USMB Coffee Shop IV

I loaded "low calorie fruits" into Bing! and found a good solution for those of us who have to use anything and everything just to prevent ballooning into a larger size because our ability to burn calories goes out the window with aging. Love ya!

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

In 2006 my late husband and I went to Canada and rode a train from someplace East of Toronto to Vancouver, which is practically on the Western Coast of Canada. Somewhere along the line, we stopped for sightseeing purposes, it might have been in an extremely posh hotel in Toronto. Anyhow, I asked for soup, and they furnished this wonderful bowl of pumpkin soup. I wish I had the recipe. I've been reading good things about pumpkins in the local grocery's nutrition magazines, and it's mind-boggling what their nutritive benefits prevent.

xpumpkin-2.png.pagespeed.ic.RPXS52_SeW.jpg

Pumpkin fruit is one of the widely grown vegetables incredibly rich in vital antioxidants, and vitamins. Though this humble backyard vegetable is low in calories, nonetheless, it packed with vitamin-A, and flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants such as lutein, xanthin, and carotenes in abundance.

Pumpkin is a fast-growing vine that creeps along the surface in a similar fashion as that of other Cucurbitaceae family vegetables and fruits such as cucumber, squash, cantaloupes, etc. It is one of the most popular field crops cultivated around the world, including in the USA at commercial scale for its fruit, and seeds.

Health Benefits of Pumpkin
  • It is one of the very low-calorie vegetables. 100 g fruit provides just 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; however, it is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins. The vegetable is one of the food items recommended by dieticians in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.

• Pumpkin is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C, and vitamin-E.

• At 7,384 mg per 100 g, it is one of the vegetables in the Cucurbitaceae family featuring highest levels of vitamin-A, providing about 246% of RDA. Vitamin-A is a powerful natural antioxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of skin and mucosa. It is also an essential vitamin for good eyesight. Research studies suggest that natural foods rich in vitamin-A may help the human body protect against lung and oral cavity cancers.

• It is also an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß-carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein, and zeaxanthin. Carotenes convert into vitamin-A inside the human body.

• Zea-xanthin is a natural anti-oxidant which has UV (ultra-violet) rays filtering actions in the macula lutea in the retina of the eyes. Thus, it may offer protection from "age-related macular disease" (ARMD) in the older adults.

• The fruit is a good source of the B-complex group of vitamins like folates, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin, and pantothenic acid.

• It is also a rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.

• Pumpkin seeds Pumpkin seeds indeed are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, which are good for heart health. Also, the seeds are concentrated sources of protein, minerals, and health-benefiting vitamins. For instance, 100 g of pumpkin seeds provide 559 calories, 30 g of protein, 110% RDA of iron, 4987 mg of niacin (31% RDA), selenium (17% of RDA), zinc (71%), etc., but zero cholesterol. Further, the seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan converted into GABA in the brain.

• Credits (if the forum allows it): Pumpkin nutrition facts and health benefits

Hey, my two days are up, and the link above actually worked! :WooHooSmileyWave-vi:

And while I'm here, if you have vision loss, I ran across this a few weeks ago called the Outback Protocol. However since their website is one of those sales items, I am furnishing a link that tells both the pros and cons of the Outback Vision Protocol, which sells a product. This is the defining and pro and con site, and before you buy anything, you should use a search engine to find out if anyone failed to receive the claims of a product you are interested in. Just sayin'.

Furthermore, you can amass a phytonutrient called zeazanthin reasonably cheaply, but it's only one of the dozen or so nutrients needed in the above-mentioned protocol, so if you buy them all to find out if the program works in a restorative way, you'll probably be paying through the nose. Preventing blindness ain't cheap, but it's cheaper than surgery which for some folks is risky business. Well, so are allergies if you have an overload of them. Self-care is a challenge when you pass the 65 mph flag. That's why I'm so glad Ringel posted his delightful soup recipe above. I'm gonna copy it and go out to the store if I don't have the ingredients around here.

The Outback Vision Protocol by Bill Campbell - Full Review

Last edited:
Comfort food dinner tonight. Made a broccoli, chicken, cheddar cheese, rice casserole.......... It was delicious.

