USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm baking a big batch of Calico Beans for a BBQ this afternoon. They smell DELISH!!!!
I would love it, the wife on the other hand doesn't do beans.

These are so easy to make, it's almost sinful. You just mix up cans of beans (pork-n-beans, kidney, lima and butter), with fried bacon, browned ground beef, onion, celery, ketchup, dry mustard, vinegar, salt, brown sugar and liquid smoke - and bake for 1.5 hours. It's not really cooking - just an easy Hot Dish.
Like my cabbage, onions and kielbasa, I can eat it for days on in but the wife hates it, cabbage and what she calls "hot dogs..........

I'm baking a big batch of Calico Beans for a BBQ this afternoon. They smell DELISH!!!!

These are so easy to make, it's almost sinful. You just mix up cans of beans (pork-n-beans, kidney, lima and butter), with fried bacon, browned ground beef, onion, celery, ketchup, dry mustard, vinegar, salt, brown sugar and liquid smoke - and bake for 1.5 hours. It's not really cooking - just an easy Hot Dish.
Like my cabbage, onions and kielbasa, I can eat it for days on in but the wife hates it, cabbage and what she calls "hot dogs..........

I love sausage and cabbage...and knockwurst and sauerkraut.

Love cabbage, not all that crazy about sauerkraut though.

I like fermented foods, except for kimchee. Can't stand that stuff.

Pretty close to our house specialty baked beans except I don't put hamburger in them. I might have to try that. I will mix navy, pinto, and pork n beans, and in a pinch black-eyed peas, but haven't used lima beans or butter beans that I have considered unfit for human consumption since I was a kid. :)

You might like my bierochs, another house speciality with indivdual servings of seasoned browned hamburger and sauteed cabbage and onion baked inside a bread dough.

You're like Pop in reverse. He loved dill pickles but could not stomach cucumbers.

I love sauerkraut and cabbage and cucumbers and pickles. I just don't eat poultry, mushrooms and melons of any sort.

So, I'm basically a farting old man without greasy fingers.

Pretty close to our house specialty baked beans except I don't put hamburger in them. I might have to try that. I will mix navy, pinto, and pork n beans, and in a pinch black-eyed peas, but haven't used lima beans or butter beans that I have considered unfit for human consumption since I was a kid. :)

I sometimes do the Calico Beans as vegetarian - leave out bacon and hamburger. The bit of liquid smoke is the key thing, imo - and lots of onion!

My tastes are pretty eclectic and include most ethnic cuisines, and there are no real taboos other than jellied eels and lima beans :), but food has to look good and smell good to me in order to be appealing.

And it depends on how fermented foods are used too. For instance I don't like to drink buttermilk, but it sure makes great biscuits. :)

My tastes are pretty eclectic and include most ethnic cuisines, and there are no real taboos other than jellied eels and lima beans :), but food has to look good and smell good to me in order to be appealing.

And it depends on how fermented foods are used too. For instance I don't like to drink buttermilk, but it sure makes great biscuits. :)

I've never tried jellied eels, can't say that the concept appeals to me, either.

I also can't stand drinking buttermilk, but it does make the best biscuits (with lard, of course).

Yum - hot, fresh-baked oat scone with currants.

I love having a Sunday morning at home with time to bake.

This morning I confirmed something I suspected for a while. Haven't had bananas for a while, last time I had one it gave me a mildly upset stomach. This morning I ate one which resulted in an almost instant sever upset stomach, I'm not allergic, I'm banana intolerant.

As are quite a few people.

Took me a bit but I tracked down this bit of information that was needed by another person at our house recently--we needed to know whether she was suffering an allergy, in which case I needed to adjust our cuisine here, or an intolerance. It is pretty easy to avoid eating bananas; not so easy to avoid all contact with them.

Hers is definite intolerance. But she found this piece on a 'York Test' site and means to correct the intolerance for some. Pretty pricey though. Don't know if she ever followed through.

