USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hi all! I was kindly directed here by lumpy. I'm new here but have ample time to chat in the summer (as you can see) because I'm a teacher. But as July turns to August I will spend more time on schoolwork. Hubby and I will celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary next month and we have two children. Our son is 21 and daughter is 19. Son will begin his last year of college and daughter her first year late next month--hello empty nest!

Looking forward to getting to know some nice folks!

Foxfyre usually does this, but new people always get a first-timer's complementary beverage, as GW pointed out. I'm comfortable with my image searching skills, so here's one for you! :p

RuIHryCRnwtVRm4Aof_Fu4L9Oia6ReWuiFA0BlGz-nw.jpg

I thought this went well with your name. Hope you enjoy the Coffee Shop! :D

Thank you, that looks lovely and refreshing, perfect for summer!

Hi all! I was kindly directed here by lumpy. I'm new here but have ample time to chat in the summer (as you can see) because I'm a teacher. But as July turns to August I will spend more time on schoolwork. Hubby and I will celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary next month and we have two children. Our son is 21 and daughter is 19. Son will begin his last year of college and daughter her first year late next month--hello empty nest!

Welcome SweetSue92. So happy to meet you and any friend of Lumpy's is a friend of ours. We hope you find the Coffee Shop a pleasant refuge form the sometime contentiousness out there on the other forums. So settle in and make yourself at home. First timers receive a complimentary beverage, and since it is the wee hours of the morning that I was able to check in, we'll make it a nightvcap:

2014-03-23-06.54.56.jpg

Ooooooh, that looks really good too and fancy! I like it. It almost looks too pretty to drink but...I would drink it anyway! Thanks for the warm welcome!

I just checked amazon for the dvd set of the TV series 'electric dreams' and it has been released. It is well worth getting, but do not confuse it with the film of the same name.

Good morning and greetings CS denizens!
Still too hot for comfort here, by Alaskan standards. We've been lurching into the high 60s and low 70s almost every day for a couple of weeks. Of course, it's not just the hoomans who suffer. The animals are all sprawled in any shady place they can find and the turkeys are even panting!:shok:
I've been having varmint problems the last couple of days. First, I thought maybe the goats had knocked a container of dog food over. But these are really small goats and I doubt they would have been able to also tear the handle off another container of chicken chow. Hhhmmm.... Maybe the yard dog did the crime? So, I cleaned up the mess and went for my nap. When I got up, the dog food container was not only knocked over but partially squashed. Cleaned things up again, there wasn't any dog food left in the container now, anyhow. Then I came home from work and a big, heavy-duty fish tote with over 400 lbs of food had been knocked on its side and the lid flung away. Bags of chicken scratch and goat chow had been torn open and scattered. A few things on the front porch had been torn up and scattered, as were a few bags of trash waiting to go to the dump. Nope! Not goats, not the dog. Seems I have a bear problem. Guess I'll spend my weekend staking out the fish tote. My fear is that as soon as the bear runs out of other food my goats and fowl will be next on the menu. Unfortunately, once a bear finds an easy source of food, it will stay until that source is exhausted. I've already been hit three times in two days. And it's just too damned hot to skin and butcher all that meat!:boo_hoo14:

Foxfyre usually does this, but new people always get a first-timer's complementary beverage, as GW pointed out. I'm comfortable with my image searching skills, so here's one for you! :p

RuIHryCRnwtVRm4Aof_Fu4L9Oia6ReWuiFA0BlGz-nw.jpg

I thought this went well with your name. Hope you enjoy the Coffee Shop! :D

Thank you, that looks lovely and refreshing, perfect for summer!
Hello Foxfire and everyone and welcome to you SweetSue92 people at the forum are nice I live in France and I love the summer but it's often too hot hot we have a heat wave that happens this week.
But it's soon the holidays all the month of August to enjoy this beautiful season:thup:

Still too hot for comfort here, by Alaskan standards. We've been lurching into the high 60s and low 70s almost every day for a couple of weeks. Of course, it's not just the hoomans who suffer. The animals are all sprawled in any shady place they can find and the turkeys are even panting!:shok:
I've been having varmint problems the last couple of days. First, I thought maybe the goats had knocked a container of dog food over. But these are really small goats and I doubt they would have been able to also tear the handle off another container of chicken chow. Hhhmmm.... Maybe the yard dog did the crime? So, I cleaned up the mess and went for my nap. When I got up, the dog food container was not only knocked over but partially squashed. Cleaned things up again, there wasn't any dog food left in the container now, anyhow. Then I came home from work and a big, heavy-duty fish tote with over 400 lbs of food had been knocked on its side and the lid flung away. Bags of chicken scratch and goat chow had been torn open and scattered. A few things on the front porch had been torn up and scattered, as were a few bags of trash waiting to go to the dump. Nope! Not goats, not the dog. Seems I have a bear problem. Guess I'll spend my weekend staking out the fish tote. My fear is that as soon as the bear runs out of other food my goats and fowl will be next on the menu. Unfortunately, once a bear finds an easy source of food, it will stay until that source is exhausted. I've already been hit three times in two days. And it's just too damned hot to skin and butcher all that meat!:boo_hoo14:

Is it legal to shoot a rogue bear there? It wouldn't be here in any circumstance other than an extreme emergency.

