USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hmm ! I have just thought of a problem with sending frozen eggs into space. I was thinking test tube baby's are grown in a test tube. But actually when the egg is fertilized the egg is planted into a female womb to grow.
To grow eggs to baby's without a womb would require technology we probably don't have, and may never be able to create.
We have the technology.
Researchers Have Successfully Grown Premature Lambs in an Artificial Womb

Wow ! So my idea of sending frozen eggs into space is a possibility. All we need now is robots that are intelligent enough to rear them. This means we could send ships to the stars, even if it took hundreds of years to get to a habitable planet. There are other issues, like what psychological effects children being brought up by robots without human adults, would suffer from. But the possibility of colonising space by this method exists.

DiXng0OXkAAL_xU.jpg

Utter chaos on the family front. Sherry's Mom entered Hospice three weeks ago which is why we have been absent. I will let Sherry update you guys if she wants. Her Mom is a remarkable woman. I would not wish what she is going through on anyone.

Haven't played much guitar lately but I learned this instrumental a few days ago as a stress relief. Hope you like.

Mother Nature's Son

Last edited:
Utter chaos on the family front. Sherry's Mom entered Hospice three weeks ago which is why we have been absent. I will let Sherry update you guys if she wants. Her Mom is a remarkable woman. I would not wish what she is going through on anyone.

Haven't played much guitar lately but I learned this instrumental a few days ago as a stress relief. Hope you like.

Mother Nature's Son
Sorry to know that you all, and especially Sherry's mom, are going through difficult times. Sending the best vibes your way.

Mother Nature's Son

So sorry WQ and mom-in-law, you and Sherry and family will definitely have my prayers and/or positive vibes. And I am sure also those of many others of your friends here.

Last edited:
Wooh scary ! Its Friday the thirteenth, and its a full moon. The witches will be busy tonight.

For myself I could not sleep, but while laying awake I thought up how we can send the human race to other stars systems. Its a very simple idea which is almost do able with existing technology.

You build an atomic powered space ship and man it with artificially intelligent robots. You then load it with frozen human eggs and sperm. Also farmyard animals and crop seeds. The robots would fly the ship to a habitable planet, then build farms and create animals from the frozen stock. When they had suitable habitation and food supplies the robots would create human babies and rear them and teach them.

The mother ship computer would have all human knowledge in its memory banks and the space ship would require no oxygen , fuel, water or food. Its do able, don't you think?
You've been reading Robert Heinlein then?

Never heard of him.

You would probably enjoy reading him Dajjal. He really is the guru or father of modern science fiction I think. He changed it to become less of a purely fantasy entertainment genre to one that could deal with complex dynamics of sociopolitical influences within cultures and civilizations. Whether you agree with his take on all that or not, he is a good read.

His books almost always make the best best sellers lists and receive 5 stars on Amazon.

I have a fairly large library of books I have collected over my lifetime, but very little of it is fiction. I have classics of fiction like Aldous Huxley's ' brave new world' and Herman Hesse books, and 1984 by George Orwell.
But apart from that my library is largely non fiction, and a lot of it is philosophy and religion. I have a lot of unread books of that type, so no time to read more science fiction, no matter how good it is.

I am currently reading Bertrand Russell, 'history of western philosophy' I have had it for years and finally got around to reading it.

This summer I have been traveling a lot and have an audio book club I listen to on the road. I like reading but for some reason reading in the car gets me sleepy.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter), complications post op surgery
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition
Peace and strength for Sherry's mom, for WQ, and the family

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

1701873924-william-wordsworth-quote-there-is-a-comfort-in-the-strength-of-love-t.jpg

I've got someone willing to try to put the A/C parts in my car, but he doesn't have the pump to take the current coolant out. I called a few places about it, and the prices were crazy: $80 was the low end. I was able to talk to a smaller local place, the first place that looked at my A/C actually, and they said they'd evacuate the A/C for $50. I went in just a little while ago, and it only took them a few minutes because I had so little refrigerant in there. The guy knocked the price down to just $22. Yay!

Now I've got my fingers crossed that on either Sunday or Monday, I'll have a working A/C in my car. I plan to drive to FL the first week of August, so I really, really would like to be able to cool off the car. 8 hours of nothing but the outside air to keep me cool while going from GA to FL will suck. :p

Finally somewhat rested enough to start tackling the mess that is boxes, etc everywhere. We're using the smallest bedroom for storage and stuff was basically tossed willy-nilly in there during the move so organizing it was the primary goal for the day. It's done and I more than doubled the available space in the room. Next will be my "office" which entails temporarily moving stuff into the small room, digging items out of the garage and setting them up in the office then I can unpack the temporarily moved boxes.
Uummmm, so that's what squirrel tastes like........

Sweet corn and tomatoes are cluttering up every farm stand in the valley. It's a glorious time of year. I've had at least one ear of corn with dinner every night this week. And BLTs have been part of my luncheon fare all week too!

Daisy the Mutt is overdue for a bath. She got her Frontline treatment Monday, so that precludes bathing for three days. Usually the day she gets her Frontline is also the day she gets her Heartguard heartworm medicine. The combination of the two makes her a bit loughy. So her heartworm medicine, which she regards as a treat, happened today.

We are off to the park for our daily walk. Yesterday was a magnificent day! Clear and breezy with comfortable temperatures made the walk more contemplative than usual for a summer sojourn. How green our slice of America is! You cannot walk on a day like this without being overwhelmed with the color green!

