USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning folks.....I'm up a tad early this morning. I'm going to a memorial for my best friend's brother-in-law who passed away last Wednesday morning from a heart attack. He was pretty young - 56, so it came as a real surprise. That's the second person that I know that has had a heart attack in the recent past and died from it. I didn't know him very well, in the 8 years that I've known my friend, I had only been around him maybe 7 or 8 times at my friend's parties and other such events. I haven't been able to get all the details because every time I talk to my friend, she starts crying and then I can't understand a word she is telling me. Maybe today I'll find out more. His wife is inconsolable, which is to be expected.

Oy. Thinking of you, [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION].

They just opened a new grocery store less than a quarter mile from my place. The prices are steep for most things but they have one feature I think I'll be using often, they have a growler bar. Yup, a variety of local brews on tap, bring your growler, they wash it out and fill it up. I just hope they don't change out the brews I like too often.
Whelp, time to get horizontal for a few hours before I dash off for another night of fun excitement. Looks like I have three flights assigned. Of course, that an all change with little notice, but an easy night otherwise.
The smoked cheddar is cooling, I'll wax it tomorrow and put it into my aging 'fridge. I've sampled a few crumbs and it is gooo-ood! I surely wish I could share it with my CS friends.

I give up, what' a growler?

It's an environmentally friendly way of acquiring and storing a brewed beverage. Very popular with small, regional-type breweries.

The Growler: Beer-to-Go! | BeerAdvocate

Good morning everybody. Hombre had a sudden onset of something last night--sudden sinus congestion and headache, raw throat, and a cough. So I'm playing nurse today. Why does this stuff always happen on weekends when the doctor's office is closed?

But weather is beautiful with possibility of a shower later. Not so hot today--low 90's which is comfortable for us in July and, if the clouds come up later, the temps will drop back into the 80's quickly. Noticed the humidity was 50% just now--that is unusually high for us.

Ya'll all have a great Saturday.

Pray tell, what do you put on French Fries?

Le moutarde of course... what else?

Now there's a real condiment. Doesn't ruin tomatoes... no sugar.... nice bite... I git me a heapin' dollop o' mustard and then smother it in black pepper. Perfect. :thup:

Other than maybe vinegar, nothing goes on French Fries as good as Ketchup. Mustard is for the hotdog, or sausage.....nix on fries.:puke3:

French fries smothered in brown gravy, even better with onion or mushroom brown gravy!

Le moutarde of course... what else?

Now there's a real condiment. Doesn't ruin tomatoes... no sugar.... nice bite... I git me a heapin' dollop o' mustard and then smother it in black pepper. Perfect. :thup:

Other than maybe vinegar, nothing goes on French Fries as good as Ketchup. Mustard is for the hotdog, or sausage.....nix on fries.:puke3:

French fries smothered in brown gravy, even better with onion or mushroom brown gravy!

Now you're getting dangerously close to poutine...

poutine4.jpg

(recipe here)

I'm not a big fan, but it's not quite as bad as it looks... :eusa_shifty:

Last edited:
Coney Island chili dogs are the best I've ever had. They practically melt in your mouth ... :thup:

here is something strange. I don't like spicy or seasoned food at all. I eat everything very plain. but when it comes to hotdogs, I like these german hotdogs with a bite and mustard with a bite.

Or Polish. I know what you're saying, it's the season for the heritage festivals here and the Polish one is going on now. I pass by there and get a taste for kielbasa and sauerkraut. I don't really care for garlic, onions or spicey foods but that stuff is so good.

I love when I bag a moose, or caribou, of the many things to do with that meat (and there is lots of it!), I like to make moose brats. Add those to my sauerkraut, prepared my special way, make some kartoffel puffer (potato pancakes), and it makes a devine meal.

Good morning, CS gang!
Sorry to see that Hombre is feeling under the weather, Foxy. Maybe the rain fairy will bring some overcast and showers to cool things down for y'all.
I'm getting pretty hungry, with all this food talk. I seem to recall that the Frit stands in Germany would usually serve fries with either maynaise or a red curry sauce. I used to eat 'em with maynaise sometimes, just to see other people's reactions. Of course, I've cut fries almost completely out of my diet now. I usually pass on fried foods...well, except maybe some fresh, beer-battered halibut.
My smoked cheddar will be cooled enough to wax later. One of the guys at work has agreed to trade me some halibut and a salmon filet for a chunk of my cheese. Since I don't often fish, this will be advantageous.
It looks like today will be a rather pleasant day. They're saying the high will be 63-65 with a slight overcast. That's about as warm as I want it to get. I'll have to get home and get my outside chores done early to avoid the hottest part of the day. I don't think I would survive well in 80-90 temps, at least not at first.
I've a bit of time yet before I can clock out and head home. I'll be passing back through the CS off and on. It's always an adventure, seeing what new subject has come up.

here is something strange. I don't like spicy or seasoned food at all. I eat everything very plain. but when it comes to hotdogs, I like these german hotdogs with a bite and mustard with a bite.

