USMB Coffee Shop IV

I would love it, the wife on the other hand doesn't do beans.

These are so easy to make, it's almost sinful. You just mix up cans of beans (pork-n-beans, kidney, lima and butter), with fried bacon, browned ground beef, onion, celery, ketchup, dry mustard, vinegar, salt, brown sugar and liquid smoke - and bake for 1.5 hours. It's not really cooking - just an easy Hot Dish.
Like my cabbage, onions and kielbasa, I can eat it for days on in but the wife hates it, cabbage and what she calls "hot dogs..........

I love sausage and cabbage...and knockwurst and sauerkraut.
Love cabbage, not all that crazy about sauerkraut though.

You might like my bierochs, another house speciality with indivdual servings of seasoned browned hamburger and sauteed cabbage and onion baked inside a bread dough.
Something like pasties.

I'm baking a big batch of Calico Beans for a BBQ this afternoon. They smell DELISH!!!!

These are so easy to make, it's almost sinful. You just mix up cans of beans (pork-n-beans, kidney, lima and butter), with fried bacon, browned ground beef, onion, celery, ketchup, dry mustard, vinegar, salt, brown sugar and liquid smoke - and bake for 1.5 hours. It's not really cooking - just an easy Hot Dish.

Pretty close to our house specialty baked beans except I don't put hamburger in them. I might have to try that. I will mix navy, pinto, and pork n beans, and in a pinch black-eyed peas, but haven't used lima beans or butter beans that I have considered unfit for human consumption since I was a kid. :)

I sometimes do the Calico Beans as vegetarian - leave out bacon and hamburger. The bit of liquid smoke is the key thing, imo - and lots of onion!
Have you ever tried including sauteed carrots?

I got a visit from Jehovah Witnesses today. I always try to be nice to them I figure enough people are probably mean to them.
My sister is a Jovie. She sent some associates to visit me once. After about three minutes of their presentation, we were swapping moose recipes and talking about fishing! Really, they're people like the rest of us, mostly. Once, I joked with my sister that she was kinda like an Amway saleswoman for god. She laughed and agreed that it might appear like that at times.
I just tell em I'm Catholic, they generally run the other direction....... :eusa_whistle:

Like my cabbage, onions and kielbasa, I can eat it for days on in but the wife hates it, cabbage and what she calls "hot dogs..........

You might like my bierochs, another house speciality with indivdual servings of seasoned browned hamburger and sauteed cabbage and onion baked inside a bread dough.
Something like pasties.
Pasties??

89c59057ae41ae9e251fab5696f6e782--cookie-monster-tassels.jpg

As are quite a few people.

Took me a bit but I tracked down this bit of information that was needed by another person at our house recently--we needed to know whether she was suffering an allergy, in which case I needed to adjust our cuisine here, or an intolerance. It is pretty easy to avoid eating bananas; not so easy to avoid all contact with them.

Hers is definite intolerance. But she found this piece on a 'York Test' site and means to correct the intolerance for some. Pretty pricey though. Don't know if she ever followed through.

If you suspect you are experiencing intolerance to banana you should first consult your GP to rule out a more serious cause for your symptoms. If your symptoms aren’t caused by an underlying condition, you might like to confirm whether food intolerance is the cause by taking a YorkTest food intolerance programme. Unlike allergies, intolerances aren’t always lifelong. It is possible to reintroduce trigger foods into the diet after a period of elimination so you might not have to miss out on that teatime banana bread forever.​
Could You Have a Banana Allergy or Intolerance? | YorkTest
Don't really care all that much about bananas so no great loss.

Something like pasties.
Pasties??

"A pasty or pastie (/ˈpɑːsti/ or /ˈpæsti/, Cornish: Pasti)[1] is a baked pastry, a traditional variety of which is particularly associated with Cornwall, United Kingdom. It is made by placing an uncooked filling, typically meat and vegetables, on one half of a flat shortcrust pastry circle, folding the pastry in half to wrap the filling in a semicircle and crimping the curved edge to form a seal before baking." Popular among Youpers.

Something like pasties.
Pasties??

"A pasty or pastie (/ˈpɑːsti/ or /ˈpæsti/, Cornish: Pasti)[1] is a baked pastry, a traditional variety of which is particularly associated with Cornwall, United Kingdom. It is made by placing an uncooked filling, typically meat and vegetables, on one half of a flat shortcrust pastry circle, folding the pastry in half to wrap the filling in a semicircle and crimping the curved edge to form a seal before baking." Popular among Youpers.
Better get that funny bone in a sling there brother...... :eusa_whistle:

:D

I'm baking a big batch of Calico Beans for a BBQ this afternoon. They smell DELISH!!!!