Simple recipe:
Diced cooked chicken (I used half a leftover store bought rotisserie chicken and one leftover individual breast from a previous meal)
1 10.8 oz bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed
2 tsps onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
salt ad pepper to taste
2 cups cooked rice
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can broccoli cheddar soup
1 emptied soup can filled with water
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Pe-heat oven for 350 degrees, mix all the above ingredients and place in a large casserole dish, bake for 40 minutes. :thup:

Later this week I'm looking at making a chicken, spinach, feta bake either that or a chicken with apple and cranberry "stir fry".

I had broccoli and chicken, too...

Of course, I had frozen broccoli which I microwaved in a bowl with a little water, and the chicken was in a chicken pot pie I also microwaved. :lol:
Hopefully it was a Marie Callender's........... :D

LOL, nope! Banquet. :p
Well then never have a Marie's, you'll never eat Banquet ever again..........
Ah, you skinny men! If you had us girls' hormones, you would drop your teeth if you knew that Marie furnishes 820 calories (perfect for a he-man) whereas Banquet furnishes 240 calories. (Fat Secret sez so and so does My Fitness Pal. I don't think I can use linking privileges for another day or two.) And that's no guarantee. If we have girl stress about anything, our bodies turn oxygen into calories, I think. What was I thinking when I got here the other day? I wannabe freedombecki again, but I blithely used a different family name than my 72-year-old nickname, which was bestowed upon me in the cradle and is nowhere on my birth certificate. It was okay until the age of computers started. :cranky:

Agree on the calorie content of various foods. And at my age, I'm finding shedding the unwanted pounds to be much more difficult than it was in my 20's, 30's, 40's, even 50's.

Re the name, it is a shame to lose all your record as Freedombecki. I would contact a friendly Mod--Kat is our primary mentor here in the Coffee Shop--and ask how that is done. I know they change names for members all the time or maybe they can give you a password to get back to being Freedombecki and then ban Beautress so you don't have multiple accounts.

Hey, my two days are up, and the link above actually worked! :WooHooSmileyWave-vi:

And while I'm here, if you have vision loss, I ran across this a few weeks ago called the Outback Protocol. However since their website is one of those sales items, I am furnishing a link that tells both the pros and cons of the Outback Vision Protocol, which sells a product. This is the defining and pro and con site, and before you buy anything, you should use a search engine to find out if anyone failed to receive the claims of a product you are interested in. Just sayin'.

Furthermore, you can amass a phytonutrient called zeazanthin reasonably cheaply, but it's only one of the dozen or so nutrients needed in the above-mentioned protocol, so if you buy them all to find out if the program works in a restorative way, you'll probably be paying through the nose. Preventing blindness ain't cheap, but it's cheaper than surgery which for some folks is risky business. Well, so are allergies if you have an overload of them. Self-care is a challenge when you pass the 65 mph flag. That's why I'm so glad Ringel posted his delightful soup recipe above. I'm gonna copy it and go out to the store if I don't have the ingredients around here.

Interesting stuff. I have been far more interested in the holistic approach to healing and health so it is especially interesting to me. Was thinking about your fibromyalgia and you might want to look up the Budwig Protocol though be careful that you are reading the real things and not one of the pretenders out there. Most commonly used to deal with cancer holistically, it also can be very beneficial for anybody suffering from autoimmune kinds of issues--arthritis, etc.

Comfort food dinner tonight. Made a broccoli, chicken, cheddar cheese, rice casserole.......... It was delicious.

Simple recipe:
Diced cooked chicken (I used half a leftover store bought rotisserie chicken and one leftover individual breast from a previous meal)
2 tsps onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
salt ad pepper to taste
2 cups cooked rice
1 can cream of mushroom
1/4 cup sour cream

Pe-heat oven for 350 degrees, mix all the above ingredients and place in a large casserole dish, bake for 40 minutes. :thup:

Later this week I'm looking at making a chicken, spinach, feta bake either that or a chicken with apple and cranberry "stir fry".

