USMB Coffee Shop IV

And now most of us are wavering between summer and autumn. That is how it is in Albuquerque--still more summer than autumn but hinting loudly that it is supposed to be autumn these days.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away for awhile can find their way back. And rejoice whenever somebody does!!!!

Between summer and autumn:
4096989411_6313837f13_z.jpg

Autumn has almost run its course here. It's still unseasonably warm, though. It was 61 when I got home around 5 pm today. I'm not complaining, believe me! It will be cold enough too soon to make it Winter in Alaska.

I loaded "low calorie fruits" into Bing! and found a good solution for those of us who have to use anything and everything just to prevent ballooning into a larger size because our ability to burn calories goes out the window with aging. Love ya!

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

In 2006 my late husband and I went to Canada and rode a train from someplace East of Toronto to Vancouver, which is practically on the Western Coast of Canada. Somewhere along the line, we stopped for sightseeing purposes, it might have been in an extremely posh hotel in Toronto. Anyhow, I asked for soup, and they furnished this wonderful bowl of pumpkin soup. I wish I had the recipe. I've been reading good things about pumpkins in the local grocery's nutrition magazines, and it's mind-boggling what their nutritive benefits prevent.

xpumpkin-2.png.pagespeed.ic.RPXS52_SeW.jpg

Pumpkin fruit is one of the widely grown vegetables incredibly rich in vital antioxidants, and vitamins. Though this humble backyard vegetable is low in calories, nonetheless, it packed with vitamin-A, and flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants such as lutein, xanthin, and carotenes in abundance.

Pumpkin is a fast-growing vine that creeps along the surface in a similar fashion as that of other Cucurbitaceae family vegetables and fruits such as cucumber, squash, cantaloupes, etc. It is one of the most popular field crops cultivated around the world, including in the USA at commercial scale for its fruit, and seeds.

Health Benefits of Pumpkin
  • It is one of the very low-calorie vegetables. 100 g fruit provides just 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; however, it is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins. The vegetable is one of the food items recommended by dieticians in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.

• Pumpkin is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C, and vitamin-E.

• At 7,384 mg per 100 g, it is one of the vegetables in the Cucurbitaceae family featuring highest levels of vitamin-A, providing about 246% of RDA. Vitamin-A is a powerful natural antioxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of skin and mucosa. It is also an essential vitamin for good eyesight. Research studies suggest that natural foods rich in vitamin-A may help the human body protect against lung and oral cavity cancers.

• It is also an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß-carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein, and zeaxanthin. Carotenes convert into vitamin-A inside the human body.

• Zea-xanthin is a natural anti-oxidant which has UV (ultra-violet) rays filtering actions in the macula lutea in the retina of the eyes. Thus, it may offer protection from "age-related macular disease" (ARMD) in the older adults.

• The fruit is a good source of the B-complex group of vitamins like folates, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin, and pantothenic acid.

• It is also a rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.

• Pumpkin seeds Pumpkin seeds indeed are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, which are good for heart health. Also, the seeds are concentrated sources of protein, minerals, and health-benefiting vitamins. For instance, 100 g of pumpkin seeds provide 559 calories, 30 g of protein, 110% RDA of iron, 4987 mg of niacin (31% RDA), selenium (17% of RDA), zinc (71%), etc., but zero cholesterol. Further, the seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan converted into GABA in the brain.

• Credits (if the forum allows it): Pumpkin nutrition facts and health benefits
I love pumpkin soup! As a matter-of-fact, I've planned to make some this weekend. It's usually difficult to find a one-person pumpkin, but this time of year, it's pretty easy.

The last 3 days have been kinda weird for me; serious bloating, insomnia, agitation, anxiety, irritation, headaches, lightheadedness, upset stomach, etc. Finally figured it all out. Remember I mentioned being sent home from the ER with half a pharmacy? Well finally looked up the side effects and in at least two of the meds I have been taking those are definite side effects.......... I won't even mention what the real serious side effects could be I'll just say they're potentially life threatening........ and in one I just finished there may be withdrawal symptoms....... I'm stopping all but two and will call my PCP tomorrow and go from there.

