USMB Coffee Shop IV

Oh and today's puzzle for the seriously bored:

24301163_871690359683040_3223479772874677644_n.jpg
I'll wait to give the correct answer....... :eusa_whistle:

Cheating! :D
How is letting everyone else screw it up cheating........ :dunno:
I saw a bunch of tigers right off the bat but no Lions........
:D
Maybe that's the catch? All tigers but one lion somewhere?????
It's an exercise that shows how our vision/brain can deceive us. We read lion but see tigers so visually associate the word "lion" with the picture of tigers.

The little one got to play in the snow today. It was melting away, but not gone, when she got home. It was also very sticky, so we were able to make easy snowballs and a very ugly snowman.

View attachment 165373

Here's one of our cat checking out her namesake all over the ground yesterday:

View attachment 165374

You still have roses blooming? That is AMAZING. Lol!

I guess they are hearty. I don't have anything to do with those. :p

I was just remembering that when we lived up on the mountain, we always quipped that the growing season was a Tuesday in July. :)
Pine nuts grow great in the mountains however.

As do oak trees. You can harvest the acorns and make flour out of them after you soak them in boiling hot water.

Pecan trees should grow well up there too, although I believe pecans are mostly a Texas-Oklahoma endemic tree.

New Mexico has a thriving pecan industry in the southern part of the state--too cold for the pecan trees in the north. Pinon nuts are indeed also harvested commercially and are considered a prize delicacy selling for somewhere in the neighborhood of $30/lb. You have to be careful to buy authentic New Mexico pinon nuts though--some cheaper offerings are not really pinon but knockoffs and not nearly as good.

The Pinon tree and the pinon nuts are different from any other pine nuts being offered out there.

That's possible I suppose but I rather think Ringel gave the accurate explanation. I'm pretty sure all the animals in the picture are intended to be tigers.

Hey - long time no see. I hope everyone is doing well. been keeping very busy myself

Spoonie!!!! OMG. I thought you had left us for good. So happy to see you. . .in a photo even. . .and that all is well. Don't be a stranger, okay?
Still around. I've spent very little time online lately, anywhere. 38 weeks to retirement, so a lot of time is preparing for that. our house goes on the market in april. so a lot of minor repairs and updating. finishing our house on the jersey shore where we'll be moving too. I'm going to miss the mountains. Moving our sons into their own house and all the work there. this winter it will be clearing out the clutter and all the stuff we've accumulated over the last 35 years that we don't need. going from over 4,000 sq feet with three very large sheds to around 1,600 sq feet. There is a lot of purging to do. on top of that I've been trying to do as much of the things I really enjoy.

So you are trading the mountains for an ocean--I could do that though I do love our mountains. On the bright side you must have finally dug your Jersey shore home out after storm Sandy. We did what you were doing--downsized from a huge bilevel home and divested ourselves of decades of accumulated stuff so that we fit comfortable into a 900 sq ft 2-bedroom apartment in Albuquerque for a year. Then we bought our roughly 1100 sq ft home up on the mountain where we lived for more than a decade and expanded the stuff to fill a very large storage building on our property and all of that small home. Then we moved into the city to our present much larger home and pretty well filled that up.

What I'm saying is that it will work for you depending on how much of a packrat you and the Ms. are. :)

But I'm happy for you. I have never regretted retirement for a single day though I have considered going back to work just to get some rest. :)

I'm a pack rat, she isn't. I think we are going to need a large storage facility. i'll leave a lot of my stuff with the boys temporarily. they can have what they want. we'll probably buy a lake house in northeastern PA or maybe even southern NY north of PA. i'll move some of it there too.

Spent a lot of time kayaking this summer. 2 weeks up in Canada and three separate trips to the Adirondacks. Plus a lot of local lakes as much as possible.

View attachment 165196 View attachment 165197

Hubba-hubba,Spoonie. You look great in those photos. So good to see you here and after reading all your upcoming plans I can see where you are most definitely preoccupied. I always hoped the "shorehouse" would be your retirement destination.

