USMB Coffee Shop IV

007 has a nice car. I, on the other hand, have a piece of crap. I finally got the A/C working, I got the harmonic balancer replaced to stop oil from leaking, I got a switch replaced because of an evap code that was coming up, now I'm getting a cylinder malfunction code. I couldn't pass my emissions test yesterday because the codes had been reset when I got the last problem fixed on Friday, so they had not yet reset. Today I got a service engine light again with a new code. I'm really, really hoping I just need to replace a spark plug for this. This car is far and away the worst purchase I've ever made.
Yeah, I belong to the dilapidated car club too. I bought it used in 2009, and after replacing the oil a couple of months ago, the engine oil light is right back on. Hi ho, hi ho, it's to the Auto Parts sto….. :lmao:

upload_2018-10-3_8-24-42.jpeg
upload_2018-10-3_8-25-3.jpeg

I knew that old serger thread holder would come in handy some day...

donuts51.jpg

Have a wonderful day, everybody! :)

Good morning everybody, or early afternoon or evening for some of you. We are enjoying our last couple of days when it hits very low 80's in the late afternoon which is just perfect for me. We no longer have A/C having done the changeover on Monday and the furnace isn't needed. But autumn arrives by Friday with high temps dipping into the 70's with highs in the low 70's and 60's forecast for next week for the Balloon Fiesta. That furnace will probably feel pretty good in the 40's and 50's lows in the mornings.

The long range forecast for us (which I generally take with a good dose of salt) is for a colder and wetter than normal winter. We really need that--colder for us is still pretty mild--but we'll see how it goes.

I loaded "low calorie fruits" into Bing! and found a good solution for those of us who have to use anything and everything just to prevent ballooning into a larger size because our ability to burn calories goes out the window with aging. Love ya!

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

In 2006 my late husband and I went to Canada and rode a train from someplace East of Toronto to Vancouver, which is practically on the Western Coast of Canada. Somewhere along the line, we stopped for sightseeing purposes, it might have been in an extremely posh hotel in Toronto. Anyhow, I asked for soup, and they furnished this wonderful bowl of pumpkin soup. I wish I had the recipe. I've been reading good things about pumpkins in the local grocery's nutrition magazines, and it's mind-boggling what their nutritive benefits prevent.

xpumpkin-2.png.pagespeed.ic.RPXS52_SeW.jpg

Pumpkin fruit is one of the widely grown vegetables incredibly rich in vital antioxidants, and vitamins. Though this humble backyard vegetable is low in calories, nonetheless, it packed with vitamin-A, and flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants such as lutein, xanthin, and carotenes in abundance.

Pumpkin is a fast-growing vine that creeps along the surface in a similar fashion as that of other Cucurbitaceae family vegetables and fruits such as cucumber, squash, cantaloupes, etc. It is one of the most popular field crops cultivated around the world, including in the USA at commercial scale for its fruit, and seeds.

Health Benefits of Pumpkin
  • It is one of the very low-calorie vegetables. 100 g fruit provides just 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; however, it is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins. The vegetable is one of the food items recommended by dieticians in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.

• Pumpkin is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C, and vitamin-E.

• At 7,384 mg per 100 g, it is one of the vegetables in the Cucurbitaceae family featuring highest levels of vitamin-A, providing about 246% of RDA. Vitamin-A is a powerful natural antioxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of skin and mucosa. It is also an essential vitamin for good eyesight. Research studies suggest that natural foods rich in vitamin-A may help the human body protect against lung and oral cavity cancers.

• It is also an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß-carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein, and zeaxanthin. Carotenes convert into vitamin-A inside the human body.

• Zea-xanthin is a natural anti-oxidant which has UV (ultra-violet) rays filtering actions in the macula lutea in the retina of the eyes. Thus, it may offer protection from "age-related macular disease" (ARMD) in the older adults.

• The fruit is a good source of the B-complex group of vitamins like folates, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin, and pantothenic acid.

• It is also a rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.

• Pumpkin seeds Pumpkin seeds indeed are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, which are good for heart health. Also, the seeds are concentrated sources of protein, minerals, and health-benefiting vitamins. For instance, 100 g of pumpkin seeds provide 559 calories, 30 g of protein, 110% RDA of iron, 4987 mg of niacin (31% RDA), selenium (17% of RDA), zinc (71%), etc., but zero cholesterol. Further, the seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan converted into GABA in the brain.

• Credits (if the forum allows it): Pumpkin nutrition facts and health benefits
I love pumpkin soup! As a matter-of-fact, I've planned to make some this weekend. It's usually difficult to find a one-person pumpkin, but this time of year, it's pretty easy.