So, off we go! We'll be back in time for more corn and the Pittsburgh Pirates game. Only one game under .500 with half the season to go. Hope springs eternal!

My house a/c is not working properly. I think it is a issue with the coolant and/or compressor. Figures, I just committed to getting some car repairs done. I knew this year was a maintenance year. Hopefully I can get most of them handled without spending too much.

I've got someone willing to try to put the A/C parts in my car, but he doesn't have the pump to take the current coolant out. I called a few places about it, and the prices were crazy: $80 was the low end. I was able to talk to a smaller local place, the first place that looked at my A/C actually, and they said they'd evacuate the A/C for $50. I went in just a little while ago, and it only took them a few minutes because I had so little refrigerant in there. The guy knocked the price down to just $22. Yay!

Now I've got my fingers crossed that on either Sunday or Monday, I'll have a working A/C in my car. I plan to drive to FL the first week of August, so I really, really would like to be able to cool off the car. 8 hours of nothing but the outside air to keep me cool while going from GA to FL will suck. :p
Good luck, Montro! I'd be dying here if I didn't have A/C in my car or truck.

Finally somewhat rested enough to start tackling the mess that is boxes, etc everywhere. We're using the smallest bedroom for storage and stuff was basically tossed willy-nilly in there during the move so organizing it was the primary goal for the day. It's done and I more than doubled the available space in the room. Next will be my "office" which entails temporarily moving stuff into the small room, digging items out of the garage and setting them up in the office then I can unpack the temporarily moved boxes.
Uummmm, so that's what squirrel tastes like........
You oughtta be a pro at this packing/unpacking gig by now.

Sweet corn and tomatoes are cluttering up every farm stand in the valley. It's a glorious time of year. I've had at least one ear of corn with dinner every night this week. And BLTs have been part of my luncheon fare all week too!

Daisy the Mutt is overdue for a bath. She got her Frontline treatment Monday, so that precludes bathing for three days. Usually the day she gets her Frontline is also the day she gets her Heartguard heartworm medicine. The combination of the two makes her a bit loughy. So her heartworm medicine, which she regards as a treat, happened today.

We are off to the park for our daily walk. Yesterday was a magnificent day! Clear and breezy with comfortable temperatures made the walk more contemplative than usual for a summer sojourn. How green our slice of America is! You cannot walk on a day like this without being overwhelmed with the color green!

So, off we go! We'll be back in time for more corn and the Pittsburgh Pirates game. Only one game under .500 with half the season to go. Hope springs eternal!
Among the advantages of living in Alaska is the lack of heartworms and other parasites that tend to plague four-leggers down your way. Fleas are rare, too. I have also never had to deal with lice one my goats or chickens. There are some advantages to living in the Frozen North (at least part of the time).

My house a/c is not working properly. I think it is a issue with the coolant and/or compressor. Figures, I just committed to getting some car repairs done. I knew this year was a maintenance year. Hopefully I can get most of them handled without spending too much.
Compressor........ Ouch!! Hopefully it's nothing more than a coolant leak and even that's expensive but no where near as costly as a compressor.

I'm glad my issues are just with my car A/C...I couldn't deal with no A/C in the house, but that would take too large a chunk out of my savings if I had to pay for something like that.

Hopefully your home A/C problems end up being easily (or at least relatively cheaply) fixable.

Among the advantages of living in Alaska is the lack of heartworms and other parasites that tend to plague four-leggers down your way. Fleas are rare, too. I have also never had to deal with lice one my goats or chickens. There are some advantages to living in the Frozen North (at least part of the time).
The veterinarian told me that heartworm is a mosquito borne disease. I have heard you have mosquitoes the size of Piper Cubs in Alaska. Do you have ticks there?

Way back from n 1988 I had a project that took me to the mouth of the Donnecticut River. We were mapping the river bottom so a new fiber optic cable could be laid. At the river's mouth lays the picturesque village of Old Lyme. That is the town that leant its name to the tick borne,Lyme disease. I was there the summer the outbreak started. How did I manage to dodge that bullet?

I'd probably feel comfortable (or cool) in your weather, but it's all relative, of course. :D

The veterinarian told me that heartworm is a mosquito borne disease. I have heard you have mosquitoes the size of Piper Cubs in Alaska. Do you have ticks there?

Way back from n 1988 I had a project that took me to the mouth of the Donnecticut River. We were mapping the river bottom so a new fiber optic cable could be laid. At the river's mouth lays the picturesque village of Old Lyme. That is the town that leant its name to the tick borne,Lyme disease. I was there the summer the outbreak started. How did I manage to dodge that bullet?
Yes, some mosquitoes are quite large. Those don't leave a welt. The tiny ones are a real PITA, though. Right now we're having a huge black fly problem. I have ordered some fly predators and the chickens and turkeys are doing their best, but these things are totally out of control.
No heartworms, at least in this neck o'the woods. And no ticks up here, either. The squirrels have lice, though, and you should see them abandon ship when the carcasses start to cool. They're also experiencing an outbreak of tularemia in the interior right now. Don't eat the bunnies, don't let your dogs eat the bunnies, bunnies bad right now.

I'd probably feel comfortable (or cool) in your weather, but it's all relative, of course. :D
70 degrees is stink hot here. I almost die sweating when I have to go out to feed and water my critters. I'm just thankful that I work at night when things cool off to a reasonable 55, or so. We're working in short sleeves and some even in shorts right now and I'm still sweating like a piggy! Yes, temperature is relative.

Forum List

Back