USMB Coffee Shop IV

I love the vegetarian meats. I do actually eat fish and seafood, but that's the only meat. Have been since 1996.

I tried being a vegetarian once, I got pretty sickly. Some folks are just meant to eat meat. There are some theories out about blood type and the kinds of foods best suited for your diet.

Eating fish makes it a lot easier. I don't eat fish with every meal, not even the majority of meals. But having fish a couple times a week makes it a lot easier to not worry about a lot of things you have to worry about if you don't.

I'm not an animal rights activist and I don't care what other people eat, I just like the diet.

^^^^ Hear! Hear!

I'm gonna start a thread in the Sports section about this, but today is a monumental day for Germans, you can feel it in the air, and I felt like sharing here among friends first.

Tonight, at 21:00 German-Time (16:00 in Argentina), the final game will be played:

Deutschland : Argentinien
(Alemania : Argentina)
(Germany : Argentina)

It's a pretty monumental day, for this is the first time since 1954 (Bern, Switzerland) where the German team is really this close to winning the World Cup. In fact, they won in 1954 and to this day, Germans call it the "Wonder of Bern" ("Das Wunder von Bern")

Here some screenshots of the announcements for today:

For the first time, such a sporting event will be filmed in a newer version of 360-degree, Ultra-HD. Should be interesting to watch.

Here's an article over the filming technology:

FIFA WM-Finale wird in bahnbrechendem 360° Ultra HD gefilmt - FIFA.com

Germans are generally very reluctant to hang the German flag for much of anything. They don't celebrate an Independence Day as we do, and based on the terrible history of 1933-1945, they tend to avoid signs of nationalism, but for the Weltmeisterschaft in Fußball (Soccer World Cup), the flags come out. I bet that a lot of our members who served in the US military and were stationed in Germany, like [MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15726]Hossfly[/MENTION] and [MENTION=31362]gallantwarrior[/MENTION], can confirm this.

Cafes all over where I live are trying to outdo each other in offering special prices for meals and they have huge flatscreens all over the place for the game.

So, I bet you know what I'm gonna be doing tonight!!! Should be a great game.

BTW, most Brasilians are crossing their fingers FOR the Germans, since their arch-rival Argentina made it into the finale and they didn't. It would have been interesting had Holland made it into the finale, because guess who Germany's arch-rival is in Soccer?? :lol:

Unterstützung im Maracanã-Stadion: Brasilianer drücken Deutschen die Daumen - N24.de

:D

Wait a minute.....I remember watching Germany beat the Netherlands in 1974........ Sat there with my German Father in Law and laughed my ass off at how exited he was....Didn't understand most of the game but it was a riot watching Hermann.......

Half-right. WEST Germany won that one. Since the unification, a whole Germany has not won one. There is a significant difference, here. But you are right, I forgot '74, it just doesn't stick in the minds of people quite like '54 does.

:)

The only significant difference I see is that it would have been even harder since they didn't have the Eastern portion of the country to draw players from. But West Germany was entirely in Germany, so I don't see any way Germany doesn't get credit for not playing the whole team they would have played if East Germans had played for them.

I tried being a vegetarian once, I got pretty sickly. Some folks are just meant to eat meat. There are some theories out about blood type and the kinds of foods best suited for your diet.

I tried too. But my letter writing campaign to the USDA to get pigs reclassified as vegetable failed. Miserably.

My husband and I don't eat meat at every meal, but I'm certainly not going to give up Filet Mignon. I love chicken prepared in so many different ways, I couldn't see myself depriving myself of any of that. Eating responsibly takes discipline, sometimes it's okay to allow yourself something frivolous just for the heck of it.....like a Banana Split.....or Cheesecake.

Oh, I forgot....I love bacon, too.

A lot of people have told me they could picture being vegetarian if it wasn't for bacon...

Like I mentioned, I'm not trying to convert anyone, just my taste. I have two daughters, one is vegetarian, one is not. I didn't try to sway them either way.

I'm gonna start a thread in the Sports section about this, but today is a monumental day for Germans, you can feel it in the air, and I felt like sharing here among friends first.

