USMB Coffee Shop IV

Got back home about an hour ago, the UNM appointment was with an Oncology surgeon who looked at all the reports, etc and squeezed us in with a medical oncologist about an hour or so later. Basically the surgeon didn't think it was necessary to remove any body parts just yet, wants to give the chemo a try first, the medical oncologist was simply a second opinion who echoed what others have been saying, it just the sarcoma that has spread but it's good we're making sure. They also appeared to question why we were there seeing them........ So was I.......

It was good being back in Albuquerque if only for a short time, we miss it, still trying to figure out how we can get back there but for now we're stuck in a lease until next July.

I would like for you two to return to Albuquerque too. It isn't like we visited back and forth or anything, but I liked knowing you were here.

Is that place in New Mexico? I think there's a song about it?

Ringel; I hope all goes well with the chemo. Will it be a strenuous course?

I went to see the new Fantastic Beasts at the cinema. Johnny Depp was the villain.

I felt the film was overwhelmed and dominated by special effects. Still trying to figure out the plot.

That's the trend these days, sadly I feel. The actors do their stuff in front of the green screen. And they fill in the details later.

3am here and another night of no sleep and the fault is all mine for having taken an afternoon nap. Never seems to take much to mess up the whole routine

Got back home about an hour ago, the UNM appointment was with an Oncology surgeon who looked at all the reports, etc and squeezed us in with a medical oncologist about an hour or so later. Basically the surgeon didn't think it was necessary to remove any body parts just yet, wants to give the chemo a try first, the medical oncologist was simply a second opinion who echoed what others have been saying, it just the sarcoma that has spread but it's good we're making sure. They also appeared to question why we were there seeing them........ So was I.......

It was good being back in Albuquerque if only for a short time, we miss it, still trying to figure out how we can get back there but for now we're stuck in a lease until next July.

I would like for you two to return to Albuquerque too. It isn't like we visited back and forth or anything, but I liked knowing you were here.

Is that place in New Mexico? I think there's a song about it?

Ringel; I hope all goes well with the chemo. Will it be a strenuous course?
Albuquerque is the largest city in New Mexico.

Nine-Mile-Hill-Albuquerque.jpg

The wife hasn't started her chemo yet.

Last edited:
Well... this is month three with my new Powerline P2X gym, and although I feel a stronger than I did before, and there is some visible physical improvement, progress is pretty slow even though I hit it just about every day. I guess a 63 year old guy just better temper his expectations and take better health as the benefit of working out. We're just not going to look like the ROCK... :lol: ... a little late for that. I told my VA doc that I had bought a gym and his reaction was an immediate... "GOOD." He said it helps oldsters later on in life with their balance and joint health. He also added that resistance/weight training can have profound benefits over just cardio exercise like walking and such.

Trying to overhaul the diet also, that's a slow process when your house if full of the things you're planning to swear off.

Last edited:
Guy at work committed suicide on Tuesday. His longtime girlfriend and mother of his children left him for a friend some time ago, 6 months to a year, not sure.
When I felt something wasnt right at home and dragged out of my wife of 23 yrs she had an affair and wanted to "explore" the situation, he was constantly asking how I was.. Now I'm wondering if there isn't something I could have done or should have noticed. He seemed like he was ok
For awhile I couldn' think straight. Darkness hits you so hard and so fast. Dad died right after and I stood at his grave alone. Only thing that got me thru was a brother who had been thru it twice take me in, talk me thru . Was there bout 2 months.

Last edited:
I went to see the new Fantastic Beasts at the cinema. Johnny Depp was the villain.

I felt the film was overwhelmed and dominated by special effects. Still trying to figure out the plot.

That's the trend these days, sadly I feel. The actors do their stuff in front of the green screen. And they fill in the details later.

I have to agree with that though I haven't seen that film. I haven't seen most modern day movies. So many movies these days are almost all special effects with story lines and character development so weak that I am left simply frustrated, or worse bored. So I don't waste my money on them. I feel much the same about modern day music--weak lyrics, little or no melody. So much of it is just noise to me.

I want my movies, even the comedies, to have clear, understandable, compelling plots/story lines. I want great acting so that the actors become the compelling characters they portray and I see through that character's eyes. I want great sound tracks that are not distracting but enhance instead of detract from the story line and characters. Sex and violence is okay but it must be essential to or help the plot and not just thrown in because somebody thought people want that.

So if anybody goes to a new movie like that, please let me know. Those made since the 1990's are hard to find.

Well... this is month three with my new Powerline P2X gym, and although I feel a stronger than I did before, and there is some visible physical improvement, progress is pretty slow even though I hit it just about every day. I guess a 63 year old guy just better temper his expectations and take better health as the benefit of working out. We're just not going to look like the ROCK... :lol: ... a little late for that. I told my VA doc that I had bought a gym and his reaction was an immediate... "GOOD." He said it helps oldsters later on in life with their balance and joint health. He also added that resistance/weight training can have profound benefits over just cardio exercise like walking and such.

