USMB Coffee Shop IV

Two days ago I bought the dog some rope chew toys, trying to give him more things to chew so that he'd leave alone those things he shouldn't chew. Today I found out he had completely destroyed the Roku controller (Roku is a device for streaming things on the TV), which we only got a couple of weeks ago to replace the original Roku controller which he had chewed. After getting in trouble for that, I later found him tearing up the living room carpet yet again.

Yay puppies! :mad:

We have a Black Lab/Texas Blue Lacy mix and a Texas Blue Lacy. The Lacy will chew on anything he can grip with his teeth and swallows anything he chews You can tell his poop from the Lab/Lacy by the bits of colored rubber balls, tennis balls, bones, plastic water bottles and sticks of wood. I experimented with every dog toy I could buy until I found the perfect one. They make balls and bones and are indestructible but I prefer the chew toy that looks like the Michelin Man. They're called Kong and comes in different sizes and shapes. The one good thing about the dogs is that thew don't chew shoes and don't tear up the place.

2 examples and a link to the product.

View attachment 231587 View attachment 231588

The dogs learn to get the treats quickly but I put peanut butter in them and they can spend an hour trying to get it out.

KONG Classic Dog Toy

He's got one of the sort of cone-shaped Kong toys, that's another one I bought for him. He messed with it for a couple of days and has since given up on it.

Two days ago I bought the dog some rope chew toys, trying to give him more things to chew so that he'd leave alone those things he shouldn't chew. Today I found out he had completely destroyed the Roku controller (Roku is a device for streaming things on the TV), which we only got a couple of weeks ago to replace the original Roku controller which he had chewed. After getting in trouble for that, I later found him tearing up the living room carpet yet again.

Ya know... I love the critters... I love pets... but I wouldn't tolerate that. The dog would either be caged and/or given limited access to parts of the house or it would be down the road. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I realize some people have a lot more patience than I do.

If it were my choice he'd be long gone. :p

I'm sure there's a needy Vietnamese family somewhere that could use a puppy...... :eusa_whistle:
More likely Korean. I was in Korea and never knowingly ate dog. The Vietnamese I was with for 2 years preferred rats. I've eaten paddy rats as has many advisers who ate what the ARVN did.

Korea has dog carcasses in their meat markets and the Viets have rat markets. I've posted pictures of both in other threads
Being raised in the Pacific I'm sure I've eaten quite a few dogs, cats, monkeys and rats...........

I'm sure there's a needy Vietnamese family somewhere that could use a puppy...... :eusa_whistle:
More likely Korean. I was in Korea and never knowingly ate dog. The Vietnamese I was with for 2 years preferred rats. I've eaten paddy rats as has many advisers who ate what the ARVN did.

Korea has dog carcasses in their meat markets and the Viets have rat markets. I've posted pictures of both in other threads
Being raised in the Pacific I'm sure I've eaten quite a few dogs, cats, monkeys and rats...........

We have a Black Lab/Texas Blue Lacy mix and a Texas Blue Lacy. The Lacy will chew on anything he can grip with his teeth and swallows anything he chews You can tell his poop from the Lab/Lacy by the bits of colored rubber balls, tennis balls, bones, plastic water bottles and sticks of wood. I experimented with every dog toy I could buy until I found the perfect one. They make balls and bones and are indestructible but I prefer the chew toy that looks like the Michelin Man. They're called Kong and comes in different sizes and shapes. The one good thing about the dogs is that thew don't chew shoes and don't tear up the place.

The dogs learn to get the treats quickly but I put peanut butter in them and they can spend an hour trying to get it out.

KONG Classic Dog Toy

He's got one of the sort of cone-shaped Kong toys, that's another one I bought for him. He messed with it for a couple of days and has since given up on it.

Have you tried peanut butter? My dogs won't mess with it after they get the treats out but they'll spend a lot of time with the peanut butter.

3am here and another night of no sleep and the fault is all mine for having taken an afternoon nap. Never seems to take much to mess up the whole routine

Try cutting out caffeine for a few days and see if it makes a difference. I have had three different people, including my daughter, who have told me recently that it cured their insomnia problems.

Last edited:
Just got word that it's all the same cancer and the UNM doc wants her to see an Oncology Gynecologist since that's where the cancer appears to have started and our local Oncologist agrees. We'll have to go back up to UNM Albuquerque once we get an appointment. After that we decide where we want to start treatment, here in Roswell or up in Albuquerque.