Merry Christmas, sweetie. We share some fond memories here. :smiliehug:

hey, how have you been? i'll try to get on a little more often with the winter weather here now. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas as well

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
So this morning I get off the bus and some idiot decides to blow himself up in the bus terminal. I was never in any real danger. I was in the same building but about half a block away. I heard the explosion and saw a few hundred people come running in my direction screaming bomb, and active shooter. the guy did more damage to himself than anyone else fortunately

It's an exercise that shows how our vision/brain can deceive us. We read lion but see tigers so visually associate the word "lion" with the picture of tigers.

It's a trick question!

In a widening effort to introduce more fiber into my diet, I have taken to eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Now that I have time to prepare and eat a breakfast, my toe is in the water, but I have not gone for full immersion and clumsy stabs at waffles or crepes.

I bought a variety pack, probably the most expensive way to buy cereal. Of course the variety pack does deliver on why it's named. Corn flakes, puffed wheat, rice crispies, and raisan bran. What I had to wonder is, has anyone ever followed the directions on those little individual serving boxes and cut the "H" shaped perforations in the cardboard then slit that wax paper pericardium containing the cereal? Has anyone every been brave, or foolhardy enough to dump milk into a cardboard box and slop up a couple spoonfuls of CocoPuffs? It looks like the type of thing a kid would do like Edmund Hillary would climb a mountain: because it's there.

But that does not make it a good idea? Wisdom is imparted concerning hydrodynamics even unto a toddlers. Is it prudent to hold a half cup or more of milk between your palm and your lap with only a slim piece of wax paper and a sheet of thin cardboard?

We kids knew about packaging and the perils there of when we would smack a bar of Turkish Taffy on the sidewalk to break up the bar of rock hard candy. Thus making it possible to get a piece into one's mouth, but dicey where any loose baby teeth might be clinging onto growing gums. That taffy wrapper was one tough hunk of packaging. Compared to the aluminum foil,wrappers on, Hershey Kisses, Turkish Taffy was surrounded by Kevlar.

In a widening effort to introduce more fiber into my diet, I have taken to eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Now that I have time to prepare and eat a breakfast, my toe is in the water, but I have not gone for full immersion and clumsy stabs at waffles or crepes.

I bought a variety pack, probably the most expensive way to buy cereal. Of course the variety pack does deliver on why it's named. Corn flakes, puffed wheat, rice crispies, and raisan bran. What I had to wonder is, has anyone ever followed the directions on those little individual serving boxes and cut the "H" shaped perforations in the cardboard then slit that wax paper pericardium containing the cereal? Has anyone every been brave, or foolhardy enough to dump milk into a cardboard box and slop up a couple spoonfuls of CocoPuffs? It looks like the type of thing a kid would do like Edmund Hillary would climb a mountain: because it's there.

But that does not make it a good idea? Wisdom is imparted concerning hydrodynamics even unto a toddlers. Is it prudent to hold a half cup or more of milk between your palm and your lap with only a slim piece of wax paper and a sheet of thin cardboard?

We kids knew about packaging and the perils there of when we would smack a bar of Turkish Taffy on the sidewalk to break up the bar of rock hard candy. Thus making it possible to get a piece into one's mouth, but dicey where any loose baby teeth might be clinging onto growing gums. That taffy wrapper was one tough hunk of packaging. Compared to the aluminum foil,wrappers on, Hershey Kisses, Turkish Taffy was surrounded by Kevlar.
Out of all the ones in the variety pack the Raisin Bran is probably the only one with any measurable fiber in it.

Here's a good list of high fiber cereals and no, most have enough sweetener in them to not taste like cardboard.

The Top 44 Best High Fiber Cereals - Fiber Guardian

Also taking psyllium husk (typically associated with the brand name Metamucil) once daily will work wonders not only with your colon health but with your overall health. One tablespoon in a large glass of water will do the trick just remember drink it one hour before taking any medications/vitamins/minerals or two hours after taking any medications-etc. It expands into a gelatinous mass in the stomach trapping any meds you take with it preventing their being absorbed.