Of course, I had frozen broccoli which I microwaved in a bowl with a little water, and the chicken was in a chicken pot pie I also microwaved. :lol:

Ah, you skinny men! If you had us girls' hormones, you would drop your teeth if you knew that Marie furnishes 820 calories (perfect for a he-man) whereas Banquet furnishes 240 calories. (Fat Secret sez so and so does My Fitness Pal. I don't think I can use linking privileges for another day or two.) And that's no guarantee. If we have girl stress about anything, our bodies turn oxygen into calories, I think. What was I thinking when I got here the other day? I wannabe freedombecki again, but I blithely used a different family name than my 72-year-old nickname, which was bestowed upon me in the cradle and is nowhere on my birth certificate. It was okay until the age of computers started. :cranky:
Skinny? I wish and still work at it. I talk about all this wonderfully tasting, high sodium, high fat, carcinogenic, smell it and gain weight food but in truth rarely eat much of it, portions. Extra helpings consist of veggies or fruit........ Can't remember the last time I ate a Marie Callender's but I know it was this year.......... Calories are old school, it's a VERY inexact science, concentrate on simple carb count as well as sodium content, fat's not that big of a deal unless it makes up the majority of intake. Portions is the key, no more super sizing and since I'm not out expending huge amounts of energy every day I find I don't need a high fat breakfast like I did 20 years ago so a high fiber morning intake is better for me. I also do not do low fat, don't do high fat either, low fat products typically have added sweetener to give them flavor, that's worse than the fat.

Simple recipe:
2 tsps onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
salt ad pepper to taste
2 cups cooked rice
1 can cream of mushroom
1/4 cup sour cream

You underestimate my desire to buy the cheaper options. ;)

I loaded "low calorie fruits" into Bing! and found a good solution for those of us who have to use anything and everything just to prevent ballooning into a larger size because our ability to burn calories goes out the window with aging. Love ya!

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

In 2006 my late husband and I went to Canada and rode a train from someplace East of Toronto to Vancouver, which is practically on the Western Coast of Canada. Somewhere along the line, we stopped for sightseeing purposes, it might have been in an extremely posh hotel in Toronto. Anyhow, I asked for soup, and they furnished this wonderful bowl of pumpkin soup. I wish I had the recipe. I've been reading good things about pumpkins in the local grocery's nutrition magazines, and it's mind-boggling what their nutritive benefits prevent.

Pumpkin fruit is one of the widely grown vegetables incredibly rich in vital antioxidants, and vitamins. Though this humble backyard vegetable is low in calories, nonetheless, it packed with vitamin-A, and flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants such as lutein, xanthin, and carotenes in abundance.

Pumpkin is a fast-growing vine that creeps along the surface in a similar fashion as that of other Cucurbitaceae family vegetables and fruits such as cucumber, squash, cantaloupes, etc. It is one of the most popular field crops cultivated around the world, including in the USA at commercial scale for its fruit, and seeds.

• It is one of the very low-calorie vegetables. 100 g fruit provides just 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; however, it is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins. The vegetable is one of the food items recommended by dieticians in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.

• Pumpkin is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C, and vitamin-E.

• At 7,384 mg per 100 g, it is one of the vegetables in the Cucurbitaceae family featuring highest levels of vitamin-A, providing about 246% of RDA. Vitamin-A is a powerful natural antioxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of skin and mucosa. It is also an essential vitamin for good eyesight. Research studies suggest that natural foods rich in vitamin-A may help the human body protect against lung and oral cavity cancers.

• It is also an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß-carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein, and zeaxanthin. Carotenes convert into vitamin-A inside the human body.

• Zea-xanthin is a natural anti-oxidant which has UV (ultra-violet) rays filtering actions in the macula lutea in the retina of the eyes. Thus, it may offer protection from "age-related macular disease" (ARMD) in the older adults.

• The fruit is a good source of the B-complex group of vitamins like folates, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin, and pantothenic acid.

• It is also a rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.

• Pumpkin seeds Pumpkin seeds indeed are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, which are good for heart health. Also, the seeds are concentrated sources of protein, minerals, and health-benefiting vitamins. For instance, 100 g of pumpkin seeds provide 559 calories, 30 g of protein, 110% RDA of iron, 4987 mg of niacin (31% RDA), selenium (17% of RDA), zinc (71%), etc., but zero cholesterol. Further, the seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan converted into GABA in the brain.

