USMB Coffee Shop IV

In a widening effort to introduce more fiber into my diet, I have taken to eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Now that I have time to prepare and eat a breakfast, my toe is in the water, but I have not gone for full immersion and clumsy stabs at waffles or crepes.

I bought a variety pack, probably the most expensive way to buy cereal. Of course the variety pack does deliver on why it's named. Corn flakes, puffed wheat, rice crispies, and raisan bran. What I had to wonder is, has anyone ever followed the directions on those little individual serving boxes and cut the "H" shaped perforations in the cardboard then slit that wax paper pericardium containing the cereal? Has anyone every been brave, or foolhardy enough to dump milk into a cardboard box and slop up a couple spoonfuls of CocoPuffs? It looks like the type of thing a kid would do like Edmund Hillary would climb a mountain: because it's there.

But that does not make it a good idea? Wisdom is imparted concerning hydrodynamics even unto a toddlers. Is it prudent to hold a half cup or more of milk between your palm and your lap with only a slim piece of wax paper and a sheet of thin cardboard?

We kids knew about packaging and the perils there of when we would smack a bar of Turkish Taffy on the sidewalk to break up the bar of rock hard candy. Thus making it possible to get a piece into one's mouth, but dicey where any loose baby teeth might be clinging onto growing gums. That taffy wrapper was one tough hunk of packaging. Compared to the aluminum foil,wrappers on, Hershey Kisses, Turkish Taffy was surrounded by Kevlar.
Out of all the ones in the variety pack the Raisin Bran is probably the only one with any measurable fiber in it.

Here's a good list of high fiber cereals and no, most have enough sweetener in them to not taste like cardboard.

The Top 44 Best High Fiber Cereals - Fiber Guardian

Also taking psyllium husk (typically associated with the brand name Metamucil) once daily will work wonders not only with your colon health but with your overall health. One tablespoon in a large glass of water will do the trick just remember drink it one hour before taking any medications/vitamins/minerals or two hours after taking any medications-etc. It expands into a gelatinous mass in the stomach trapping any meds you take with it preventing their being absorbed.

If you want to really clean yourself out then have an apple day........ All you consume are fresh apples and apple cider......... Make sure the bathroom ceiling exhaust vent is functioning normally.........

Hey! Cocoa Puffs have fiber! :eusa_snooty:
Oatmeal is another cereal that's excellent for health. The taste can be masked with a spoonful of molasses, which is good for health. I've had that for breakfast as long as I can remember.

I've never been crazy about the texture of oatmeal. It kind of makes me gag. Lol!

I enjoy oatmeal but I am picky about the texture--I don't want it too soupy or too runny. So we use just the right amount of water for perfect texture, and then a little butter and brown sugar and it's really good and good for us.

People who don't like molasses probably don't like another two of my favorite healthy foods: Spinach and beef liver.

I don't mind spinach, although I salt it heavily. I don't know for sure if I've had beef liver, but I'd guess I would not like it. :p

My mother makes liver and onions sometimes. I've never even tried it, but it smells really good. Something about eating a liver just sounds gross, so for once I can agree with you that something might seem to yucky to eat. :D

So this morning I get off the bus and some idiot decides to blow himself up in the bus terminal. I was never in any real danger. I was in the same building but about half a block away. I heard the explosion and saw a few hundred people come running in my direction screaming bomb, and active shooter. the guy did more damage to himself than anyone else fortunately

It was a bus terminal? I thought it was the subway system? I guess I didn't understand what the port terminal was. Happy you weren't near the guy though I guess the few injuries he caused others were fairly minor--the worst he did to himself if the media got it right.

In a widening effort to introduce more fiber into my diet, I have taken to eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Now that I have time to prepare and eat a breakfast, my toe is in the water, but I have not gone for full immersion and clumsy stabs at waffles or crepes.

I bought a variety pack, probably the most expensive way to buy cereal. Of course the variety pack does deliver on why it's named. Corn flakes, puffed wheat, rice crispies, and raisan bran. What I had to wonder is, has anyone ever followed the directions on those little individual serving boxes and cut the "H" shaped perforations in the cardboard then slit that wax paper pericardium containing the cereal? Has anyone every been brave, or foolhardy enough to dump milk into a cardboard box and slop up a couple spoonfuls of CocoPuffs? It looks like the type of thing a kid would do like Edmund Hillary would climb a mountain: because it's there.

But that does not make it a good idea? Wisdom is imparted concerning hydrodynamics even unto a toddlers. Is it prudent to hold a half cup or more of milk between your palm and your lap with only a slim piece of wax paper and a sheet of thin cardboard?