From other posts when you first got to Roswell, you seem to have an excellent landlord. If the treatment needs to be here in Albuquerque, and she has a hard time with the chemo, that long drive could not be at all helpful for her. Is there any chance your landlord would give you a mercy release from your lease? Ours did when we found a home to buy before our lease term was up. But if she wants to go back to work after the treatment and her job is still there in Roswell, you might be better off staying there? Tough choices.

KONG Classic Dog Toy

Have you tried peanut butter? My dogs won't mess with it after they get the treats out but they'll spend a lot of time with the peanut butter.

Putting peanut butter in the toy was the first thing I did. :) I just don't want to leave peanut butter in it for too long.

Guy at work committed suicide on Tuesday. His longtime girlfriend and mother of his children left him for a friend some time ago, 6 months to a year, not sure.
When I felt something wasnt right at home and dragged out of my wife of 23 yrs she had an affair and wanted to "explore" the situation, he was constantly asking how I was.. Now I'm wondering if there isn't something I could have done or should have noticed. He seemed like he was ok
For awhile I couldn' think straight. Darkness hits you so hard and so fast. Dad died right after and I stood at his grave alone. Only thing that got me thru was a brother who had been thru it twice take me in, talk me thru . Was there bout 2 months.
Yeah my older brother took his life too. It's hard on the family.

I lost my Dad in 2012 also. Nothing in life prepares you for the passing of a parent.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Even had you known he was contemplating suicide, you can't blame yourself for their actions.
I'm not....some reflection is proper and due I think at times like this.

3am here and another night of no sleep and the fault is all mine for having taken an afternoon nap. Never seems to take much to mess up the whole routine

Try cutting out caffeine for a few days and see if it makes a difference. I have had three different people, including my daughter, who have told me recently that it cured their insomnia problems.

I usually only drink 1 or 2 cups first thing in the morning, then it's ice water the rest of the day & evening. I have noticed before that when I get really tired in the afternoon and take a quick nap there's a good chance I won't sleep that night. That and sometimes the nerves in my back and legs drive me nuts & keep me up.

Guy at work committed suicide on Tuesday. His longtime girlfriend and mother of his children left him for a friend some time ago, 6 months to a year, not sure.
When I felt something wasnt right at home and dragged out of my wife of 23 yrs she had an affair and wanted to "explore" the situation, he was constantly asking how I was.. Now I'm wondering if there isn't something I could have done or should have noticed. He seemed like he was ok
For awhile I couldn' think straight. Darkness hits you so hard and so fast. Dad died right after and I stood at his grave alone. Only thing that got me thru was a brother who had been thru it twice take me in, talk me thru . Was there bout 2 months.

I lost my Dad in 2012 also. Nothing in life prepares you for the passing of a parent.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Even had you known he was contemplating suicide, you can't blame yourself for their actions.

I have contemplated suicide myself in the past, and not without reason. I have been schizophrenic since 1969 and have had much mental suffering. But my advice to anyone thinking of suicide is. DON'T DO IT.
Especially if you are young and having emotional upsets. Believe me if you live long enough you will get stronger, and better able to deal with things. I am 72 and although I was mildly depressed all day I finally got it together, and did two hours painting on a picture I have been working on since the beginning of the week.
I seem to finally be getting it together with painting, and appear to be having a late flowering. Although I wake up in the morning, look at my work and wonder what I am bothering for. It just looks like a mess. But as the day goes on I brighten up and each time I get it together to do some work I make headway and the painting looks better.

Well we will soon see whether you people think it was worth the trouble, as I am getting close to completing it and will probably do so by next week. Then I will post a picture of it.

I have contemplated suicide myself in the past, and not without reason. I have been schizophrenic since 1969 and have had much mental suffering. But my advice to anyone thinking of suicide is. DON'T DO IT.
Especially if you are young and having emotional upsets. Believe me if you live long enough you will get stronger, and better able to deal with things. I am 72 and although I was mildly depressed all day I finally got it together, and did two hours painting on a picture I have been working on since the beginning of the week.
I seem to finally be getting it together with painting, and appear to be having a late flowering. Although I wake up in the morning, look at my work and wonder what I am bothering for. It just looks like a mess. But as the day goes on I brighten up and each time I get it together to do some work I make headway and the painting looks better.

