USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hooray ! I had a breakthrough with painting. I stopped trying to do my new picture because I could not see how to make it work. Then I dug out an old picture that I gave up working on years ago, and decided I could paint over the bad bits and make it much better. I only did an hours work and it already looks far better.

The main thing is I have loosened my style, not to try and be too realistic. I am trying to paint freely and leave visible brush strokes, like Turner or Van Gogh. They did not mess around struggling to paint in a photographic manner. They obviously painted freely and quickly. I have failed in the past because I was trying too hard for realism.

At the rate I am going I should soon finish this picture, and I will post a photo of it.

Woke up this morning to find 14 inches of snow laying on the ground. Looks like a good day to drink lots of coffee!

If I drank anything stronger, I would probably be putting it in that coffee. And it looks like you guys are in the bullseye of a major winter storm/early blizzard. Keep safe and warm.

Yippee ! Had another good days painting, I am definitely out of the woods. My old picture that I had abandoned years ago is really getting somewhere. I also now think I can probably finish a big painting (6 feet wide) that failed last year. I posted my failure in the arts forum, and could not see how I could save that picture. I gave up painting altogether for a year, but I can see my way forward at last, mainly due to loosening up my style of working.

It's getting down to the upper 30's tonight here in Florida. I believe this might be a sign of the apocalypse.

32559700232_b8c183ef96_b.jpg

It's getting down to the upper 30's tonight here in Florida. I believe this might be a sign of the apocalypse.

32559700232_b8c183ef96_b.jpg
Here in NM we need a minimum of 7 feet of snow pack in the mountains over the season to break even with the drought. There's already 30 inches in the northern NM mountains...... That's a good start. :thup:

Woke up this morning to find 14 inches of snow laying on the ground. Looks like a good day to drink lots of coffee!
I was sure ready. Actually would like to try out the new cab on the John Deere, but it missed us completely. They predicted we might get an inch but, nothin'.

Supposed to RAIN and be 40 degrees Saturday here. We've had enough rain.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Gracie & Mr. G now homeless again
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Montrovant in difficult transition
Nosmo's mom back in the hospital
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.

JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Beautress's friend EJ undergoing chemo.
Ringel and Mrs. Ringel awaiting diagnosis.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

something-encouragement-and-inspiration-at-www-abettermedaybyday-com-20141007110722-5433c96a0f55b.jpg

Got back home about an hour ago, the UNM appointment was with an Oncology surgeon who looked at all the reports, etc and squeezed us in with a medical oncologist about an hour or so later. Basically the surgeon didn't think it was necessary to remove any body parts just yet, wants to give the chemo a try first, the medical oncologist was simply a second opinion who echoed what others have been saying, it just the sarcoma that has spread but it's good we're making sure. They also appeared to question why we were there seeing them........ So was I.......

It was good being back in Albuquerque if only for a short time, we miss it, still trying to figure out how we can get back there but for now we're stuck in a lease until next July.

Last edited:
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Gracie & Mr. G now homeless again
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Montrovant in difficult transition
Nosmo's mom back in the hospital
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.

JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Beautress's friend EJ undergoing chemo.
Ringel and Mrs. Ringel awaiting diagnosis.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

something-encouragement-and-inspiration-at-www-abettermedaybyday-com-20141007110722-5433c96a0f55b.jpg
I was always told an expert is a drip under pressure....... :eusa_whistle:

It's Movie Night again and I'm at the Learning Center showing The Grapes of Wrath. What a movie! Possibly the best cinematography ever shot in Hollywood history.

More folks here tonight than ever before! Next week is Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck in Ball of Fire. Then Christmas movies start up with The Man who came to Dinner with Monty Woolley and Bette Davis. Then The Bishop's Wife with Loretta Young and Cary Grant.

It's Movie Night again and I'm at the Learning Center showing The Grapes of Wrath. What a movie! Possibly the best cinematography ever shot in Hollywood history.

More folks here tonight than ever before! Next week is Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck in Ball of Fire. Then Christmas movies start up with The Man who came to Dinner with Monty Woolley and Bette Davis. Then The Bishop's Wife with Loretta Young and Cary Grant.

Our movie day with Dana, still severely handicapped after her heart transplant--long story there--and Aunt Betty who is living her 92nd year but seems more like a 50 or 60 year old, we try to choose classic movies with good acting and strong story lines with a minimum of gratuitous sex and violence. Last Sunday we watched "To Kill a Mocking Bird." I had forgotten what an amazing film it was. It will be hard to find something comparable for this coming weekend.

I will agree with you that though somewhat depressing "The Grapes of Wrath" is also an amazing film and one that everybody should see at least once.

Got back home about an hour ago, the UNM appointment was with an Oncology surgeon who looked at all the reports, etc and squeezed us in with a medical oncologist about an hour or so later. Basically the surgeon didn't think it was necessary to remove any body parts just yet, wants to give the chemo a try first, the medical oncologist was simply a second opinion who echoed what others have been saying, it just the sarcoma that has spread but it's good we're making sure. They also appeared to question why we were there seeing them........ So was I.......

It was good being back in Albuquerque if only for a short time, we miss it, still trying to figure out how we can get back there but for now we're stuck in a lease until next July.

I would like for you two to return to Albuquerque too. It isn't like we visited back and forth or anything, but I liked knowing you were here.

Our movie day with Dana, still severely handicapped after her heart transplant--long story there--and Aunt Betty who is living her 92nd year but seems more like a 50 or 60 year old, we try to choose classic movies with good acting and strong story lines with a minimum of gratuitous sex and violence. Last Sunday we watched "To Kill a Mocking Bird." I had forgotten what an amazing film it was. It will be hard to find something comparable for this coming weekend.

I will agree with you that though somewhat depressing "The Grapes of Wrath" is also an amazing film and one that everybody should see at least once.
Here's the January lineup:

January 2
Some Like it Hot

January 9
It Happened one Night

January 16
Breakfast at Tiffany's

January 23
How Green was my Valley

January 30
Singin' in the Rain

That's a pretty good start for the new year.

January 2
Some Like it Hot

January 9
It Happened one Night

January 16
Breakfast at Tiffany's

January 23
How Green was my Valley

January 30
Singin' in the Rain

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a single one of those movies. :p I've probably seen a scene here and there, but that's it. That includes The Grapes of Wrath and To Kill a Mockingbird. If I have seen any of them, it was when I was young and I don't remember it.

January 2
Some Like it Hot

January 9
It Happened one Night

January 16
Breakfast at Tiffany's

January 23
How Green was my Valley

January 30
Singin' in the Rain

I know I've seen Some Like it Hot with Marilyn Monroe and Singin' in the Rain with Gene Kelly, just not sure about seeing the others.

ACK, as always, now I've got that song stuck in my head (Singin in the Rain) :p

Forum List

Back