USMB Coffee Shop IV

IMG_1155.jpg

;)

Wow, slow day in the Coffee Shop today. Like crickets in here. :) I do hope that's because everybody is happily busy. I sure have been.

Was just looking at Accuweather's white Christmas historical probability report for this year and was surprised at how many of us have at least some kind of chance:

I gave my two weeks notice. Now I will start looking for a new job. I hope I find a better work environment.

Wow, slow day in the Coffee Shop today. Like crickets in here. :) I do hope that's because everybody is happily busy. I sure have been.

Was just looking at Accuweather's white Christmas historical probability report for this year and was surprised at how many of us have at least some kind of chance:

I gave my two weeks notice. Now I will start looking for a new job. I hope I find a better work environment.

You are fourteen days closer to opportunity. I have been waiting five weeks to be able to show up to work. Should be soon.

You are fourteen days closer to opportunity. I have been waiting five weeks to be able to show up to work. Should be soon.

That has to be so frustrating but yes, hopefully soon. And I will hope that it is worth the wait.

Good for you. Dreading each day is no way to live. And we will be pulling for you to find a job that you look forward to each day.

Well, I appreciate both of you. I still have to be there for 2 weeks, and I am just praying God will unfold the right job environment for me.

Thanks for all the support I have been really stressed out for MONTHS!

Last edited:
Well, I appreciate both of you. I still have to be there for 2 weeks, and I am just praying God will unfold the right job environment for me.

So...talk with us sooner next time. Seems like God provides more stress and less patience than I could use most of the time. I try to keep my eye on finding a couple of things that were good in each day and thanking Him for it. Those things however small do add up.

So...talk with us sooner next time. Seems like God provides more stress and less patience than I could use most of the time. I try to keep my eye on finding a couple of things that were good in each day and thanking Him for it. Those things however small do add up.

Group Hug :huddle:

The Advent season marches on and we are less than three weeks from Christmas. The houses around here are flowing with lights and inflatable Santas and snowmen. The flow starts up around 5:00 pm as it is pitch black by that early hour. If Daisy the Mutt and I haven't wrapped up our daily activities by 3:30, we don't enjoy enough daylight to get outside.

This Sunday, by way of a Christmas gift, I'm taking Mom and my brother and his wife to tour the Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens. The mansion was built by John Seinerlimg who founded Firestone Tire in Akron. It is a magnificent Tudor mansion that is lavishly decorated for the Yuletide.

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

The tour begins at 5:00 so watching my beloved Steelers will be by the magic of the DVR.

Last edited:
The Advent season marches on and we are less than three weeks from Christmas. The houses around here are flowing with lights and inflatable Santas and snowmen. The flow starts up around 5:00 pm as it is pitch black by that early hour. If Daisy the Mutt and I haven't wrapped up our daily activities by 3:30, we don't enjoy enough daylight to get outside.

This Sunday, by way of a Christmas gift, I'm taking Mom and my brother and his wife to tour the Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens. The mansion was built by John Seinerlimg who founded Firestone Tire in Akron. It is a magnificent Tudor mansion that is lavishly decorated for the Yuletide.

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

The tour begins at 5:00 so watching my beloved Steelers will be by the magic of the DVR.

Oh my Nosmo. How elegantly gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. I am posting the specific photos you linked and there are a lot more at the site itself.

12a9d2337c9b289183dd42c169e16e82.jpg

Great-Hall-2.jpg

deckthehalljpg-7feb4bb8cf607bba.jpg

Have you guys been watching the Great Christmas Light Fight on ABC, 8 to 10 pacific and eastern on Monday nights? The 2017 first and second episodes were aired last night and 3 and 4 will be aired December 11. People enter their displays for consideration in the competition and, if accepted, compete against three other competitors. The winners of the competition in each episode get a trophy and $50k, but the light displays are absolutely incredible and no doubt take weeks to set up. I'm sure television doesn't really do them justice. Some are gorgeous and stunningly beautiful and some strike me as sort of "Christmas Vacation" kind of messy and gawdy.

From last year's competition:

maxresdefault.jpg

landscape_uktv-the-great-christmas-light-fight-02.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic7.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Good Tuesday morning! I am almost done with my Christmas shopping. I just have to pick up a couple of gift certificates and maybe some wrapping paper. I have to check on my supply of wrapping paper to make sure I have enough!

d7b9e92e53616ee2e0d2c90d544bfc84-tuesday-greetings-happy-tuesday-min-300x300.jpg

I only have one present to buy now, and that is for my sister, who is the only family I have left.. I looked for a single sheet of Christmas paper but could not find one so I had to buy a roll. Now my sister will get the same Christmas paper for the next five years.

Have you guys been watching the Great Christmas Light Fight on ABC, 8 to 10 pacific and eastern on Monday nights. The 2017 first and second episodes were aired last night and 3 and 4 will be aired December 11. People enter their displays for consideration in the competition and, if accepted, compete against three other competitors. The winners of the competition in each episode get a trophy and $50k, but the light displays are absolutely incredible and no doubt take weeks to set up. I'm sure television doesn't really do them justice. Some are gorgeous and stunningly beautiful and some strike me as sort of "Christmas Vacation" kind of messy and gawdy.

maxresdefault.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic7.png

maxresdefault.jpg
I visited my Brooklyn friend once for Christmas. Of course I wanted to see Rockefeller Centerand its Christmas tree. Directly across from that tree stands Saks Fifth Avenue and the most ostentatious Christmas window displays on the planet.