Tonight, at 21:00 German-Time (16:00 in Argentina), the final game will be played:

Deutschland : Argentinien
(Alemania : Argentina)
(Germany : Argentina)

It's a pretty monumental day, for this is the first time since 1954 (Bern, Switzerland) where the German team is really this close to winning the World Cup. In fact, they won in 1954 and to this day, Germans call it the "Wonder of Bern" ("Das Wunder von Bern")

Here some screenshots of the announcements for today:

For the first time, such a sporting event will be filmed in a newer version of 360-degree, Ultra-HD. Should be interesting to watch.

Here's an article over the filming technology:

FIFA WM-Finale wird in bahnbrechendem 360° Ultra HD gefilmt - FIFA.com

Germans are generally very reluctant to hang the German flag for much of anything. They don't celebrate an Independence Day as we do, and based on the terrible history of 1933-1945, they tend to avoid signs of nationalism, but for the Weltmeisterschaft in Fußball (Soccer World Cup), the flags come out. I bet that a lot of our members who served in the US military and were stationed in Germany, like [MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15726]Hossfly[/MENTION] and [MENTION=31362]gallantwarrior[/MENTION], can confirm this.

Cafes all over where I live are trying to outdo each other in offering special prices for meals and they have huge flatscreens all over the place for the game.

So, I bet you know what I'm gonna be doing tonight!!! Should be a great game.

BTW, most Brasilians are crossing their fingers FOR the Germans, since their arch-rival Argentina made it into the finale and they didn't. It would have been interesting had Holland made it into the finale, because guess who Germany's arch-rival is in Soccer?? :lol:

Unterstützung im Maracanã-Stadion: Brasilianer drücken Deutschen die Daumen - N24.de

:D

Wait a minute.....I remember watching Germany beat the Netherlands in 1974........ Sat there with my German Father in Law and laughed my ass off at how exited he was....Didn't understand most of the game but it was a riot watching Hermann.......

Half-right. WEST Germany won that one. Since the unification, a whole Germany has not won one. There is a significant difference, here. But you are right, I forgot '74, it just doesn't stick in the minds of people quite like '54 does.

:)
The game today will have it' s fair share of rivalries. Being a Catholic, I couldn't help but notice that Pope Francis and Pope Benedict will be rooting for different teams. This is only normal since one hails from Argentina and the other from Germany. I'm sure it's a friendly rivalry though ... :)

The game today will have it' s fair share of rivalries. Being a Catholic, I couldn't help but notice that Pope Francis and Pope Benedict will be rooting for different teams. This is only normal since one hails from Argentina and the other from Germany. I'm sure it's a friendly rivalry though ... :)

I'm primarily English, German and Dutch, so I'll be obviously rooting for Germany in this one. My most recent direct ancestor to come over was my Great Grandmother who came from Prussia in the late 1800s because she didn't want her sons being sucked into what she saw as an aggressive German war machine. She called that one right!

My family also goes back to the Adams family. That's as in "John" not "Gomez," note the one d... I'm not a direct descendant of John, I'm descended from his grandfather or great grandfather, I'm not sure which. My great grandmother was an Adams though.

I also had a great grandfather in the civil war. As was common at the time, he joined before he was 18. What they did so they did not "lie" was they wrote "18" on the bottom of their shoe. When they asked him his age, he said, "I stand over 18." That was good enough for them, they needed troops. I also had a grandfather in WWII, an uncle in during Vietnam and my brother and cousin were in Gulf War I.

Last edited:

I don't know. I live in The Triangle of North Carolina and there are a lot of couples here who have to watch Duke play UNC on different TVs because they get too upset at each other if they don't. Could be a lot of repenting in the Vatican tomorrow...

Good morning all. Hombre is still poorly after a bad night but doesn't seem to be worse so hopefully he'll last until the doctor's office opens tomorrow. I'm guessing it is nothing serious though--not really running any fever and his appetite is pretty good. Needless to say no church for us today though.

Good luck to Noomi in her upcoming tourney and project to get to the big one. Exciting times.

We will be one of those watching Germany play today and yes, though we have no practical stake in either team, we emotionally come down on the side of Germany.

Conditions are good for some more monsoon rain today so we're hoping some of that makes it over our house.

Okay, more coffee. . . . .

Good morning all. Hombre is still poorly after a bad night but doesn't seem to be worse so hopefully he'll last until the doctor's office opens tomorrow. I'm guessing it is nothing serious though--not really running any fever and his appetite is pretty good. Needless to say no church for us today though.