Trying to overhaul the diet also, that's a slow process when your house if full of the things you're planning to swear off.
Pick one of those and eliminate it. Replace it with something better. Might be surprised at the results I'm 58, cut the soda, replaced it with stuff the pros use, lost 50lbs. Not overnite....took about 6 months.

Guy at work committed suicide on Tuesday. His longtime girlfriend and mother of his children left him for a friend some time ago, 6 months to a year, not sure.
When I felt something wasnt right at home and dragged out of my wife of 23 yes she had an affair and wanted to "explore" the situation, he was constantly asking how I was.. Now I'm wondering if there isn't something I could have done or should have noticed. He seemed like he was ok
For awhile I couldn' think straight. Darkness hits you so hard and so fast. Dad died right after and I stood at his grave alone. Only thing that got me thru was a brother who had been thru it twice take me in, talk me thru . Was there bout 2 months.

Sorry for your loss. Those times in our lives that make no sense but just suck I suppose are inevitable. Doesn't make them any easier.

I have to agree with that though I haven't seen that film. I haven't seen most modern day movies. So many movies these days are almost all special effects with story lines and character development so weak that I am left simply frustrated, or worse bored. So I don't waste my money on them. I feel much the same about modern day music--weak lyrics, little or no melody. So much of it is just noise to me.

I want my movies, even the comedies, to have clear, understandable, compelling plots/story lines. I want great acting so that the actors become the compelling characters they portray and I see through that character's eyes. I want great sound tracks that are not distracting but enhance instead of detract from the story line and characters. Sex and violence is okay but it must be essential to or help the plot and not just thrown in because somebody thought people want that.

So if anybody goes to a new movie like that, please let me know. Those made since the 1990's are hard to find.

The first film in this franchise was rather good. They managed to contain themselves, and the scenes of NYC from times gone by, were very well done.

The last Hobbitt movie was overdone.

Pick one of those and eliminate it. Replace it with something better. Might be surprised at the results I'm 58, cut the soda, replaced it with stuff the pros use, lost 50lbs. Not overnite....took about 6 months.
Yeah pop is one of the things that's gone. I have some left but I'm slow at drinking it, but I've eliminated a bunch of stuff. It's an all out war on SUGAR, which shows up in so many things it's mind boggling, and I've started calorie counting. I'm a chocolate milk lover. Could down a gallon of 1% chocolate milk in 4 or 5 days, but it's full of fat and calories even thought it's 1%, and the chips and dip. I'm cutting out the chips full of fat. But that's just a start. Going to drink a lot more water, adjust my portion size, what I eat, when I eat. Going to cut out as many processed foods as I can and try and eat fresh, more fruits, more fresh veggies, it's a work in progress. Just got tired of slowly gaining weight, never going the other way, just a few pounds more, every year, a few pounds more. I know it's probably due to my metabolism slowing down, but the gym was the first step. I just don't want to let old age completely run amok and turn me into a flabby old fat guy. Not going to do that without doing what I can to stop it. I don't mind getting older per say, but I don't want to just let my health go to pot without doing what I can stay healthy.

Last edited:
When I felt something wasnt right at home and dragged out of my wife of 23 yrs she had an affair and wanted to "explore" the situation, he was constantly asking how I was.. Now I'm wondering if there isn't something I could have done or should have noticed. He seemed like he was ok
Yeah my older brother took his life too. It's hard on the family.

I lost my Dad in 2012 also. Nothing in life prepares you for the passing of a parent.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Even had you known he was contemplating suicide, you can't blame yourself for their actions.

I agree with the resistance weight training so long as we know what we are doing and don't expect miracles after a certain age. And since 60 became the new 40, nothing much is ever too late to start something that makes us healthier and improves our lives. I have learned and accepted that shedding unwanted pounds after a certain age is no easy feat but can be accomplished if we understand that the trend is more important that what the scales show. As I recall, you don't have a problem with excess poundage though.

My counsel re diet is not to eliminate foods we love and would seriously miss unless we have an allergy or other intolerance to those foods and they are making us sick. Giving up everything we really enjoy eating just makes us feel deprived. What I do and try to do for Hombre--he's a bit more stubborn about that than I am :)--is change the proportions. I try to enjoy smaller portions of the less-than-stellar stuff I love, like fried chicken, and fill up on the lower cal veggies. I still enjoy dessert but a smaller portion than I used to take and satisfy my sweet tooth with fresh fruit or such.

We do avoid most processed foods these days and prepare meals with fresh or frozen ingredients. Using frozen fruit and veggies are sometimes healthier than fresh because they are harvested and flash frozen at peak quality and have all their vitamins and minerals intact. But I still like to use fresh fruit and produce especially locally grown and recently harvested when I can get it. Nothing you buy at the super market can compare to a vine ripened tomato out of your own garden. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I agree with the resistance weight training so long as we know what we are doing and don't expect miracles after a certain age. And since 60 became the new 40, nothing much is ever too late to start something that makes us healthier and improves our lives. I have learned and accepted that shedding unwanted pounds after a certain age is no easy feat but can be accomplished if we understand that the trend is more important that what the scales show. As I recall, you don't have a problem with excess poundage though.