If you crater to a sale price of a larger pumpkin, you could always divide the leftover pumpkin soup into freezer containers if you have a freezer. Oh, wait, you have the benefit of living in Alaska with its upcoming freezer of a winter... you could just put the containers by the back door...unless you have naughty little wild predators about that are serially awaiting one little morsel or more...
The back door freezer will soon be used...too soon! Most of the naughty wild critters will be going to bed shortly for a few months. Here, I have to be aware of marauding goats who escape whenever they can. They sell pumpkins here by the pound usually. I have a nice little sugar pumpkin just waiting to be made into soup for my lunches next week.

Your pumpkin soup recipe? Those on the internet call for canned pumpkin or are far more elaborate than what I figure most people do.
OK:
Cut the top off a pumpkin of your choice, remove the seeds, leave the meat. Saute onions and garlic (to taste), place the onions into the pumpkin cavity and fill with cream. Fasten the top onto the pumpkin and bake at about 350 until the meat is tender. Pour the cream into a blender and carefully remove the tender meat, placing it into the blender, add parmesan cheese (to taste), and blend until smooth. If you've been careful, you can pour the soup back into the pumpkin skin and serve, or you can put it into a bowl. It's really a pretty simple recipe and it's delicious...if you like this kind of thing. It is pretty rich, though.

Curious. I generally enjoy goat milk but never thought to ask. Do goats produce cream like cows do?

I got my results back on my antibody titer tests. Apparently I have no Hep B or Measles immunity, I'm in an uncertain area for Mumps, and I have Rubella antibodies. If the test results are accurate, it would seem my immunity has failed/is failing for measles and mumps. I tried to schedule an appointment to get those vaccinations with the health department, but they told me there was no availability until December. I'll head to CVS either in the next hour or tomorrow and see if I can get at least the first shots that way. It's looking as if it will cost me another $300.

I'm going to end up having around $2000 less money in savings than expected when I move out in a couple of months, assuming nothing goes wrong with that plan. :(

I love pumpkin soup! As a matter-of-fact, I've planned to make some this weekend. It's usually difficult to find a one-person pumpkin, but this time of year, it's pretty easy.

If you crater to a sale price of a larger pumpkin, you could always divide the leftover pumpkin soup into freezer containers if you have a freezer. Oh, wait, you have the benefit of living in Alaska with its upcoming freezer of a winter... you could just put the containers by the back door...unless you have naughty little wild predators about that are serially awaiting one little morsel or more...
The back door freezer will soon be used...too soon! Most of the naughty wild critters will be going to bed shortly for a few months. Here, I have to be aware of marauding goats who escape whenever they can. They sell pumpkins here by the pound usually. I have a nice little sugar pumpkin just waiting to be made into soup for my lunches next week.

Your pumpkin soup recipe? Those on the internet call for canned pumpkin or are far more elaborate than what I figure most people do.
OK:
Cut the top off a pumpkin of your choice, remove the seeds, leave the meat. Saute onions and garlic (to taste), place the onions into the pumpkin cavity and fill with cream. Fasten the top onto the pumpkin and bake at about 350 until the meat is tender. Pour the cream into a blender and carefully remove the tender meat, placing it into the blender, add parmesan cheese (to taste), and blend until smooth. If you've been careful, you can pour the soup back into the pumpkin skin and serve, or you can put it into a bowl. It's really a pretty simple recipe and it's delicious...if you like this kind of thing. It is pretty rich, though.

Curious. I generally enjoy goat milk but never thought to ask. Do goats produce cream like cows do?

Goats do produce cream but because goat milk is naturally homogenized, the fat globules are much smaller and better dispersed in the milk. You can extract cream if you let it sit in the 'fridge overnight but you'll only get a couple of teaspoons full. If you want to extract the cream from goat milk, you need to use a centrifuge. I have gotten enough cream once in a while to make goat butter. You put your cream in a mason jar and shake it until it becomes butter. A great project for kids because it's almost magic for them, changing milk to butter.

It has been a good weekend, overall. One of younger colleagues from work brought over his forklift and he and the partner rigged a hoist to lift the trusses onto the barn. The guy's been a godsend because he likes to stay busy and building is a passion for him, and our barn is a challenge, as well. Things were going well until the partner made a misstep and toppled about 10 feet, bruising his shoulder and chest. Fortunately, he landed on his head and missed a few boards with nails in them. For my part, I got a lot of other things done around the place that needed to be done. Mostly rounding up bits and pieces and putting them away in their own places. The new generator has been installed in a nice location out of the weather and I still had space to stow a couple of other things under the steps to my workshop.
We're still unseasonably warm. I'm not complaining, mind you. We've only had one frosty morning and the temps have not yet fallen below freezing. By this time last year, we had already been frozen hard for at least three weeks. I'm crossing my fingers for a few more weeks of this nice weather. It would be so nice to get the roof on the barn. That would give us a snow-free workspace for other projects that need done.
Well, I hope y'all are doing well and enjoying your fine Fall weather.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away for awhile can find their way back. And rejoice whenever somebody does!!!!

