanuts, or (more importantly) carries any degree of power will always be doled out to the highest bidder...forget qualifications.
I do hope Save gets the job he wants, though.

Forum List

Back