The last 3 days have been kinda weird for me; serious bloating, insomnia, agitation, anxiety, irritation, headaches, lightheadedness, upset stomach, etc. Finally figured it all out. Remember I mentioned being sent home from the ER with half a pharmacy? Well finally looked up the side effects and in at least two of the meds I have been taking those are definite side effects.......... I won't even mention what the real serious side effects could be I'll just say they're potentially life threatening........ and in one I just finished there may be withdrawal symptoms....... I'm stopping all but two and will call my PCP tomorrow and go from there.
And a big bowl of pumpkin soup to Mr. Ringel. Hope all its vitamins will clobber your current laundry list of annoying symptoms. I'm just getting over inoculation-induced pneumonia, and ought to drink a bowl of it myself. Here ya go, Mr. Ringel:

pmupkin-soup.jpg

I loaded "low calorie fruits" into Bing! and found a good solution for those of us who have to use anything and everything just to prevent ballooning into a larger size because our ability to burn calories goes out the window with aging. Love ya!

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

In 2006 my late husband and I went to Canada and rode a train from someplace East of Toronto to Vancouver, which is practically on the Western Coast of Canada. Somewhere along the line, we stopped for sightseeing purposes, it might have been in an extremely posh hotel in Toronto. Anyhow, I asked for soup, and they furnished this wonderful bowl of pumpkin soup. I wish I had the recipe. I've been reading good things about pumpkins in the local grocery's nutrition magazines, and it's mind-boggling what their nutritive benefits prevent.

Pumpkin fruit is one of the widely grown vegetables incredibly rich in vital antioxidants, and vitamins. Though this humble backyard vegetable is low in calories, nonetheless, it packed with vitamin-A, and flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants such as lutein, xanthin, and carotenes in abundance.

Pumpkin is a fast-growing vine that creeps along the surface in a similar fashion as that of other Cucurbitaceae family vegetables and fruits such as cucumber, squash, cantaloupes, etc. It is one of the most popular field crops cultivated around the world, including in the USA at commercial scale for its fruit, and seeds.

• It is one of the very low-calorie vegetables. 100 g fruit provides just 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; however, it is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins. The vegetable is one of the food items recommended by dieticians in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.

• Pumpkin is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C, and vitamin-E.

• At 7,384 mg per 100 g, it is one of the vegetables in the Cucurbitaceae family featuring highest levels of vitamin-A, providing about 246% of RDA. Vitamin-A is a powerful natural antioxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of skin and mucosa. It is also an essential vitamin for good eyesight. Research studies suggest that natural foods rich in vitamin-A may help the human body protect against lung and oral cavity cancers.

• It is also an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß-carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein, and zeaxanthin. Carotenes convert into vitamin-A inside the human body.

• Zea-xanthin is a natural anti-oxidant which has UV (ultra-violet) rays filtering actions in the macula lutea in the retina of the eyes. Thus, it may offer protection from "age-related macular disease" (ARMD) in the older adults.

• The fruit is a good source of the B-complex group of vitamins like folates, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin, and pantothenic acid.

• It is also a rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.

• Pumpkin seeds Pumpkin seeds indeed are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, which are good for heart health. Also, the seeds are concentrated sources of protein, minerals, and health-benefiting vitamins. For instance, 100 g of pumpkin seeds provide 559 calories, 30 g of protein, 110% RDA of iron, 4987 mg of niacin (31% RDA), selenium (17% of RDA), zinc (71%), etc., but zero cholesterol. Further, the seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan converted into GABA in the brain.

I love pumpkin soup! As a matter-of-fact, I've planned to make some this weekend. It's usually difficult to find a one-person pumpkin, but this time of year, it's pretty easy.

If you crater to a sale price of a larger pumpkin, you could always divide the leftover pumpkin soup into freezer containers if you have a freezer. Oh, wait, you have the benefit of living in Alaska with its upcoming freezer of a winter... you could just put the containers by the back door...unless you have naughty little wild predators about that are serially awaiting one little morsel or more...

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

Interesting however squashs are technically fruits not vegetables.........

True as it contains the seeds to make more squash plants. If the food contains seeds it is a fruit. Veggies are the stems, leaves, or roots of the plant. Both are mostly highly beneficial as nutrition and how we use them generally dictates what we call them. We usually call tomatoes and peppers a vegetable for instance while we treat rhubarb more as a fruit when it is actually a veggie.

