USMB Coffee Shop IV

Back from the postal test. I passed, but apparently it is based on your overall score. They list people from highest to lowest and then they pick. It is wait and see time. Been a very good week so far, looking forward to the next few days and see what gets done or unfolds.

When we first moved back to New Mexico, Hombre, a senior master all lines adjuster with all kinds of management experience plus being a licensed insurance agent in two states, applied to head the New Mexico insurance commission, a salaried state position. He went to Santa Fe and took the test and scored the highest percentile ever scored on that test, far surpassing all the others, plus his experience and credentials were the best. He didn't get the job. At that time nepotism and cronyism were rampant and if you didn't 'know somebody' and have some connections, you didn't get hired.

Hopefully the U.S. Post Office is large enough that more objectivity will be applied.
I'm not sure about the USPO, but I can vouch that Homeland Security up here in AK is pretty loaded with good ole boys at the higher levels. When they first started setting things up, I applied for the Asst Director's job for the State of AK. In addition to top-notch training and experience, I had great scores on all their tests. For over a year, they called every couple of weeks to see whether I had changed my mind about the $35,000-yr trainer's job they offered me instead. The Asst Director's job had already been parceled out to someone's political buddy. I've never regretted not taking that piddly job.
I am of the opinion that just about any government job, or government-related job that pays more than peanuts, or (more importantly) carries any degree of power will always be doled out to the highest bidder...forget qualifications.
I do hope Save gets the job he wants, though.

Having a close family member in a high level high security job with the Dept. of Defense--high enough security we aren't allowed to know what security level is involved--I can vouch for people without connections being able to achieve positions of prominence in government based on performance alone. I don't doubt there is still not a lot of nepotism and cronyism that goes on though.

Back from the postal test. I passed, but apparently it is based on your overall score. They list people from highest to lowest and then they pick. It is wait and see time. Been a very good week so far, looking forward to the next few days and see what gets done or unfolds.

When we first moved back to New Mexico, Hombre, a senior master all lines adjuster with all kinds of management experience plus being a licensed insurance agent in two states, applied to head the New Mexico insurance commission, a salaried state position. He went to Santa Fe and took the test and scored the highest percentile ever scored on that test, far surpassing all the others, plus his experience and credentials were the best. He didn't get the job. At that time nepotism and cronyism were rampant and if you didn't 'know somebody' and have some connections, you didn't get hired.

Hopefully the U.S. Post Office is large enough that more objectivity will be applied.
I'm not sure about the USPO, but I can vouch that Homeland Security up here in AK is pretty loaded with good ole boys at the higher levels. When they first started setting things up, I applied for the Asst Director's job for the State of AK. In addition to top-notch training and experience, I had great scores on all their tests. For over a year, they called every couple of weeks to see whether I had changed my mind about the $35,000-yr trainer's job they offered me instead. The Asst Director's job had already been parceled out to someone's political buddy. I've never regretted not taking that piddly job.
I am of the opinion that just about any government job, or government-related job that pays more than peanuts, or (more importantly) carries any degree of power will always be doled out to the highest bidder...forget qualifications.
I do hope Save gets the job he wants, though.

Having a close family member in a high level high security job with the Dept. of Defense--high enough security we aren't allowed to know what security level is involved--I can vouch for people without connections being able to achieve positions of prominence in government based on performance alone. I don't doubt there is still not a lot of nepotism and cronyism that goes on though.
Everything happens for a reason, though. While that HS job I applied for would have more than doubled my income, the one they offered halved it. In the long run, I'm still much happier being a plain, ol' airplane mechanic without political pressures that either job would entail. Plus, I'm not really that into groping strangers...

On our daily walk in Thompson Park yesterday Daisy the Mutt and I ran into a member of the girl's' tennis team at East Liverpool High School. Daisy is the unofficial mascot of the team. They practice and compete on the courts in the park. As we circle the park seeking out squirrels to chase and trash cans to pee upon, we stop to watch the tennis matches. The crowds of family and friends of the athletes call Daisy over for a scratch behind the ears or to share in a snack.

Daisy is always happy to oblige as she is, essentially, a hound who craves attention. I pick her up so she can perform what her groomer calls the 'poodle pump', a waving motion of her front legs that looks as if she is waving hello. We do her almost famous 'stick 'em up! Bang!' trick and the girls love every minute of it.

The tennis player we met last night called Daisy by name and told me that tennis season for the upcoming school year begins August 15. And so back to school season is in full bloom.