Well we will soon see whether you people think it was worth the trouble, as I am getting close to completing it and will probably do so by next week. Then I will post a picture of it.
I think more people than we know have it cross their mind at some point in their life. Was talking to HR lady today about him. While we talked she disclosed having been on the edge after her daughter died. Only thing that stopped her was not wanting to add to her husband's grief. Had that thought not entered her head in the heat of the moment she would not be here

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Gracie & Mr. G now homeless again
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Montrovant in difficult transition
Nosmo's mom back in the hospital
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.

JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Beautress's friend EJ undergoing chemo.
Ringel and Mrs. Ringel awaiting diagnosis.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

55dfd82c953a3ee1d2b6668699f4ab9d.jpg

It's Movie Night again and I'm at the Learning Center showing The Grapes of Wrath. What a movie! Possibly the best cinematography ever shot in Hollywood history.

More folks here tonight than ever before! Next week is Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck in Ball of Fire. Then Christmas movies start up with The Man who came to Dinner with Monty Woolley and Bette Davis. Then The Bishop's Wife with Loretta Young and Cary Grant.

Our movie day with Dana, still severely handicapped after her heart transplant--long story there--and Aunt Betty who is living her 92nd year but seems more like a 50 or 60 year old, we try to choose classic movies with good acting and strong story lines with a minimum of gratuitous sex and violence. Last Sunday we watched "To Kill a Mocking Bird." I had forgotten what an amazing film it was. It will be hard to find something comparable for this coming weekend.

I will agree with you that though somewhat depressing "The Grapes of Wrath" is also an amazing film and one that everybody should see at least once.
Here's the January lineup:

January 2
Some Like it Hot

January 9
It Happened one Night

January 16
Breakfast at Tiffany's

January 23
How Green was my Valley

January 30
Singin' in the Rain

That's a pretty good start for the new year.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a single one of those movies. :p I've probably seen a scene here and there, but that's it. That includes The Grapes of Wrath and To Kill a Mockingbird. If I have seen any of them, it was when I was young and I don't remember it.
Every one of those films is definitely worth watching. I'm sure many of our fellow CShoppers would agree.

Damned! Hopefully you'll continue to mend, mind and soul. Be sure to be kind to yourself.

Your puppy definitely needs crate training.

Looking forward to seeing your artistic stylings

It's Movie Night again and I'm at the Learning Center showing The Grapes of Wrath. What a movie! Possibly the best cinematography ever shot in Hollywood history.

More folks here tonight than ever before! Next week is Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck in Ball of Fire. Then Christmas movies start up with The Man who came to Dinner with Monty Woolley and Bette Davis. Then The Bishop's Wife with Loretta Young and Cary Grant.

Our movie day with Dana, still severely handicapped after her heart transplant--long story there--and Aunt Betty who is living her 92nd year but seems more like a 50 or 60 year old, we try to choose classic movies with good acting and strong story lines with a minimum of gratuitous sex and violence. Last Sunday we watched "To Kill a Mocking Bird." I had forgotten what an amazing film it was. It will be hard to find something comparable for this coming weekend.

I will agree with you that though somewhat depressing "The Grapes of Wrath" is also an amazing film and one that everybody should see at least once.
Here's the January lineup:

January 2
Some Like it Hot

January 9
It Happened one Night

January 16
Breakfast at Tiffany's

January 23
How Green was my Valley

January 30
Singin' in the Rain

That's a pretty good start for the new year.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a single one of those movies. :p I've probably seen a scene here and there, but that's it. That includes The Grapes of Wrath and To Kill a Mockingbird. If I have seen any of them, it was when I was young and I don't remember it.
Every one of those films is definitely worth watching. I'm sure many of our fellow CShoppers would agree.

It's unlikely I would enjoy many of them. They are just too old for me. I have a very hard time with black and white movies, and I can't imagine watching the Mickey Rooney stereotype Asian role without cringing. I've seen clips of his portrayal and it doesn't strike me as at all funny, just sad. Singin in the Rain might be one I could enjoy, just because the title song is so iconic and just seeing the title puts the song in my head. :)

Your puppy definitely needs crate training.

He does need some serious training but I think he is too old for crate training now. Time for a professional.

Forum List

Back