October in Alaska
denali-national-park-john-hyde.jpg

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
TK
Gracie
Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away for awhile can find their way back. And rejoice whenever somebody does!!!!

October in Alaska

Oh look! Alaskan fast food.

Harper
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
TK
Gracie
Hombre's sister

October in Alaska

Oh look! Alaskan fast food.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but then you are the only person I know who considers moose meat to be a staple. :)

We are off to Corrales for our weekly 42 game. Wish me luck as us girls have really been taking a drubbing in the games the last couple of weeks. We were 8 games ahead (after almost three years of these games) but the guys are ahead a couple of games now.

We are off to Corrales for our weekly 42 game. Wish me luck as us girls have really been taking a drubbing in the games the last couple of weeks. We were 8 games ahead (after almost three years of these games) but the guys are ahead a couple of games now.

Good luck !
I hope you win. :)

Mr. P and his best buddy are out riding their motorcycle trikes today.
He found a fairly new highway so he wanted to show it to him. :)
It's perfect weather for riding right now.

Isn't October glorious in the desert southwest? More fair weather than not. Not too cool. Not too hot. Not much wind. The cottonwoods and chamisa and snakeweed are showing their glory. As you said, perfect. Probably why October is my favorite month of the year.

Good Lord what have I done... there's a beast in my shop... I think some guy named BBD ought to come up from ILL and drive this angry beast...

2ss.jpg
Wow, 007. You must have put a month of Sundays in on maintaining this beautiful car. Kudos.
Thank you. I did just get through going over it front to back with the detail spray and microfiber towel, but it's brand new, a 2017 with just a few miles over 1,000 on it so it's pretty easy to maintain. The thing you see sitting beside it up on jacks is what's giving me a major pain the ass. It's a 2005 Chevy Suburban I bought to drive in the winter, and so far I've put about $1,000 in parts in it and I'm not done yet. The hard hydraulic brake line to the flexible hydraulic brake line, front left, was rusted beyond saving so it broke when I tried to unfasten it, so now I'm waiting on an entire brake line kit, because you can't buy individual brake lines that are prefab and bent to a specific vehicle, to show up so I can finish this brake job. One of the new calipers I got from NAPA was machined off kilter too and that had to be exchanged as well. It's been up on jacks for a week and half already just for all new front brakes when the entire job should have only taken a couple hours. It's fought me every step of the way.

Last edited:

Good luck !
I hope you win. :)

Thank you. I know its just a game, but we have been playing these weekly games going on three years now. Nobody schedules anything else on Thursdays except for major holidays, nonmovable doctor appointments, hospitalizations, or having out of town company etc. The guy of the other couple--the wife is one of my two best friends from high school--is an old Sandia and Los Alamos Lab guy who is a stickler for detail and he has kept detailed records of all the games since we started playing three years ago. We gals play against the two guys.

When we finished playing yesterday, we had played a total of 668 games and we were tied for wins 334 to 334. You just don't find any greater parity than that. :) (We girls did win 4 games to their 2 yesterday.)

Hi all, recovering from the treatment for the bronchitis. Ended up using my Medicare (and paying my deductible) to see a doctor in Roswell yesterday. The steroids the ER prescribed (most effective treatment for bronchitis) caused my lower extremities to blow up like Macy's parade balloons, painful and difficult to walk except on water........
A shot of Lasix and a script to pick up today is reducing the edema, the bronchitis is gone but my allergies are going crazy. I slept in my bed this morning for the first time in two weeks, it was wonderful..... :D
I will be filing a complaint with the VA as the Artesia clinic and the VA Patient Advocate never called me back after I left multiple phone messages.

Hi all, recovering from the treatment for the bronchitis. Ended up using my Medicare (and paying my deductible) to see a doctor in Roswell yesterday. The steroids the ER prescribed (most effective treatment for bronchitis) caused my lower extremities to blow up like Macy's parade balloons, painful and difficult to walk except on water........
A shot of Lasix and a script to pick up today is reducing the edema, the bronchitis is gone but my allergies are going crazy. I slept in my bed this morning for the first time in two weeks, it was wonderful..... :D
I will be filing a complaint with the VA as the Artesia clinic and the VA Patient Advocate never called me back after I left multiple phone messages.

Yep I would file a complaint too. That should not be the way anybody is treated let alone a veteran.

Forum List

Back