We still have plenty of August to plow through yet. But, as I've often said, once we hit those months that end in 'ber' all bets are off. The calendar accelerates and after the balmy weather of September the first hints of frost begin as the leaves change color in October. The Apple crop is brought in and before we know it it's Halloween.

With frightful rapidity we celebrate Thanksgiving and then the unrelenting slide toward Christmas and the New Year. All that seems to happen in a matter of weeks, and it all begins just weeks from now.

I told you about some of my foreign travels as an Environmental Engineer. I had a project in the newly reunified Germany back in 1992. In fact, there were about twenty of us from the same firm in Europe that year. We decided before we left Pittsburgh that we would all rendezvous in Prague on Earth Day weekend.

It was wonderful! We were counted as among the first American tourists in that splendid medieval city. We marveled at the astrological clock in St. Wenceslas square. We laughed about what the Czechs, at that time, considered their most luxurious hotel as it impressed us as the kind of place you had to rent the sheets for the bed. And during our group lunch, we were amazed that a steak, french fries, tossed salad and the coldest beer we had ever had cost us $1.67 in American money. I wanted another beer and got another lunch in the bargain.

But the most incredible part of Prague to me was a pedestrian bridge that served as an open air market. Only a few months before the garrison of Soviet troops occupying Prague was withdrawn back to Russia. The soldiers made a killing, so to speak, selling off their uniforms and army surplus. All these goods were offered on that bridge.

I saw an officer's dress hat, about the size of a turkey platter at one stall. I asked the vendor how much. He spoke as much English as I speak Czech so our negotiation was largely pantomime. I got that he wanted $10 American for the hat. I looked in my wallet and found only a five in American currency. As I was working in Germany and they were still a few years from converting to the Euro, I had plenty of Deutschmarks and even a few French Francs. But only Honest Abe's was a recognizable face on currency.

I was wearing my Pittsburgh Pirates baseball cap and that sweetened the deal. So, for a five and a K-Mart baseball cap, I carried away my Soviet officer's dress hat. It even still had the tag on it featuring Cyrillic letters and some numbers indicating nothing to me.

I walked up to St. Wenceslas square where I saw one of my colleagues approaching. He wore on his head something much grander than my Soviet Army hat. His hat was a gray/silver fur shako. Think of the hats the Wicked Witch of the West's guards wore in The Wizard of Oz. The kind of hats worn by the Coldstream Guards at Buckingham Palace.

This tall lump of silver fur had a red enameled hammer and sickle right above the brow. "Jeez Spence! That's the best hat I've seen all day! Where did you find it?" I asked admiringly.

"Down on that bridge!" he said "There's a guy wearing a Pirate cap selling them for $15 bucks but only in American money!"

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana!!!! (Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant.)
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Sherry and daughter and family,
Hossfly's knee surgery,
ricechickie and BBD for continued wellness,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, and all others we hope will return.

Sunset over East Liverpool OH
15952232180_d6dd38c723_b.jpg

I flew to Rome in an overbooked TWA 747. By the time the stewardesses got back to my row they had run out of pillows. So I snuck to the galley and swiped a roll of paper towels to cushion my sleepy head.

When we landed it was early afternoon local time, about 4:00 am Nosmo Standard time. The car rental counter had plenty of English speakers, so that went well. The car rental was the smoothest thing to happen for the next 48 hours.

My project was in Naples on Naval Air Station Capidomonte where I was to oversee the removal of asbestos ceiling material in the cafeteria of the high school on the base. I checked into the Hotel American across the street from the gate of the Navy base. The hotel desk clerk teased me about my last name. Kidd, like the pirate captain. Nobody has ever made a joke about my name that I haven't already heard.

I went to my room and stretched out on the bed in the room, like most in Naples, without the New World luxury of air conditioning. That was Friday.

In the morning I had a free Saturday on my hands. Sightseeing was the only item on the calendar. Dressed in American tourist clothes I knew I stuck out like a sore thumb. But I wasn't out to impress the Neopolitans. I just wanted some genuine Italian experiences. I had a street map, but not a lot of knowledge about local transportation.

I made my way about half a mile from the hotel when I saw a sidewalk cafe. Breakfast! That's what the boy needs now! I sat down and peruse the bill of fare. I quickly figured out that these Italians were not bacon and eggs folks. Italian breakfasts featured more savory selections. Cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto ham, little wads of buffalo milk mozzarella and a selection of hard rolls is what I ordered.