Or Polish. I know what you're saying, it's the season for the heritage festivals here and the Polish one is going on now. I pass by there and get a taste for kielbasa and sauerkraut. I don't really care for garlic, onions or spicey foods but that stuff is so good.

I love when I bag a moose, or caribou, of the many things to do with that meat (and there is lots of it!), I like to make moose brats. Add those to my sauerkraut, prepared my special way, make some kartoffel puffer (potato pancakes), and it makes a devine meal.

Ooohhh, that does sound good! Oh wait, I'm a vegetarian...

Oh, and by the way, cows do jump. I have watched them easily clear a 4-foot fence, udders and all, and that was your typical milk cow. Brahmas need at least a 6-foot fence to keep them corraled - 8-foot is better. They do need a running start though. They can't jump from a stationary position like dogs or cats can.

And for this day in history - July 12:

In 1812 the U.S. invaded Canada in the War of 1812. (Both countries got over it though.)

In 1862 the Medal of Honor was authorized by Congress. Since that time there have been more than 3500 recipients of our military's highest honor.

In 1928 the first tennis match was televised. It didn't have much audience though. I was surprised to learn that there was television that early, but apparently the first prototypes were developed in 1909 with the first televised pictures done in 1926. It became commercially viable in the 1940's and was common in most households by the mid to late 1950's.

In 1957 Dwight D. Eisenhower was the first U.S. President to fly in a helicopter.

In 1962 the Rolling Stones performed their first concert at the Marquee Club in London and on this day in 2012 they performed their 50th anniversary concert in the same place.

In 1996 Michael Jordan signed a 1-year contract with the Knicks for $25 million. Its good work if you can get it.

Ooohhh, that does sound good! Oh wait, I'm a vegetarian...

So get some of those tofurkey franks and go for it!

Good morning folks.....I'm up a tad early this morning. I'm going to a memorial for my best friend's brother-in-law who passed away last Wednesday morning from a heart attack. He was pretty young - 56, so it came as a real surprise. That's the second person that I know that has had a heart attack in the recent past and died from it. I didn't know him very well, in the 8 years that I've known my friend, I had only been around him maybe 7 or 8 times at my friend's parties and other such events. I haven't been able to get all the details because every time I talk to my friend, she starts crying and then I can't understand a word she is telling me. Maybe today I'll find out more. His wife is inconsolable, which is to be expected.
My sympathies to you and your friend, Mertex. At a time like this, all you can do is try and comfort your friend as she is no doubt going through a difficult time.

You guys are going too fast, I can't read all these posts. Hope everyone is doing well. We're having a heat wave. It's suppose to get up to 90 today and tomorrow. I realize for some of you that's nothing but for us...well, we have a heat advisory in effect.

Take care all.

Moose brats, devine meal?

draft_lens12461511module112742041photo_1281317463divine-by-eamonn-j-mccabe

Sorry, the dogs are having a hard time catching my gallows sense of humor! :D

Belgian-woman-with-fries-via-AFP-615x345.jpg

frites-somebaudybrusselicious.jpg

The best fries I've every had were from kiosks in Belgium, France and Germany, with mayonaise. The mayonaise is not like American mayonaise, it has mustard and possibly other spices in it.

596191-1873-8.jpg

That is why we are a Miracle Whip family--it has just enough spice in it to give it a zing and adds a pleasant flavor to sandwiches or whatever we use it for. Plain mayonnaise is just too bland and flavorless for me--it just adds fat and calories without adding enjoyment.

Now you're getting dangerously close to poutine...

poutine4.jpg

(recipe here)

I'm not a big fan, but it's not quite as bad as it looks... :eusa_shifty:
Indeed. I'll bet it tastes just as good as it looks! Fries with gravy and cheese curds. All that's missing is some pastrami ... :thup:

Belgian-woman-with-fries-via-AFP-615x345.jpg

frites-somebaudybrusselicious.jpg

The best fries I've every had were from kiosks in Belgium, France and Germany, with mayonaise. The mayonaise is not like American mayonaise, it has mustard and possibly other spices in it.

596191-1873-8.jpg

That is why we are a Miracle Whip family--it has just enough spice in it to give it a zing and adds a pleasant flavor to sandwiches or whatever we use it for. Plain mayonnaise is just too bland and flavorless for me--it just adds fat and calories without adding enjoyment.

I love miracle whip.

Forum List

Back