USMB Coffee Shop IV

So get some of those tofurkey franks and go for it!

I love the vegetarian meats. I do actually eat fish and seafood, but that's the only meat. Have been since 1996.

I tried being a vegetarian once, I got pretty sickly. Some folks are just meant to eat meat. There are some theories out about blood type and the kinds of foods best suited for your diet.

I tried too. But my letter writing campaign to the USDA to get pigs reclassified as vegetable failed. Miserably.

I just got a call from Pat's mother. Apparently she's tried to end it during the night. But when her mother found her she was still breathing, which it looks like was not her intention.

She's in the hospital now getting brain scans. Waiting for more information to come through. It's going to fall to me to tell them what to do in the event she's incapacitated. I hope I have the wisdom to do the right thing.

Good luck, Pogo. That will be a tough decision. You seem man enough to handle it, though.

Oh, if only...

10334279_10154301053125203_62704825105095980_n.jpg

That was worth the laugh! Thanks.

FF, you need to try the olive oil mayonnaise from Hellman's, it is definitely better than the plain and better than Miracle Whip.

Do you guys fry your potatoes in olive oil? It does make a difference.

I've never tried that....I do like to saute vegetables in olive oil for veggie omelets....but I have never tried frying potatoes in olive oil....I may have to try that soon.

I use olive oil exclusively for cooking...unless a recipe calls for some other type of oil. For deep frying, use the regular type, not "extra virgin".

I love the vegetarian meats. I do actually eat fish and seafood, but that's the only meat. Have been since 1996.

I tried being a vegetarian once, I got pretty sickly. Some folks are just meant to eat meat. There are some theories out about blood type and the kinds of foods best suited for your diet.

I tried too. But my letter writing campaign to the USDA to get pigs reclassified as vegetable failed. Miserably.

My husband and I don't eat meat at every meal, but I'm certainly not going to give up Filet Mignon. I love chicken prepared in so many different ways, I couldn't see myself depriving myself of any of that. Eating responsibly takes discipline, sometimes it's okay to allow yourself something frivolous just for the heck of it.....like a Banana Split.....or Cheesecake.

Oh, I forgot....I love bacon, too.

That is why we are a Miracle Whip family--it has just enough spice in it to give it a zing and adds a pleasant flavor to sandwiches or whatever we use it for. Plain mayonnaise is just too bland and flavorless for me--it just adds fat and calories without adding enjoyment.

FF, you need to try the olive oil mayonnaise from Hellman's, it is definitely better than the plain and better than Miracle Whip.

Do you guys fry your potatoes in olive oil? It does make a difference.

We use nothing but Olive oil in my house...

Canola and olive oil with the occasional peanut oil.

Peanut oil is great and it smells so good. Sometimes I cook with it just so my guests (kids) will be impressed. It's a very different delicious smell.

Every time I refer to using Canola oil (which is my primary oil) I expect someone to chime in with the urban myths surrounding the oil. It's amazing what people will come up with. :lol:

Olive oil for me. And miracle whip in tuna for a tuna san is delish! Also spread on toast before making a grilled cheese. Gives it that zip zap that mayo doesn't have.

I just got a call from Pat's mother. Apparently she's tried to end it during the night. But when her mother found her she was still breathing, which it looks like was not her intention.

She's in the hospital now getting brain scans. Waiting for more information to come through. It's going to fall to me to tell them what to do in the event she's incapacitated. I hope I have the wisdom to do the right thing.
My prayers are with you, Pogo. Hope all turns out ok.

Peanut oil is great and it smells so good. Sometimes I cook with it just so my guests (kids) will be impressed. It's a very different delicious smell.

Every time I refer to using Canola oil (which is my primary oil) I expect someone to chime in with the urban myths surrounding the oil. It's amazing what people will come up with. :lol:

:lol:

Rapeseed jokes are never funny :eusa_hand:

We use extra virgin olive oil (yellow/greenish color) for everything except frying or deep frying (ie salads, stir fry, baking, sauces, marinades ...etc). For frying or deep frying, we use either sunflower oil, or light colored olive oil (not extra virgin).

Before I say goodnight to all who gather here....I'll be gone tomorrow, probably all day. Mr Mertex and I are joining our motorcycle group for a bike ride.....we're going to someone's house to eat.... These rides are usually a lot of fun....so I'll see ya tomorrow afternoon. I also want to thank you all for the nice thoughts and wishes for my friend's brother-in-law. The memorial was very nice. It was very informal.....he owned a firing range and it was held there. Some of his friends and patrons put on a demonstration for us in his honor. It was very moving.

th

Last edited:
Finally went to get those shoes that I forgot about yesterday, lol. And came away with more clothes. Damn Kmart having such good stuff, at such an affordable price!

Forum List

Back