Munching away in satisfaction I suddenly heard someone in a thick Italian accent calling "Kidd! Kidd!" It was none other than the hotel desk clerk! Somehow I had stumbled into his neighborhood. He sat down and ordered an espresso and volunteered to give me a guided tour of his city.

He took me to the harbor where we saw an Italian bride and groom having their wedding photos made. We had real Italian ice from a street vendor. He showed me a magnificent cathedral and a massive enclosed 19th century shopping mall.

Then we went to an open air bar on top of the terraced city. The view was breathtaking. He ordered a local aperitif flavored with mint. It was like drinking a shot of Scope mouthwash, but, when in Naples (or something like that)

He sat back in his chair and said "Kidd, you know what I like most about America?"

Now, I have travelled a lot in foreign lands and I am always curious about foreigner's impressions of our country. I've heard about admiration of our culture, movies, music, fashion, even television. I've heard about how they love our natural wonders and, believe it or not, our telephone system. But what the desk clerk told me was truly unique.

"What I love about America is ... Debbie Reynolds"

And with that he stood up and gave out with a full throated rendition of Ms. Reynold's 50's song Tammy.

I was understandably embarrassed until the other bar patrons joined in on the chorus. Seems a lot of Neopolitans love Debbie Reynolds too.

Last edited:
And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Hossfly's knee surgery,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, and all others we hope will return.

If only we had a twin spired cathedral, a Ferris wheel and a waterfront so lovely!

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

If only we had a twin spired cathedral, a Ferris wheel and a waterfront so lovely!

You mean you don't? I've never been there but the photo was captioned East Liverpool when I was looking for one last night. Oh dear. Just checked, and that is Liverpool, England!!

:oops-28:

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

You mean you don't? I've never been there but the photo was captioned East Liverpool when I was looking for one last night. Oh dear. Just checked, and that is Liverpool, England!!

Maybe it's Eastern Liverpool.

I flew to Rome in an overbooked TWA 747. By the time the stewardesses got back to my row they had run out of pillows. So I snuck to the galley and swiped a roll of paper towels to cushion my sleepy head.

When we landed it was early afternoon local time, about 4:00 am Nosmo Standard time. The car rental counter had plenty of English speakers, so that went well. The car rental was the smoothest thing to happen for the next 48 hours.

My project was in Naples on Naval Air Station Capidomonte where I was to oversee the removal of asbestos ceiling material in the cafeteria of the high school on the base. I checked into the Hotel American across the street from the gate of the Navy base. The hotel desk clerk teased me about my last name. Kidd, like the pirate captain. Nobody has ever made a joke about my name that I haven't already heard.

I went to my room and stretched out on the bed in the room, like most in Naples, without the New World luxury of air conditioning. That was Friday.

In the morning I had a free Saturday on my hands. Sightseeing was the only item on the calendar. Dressed in American tourist clothes I knew I stuck out like a sore thumb. But I wasn't out to impress the Neopolitans. I just wanted some genuine Italian experiences. I had a street map, but not a lot of knowledge about local transportation.

I made my way about half a mile from the hotel when I saw a sidewalk cafe. Breakfast! That's what the boy needs now! I sat down and peruse the bill of fare. I quickly figured out that these Italians were not bacon and eggs folks. Italian breakfasts featured more savory selections. Cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto ham, little wads of buffalo milk mozzarella and a selection of hard rolls is what I ordered.

Munching away in satisfaction I suddenly heard someone in a thick Italian accent calling "Kidd! Kidd!" It was none other than the hotel desk clerk! Somehow I had stumbled into his neighborhood. He sat down and ordered an espresso and volunteered to give me a guided tour of his city.

He took me to the harbor where we saw an Italian bride and groom having their wedding photos made. We had real Italian ice from a street vendor. He showed me a magnificent cathedral and a massive enclosed 19th century shopping mall.

Then we went to an open air bar on top of the terraced city. The view was breathtaking. He ordered a local aperitif flavored with mint. It was like drinking a shot of Scope mouthwash, but, when in Naples (or something like that)

He sat back in his chair and said "Kidd, you know what I like most about America?"

Now, I have travelled a lot in foreign lands and I am always curious about foreigner's impressions of our country. I've heard about admiration of our culture, movies, music, fashion, even television. I've heard about how they love our natural wonders and, believe it or not, our telephone system. But what the desk clerk told me was truly unique.

"What I love about America is ... Debbie Reynolds"

And with that he stood up and gave out with a full throated rendition of Ms. Reynold's 50's song Tammy.