But what I did not know about was the tradition in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Dyker Heights. The folks in this well to do neighborhood hire bespoke Christmas house decorating companies to do up their homes for the holidays. Traffic backs up along the streets. Crowds of holiday gawkers prowl the sidewalks. Street vendors offering hot chocolate and coffee and dirty water hot dogs take positions at the intersections.

We drove at a snail's pace wondering at the extent of the lights and animations and amplified music streaming from House after house. There were, at some homes, little yard signs instructing motorists to tune their AM car radios to certain frequencies or enjoy the choreographed light and music shows. Tens of thousands of dollars are spent on each of these houses!

Meanwhile, here at the Crotch of the Tri-State area, a few icicle light strands and ground mounted flood lights do the job very nicely.

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

Oh my Nosmo. How elegantly gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. I am posting the specific photos you linked and there are a lot more at the site itself.

12a9d2337c9b289183dd42c169e16e82.jpg

Great-Hall-2.jpg

deckthehalljpg-7feb4bb8cf607bba.jpg
I've been to Stan Hywet before, but not at Christmas. There is a ballroom in which the Siberling's entertained three or four hundred of their closest friends. That alone is impressive enough, but the engineer in me found the antichamber to the ballroom more fascinating. The antichamber, where the hosts greeted their guests, is a round room about twenty feet in diameter. The ceiling there is a domed plaster ornate affair. The antichamber, it is said, is so acoustically perfect that a forty piece orchestra can be playing full tilt, yet in the antichamber, conversations could be held at a whisper.

Last edited:
Good Tuesday morning! I am almost done with my Christmas shopping. I just have to pick up a couple of gift certificates and maybe some wrapping paper. I have to check on my supply of wrapping paper to make sure I have enough!

d7b9e92e53616ee2e0d2c90d544bfc84-tuesday-greetings-happy-tuesday-min-300x300.jpg

I only have one present to buy now, and that is for my sister, who is the only family I have left.. I looked for a single sheet of Christmas paper but could not find one so I had to buy a roll. Now my sister will get the same Christmas paper for the next five years.

Since our family has cut back on gift giving--one per person or household now instead of lots and lots--we haven't bought any Christmas wrap in years. So yeah, our packages have a familiarity about them. :)

Blast and damn, my phone line has a problem of extreme crackling on the phone, and my internet keeps dropping out. What is worse there are very few telephone boxes working anymore because most people have mobile phones. So I am going to have a problem ringing up to report the fault.

Have you guys been watching the Great Christmas Light Fight on ABC, 8 to 10 pacific and eastern on Monday nights. The 2017 first and second episodes were aired last night and 3 and 4 will be aired December 11. People enter their displays for consideration in the competition and, if accepted, compete against three other competitors. The winners of the competition in each episode get a trophy and $50k, but the light displays are absolutely incredible and no doubt take weeks to set up. I'm sure television doesn't really do them justice. Some are gorgeous and stunningly beautiful and some strike me as sort of "Christmas Vacation" kind of messy and gawdy.

maxresdefault.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic7.png

maxresdefault.jpg
I visited my Brooklyn friend once for Christmas. Of course I wanted to see Rockefeller Centerand its Christmas tree. Directly across from that tree stands Saks Fifth Avenue and the most ostentatious Christmas window displays on the planet.

But what I did not know about was the tradition in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Dyker Heights. The folks in this well to do neighborhood hire bespoke Christmas house decorating companies to do up their homes for the holidays. Traffic backs up along the streets. Crowds of holiday gawkers prowl the sidewalks. Street vendors offering hot chocolate and coffee and dirty water hot dogs take positions at the intersections.

We drove at a snail's pace wondering at the extent of the lights and animations and amplified music streaming from House after house. There were, at some homes, little yard signs instructing motorists to tune their AM car radios to certain frequencies or enjoy the choreographed light and music shows. Tens of thousands of dollars are spent on each of these houses!

Meanwhile, here at the Crotch of the Tri-State area, a few icicle light strands and ground mounted flood lights do the job very nicely.

There are some neighborhoods that go all out with Christmas displays here in Albuquerque and those fairly close to down town/Old Town are usually included in the city sponsored "Candelaria tours" on Christmas Eve--most regular routes aren't running and you buy tickets to ride on city busses to see all of it. The ultimate go to place for candelaria (farolito) displays is of course the Old Town Plaza. And they are the real deal too--paper bags weighted with sand and a real candle flickering inside. Absolutely gorgeous.

oldtown.jpg

And the ultimate go to place is the "River of Lights" display in the Albuquerque Botanical Gardens next to our amazing Rio Grande Zoo. Millions of lights and listed as among the 15 most spectacular displays in the nation. Requires a pretty long walk through but is worth it and, like the candelaria displays, pictures really don't capture what it is really like to be there.
albuquerque-river-of-lights-02.jpg

river-of-lights-33.jpg

River-Of-Lights-2016-7-1.jpg

Albuquerque-River-of-Lights-26.jpg

Blast and damn, my phone line has a problem of extreme crackling on the phone, and my internet keeps dropping out. What is worse there are very few telephone boxes working anymore because most people have mobile phones. So I am going to have a problem ringing up to report the fault.

Can you borrow a neighbor's phone?

Forum List

Back