USMB Coffee Shop IV

Just checking in. It's been beautiful here lately. Of course, many of you would still find it a bit cool, but for us, a balmy breeze and temps above freezing are hallmarks of Breakup. We don't really have Spring, or it lasts a few days when the trees leaf out and become green again (3-6 days, usually). Many of us here are still in stasis, though. Until the snow melts away, and in some cases, the ground thaws, many projects are still on hold.
I'm working through the last of this season's firewood. I now have a better idea how much wood I'll have to put up for the coming winter. It's funny that my co-workers think I smell like campfire or smoked fish. I've noticed, too, that spring cleaning will require extensive soot removal. Wood smoke does leave things a bit...dingy. Even the white parts of the cats is more of an off-gray than bright white.
I'm glad everyone here seems to be doing well. A special belated birthday to SFC Ollie. I sure do miss him.

Terrible Easter here. About 0130 Easter morning I heard a ruckus downstairs and I got up to investigate. Taco was barking his head off and I heard the front door slam. I quickly opened it and when I did I saw the Easter Bunny hopping away down the lane. I looked around and found no Easter eggs or other goodies. Apparently Taco scared him away. Darned dog.

Terrible Easter here. About 0130 Easter morning I heard a ruckus downstairs and I got up to investigate. Taco was barking his head off and I heard the front door slam. I quickly opened it and when I did I saw the Easter Bunny hopping away down the lane. I looked around and found no Easter eggs or other goodies. Apparently Taco scared him away. Darned dog.

I an not the fartest smellar in town but, possibly Taco was displeased regarding the choices the Easter Bunny had... Maybe next year some rice and refried beans...

Well we can't go a whole day without a post in the Coffee Shop--don't think that has ever happened in its almost eight years history. So hope everybody is having a great day, a good week. Hombre and I found a HUMONGOUS T-bone steak in the back of the freezer and are enjoying it now--I took the tenderloin filet and he got the very large KC Strip (NY strip for you easterners. :) ) Add a salad and a baked potato and yum.

Now on to more of the knockout rounds on "The Voice" and a good evening to all.

I've been around, but things are getting busy. It surely was quiet here. I, too, hope all my CS friends are well, happy, and healthy.
I gave the adult goats their immunizations today, the partner trimmed feet. It's been a beautiful, warm, sunny day, too! Now, if the temperatures can stay above freezing for just a few days, all this pesky snow will go away and we'll have lots of fresh mud.

The links don't work for an on line poll that I never participate in because so many infect with malware. But I thought the choices interesting as this has been a point of discussion in our family for many years.

29598120_2027171450690220_3440227412330172585_n.jpg

By the way, both Hombre and I are a #4.

And I wonder if it occurred to any of you--it didn't occur to me--to celebrate some observances designated for April 4, 2018?

• Bonza Bottler Day
  • Hug a Newsman Day
  • National Cordon Bleu Day
  • National Walking Day
  • Tell a Lie Day
  • Vitamin C Day
  • Walk Around Things Day
  • World Rat Day

April 4, 2018 marks the tenth anniversary of Pop's passing. April 3, 2008 gave no clue of what was to happen the next day. Pop died suddenly, peacefully and surrounded by his family. He suffered little as the stroke flushed his brain with an errant blood flow. He was denied a means of saying goodbye as we all were.

I miss him a lot.

April 4, 2018 marks the tenth anniversary of Pop's passing. April 3, 2008 gave no clue of what was to happen the next day. Pop died suddenly, peacefully and surrounded by his family. He suffered little as the stroke flushed his brain with an errant blood flow. He was denied a means of saying goodbye as we all were.

I miss him a lot.

March 28 was the 35th anniversary of my mom's passing. You never stop missing them. And what a wonderful legacy that is for them.

I miss him a lot.

March 28 was the 35th anniversary of my mom's passing. You never stop missing them. And what a wonderful legacy that is for them.
I heard one concept of the afterlife. It posited that the way you are regarded in death makes up a portion of your afterlife among the living. It makes sense. If you loved and forgave in life, those who received your love and forgiveness will remember you fondly and that makes a portion of heaven for them.

I miss him a lot.

I heard one concept of the afterlife. It posited that the way you are regarded in death makes up a portion of your afterlife among the living. It makes sense. If you loved and forgave in life, those who received your love and forgiveness will remember you fondly and that makes a portion of heaven for them.

A sweet sentiment. My sister insists that whenever we find a coin--a dime or penny or whatever--in an unusual place, it indicates a visitation from a departed loved one. And then there is the lovely legend that found pennies when we are out walking are pennies the angels threw down or pennies from Heaven. :)

I miss him a lot.

A sweet sentiment. My sister insists that whenever we find a coin--a dime or penny or whatever--in an unusual place, it indicates a visitation from a departed loved one. And then there is the lovely legend that found pennies when we are out walking are pennies the angels threw down or pennies from Heaven. :)
Mom has a jar full of such pennies.

But the fondest found mementos are the Heinz pickle pins.

Google Image Result for https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/C9UAAOSwQ6pZij1u/s-l300.jpg

Back in the late summer of 1956, I was incubating in Mom's womb and playing handball in there. I gave her more uteral distress than she deserved. But that didn't keep her and Pop and my soon to be paternal grandparents from going to the Allegheny County Fair.

They walked the midway taking in the sights, sounds and aromas. They sat in the grandstands and watched housewives duel in the rolling pin toss competition, a dancing bear, jugglers and Officer Tootie from Car 54, Where are You?

Mom, heavy with child, felt peckish as she saw people walk from the Heinz exhibit with paper plates laden with pickles and other savories. So the decision was made to wait in line to cash in on some of those goodies.

And wait they did. Half an hour dragged into an hour. And hour into two. And when they finally got to the table, the Heinz 57 folks had run out of their supply of pickles. They offered up little plastic pins fashioned in the shape of a pickle with "Heinz" embossed on the inch long green pickle swag.

Since that day in '56, we have discovered pickle pins all around the house. In the kitchen 'junk drawer' (you all have one), in jewelry boxes, in drawers in the breakfront under the silverware or behind the wine goblets, in desk drawers reserved for three month old gas company receipts.

Mom found one the day before Pop's funeral ten years ago. She lovingly placed it in Pop's beast pocket as he laid in his casket.

Last edited:
I dunno. According to the "Georgia Weekly Post" in Marietta, Georgia, this is the fashion trend for guys. What do you think? Is this Montrovant???? Or any of our Coffee Shop guys???? (I will say there is no way in hell I would get Hombre into one of these outfits unless he was dead, and then he would surely come back and haunt me.)

29026134_2021876074734234_1043766444082331648_n.jpg

Forum List

Back