We kids knew about packaging and the perils there of when we would smack a bar of Turkish Taffy on the sidewalk to break up the bar of rock hard candy. Thus making it possible to get a piece into one's mouth, but dicey where any loose baby teeth might be clinging onto growing gums. That taffy wrapper was one tough hunk of packaging. Compared to the aluminum foil,wrappers on, Hershey Kisses, Turkish Taffy was surrounded by Kevlar.
Out of all the ones in the variety pack the Raisin Bran is probably the only one with any measurable fiber in it.

Here's a good list of high fiber cereals and no, most have enough sweetener in them to not taste like cardboard.

The Top 44 Best High Fiber Cereals - Fiber Guardian

Also taking psyllium husk (typically associated with the brand name Metamucil) once daily will work wonders not only with your colon health but with your overall health. One tablespoon in a large glass of water will do the trick just remember drink it one hour before taking any medications/vitamins/minerals or two hours after taking any medications-etc. It expands into a gelatinous mass in the stomach trapping any meds you take with it preventing their being absorbed.

If you want to really clean yourself out then have an apple day........ All you consume are fresh apples and apple cider......... Make sure the bathroom ceiling exhaust vent is functioning normally.........

Hey! Cocoa Puffs have fiber! :eusa_snooty:
Oatmeal is another cereal that's excellent for health. The taste can be masked with a spoonful of molasses, which is good for health. I've had that for breakfast as long as I can remember.

I've never been crazy about the texture of oatmeal. It kind of makes me gag. Lol!

I enjoy oatmeal but I am picky about the texture--I don't want it too soupy or too runny. So we use just the right amount of water for perfect texture, and then a little butter and brown sugar and it's really good and good for us.

I like the fruit and cream style oatmeals. They come in fairly small packets usually, but if we happen to have plain oatmeal, I'll mix some of that with a packet of the fruit and cream stuff, and that is good.

Of course, I always want a dry cereal in milk for breakfast, but sometimes we run out of milk. :D

People who don't like molasses probably don't like another two of my favorite healthy foods: Spinach and beef liver.

I don't mind spinach, although I salt it heavily. I don't know for sure if I've had beef liver, but I'd guess I would not like it. :p

My mother makes liver and onions sometimes. I've never even tried it, but it smells really good. Something about eating a liver just sounds gross, so for once I can agree with you that something might seem to yucky to eat. :D

I was thinking more that not only am I really picky, but I also don't much like dark meat when it comes to poultry, and maybe liver would be somewhat similar. :dunno:

Sounds like my SIL and her twin. There are many things they wont eat and when asked if they ever tried it they say "No but I know I wouldn't like it."

I was thinking more that not only am I really picky, but I also don't much like dark meat when it comes to poultry, and maybe liver would be somewhat similar. :dunno:

I love chicken thighs! They are the best part of the chicken!

You know why?

Chicken thigh!! :p

I used to only eat the white meat too, but then I saw some chicken thighs recipe on one of the cooking shows, and it looked absolutely delicious, so I thought I would try it out and I loved it! I thought to myself how much more juicy and flavorful the meat was!

Now one food that is super high fiber that many people dislike, including me, is hummus. I should say dislike on it's own but Sabra makes a Supremely Spicy version that I eat with tortilla chips and everyone who hates hummus but has tried this loves it.

Picky pants! I'll bet your mom made you separate meals so you wouldn't have to eat what she made for the rest of the family? :eusa_naughty:

I love chicken thighs! They are the best part of the chicken!

You know why?

Chicken thigh!! :p

You know what?

Chicken butt!! :lol:

The little one loved those for a while. :)

Picky pants! I'll bet your mom made you separate meals so you wouldn't have to eat what she made for the rest of the family? :eusa_naughty:

I got my pickiness from her. :lol: She's not as bad as me, but she's definitely picky. :)

Liver? No, unless it's chopped chicken liver in dirty rice, spinach but I'm picky about how it's cooked and the canned stuff is only good to use in recipes.

Now one food that is super high fiber that many people dislike, including me, is hummus. I should say dislike on it's own but Sabra makes a Supremely Spicy version that I eat with tortilla chips and everyone who hates hummus but has tried this loves it.

I'm not sure if I've tried hummus, but it doesn't sound tempting. I'm not a big spicy food fan, either.....even before the reflux. :D

I'm not sure if I've tried hummus, but it doesn't sound tempting. I'm not a big spicy food fan, either.....even before the reflux. :D

I was pickier as a child, but I like to try new things now, and some of the things I wouldn't try as a child are very good, and so are some things that I never liked as a child.

Sabra makes a variety of hummus flavors, I just like the one because I like spicy.

Forum List

Back