Good luck to Noomi in her upcoming tourney and project to get to the big one. Exciting times.

We will be one of those watching Germany play today and yes, though we have no practical stake in either team, we emotionally come down on the side of Germany.

Conditions are good for some more monsoon rain today so we're hoping some of that makes it over our house.

Okay, more coffee. . . . .

Hey, best wishes for Hombre, prayers that he gets to feeling better very quickly.

As they say in Germany: "gute Besserung".

Thinking of you.

And on this day in history:

1787 - Congress establishes Northwest Territory and excludes slavery effectively making it illegal for any territory or state not already a slave state to become one. Also the ordinance of 1787 established that territories of the USA could become 3 to 5 states once they reached 60,000 population. (Have you ever wished you could have sat in on some of those discussions/debates as they figured out stuff like that?)

1832 -Source of Mississippi River discovered, Henry R. Schoolcraf (anybody surprised that it took somebody that long?)

1939 - Frank Sinatra made his recording debut. Ol' Blue Eyes continued to perform until the late 1990's until his unexpected death in 1998. Named Performer of the Century in 2000. He was honestly never one of my favorites, but there was definitely something about him.

1945 1st atom bomb explodes in New Mexico. I wasn't there but those who were said it was really loud.

1973 – Alexander Butterfield reveals the existence of the "Nixon tapes" to the special Senate committee investigating the Watergate break in. And what was a 3rd Rate Burglary investigation became a full blown investigation of the Nixon Administration that would drive him from office.

1978 - The BBC bans Sex Pistols "No One is Innocent" (Now be honest. How many of you are now looking for a copy of it on the internet. :))

1979 - California's Nolan Ryan and Boston's Steve Renko each lose no-hitters in 9th. Sigh.

1985 - "Live Aid" concert raises over $70 million for African famine relief. (Probably a bit before some of your times, but this was a really big deal with many different countries from Australia to Asia to most of Europe, even Russia, staging concerts in the effort.

1994 - O. J. Simpson, charged with murder, gives hair samples for testing. From the slow police chase of that Bronco prior to his arrest to the final verdict, this is probably the most famous trial ever televised and most old enough to have watched still remember it vividly.

Ya'll have probably seen this or something similar, but I think it is interesting:

10338331_833034970059030_2462456783199790375_n.png

[MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION] Please add my father in law in Germany to the prayer list. He's not doing well at all. And it just so happens that Mrs. Blood's passport is expiring and the closest German consulate is in Atlanta.

Up and busy already. Got up a little late so I shot down two mugs of coffee and ran to Stuff-Mart before the after church crowd arrived. Got out just as it was beginning to get crowded. :thup:
Now I'm relaxing for a little while with the rest of my coffee before starting the other chores.

Ya'll have probably seen this or something similar, but I think it is interesting:

10338331_833034970059030_2462456783199790375_n.png

Not only do I have a strong mind I'm strong........ as in ripe...... I need a shower......
Lot's of rain with very high humidity for the area over the last couple of days........ After a couple of years out here we're no longer accustomed to humidity, kinda weird feeling "sticky" again.

[MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION] Please add my father in law in Germany to the prayer list. He's not doing well at all. And it just so happens that Mrs. Blood's passport is expiring and the closest German consulate is in Atlanta.

She can obtain a temporary travel permit while the passport is being renewed. Positive thoughts for the Bloodrock family on their way.

Ask if they have an emergency passport renewal process. Some of the foreign consulates provide this service.

My prayers are with you and your family, Bloodrock.

Thought for a Sunday!

Those-Who-Bring-Sunshine-Into-The-Lives-Of-Funny-Kids-Health-Care-Insurance-Quotes-And-Sayings.jpg

To be honest the person who who first sprang to mind when I read this was Foxy! :)

Have done so Bloodrock. And maybe if you can get to the consulate, they can expedite things? (I'm hoping Germany might be more compassionate in such a process for humanitarian reasons than the U.S. Passport system allows.)

Sorry Blood....

Sending good thoughts to you and your family. :)

I can read it fine foxfire, but my eyes are tired now.

Did those poor people camping on the rock face get down yet? How did the bears do?

Forum List

Back