If you want to really clean yourself out then have an apple day........ All you consume are fresh apples and apple cider......... Make sure the bathroom ceiling exhaust vent is functioning normally.........

Out of all the ones in the variety pack the Raisin Bran is probably the only one with any measurable fiber in it.

Here's a good list of high fiber cereals and no, most have enough sweetener in them to not taste like cardboard.

Also taking psyllium husk (typically associated with the brand name Metamucil) once daily will work wonders not only with your colon health but with your overall health. One tablespoon in a large glass of water will do the trick just remember drink it one hour before taking any medications/vitamins/minerals or two hours after taking any medications-etc. It expands into a gelatinous mass in the stomach trapping any meds you take with it preventing their being absorbed.

If you want to really clean yourself out then have an apple day........ All you consume are fresh apples and apple cider......... Make sure the bathroom ceiling exhaust vent is functioning normally.........
My goal is to keep my eyelids from sweating and the enamel on my molars from wearing out whenever I 'mine the harbor'. It's a memorable experience every day. But, it's still an everyday occurrence.

My goal is to keep my eyelids from sweating and the enamel on my molars from wearing out whenever I 'mine the harbor'. It's a memorable experience every day. But, it's still an everyday occurrence.
You're still young....... :eusa_whistle:

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter in difficult transition,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Winter-Inspirational-and-spiritual-quote.jpg

Cocoa Puffs are my favorite cereal! I've never eaten them out of the box with milk though. I've eaten them out of the box dry or in a bowl with milk. You can't have Cocoa Puffs in a box because part of the fun is drinking the milk that's left after the cereal is gone! How would you manage to do that out of a box without spilling it all over you?

Hey! Cocoa Puffs have fiber! :eusa_snooty:

Oatmeal is another cereal that's excellent for health. The taste can be masked with a spoonful of molasses, which is good for health. I've had that for breakfast as long as I can remember.

I
Microsoft windows 10 just did an update on my computer. To calm your nerves, if your computer updates do not panic, it takes ages. It takes longer than any usual update, and the screen goes black for several minutes.

So whatever yo do don't panic, and don't turn off or restart your computer until its over.
There's a solution to that......

Dump Windows.......

I would except that I have so much softwear, including favorite games, that I think might not run on anything other than Windows. And I am firmly from the school of not making things more complicated or harder than they have to be.
I have a zillion tons of software that only runs on windows 98, as I used to load down software free from hackers sites.

There were stories going around claiming Win 10 could (and would) identify and block one's ability to download pirated software, there are some going through interesting gyrations to claim Microsoft doesn't care about pirated software on our computers.......... Also (yes this one is confirmed) Microsoft can remotely lock you out of your computer though I suspect it's only for helping law enforcement at this point. :dunno:

OOH ER ! its a good job I gave up trying to download pirated software then.
On another front, ever since the latest update to windows 10 It takes ages to start up the computer and it restarts itself a couple of times before settling down.

I can't bring myself to eat cereal with milk out of a box--that is an option sometimes provided at the breakfast bar in a lot of motels. I am sure the box is designed to contain the milk, but it is so unnatural to me it is also unappetizing.

For fiber my go to cereals are mini wheats which have about as much fiber as any of the heathiest rated cereals out there. Ditto for grape nuts. And while plain old Cheerios have about half the fiber the other two do, they do have significant fiber and are rated among the healthy cereals.

But my primary source of fiber is grinding a couple of tablespoons of flax seed in the coffee grinder and dumping the powder into a smoothie or cereal or whatever.

Oatmeal is another cereal that's excellent for health. The taste can be masked with a spoonful of molasses, which is good for health. I've had that for breakfast as long as I can remember.

I agree. And I don't mind the taste but we do use a bit of molasses or brown sugar to sweeten.

Forum List

Back