I was understandably embarrassed until the other bar patrons joined in on the chorus. Seems a lot of Neopolitans love Debbie Reynolds too.

How wonderful. I loved her too and loved that song. :)

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

:)

I've never really been to Ohio but can technically mark it as a state I have visited because I was on a flight once--believe it or not when traveling from Nashville to Kansas city--that changed planes in Cincinnati.

I was working for the Episcopal Diocese of Western Kansas at the time and, because they thought I was pretty good at promotions/communications I was drafted to do some work for the national Episcopal Church as well. (No, I am not Episcopalian but as might have well have been during those years.) Everything in Kansas connected through Kansas City or Wichita at that time and, it being the Church and all, I was especially cost conscious and found the most economical flights when booking trips.

Enroute, Ozark Airlines went on strike and they were the airline to get me from Nashville to St. Louis going home. All the other airlines were honoring our tickets though but some of the routes home were pretty strange. I can't remember what all I flew on or where we went but I do remember that we landed in Cincinnati which was fun because I had never been to Ohio. :)

Last edited:
Midterm is complete. Now I anxiously wait for the grades to be posted.

You're all beautiful people for listening to me fumble and bumble my way through this academic adventure, and for that I say, "thank you!" :beer:

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

I've never really been to Ohio but can technically mark it as a state I have visited because I was on a flight once--believe it or not when traveling from Nashville to Kansas city--that changed planes in Cincinnati.

I was working for the Episcopal Diocese of Western Kansas at the time and, because they thought I was pretty good at promotions/communications I was drafted to do some work for the national Episcopal Church as well. (No, I am not Episcopalian but as might have well have been during those years.) Everything in Kansas connected through Kansas City or Wichita at that time and, it being the Church and all, I was especially cost conscious and found the most economical flights when booking trips.

Enroute, Ozark Airlines went on strike and they were the airline to get me from Nashville to St. Louis going home. All the other airlines were honoring our tickets though but some of the routes home were pretty strange. I can't remember what all I flew on or where we went but I do remember that we landed in Cincinnati which was fun because I had never been to Ohio. :)
I hate to break this to you Foxy but you still haven't been to Ohio.

The Cincinnati airport is in Covington, Kentucky.

Midterm is complete. Now I anxiously wait for the grades to be posted.

You're all beautiful people for listening to me fumble and bumble my way through this academic adventure, and for that I say, "thank you!" :beer:

I bet you did great Sixfoot. And it was our pleasure, sincerely. It has been fun getting to know you a bit here in the Coffee Shop. Is that good looking fellow in your avatar you?

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

Damn. I just looked and you're right. Ah well. I lied on Facebook then. :(

I do remember reading a clip awhile back that some farmer whose land was just under the flight path onto the main runway at the Cincinnati Airport. He had a large barn with an expansive almost flat roof and he painted in huge letters on top of it WELCOME TO CLEVELAND. Freaked out a lot of folks. :)

I do remember reading a clip awhile back that some farmer whose land was just under the flight path onto the main runway at the Cincinnati Airport. He had a large barn with an expansive almost flat roof and he painted in huge letters on top of it WELCOME TO CLEVELAND. Freaked out a lot of folks. :)
When people actually go to Cleveland they're freaked out!

You lied on Facebook?! Isn't that a federal offense?

Or wait, maybe it's a requirement of a Facebook account?

:lol:

It's 77 degrees and 77% humidity, everyone's arthritis is hurting today.
I'm taking it easy today, my lower back, knees, collar bone and hands hurt.
The price you pay for being rather reckless in youth. Like speeding with bicycle.
20 / 20 hindsight so to speak. :eusa_whistle:

The heating mat feels so good.............. :biggrin:

It's 77 degrees and 77% humidity, everyone's arthritis is hurting today.
I'm taking it easy today, my lower back, knees, collar bone and hands hurt.
The price you pay for being rather reckless in youth. Like speeding with bicycle.
20 / 20 hindsight so to speak. :eusa_whistle:

The heating mat feels so good.............. :biggrin:

This reminds me, I've been having a little pain in my right arm of late. It happens mostly when I flex or extend the arm, and the pain is at least in the area of the elbow. It might just be from strain from sitting with my elbow on my chair arm and my hand on a mouse for one of my two PCs too often....but it sparked a worry in me about arthritis. Psoriasis can cause arthritis, so I worry about getting it.

I don't think I did the kind of reckless things in my youth to cause arthritis issues, though. :)

Forum List

Back