USMB Coffee Shop IV

LOL. Just reading the thread today you would think Chris and Montro are sister brother from different mothers. :)

We love pretty much all canned greens--turnip, collard, spinach--with a little salt and pepper and Hombre adds a touch of hot sauce if we have it. Even better if we buy fresh greens and cook our own. Fresh spinach salad is okay, but I honestly prefer plain old crisp iceberg lettuce in my salad. (Yes I know the other greens have much more nutritional content but iceberg lettuce isn't unhealthy and we all have our little vices. :) )

I love properly prepared liver and onions but Hombre won't touch them--he doesn't like cooked onions and he can't stand liver. But since he won't eat it, I have to get my liver and onions fix when we go out. Furrs Fresh Buffet here does a decent job with that.

Molasses is one of those things I think people either like or they don't with no middle ground. I never heard of using it for reflux though. Honey, especially raw honey, and apple cider vinegar properly mixed in hot water is a good remedy for reflux and some other things.

I don't think molasses is melted brown sugar though. It is what is left over from the sugar cane or sugar beet after the refining process that creates white granulated or powdered sugar. Thus it has some fiber, vitamins, minerals etc. that white sugar does not. The sulphured molasses is more bitter and less sweet than the unsulphured molasses. The sulphur dioxide gives it a longer shelf life but most people prefer the less strong flavor of the unsulphured kind.

Brown sugar, on the other hand, has its own unique flavor but it is just refined white sugar with some molasses added back in.

Last edited:
Now one food that is super high fiber that many people dislike, including me, is hummus. I should say dislike on it's own but Sabra makes a Supremely Spicy version that I eat with tortilla chips and everyone who hates hummus but has tried this loves it.

I'm not sure if I've tried hummus, but it doesn't sound tempting. I'm not a big spicy food fan, either.....even before the reflux. :D

I was pickier as a child, but I like to try new things now, and some of the things I wouldn't try as a child are very good, and so are some things that I never liked as a child.

I was a lot pickier as a kid than I am now--I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food but I don't think I am a snobbish connoisseur as the first requirement for food for me is it needs to taste good to me, and just because it is supposed to be a culinary delicacy doesn't cut it. For instance I like my steak medium or a tad more cooked than medium--medium rare or rare is the presumed culinary standard but it just doesn't do it for me. Scallops are supposed to be this sophisticated gourmet delight and I find them totally uninteresting.

Now one food that is super high fiber that many people dislike, including me, is hummus. I should say dislike on it's own but Sabra makes a Supremely Spicy version that I eat with tortilla chips and everyone who hates hummus but has tried this loves it.

I've never tried it but would if opportunity presented itself. It appears to be much more healthy than your average chip dip.

LOL. Just reading the thread today you would think Chris and Montro are sister brother from different mothers. :)

We love pretty much all canned greens--turnip, collard, spinach--with a little salt and pepper and Hombre adds a touch of hot sauce if we have it. Even better if we buy fresh greens and cook our own. Fresh spinach salad is okay, but I honestly prefer plain old crisp iceberg lettuce in my salad. (Yes I know the other greens have much more nutritional content but iceberg lettuce isn't unhealthy and we all have our little vices. :) )

I love properly prepared liver and onions but Hombre won't touch them--he doesn't like cooked onions and he can't stand liver. But since he won't eat it, I have to get my liver and onions fix when we go out. Furrs Fresh Buffet here does a decent job with that.

Molasses is one of those things I think people either like or they don't with no middle ground. I never heard of using it for reflux though. Honey, especially raw honey, and apple cider vinegar properly mixed in hot water is a good remedy for reflux and some other things.

I don't think molasses is melted brown sugar though. It is what is left over from the sugar cane or sugar beet after the refining process that creates white granulated or powdered sugar. Thus it has some fiber, vitamins, minerals etc. that white sugar does not. The sulphured molasses is more bitter and less sweet than the unsulphured molasses. The sulphur dioxide gives it a longer shelf life but most people prefer the less strong flavor of the unsulphured kind.

Brown sugar, on the other hand, has its own unique flavor but it is just refined white sugar with some molasses added back in.

I tried honey and ACV as well. Those were at least less nasty than the molasses, but none of them are something I enjoy, and none helped. :p

I agree 100% on the lettuce. Crisp iceberg is the way to go! That's 90% of what my salads are made of. :) I like cucumber slices, shredded carrot, maybe some celery and green pepper...that's about it. But if there's nothing but a head of lettuce, I'll break it up, throw on some vinegar or Italian dressing, and call it salad. :D

I'm not sure if I've tried hummus, but it doesn't sound tempting. I'm not a big spicy food fan, either.....even before the reflux. :D

I was pickier as a child, but I like to try new things now, and some of the things I wouldn't try as a child are very good, and so are some things that I never liked as a child.

I was a lot pickier as a kid than I am now--I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food but I don't think I am a snobbish connoisseur as the first requirement for food for me is it needs to taste good to me, and just because it is supposed to be a culinary delicacy doesn't cut it. For instance I like my steak medium or a tad more cooked than medium--medium rare or rare is the presumed culinary standard but it just doesn't do it for me. Scallops are supposed to be this sophisticated gourmet delight and I find them totally uninteresting.

