USMB Coffee Shop IV

You sound like Mr Mertex....I have to keep both Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip cause he prefers Miracle Whip to mayonnaise in everything that calls for mayonnaise. I like mayonnaise better, especially the new one by Kraft that is made with olive oil, it has a wonderful creamy taste. But I draw the line at mayonnaise on French fries.....ketchup, tabasco, maybe even vinegar, but no mayonnaise.:D

I have to admit, I'm mystified by this idea that mayonnaise and Miracle Whip are somehow not the same thing... :dunno:

Mayonnaise, especially my fave, Best Foods, has a tangy flavor. It's called Hellmans, east of the Rockies, and Miracle Whip has a sweet and tangy flavor, or so it is advertised and so it tastes, to me. The only foods I like with anything compared to a sweet taste, in them are desserts or Sweet and Sour chicken. I do love that Chinese way of cooking some foods.

Yeah, I like Mayo, Kraft and also Miracle Whip but I mix the two so it isn't quite so tangy. Those Deviled eggs look really good right now. :)

Le moutarde of course... what else?

Now there's a real condiment. Doesn't ruin tomatoes... no sugar.... nice bite... I git me a heapin' dollop o' mustard and then smother it in black pepper. Perfect. :thup:

Other than maybe vinegar, nothing goes on French Fries as good as Ketchup. Mustard is for the hotdog, or sausage.....nix on fries.:puke3:

French fries smothered in brown gravy, even better with onion or mushroom brown gravy!

Well I must be a regional purist or something because to me french fries and gravy are not compatible. You put gravy on dressing or roast beef or chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken or perfectly seasoned and mashed potatoes.

Belgian-woman-with-fries-via-AFP-615x345.jpg

frites-somebaudybrusselicious.jpg

The best fries I've ever had were from kiosks in Belgium, France and Germany, with mayonaise. The mayonaise is not like American mayonaise, it has mustard and possibly other spices in it.

596191-1873-8.jpg

That is why we are a Miracle Whip family--it has just enough spice in it to give it a zing and adds a pleasant flavor to sandwiches or whatever we use it for. Plain mayonnaise is just too bland and flavorless for me--it just adds fat and calories without adding enjoyment.

I'm not a fan of Miracle Whip, and the mayonaise at these kiosks does not taste anything like it. You can buy it in the market in France, and I have done that, when I've stayed in an apartment in France and made my own fries.

By the way, a warm coffee shop to [MENTION=26616]kaz[/MENTION] who I believe is joining us for the first time this morning. I had to go look to be sure because I was almost sure she had been here before, but she wasn't on the list. She is now. :) So welcome, welcome. And your first timer's complimentary beverage:

th

Other than maybe vinegar, nothing goes on French Fries as good as Ketchup. Mustard is for the hotdog, or sausage.....nix on fries.:puke3:

French fries smothered in brown gravy, even better with onion or mushroom brown gravy!

Well I must be a regional purist or something because to me french fries and gravy are not compatible. You put gravy on dressing or roast beef or chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken or perfectly seasoned and mashed potatoes.

Personally I've never liked gravy at all. On anything.

Some dishes have names that are just inexplicable. "Chicken fried steak" -- You have to actually teach a chicken to cook? Seems like a lotta work. :confused:

Then there are "buffalo wings". Never seen one but they gotta be ginormous if they can get a buffalo off the ground. :eusa_shifty:

The best fries I've ever had were from kiosks in Belgium, France and Germany, with mayonaise. The mayonaise is not like American mayonaise, it has mustard and possibly other spices in it.

596191-1873-8.jpg

That is why we are a Miracle Whip family--it has just enough spice in it to give it a zing and adds a pleasant flavor to sandwiches or whatever we use it for. Plain mayonnaise is just too bland and flavorless for me--it just adds fat and calories without adding enjoyment.

I'm not a fan of Miracle Whip, and the mayonaise at these kiosks does not taste anything like it. You can buy it in the market in France, and I have done that, when I've stayed in an apartment in France and made my own fries.

I meant to add in about France .... in the grocery there I saw what we would call "Russian dressing". In France it's called "Sauce Americain". :cool:

I love when I bag a moose, or caribou, of the many things to do with that meat (and there is lots of it!), I like to make moose brats. Add those to my sauerkraut, prepared my special way, make some kartoffel puffer (potato pancakes), and it makes a devine meal.

Ooohhh, that does sound good! Oh wait, I'm a vegetarian...

So get some of those tofurkey franks and go for it!

I love the vegetarian meats. I do actually eat fish and seafood, but that's the only meat. Have been since 1996.

By the way, a warm coffee shop to [MENTION=26616]kaz[/MENTION] who I believe is joining us for the first time this morning. I had to go look to be sure because I was almost sure she had been here before, but she wasn't on the list. She is now. :) So welcome, welcome. And your first timer's complimentary beverage:

th

[MENTION=26616]kaz[/MENTION]

--- see?

;)

th

Thanks! Delicious.

Who doesn't love deviled eggs?? Although I'd never use anything except Miracle Whip.:banana:

deviled-egg.jpg

You sound like Mr Mertex....I have to keep both Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip cause he prefers Miracle Whip to mayonnaise in everything that calls for mayonnaise. I like mayonnaise better, especially the new one by Kraft that is made with olive oil, it has a wonderful creamy taste. But I draw the line at mayonnaise on French fries.....ketchup, tabasco, maybe even vinegar, but no mayonnaise.:D

I have to admit, I'm mystified by this idea that mayonnaise and Miracle Whip are somehow not the same thing... :dunno:

They definitely are not. Miracle Whip has a sharper tangier taste.