Pretty close to our house specialty baked beans except I don't put hamburger in them. I might have to try that. I will mix navy, pinto, and pork n beans, and in a pinch black-eyed peas, but haven't used lima beans or butter beans that I have considered unfit for human consumption since I was a kid. :)

I sometimes do the Calico Beans as vegetarian - leave out bacon and hamburger. The bit of liquid smoke is the key thing, imo - and lots of onion!
Have you ever tried including sauteed carrots?

Hi, gallantwarrior!!! I just intended to ask you about the weather, because I'll go to Vladivostok this evening and for me it and Ankorage were "somewhere far far away and close there", but map says, it's about 5K km to you in addtion :) So I would be only a half closer... But... anyway - how the weather at the edge of Pacific Ocean? :)

Happy Birthday to Nosmo's brother. A brother or sister are really special people if we're lucky, and it sounds like Nosmo was really lucky. :)
My oldest and dearest friend, my friend for better than fifty years now is my age. His brother is my brother's age. My parents dated his parents while they were in high school together. We were all raised in the same church, we were all Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts together.

And the consistency in our family dynamic has born fruit. My friend is as close to his brother as I am with mine. We still all hang out together at parties, family reunions and, regrettably funerals. We know what brotherhood means and try to set an example for our growing families.

Frankly, I've never understood the dynamic of the dysfunctional family. Dysfunctional is not in my definition of 'family'. I pity those who do not treasure their kin. I hear stories of family members not speaking to each other for years. It's sad, and rather silly. The benefits of strong family are so overwhelming, why would anyone turn their backs on such a treasure?

I've never understood the idea that blood relations must be liked. Being related to someone is no guarantee you will like them as people. If someone is an ass, and you are related to them...they are still an ass. :p

Happy Birthday to Nosmo's brother. A brother or sister are really special people if we're lucky, and it sounds like Nosmo was really lucky. :)
My oldest and dearest friend, my friend for better than fifty years now is my age. His brother is my brother's age. My parents dated his parents while they were in high school together. We were all raised in the same church, we were all Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts together.

And the consistency in our family dynamic has born fruit. My friend is as close to his brother as I am with mine. We still all hang out together at parties, family reunions and, regrettably funerals. We know what brotherhood means and try to set an example for our growing families.

Frankly, I've never understood the dynamic of the dysfunctional family. Dysfunctional is not in my definition of 'family'. I pity those who do not treasure their kin. I hear stories of family members not speaking to each other for years. It's sad, and rather silly. The benefits of strong family are so overwhelming, why would anyone turn their backs on such a treasure?

I've never understood the idea that blood relations must be liked. Being related to someone is no guarantee you will like them as people. If someone is an ass, and you are related to them...they are still an ass. :p

That is true, and there are many dysfunctional families and a lot of people have one or more relatives they simply don't like or get along with.

The point is that Nosmo has a family he likes, respects, loves, and appreciates and also has close friends he feels the same way about. He is truly a blessed man.

Finally, TV and internet all fiber optic and wifi...... And fast!!! Need a new modem though, my relatively new Arris modem doesn't work with the fiber optic connection and all I had was an older Belkin AC1200. Will go to Wally World and pick up the Linksys AC1750 I put on hold.
What was kinda funny is they showed up, used a trencher to run to fiber from the alley hub, hooked me up for internet then asked me if there was anything else...... Uuummmm, where's the TV? You ordered TV? It's not on my work order....... :lol:
So the contractor went to the office, picked up the TV boxes and finally had them installed around 5:15. The TV in the living room is connected via wifi.

Last edited:
The point is that Nosmo has a family he likes, respects, loves, and appreciates and also has close friends he feels the same way about. He is truly a blessed man.

Foxfyre, no truer words have been spoken today... The great part about Kings relationship, it is reciprocated... I just have a few regrets in life... One of the things I think I always missed out on was having a flock of brothers and sisters... Being a only child was, well lets say different...

Foxfyre, no truer words have been spoken today... The great part about Kings relationship, it is reciprocated... I just have a few regrets in life... One of the things I think I always missed out on was having a flock of brothers and sisters... Being a only child was, well lets say different...

I hear you. i have a sister, but she is so much older than me that we had nothing in common when we were growing up so I essentially was raised as an only child. There are advantages and disadvantages to that but I too would have loved to have been in a large family.

We weren't the cast of With Twelve you get Eggroll. We were the statistically median Babyboomer era nuclear family. My brother and I are three and a half years apart, born in the shank of the Babyboom.