Well crap. I failed my emissions test. Apparently, because I just got repairs done and the shop probably reset the code, the computer in my car needs time to get all of the codes reset. The guy at the testing place said I need to do an indeterminate amount of driving; could be 50 miles, but the state recommends 2-3 weeks before retesting. My registration is due to be renewed by Friday, though. I guess I'm going to have to either sit in the car with it running in the driveway, or drive around aimlessly, and hope I do enough before Friday to get it retested and pass. :(

On another sour note, my blood tests have still not come in from Wednesday. The woman at the health department on Wed said she expected the test results to be in Friday afternoon. Now it's Monday afternoon, and still no go. I have a month and a half or so before I'm supposed to start my short internship, but I believe the hospital wants 2 months between filling out the form with these immunizations and working at the facility. Hopefully that doesn't end up as an issue.

I guess I should think about where I might want to drive to.

And a big bowl of pumpkin soup to Mr. Ringel. Hope all its vitamins will clobber your current laundry list of annoying symptoms. I'm just getting over inoculation-induced pneumonia, and ought to drink a bowl of it myself. Here ya go, Mr. Ringel:

pmupkin-soup.jpg

Thanks but no thanks....... that just looks disgusting.........

Last edited:

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

If you crater to a sale price of a larger pumpkin, you could always divide the leftover pumpkin soup into freezer containers if you have a freezer. Oh, wait, you have the benefit of living in Alaska with its upcoming freezer of a winter... you could just put the containers by the back door...unless you have naughty little wild predators about that are serially awaiting one little morsel or more...

Other than lots of squirrels, foxes, eagles, and bears, he doesn't have to worry about predators much. :)

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

The back door freezer will soon be used...too soon! Most of the naughty wild critters will be going to bed shortly for a few months. Here, I have to be aware of marauding goats who escape whenever they can. They sell pumpkins here by the pound usually. I have a nice little sugar pumpkin just waiting to be made into soup for my lunches next week.

Good Lord what have I done... there's a beast in my shop... I think some guy named BBD ought to come up from ILL and drive this angry beast...

2ss.jpg

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away for awhile can find their way back. And rejoice whenever somebody does!!!!

130135-Hello-October.jpg

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

The back door freezer will soon be used...too soon! Most of the naughty wild critters will be going to bed shortly for a few months. Here, I have to be aware of marauding goats who escape whenever they can. They sell pumpkins here by the pound usually. I have a nice little sugar pumpkin just waiting to be made into soup for my lunches next week.

Your pumpkin soup recipe? Those on the internet call for canned pumpkin or are far more elaborate than what I figure most people do.

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

Your pumpkin soup recipe? Those on the internet call for canned pumpkin or are far more elaborate than what I figure most people do.
OK:
Cut the top off a pumpkin of your choice, remove the seeds, leave the meat. Saute onions and garlic (to taste), place the onions into the pumpkin cavity and fill with cream. Fasten the top onto the pumpkin and bake at about 350 until the meat is tender. Pour the cream into a blender and carefully remove the tender meat, placing it into the blender, add parmesan cheese (to taste), and blend until smooth. If you've been careful, you can pour the soup back into the pumpkin skin and serve, or you can put it into a bowl. It's really a pretty simple recipe and it's delicious...if you like this kind of thing. It is pretty rich, though.

007 has a nice car. I, on the other hand, have a piece of crap. I finally got the A/C working, I got the harmonic balancer replaced to stop oil from leaking, I got a switch replaced because of an evap code that was coming up, now I'm getting a cylinder malfunction code. I couldn't pass my emissions test yesterday because the codes had been reset when I got the last problem fixed on Friday, so they had not yet reset. Today I got a service engine light again with a new code. I'm really, really hoping I just need to replace a spark plug for this. This car is far and away the worst purchase I've ever made.

Diet-foods07-696x496.jpg

OK:
Cut the top off a pumpkin of your choice, remove the seeds, leave the meat. Saute onions and garlic (to taste), place the onions into the pumpkin cavity and fill with cream. Fasten the top onto the pumpkin and bake at about 350 until the meat is tender. Pour the cream into a blender and carefully remove the tender meat, placing it into the blender, add parmesan cheese (to taste), and blend until smooth. If you've been careful, you can pour the soup back into the pumpkin skin and serve, or you can put it into a bowl. It's really a pretty simple recipe and it's delicious...if you like this kind of thing. It is pretty rich, though.

No salt and pepper?

OK:

No salt and pepper?
To taste, yes. I usually add pepper but only use salt when making bread, cheese, or curing meat.

Forum List

Back