Is it legal to shoot a rogue bear there? It wouldn't be here in any circumstance other than an extreme emergency.

Not knowing the laws in Alaska, I will refrain from answering that question... I will say under the circumstances GW has explained he may not have to many options... I assume that the Wildlife Officers may want to try to trap the critter and relocate said animal... If the bear is harming any livestock in my world he/she would be bear stew...

Another gig last night, great time, grand bar , but man the equipment seems to weight 2X's going out what it did in....:) ~S~

Make it a pet! Who doesn't want a fuzzy bear pet? :p

In this area there is no closed season and a three bear limit for black bears. It is closed to killing brown bear, but in this case, it would be a DLP case. (Defense of life and property) If this is a brown bear, I will have to surrender both meat and hide to the Fur and Feathers people. Not a big inconvenience, knowing that a possible threat is dead and gone. A black bear, however, brings the bonus of meat and a pelt. We'll see how this all turns out. We've been having a tremendous bear problem this year. At least two people have been mauled very close to Anchorage, a major population center. Up here...a different situation altogether.

Not knowing the laws in Alaska, I will refrain from answering that question... I will say under the circumstances GW has explained he may not have to many options... I assume that the Wildlife Officers may want to try to trap the critter and relocate said animal... If the bear is harming any livestock in my world he/she would be bear stew...
Trap and relocate has not proved very successful with human habituated bears. The fact that this bear went for the dog food and then the molasses in a big way indicates that it became habituated by the "hunters" running bear bait stations the last month, or so, those being favored options to bait bear. A bear that threatens life or property, particularly livestock, is considered more than a nuisance. I just hope the situation resolve itself before the beast starts killing goats and chickens.

Make it a pet! Who doesn't want a fuzzy bear pet? :p
Funny you mention that. I called work and told them I might not be able to make it. They decided to cut my partner loose a half day early and give him an extra day off to cover for me here at the homestead. Says a lot about our relative value to our employer. But my partner would be far more likely to want to make a pet of the animal than to shoot it. Yeah, sure, send me Ellie Mae Clampet to protect the farmstead...

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter), complications post op surgery
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition
Sherry, WelfareQueen,, and family with Sherry's mom in Hospice.

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

Albuquerque saw its first uncomfortable 100 degree f day today. Yes, it is all relative but that is hot even for us. I imagine our Arizona folks are seeing worse as are the folks in the Texas Panhandle and South Plains who have seen temps over 110 this week. So whether we are in England or France or north or east or south or west, hoping for cooler days ahead... . .
climate-cold-glacier-iceberg.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-23_0-10-24.png
    upload_2018-7-23_0-10-24.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 16
I just dodged a bullet! I almost had to lubricate the chihuahua's penis. :puke:

His penis had come out and wasn't going back down. Apparently that's somewhat uncommon but can be a real problem, and one of the things you can do at home is lubricate it to hope that helps it retract into the sheath. Thankfully it ended up going back in on its own after a while. :thankusmile:

Another gig last night, great time, grand bar , but man the equipment seems to weight 2X's going out what it did in....:) ~S~

Hey sparky. You look familiar but your name isn't on the Coffee Shop list so I will assume this is your first visit to the Coffee Shop? And therefore welcome. Are you a musician? And I don't know where you hail from, but I'll assume you're enduring the dog days of summer along with the rest of us and will order you something tall and cold for your first timer's complimentary beverage. :)

e0b6168fc77298ddb71f2bd6a5d1e1c8.jpg

Hey sparky. You look familiar but your name isn't on the Coffee Shop list so I will assume this is your first visit to the Coffee Shop? And therefore welcome. Are you a musician? And I don't know where you hail from, but I'll assume you're enduring the dog days of summer along with the rest of us and will order you something tall and cold for your first timer's complimentary beverage. :)

Well i do thank you foxfyre , and that looks mighty good. :) No , i have no idea how to sign up, i'm an idiot with this device, sorry :( . And i hail from Vermont, i'm a full timer 'sparky', a part time 'musician', and as well as a retired ex-emt /ff ,30 yrs service , as well as aspiring farmer

thx

~S~

Well i do thank you foxfyre , and that looks mighty good. :) No , i have no idea how to sign up, i'm an idiot with this device, sorry :( . And i hail from Vermont, i'm a full timer 'sparky', a part time 'musician', and as well as a retired ex-emt /ff ,30 yrs service , as well as aspiring farmer

thx

~S~

There's no real signing up for the Coffee Shop. Foxfyre just started a tradition of giving anyone who posts here a complementary beverage long ago. She started this thread years ago in the first Coffee Shop, and she takes the time and makes the effort to know who has posted here before and who is posting in the CS for the first time. It's more work than I'd put into it. :p

Forum List

Back