As a matter of fact, the Cold War played an ancillary role in our young lives. Folks born, as I was, in 1957 posted the lowest all time scores on the SAT and the ACT. The atmospheric nuclear testing out west was at it's peak. And those tests produced a nuclear poison. That poison drifted east along the jet stream and settled on this side of the Mississippi. I can't fathom the concentration of that poison from Missouri to California. Some believe that the testing warped our brains still growing under our fontanels. So, in service to our country, I take pride in being among those with below average college entry tests.

But I digress. The family dynamic I so love was planted in Mom and Pop's very DNA. When Pop was born his folks, my Grandparents lived in the same big house with Grandpa's parents. So, my Pop's family and my Gramdpa's older brother, my Uncle Alex and his wife, my Aunt Helen. Down the hall from them could be found my fabled Uncle Ducky, his younger brother my Uncle Robert and my aunts Dorothy and Louise.

The house must have groaned under all that humanity. Whenever we went out to dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant, Fiorello's, Pop would steer that big ol' Mercury through the streets of his old stompin' grounds and point out the revered house.

Mom, on the other hand, was really truly raised on a houseboat moored on the north bank of the Ohio River. Way before the Depression, but especially during the Depression, there were dozens of houseboats tied up along rickety docks on the riverfront. The lucky ones had electricity and running water. Mom was among the lucky. They were still mired in the perpetual skinned knee of growing up on the river and securing as many groceries as you can.

But Mom grew up with her Mom and Dad and her sisters Jeannie and Roxy. And Mom fell asleep every night the river was navigable with the rock-a-bye rhythm of the wake from paddle boats. And the lullaby music of the steam whistles on locomotives while the driving wheels provided a rhythm section. (the Army Corps. of Engineers dammed the river along with the WPA) She lived a latter day Huckleberry Finn lifestyle. She smiles and sighs, "It was wonderful!"

Two folks who had family love and respect as the pillars of their character met in high school. Pop was athletic and ran track. Mom was a cheerleader. They graduated in 1951 while Harry Truman was president. They married the day Dwight Eisenhower was sworn in in 1953.

Then, as the decade of Elvis and the Edsel simmered on, they began a family of their own. We weren't perfect. We are, afterall, humans. But we always stuck together. No doors were neither shut nor slammed. Everyone knew that we loved one another and why would you endanger that love?

Something like pasties.
Pasties??

No. My bierochs filling is quite cooked before encasing in a yeast bread dough--not pastry. So while the concept is similar, they are very different animals.

I have 2 brothers; 1 older, 1 younger. My parents got divorced when I was perhaps 8 years old, and my brothers and I all lived with my mother. By the time I was around 12 things had gotten so bad between my older brother and I that I ended up living with my father. I can remember hitting him (my older brother) with a bicycle pump and punching through the glass pane of a door trying to get to him. He was very good at getting under your skin, and liked to do it often. It was something that even adults noticed and occasionally would comment on. Mix that sort of instigation with the bad temper I inherited from my father and you ended up with a terrible combination. Looking back, it must have been worse than I remember, at least in the day to day stuff, for my mother to have been willing to let me leave to live with my father.

Clearly having siblings can be wonderful...but it can be crappy, too. :p You may not have missed out on anything you wanted to experience by being an only child. ;)

Last edited:
Picked up my new router today, just finished installing it and my wifi signal strength just went through the roof and my internet got even faster. I'm a happy camper...... in that arena, otherwise I'm exhausted, I'm still sore all over and now my feet hurt after shopping plus I could use a nap........

The dogs sometimes drive me crazy, and I'd prefer not having to deal with them, but they can be cute:

Sleeping Dogs.jpg

Of course, that's them laying right next to my chair, meaning I'll have to move them if I want to move my chair to the side at all. :p

I have good news,and bad news about my personal well being.

The good news is I went for my six monthly dental check up today, and the dentist said not only don't I need any work she had never seen my mouth looking so clean. I explained that is because ever since she told me at my last appointment that I might loose all my teeth from gum disease I have been flossing and using mouthwash.

The bad news is I just looked up the causes of dizzy spells when you stand up, and it says the cause is abnormal control of blood pressure. I suppose I will have to go to the doctors about it eventually.

I was oldest of eight, five brothers and three sisters. As adults, some of us get along quite well and have a blast whenever we can get together. Others, not so much. One sister hates all of us but will communicate with the youngest sister. One brother is in prison because he's an ass who has blown so many opportunities, he's not wasting anyone's time. One brother has already passed on. And one brother's wife considers the rest of us total reprobates and not worthy of her consideration. I try to keep up with some of them, but matching times and schedules can be challenging. But being part of a large family was a lot of fun growing up.

Forum List

Back