The best fries I've every had were from kiosks in Belgium, France and Germany, with mayonaise. The mayonaise is not like American mayonaise, it has mustard and possibly other spices in it.

596191-1873-8.jpg

FF, you need to try the olive oil mayonnaise from Hellman's, it is definitely better than the plain and better than Miracle Whip.

OK here's the epilogue for those following...

That apparatus I posted pictures of yesterday did its job, and Hobbes is back inna house.

Hobbes inna house!

I had to redo my murky meld of two poles extended with gaff tape and plastic ties and extend the whole thing a few more inches in order to reach the next highest branch, since he refused to take the 3-foot leap to where it was yesterday. Did all that, brought some fresh food for the bowl, and got it to a slightly higher branch which he finally coaxed himself to check out -- but he would only go in halfway (front paws only). I figured this was as close as I was going to get and started moving.

Now I wasn't at all sure how this gangly thing would behave at that extension now that it had seven pounds of unpredictable cat movement in it, but I went ahead and lifted, and managed to get it to the next lowest branch. Hobbes was still hanging his ass out the side of the basket. Now comes the rest of the journey -- no more branches as pit stops on the way down.

There really wasn't a way to detelescope the thing so it just had to swing in an arc from vertical down to horizontal. It took all my strength to keep it from swaying completely over to the side and down from way up there, which would not have been good (for one thing there are lots of locust saplings below with extremely sharp thorns). And I'm still on the stepladder doing all this in order to reach the height where he was.

I get it stabilized and start lowering until the bottom of the pole touched the ground and the only thing left to do was swing in an arc as far as I could while still keeping him horizontal. By the time he and the bowl dumped out, he was maybe 8 feet above the ground -- and true to feline form he landed squarely on all fours, no shock at all. Would that there were YouTube of this, it would have looked hilarious.

The makeshift double pole was by then separating and starting to tear itself apart from this lateral force. Not quite, but it started. I could just take it the rest of the way apart but something tells me I should reassemble and reinforce it for, you know...

He got good and drenched last night in a torrential downpour. Now he's scoping out soft places to sleep. Perchance to dream. Now that that's done I can go get acquainted with my new chainsaw.
smiley-violent006.gif

Last edited:
OK here's the epilogue for those following...

That apparatus I posted pictures of yesterday did its job, and Hobbes is back inna house.

Hobbes inna house!

I had to redo my murky meld of two poles extended with gaff tape and plastic ties and extend the whole thing a few more inches in order to reach the next highest branch, since he refused to take the 3-foot leap to where it was yesterday. Did all that, brought some fresh food for the bowl, and got it to a slightly higher branch which he finally coaxed himself to check out -- but he would only go in halfway (front paws only). I figured this was as close as I was going to get and started moving.

Now I wasn't at all sure how this gangly thing would behave at that extension now that it had seven pounds of unpredictable cat movement in it, but I went ahead and lifted, and managed to get it to the next lowest branch. Hobbes was still hanging his ass out the side of the basket. Now comes the rest of the journey -- no more branches as pit stops on the way down.

There really wasn't a way to detelescope the thing so it just had to swing in an arc from vertical down to horizontal. It took all my strength to keep it from swaying completely over to the side and down from way up there, which would not have been good (for one thing there are lots of locust saplings below with extremely sharp thorns). And I'm still on the stepladder doing all this in order to reach the height where he was.

I get it stabilized and start lowering until the bottom of the pole touched the ground and the only thing left to do was swing in an arc as far as I could while still keeping him horizontal. By the time he and the bowl dumped out, he was maybe 8 feet above the ground -- and true to feline form he landed squarely on all fours, no shock at all. Would that there were YouTube of this, it would have looked hilarious.

The makeshift double pole was by then separating and starting to tear itself apart from this lateral force. Not quite, but it started. I could just take it the rest of the way apart but something tells me I should reassemble and reinforce it for, you know...

He got good and drenched last night in a torrential downpour. Now he's scoping out soft places to sleep. Perchance to dream. Now that that's done I can go get acquainted with my new chainsaw.
smiley-violent006.gif

How about some Hobbes barriers around the taller trees? Stiff plastic wrapped around the trees so he cannot climb beyond 8' up?

So get some of those tofurkey franks and go for it!

I love the vegetarian meats. I do actually eat fish and seafood, but that's the only meat. Have been since 1996.

I think Kaz does what I do -- don't eat anything that has a mother. There's a word for that, I forget what it is.

Are you thinking of the Jewish term "Kashrut?" Jews cannot eat meat that was "boiled in it's mother's milk," they take that to mean mixing meat and cheese. However, they can eat a tuna melt because as you say a tuna doesn't have a mother.

I'm not Jewish, but I have Jewish friends. One showed me a bunch of great Jewish restaurants in New York that have fish but no other meats.

I'm not Jewish and it has nothing to do with why I only eat fish and seafood, but it did work out for me.

I think Kaz does what I do -- don't eat anything that has a mother. There's a word for that, I forget what it is.

Are you thinking of the Jewish term "Kashrut?" Jews cannot eat meat that was "boiled in it's mother's milk," they take that to mean mixing meat and cheese. However, they can eat a tuna melt because as you say a tuna doesn't have a mother.

I'm not Jewish, but I have Jewish friends. One showed me a bunch of great Jewish restaurants in New York that have fish but no other meats.

I'm not Jewish and it has nothing to do with why I only eat fish and seafood, but it did work out for me.

No, not thinking of that -- it's one-a them 'lacto-ovo-drinko-vegan' terms.

I simply cut out beef and pork, and years later I heard B.B. King of all people say "I don't eat anything that has a mother" and I thought about it and said, 'hey, me too'. For me it's got nothing to do with whether or not an animal has a live birth; it just worked out that way.

Forum List

Back