I went the opposite way; I'm pickier as an adult than I was as a young child. According to my mother, when I was a toddler or maybe even an infant, I would eat anything if she put tomato sauce on it. She's said I would have eaten "shit on a shingle" if she put tomato sauce on it first. :lol: The only thing I eat with tomato sauce nowadays is pizza. :)

I've never tried it but would if opportunity presented itself. It appears to be much more healthy than your average chip dip.
Yup, fiber, vitamins, minerals and no fat.

I try to realize that the world doesn't belong to us. It belongs to the animals who inhabit the planet as well, and that we need to live together and share the world with them. I am not a PETA nutjob though. I realize the benefits of hunting for population control since we humans have encroached upon the territory of other natural predators and many of these prey animals will overpopulate and die of starvation.
You've never had squirrels move into the insulation in your ceiling and walls, or had them chew up the wiring on your car, or steal your Nutty Buddies! But my squirrel mitigation program is as swift and merciful as it is effective. The worst insect critters I've encountered include carpenter ants and hornets. A good dusting of diatomaceous earth at entry points usually works on the ants. Wasps and hornets are less easily dealt with.

I try to realize that the world doesn't belong to us. It belongs to the animals who inhabit the planet as well, and that we need to live together and share the world with them. I am not a PETA nutjob though. I realize the benefits of hunting for population control since we humans have encroached upon the territory of other natural predators and many of these prey animals will overpopulate and die of starvation.
You've never had squirrels move into the insulation in your ceiling and walls, or had them chew up the wiring on your car, or steal your Nutty Buddies! But my squirrel mitigation program is as swift and merciful as it is effective. The worst insect critters I've encountered include carpenter ants and hornets. A good dusting of diatomaceous earth at entry points usually works on the ants. Wasps and hornets are less easily dealt with.

Hate the yellowjackets! Hate em! :mad:

I don't mind sharing the world.....just not my part of it. :lol:

Now that I'm all ready for Christmas, I can't wait! Now it's going to feel like FOREVER until Christmas gets here!

Naw, you use these two weeks to try your hand at baking a fruit cake, experiment with decorating cookies, make some divinity that won't set so most of it gets thrown out. Stuff like that. :)
I recently tried a different version of fruit cake. It's quick,easy, and was popular with the work-critters. Procure a spice cake mix and a container of candied fruit used in regular fruit cake. I add a few candied cherries, too. Prepare cake mix according to instructions and then fold the candied fruit into the raw batter. Grease and flour a suitable pan and bake until done. This makes a lighter, less dense fruitcake while still maintaining the flavor blend. I provided a container of frosting for those who wanted to smear some extra sugar onto their treat.

I have really got to try coming by more often. After reading through about 30 pages, I finally made it to the end. Unfortunately, my lengthy commute, short daylight hours (sunrise around 10:15 am, sunset: around 3:35 pm), and the fact that my power system needs help. I'm going to hire a professional to design what I need and then I'll booby trap the system so my partner cannot mess with it. I don't mind lantern-light, it's more natural than the 12V leds. Lanterns also contribute to warming the house.
Funny that it's been snowing in places that rarely have snow and it's been melting here. Heck, it's raining outside right now.

For the first time in a few years, I will have Christmas and New Year's Eve off. I'll be visiting my brother-by-another-mother and his family Christmas Eve. I've invited a couple of other "singles" over for New Year's Eve. I've got a few spare beds, so we need not limit our celebrating, no one will have to drive home from my wooded haven.
I've discovered some things about living here full-time. Once this place is warm, it holds the warmth very well. I can get by throwing a stick of wood on the fire every couple of hours. Right now, I've let the wood stove burn down to coals and may not have to stoke the fire until early morning. It's quiet, too. And when the sky is clear, you can see the Milky Way strewn across the velvet dark like a gauzy veil.
I have a few gifts to wrap and will finish all my shopping, just incidentals now, Friday and Saturday.
Well, my wi-fi is about to give up. I hope all of y'all find happiness and have a wonderful day/night.

I have really got to try coming by more often. After reading through about 30 pages, I finally made it to the end. Unfortunately, my lengthy commute, short daylight hours (sunrise around 10:15 am, sunset: around 3:35 pm), and the fact that my power system needs help. I'm going to hire a professional to design what I need and then I'll booby trap the system so my partner cannot mess with it. I don't mind lantern-light, it's more natural than the 12V leds. Lanterns also contribute to warming the house.
Funny that it's been snowing in places that rarely have snow and it's been melting here. Heck, it's raining outside right now.

:) You really don't have to read every page but you are brave to do so. Snow seems to be coming and going in strange places this year. How much longer do you plan to commute? All winter?

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter in difficult transition,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

winter_2.jpeg

Speaking of scarce people you recognize.....

Funny how I would pick now to chime in.

Hey y'all! :smoke:

AVG-JOE!!! You haven't been in here in a coon's age. (I think that's the term.) Good to see you and hope all is well with you.

I'm good!! Busy working with AVG-WIFE remodeling our kitchen now and, not only are we still talking, we're talking about other projects.

Still one of the luckiest guys I know of :thup:

Forum List

Back