My counsel re diet is not to eliminate foods we love and would seriously miss unless we have an allergy or other intolerance to those foods and they are making us sick. Giving up everything we really enjoy eating just makes us feel deprived. What I do and try to do for Hombre--he's a bit more stubborn about that than I am :)--is change the proportions. I try to enjoy smaller portions of the less-than-stellar stuff I love, like fried chicken, and fill up on the lower cal veggies. I still enjoy dessert but a smaller portion than I used to take and satisfy my sweet tooth with fresh fruit or such.

We do avoid most processed foods these days and prepare meals with fresh or frozen ingredients. Using frozen fruit and veggies are sometimes healthier than fresh because they are harvested and flash frozen at peak quality and have all their vitamins and minerals intact. But I still like to use fresh fruit and produce especially locally grown and recently harvested when I can get it. Nothing you buy at the super market can compare to a vine ripened tomato out of your own garden. :)
Well, true, I never did have a bad weight problem, and what weight I do have I carry rather well, but it's personal to me. The ole middle section is a lot bigger than it was when I was 40, that's for sure, and personally I hate it. It's not healthy either. I don't have any reason medically why I should gain weight either. It basically boils down to eating more calories than I burn. Someone my age, height and weight burns about 2,500 calories every 24 hours, at rest, maybe a little more or less depending on your own metabolic rate, so, all I have to do to lose weight is take in less calories than that in a day.

It can be hard to do too, I totally get where you're coming from. There are some things I refuse to give up. I like fresh salsa so I'm just going to have to have some tortilla chips for that, even though I'm giving up all other chips. I did find some Tostinos organic tortilla chips that are a little bit better for you. I have a bag I haven't opened yet. But, the chocolate chunk cookies are gone, the nutty bars are gone, the Carnation coffee creamer is gone, that was FULL of fat, and all such things like that. I don't expect to start dropping the pounds like crazy, but I do expect to slowly start going down.

It is startling though when you go through what you eat and drink and start reading the labels, seeing how much fat, sugar, chemicals and calories per serving you're eating and drinking.

Last edited:
Just got word that it's all the same cancer and the UNM doc wants her to see an Oncology Gynecologist since that's where the cancer appears to have started and our local Oncologist agrees. We'll have to go back up to UNM Albuquerque once we get an appointment. After that we decide where we want to start treatment, here in Roswell or up in Albuquerque.

Two days ago I bought the dog some rope chew toys, trying to give him more things to chew so that he'd leave alone those things he shouldn't chew. Today I found out he had completely destroyed the Roku controller (Roku is a device for streaming things on the TV), which we only got a couple of weeks ago to replace the original Roku controller which he had chewed. After getting in trouble for that, I later found him tearing up the living room carpet yet again.

Yay puppies! :mad:

Two days ago I bought the dog some rope chew toys, trying to give him more things to chew so that he'd leave alone those things he shouldn't chew. Today I found out he had completely destroyed the Roku controller (Roku is a device for streaming things on the TV), which we only got a couple of weeks ago to replace the original Roku controller which he had chewed. After getting in trouble for that, I later found him tearing up the living room carpet yet again.

Ya know... I love the critters... I love pets... but I wouldn't tolerate that. The dog would either be caged and/or given limited access to parts of the house or it would be down the road. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I realize some people have a lot more patience than I do.

We have a Black Lab/Texas Blue Lacy mix and a Texas Blue Lacy. The Lacy will chew on anything he can grip with his teeth and swallows anything he chews You can tell his poop from the Lab/Lacy by the bits of colored rubber balls, tennis balls, bones, plastic water bottles and sticks of wood. I experimented with every dog toy I could buy until I found the perfect one. They make balls and bones and are indestructible but I prefer the chew toy that looks like the Michelin Man. They're called Kong and comes in different sizes and shapes. The one good thing about the dogs is that thew don't chew shoes and don't tear up the place.

2 examples and a link to the product.

upload_2018-11-29_12-7-37.png
upload_2018-11-29_12-8-12.png

The dogs learn to get the treats quickly but I put peanut butter in them and they can spend an hour trying to get it out.

KONG Classic Dog Toy

I'm sure there's a needy Vietnamese family somewhere that could use a puppy...... :eusa_whistle:

I'm sure there's a needy Vietnamese family somewhere that could use a puppy...... :eusa_whistle:
More likely Korean. I was in Korea and never knowingly ate dog. The Vietnamese I was with for 2 years preferred rats. I've eaten paddy rats as has many advisers who ate what the ARVN did.

Korea has dog carcasses in their meat markets and the Viets have rat markets. I've posted pictures of both in other threads

Forum List

Back