If you suspect you are experiencing intolerance to banana you should first consult your GP to rule out a more serious cause for your symptoms. If your symptoms aren’t caused by an underlying condition, you might like to confirm whether food intolerance is the cause by taking a YorkTest food intolerance programme. Unlike allergies, intolerances aren’t always lifelong. It is possible to reintroduce trigger foods into the diet after a period of elimination so you might not have to miss out on that teatime banana bread forever.​
Could You Have a Banana Allergy or Intolerance? | YorkTest

This is my brother's 58th birthday! He is my one and only sibling. And I remember the day he was born. I was sheltered at Grandma's house on Avondale Street. It was a steamy, humid July day and Grandma kept me filled with popsicles. Dean, her dog, and I played in the fenced in backyard and got permission to go three doors down the street to Nick's Market to buy a Hershey bar. Nick's was one of the many neighborhood groceries that could not survive the advent of the supermarket.

Pop showed up beaming with pride around 3:00 that afternoon. He showed me a toy duck that was to be my gift to the new addition to the family. I remember wanting that duck for myself, but there was a higher calling and gallantry was what was needed then.

In the fifty eight years since, I grew to understand precisely what brotherhood entailed. Unconditional support, defense against the bullies, plotting and planning to our mutual benefit and devotion beyond measure. And I have received all that back ten fold in these years between his birth and today.

He's a far better man than I and I would walk through hell wearing a gasoline suit to keep him safe, happy and healthy.

So even though he is not a member of any message board, I would appeal to the Coffee Shop community to join me in wishing him a very happy birthday!

Happy Birthday to Nosmo's brother. A brother or sister are really special people if we're lucky, and it sounds like Nosmo was really lucky. :)

Happy Birthday to Nosmo's brother. A brother or sister are really special people if we're lucky, and it sounds like Nosmo was really lucky. :)
My oldest and dearest friend, my friend for better than fifty years now is my age. His brother is my brother's age. My parents dated his parents while they were in high school together. We were all raised in the same church, we were all Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts together.

And the consistency in our family dynamic has born fruit. My friend is as close to his brother as I am with mine. We still all hang out together at parties, family reunions and, regrettably funerals. We know what brotherhood means and try to set an example for our growing families.

Frankly, I've never understood the dynamic of the dysfunctional family. Dysfunctional is not in my definition of 'family'. I pity those who do not treasure their kin. I hear stories of family members not speaking to each other for years. It's sad, and rather silly. The benefits of strong family are so overwhelming, why would anyone turn their backs on such a treasure?

My oldest and dearest friend, my friend for better than fifty years now is my age. His brother is my brother's age. My parents dated his parents while they were in high school together. We were all raised in the same church, we were all Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts together.

And the consistency in our family dynamic has born fruit. My friend is as close to his brother as I am with mine. We still all hang out together at parties, family reunions and, regrettably funerals. We know what brotherhood means and try to set an example for our growing families.

Frankly, I've never understood the dynamic of the dysfunctional family. Dysfunctional is not in my definition of 'family'. I pity those who do not treasure their kin. I hear stories of family members not speaking to each other for years. It's sad, and rather silly. The benefits of strong family are so overwhelming, why would anyone turn their backs on such a treasure?

I don't know, but it happens. So I appreciate that you count your blessings with the family you have, whether by blood or by the bond of brotherly love..

I got a visit from Jehovah Witnesses today. I always try to be nice to them I figure enough people are probably mean to them.
My sister is a Jovie. She sent some associates to visit me once. After about three minutes of their presentation, we were swapping moose recipes and talking about fishing! Really, they're people like the rest of us, mostly. Once, I joked with my sister that she was kinda like an Amway saleswoman for god. She laughed and agreed that it might appear like that at times.

I got a visit from Jehovah Witnesses today. I always try to be nice to them I figure enough people are probably mean to them.

Good for you. When we lived up on the mountain, on days I wasn't working outside the home and Hombre was working out of town, I would get so lonely I invited the Jehovah Witnesses in. No, I wasn't a candidate for conversion, but they were actually lovely people and good company.
That's better than what happened when a friend of mine sent the Mormon "elders" to visit me. First, I guess they are not supposed to accept refreshments. I invited them in and took them to the visitors' parlor, furnished in part with velvet wing chairs. The two youngsters promptly took to armchairs and set up their presentation. How unfortunate that one of them was allergic to cats. At the time I was fostering homeless cats and I think there must have been a dozen in residence. Kid broke out, drooled and sniveled, but he did gamely soldier on. Needless to say, he did not return for the next session.

I've discovered that kimchee takes many different forms. That comes from working with and befriending Koreans who love to cook and to share.

Forum List

Back