I only eat pumpkin in things like pumpkin pie, so I'm pretty sure any health benefits are offset by the negatives. :lol:

Simple recipe:
2 tsps onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
salt ad pepper to taste
2 cups cooked rice
1 can cream of mushroom
1/4 cup sour cream

I got past that stage many, many, many years ago...... God willing I won't have to go back to it as I advance in age........
It's just that MC's is soooooooooo much tastier than Banquet, MC's has real (full flavored) ingredients which is why it's typically twice the price. MC's uses quality ingredients, Banquet uses the floor sweepings.......... :D

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

Interesting however squashs are technically fruits not vegetables.........

I got past that stage many, many, many years ago...... God willing I won't have to go back to it as I advance in age........
It's just that MC's is soooooooooo much tastier than Banquet, MC's has real (full flavored) ingredients which is why it's typically twice the price. MC's uses quality ingredients, Banquet uses the floor sweepings.......... :D

Banquet tastes fine to me. It's a pot pie, I'm not expecting all that much, anyway. :lol:

Banquet tastes fine to me. It's a pot pie, I'm not expecting all that much, anyway. :lol:
When I was growing up lots of stuff we were fed tasted great to me, It's all we knew, once I grew up and discovered real food everything changed. There are "foods" I was raised on that I wouldn't eat today even if I was starving.

Interesting stuff. I have been far more interested in the holistic approach to healing and health so it is especially interesting to me. Was thinking about your fibromyalgia and you might want to look up the Budwig Protocol though be careful that you are reading the real things and not one of the pretenders out there. Most commonly used to deal with cancer holistically, it also can be very beneficial for anybody suffering from autoimmune kinds of issues--arthritis, etc.
After a blood test that showed my calcium blood level was abnormal, she catscanned my neck to see if my parathyroids were okay, Foxy. Sure enough, 2 of the 4 parathyroids were bad, so she contacted a skilled surgeon, who removed the offending culprits. Over a 2-year period, many of my bone spurs disappeared, and so did a lot of the fibro pain. My local holistic store found a panacea remedy that keeps what little pain is left at bay plus it challenges some of the residual issues that accompany some fibro sufferers but not other. I still have problems, fatigue and a low metabolism, but at least the screaming out loud pain is done. Foxfyre, thank you for being such a considerate friend to everyone who is lucky enough to post here. :)

When I was growing up lots of stuff we were fed tasted great to me, It's all we knew, once I grew up and discovered real food everything changed. There are "foods" I was raised on that I wouldn't eat today even if I was starving.

My food tastes don't usually align with most other people's. :p I'm also more concerned with my snacking food and dessert than my meals, so I'd rather have a cheaper pot pie and just eat some cookies or Cheez Its or something afterward if I need a better tasting food.

My food tastes don't usually align with most other people's. :p I'm also more concerned with my snacking food and dessert than my meals, so I'd rather have a cheaper pot pie and just eat some cookies or Cheez Its or something afterward if I need a better tasting food.
People enjoy what they enjoy and I would never (well almost never) think about seriously condemning them for their tastes. Having a little fun with their tastes on the other hand.......... :D

Wow, GW...I am so proud of you! And I wish the best for you too! One day at a time, hon!
Thanks, Gracie. How've you been? Are the seasons changing much where you are?
Still hotter than hell here. Supposed to rain Monday but then a few days later, back into the 90's again. I LOATHE hot weather like this.
Meanwhile...been working hard here. Got the back yard cleared of foxtails and other nasty weedy dead shit, built a bamboo lean-to, and in general have been working harder here than I was over at the other place. At least I am not bored. But, I will be sad to leave my soon-to-be-garden although glad to be back at the beach...IF it ever happens.
In the meantime, you are doing something you love and will leave that place a better place for your having been there. I love the beach but there really isn't any beach within a couple of hours from here. I like the sound of the surf and beach combing. Monterey was the best. There was a little cove down a sandy cliff where we used to go to sunbathe (nude) and play backgammon.

Forum List

Back